Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

kustomkarkommando posted:

The music industry press puts out stuff like that all the time.

Punk is dead and all

Wasn't there a similar tempest in a teapot called Metalgate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I thought we were upset at the idea of someone losing their job over what they said?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Someone wrote a blogpost about some metal lyrics, GG tried to rally the metal hordes to gather support for their cause. Everyone else just went :lol:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

goku im piss posted:

Not to prop them up, but are you sure you're not being entirely disingenuous with that assertion and the assumption about the articles themselves?

They all appeared around the same time, pointed to either to a toxic gaming culture or the Gaming identity and elements related. I wasn't quite sure what to think of them myself, but after reading them, a common theme emerges, and while its more or less business as usual for the sites that hosted them, its highly suspect that the tone is nearly the same across the board.

Obviously the styles of the articles are different. but the vitriol contained within made it seem more the the authors were writing about mass genocide than just trollish immature behavior from some members of the gaming community and the general vulgarity of the channers.

this is easily explained by a common, non-gamer and non-internet perspective of incredulousness when your average person encounters gamergate for the first time. 'gamers' do not come out looking well, and you don't need a conspiracy to explain why

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

lol forgot about that as it largely blew over instead of being dragged out for months on end as people sought to claim they where fighting a war for the soul of a medium.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

I'm pretty sure if you want to piss off metal fans you tell them metal isn't dead.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm just wondering if this is the first time people have encountered cultural criticism of the media they enjoy? From what I can tell Sarkeesian's videos are feminism 101 stuff, so the vitriol aimed at her seems over the top (and misguided, if the movement is about games journalism or censorship or whatever). None of this is new!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Totalizator posted:

Not all but some of them. They're rude, preachy and dismissive based on little to no fact checking whatsoever and a clear bias against gamers. I actually encountered the original batch before I knew of gamergate and even then thought it's smug bullshit.

isn't it a little weird to think an article is rude, preachy, or dismissive when it factually points out that some elements of gamer culture are based on exclusion and hostitily towards women? i don't take it personally when someone says something mean about my hobby

Exclamation Marx posted:

I'm just wondering if this is the first time people have encountered cultural criticism of the media they enjoy? From what I can tell Sarkeesian's videos are feminism 101 stuff, so the vitriol aimed at her seems over the top (and misguided, if the movement is about games journalism or censorship or whatever). None of this is new!

i think this is the core of it, except that 'gamers' are overly sensitive and lack perspective as to how important internet culture really is in society

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fabricated posted:

Hey wow someone finally realized that Thug Drunk is a really lovely and bad poster, almost a zillion posts later after i had him pegged as a retard after looking at a single lovely post from him gj

Tezzor was at least pretty funny sometimes but this "constant disingenuous smug rhetorical line of questions and deliberate misunderstandings" gimmick is really, really awful.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

VJeff posted:

Tezzor was at least pretty funny sometimes but this "constant disingenuous smug rhetorical line of questions and deliberate misunderstandings" gimmick is really, really awful.

Welcome to Debate and Discussion.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

VJeff posted:

It's all someone who doesn't realize the irony of calling antis neo puritans deserves

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Exclamation Marx posted:

Link to the big collage of death threats that has things that aren't death threats? I tried to google but got a bunch of truther-style forensics about timestamps.

The examples I've seen where they forensically cite timestamps generally involve the screen captures provided by the alleged victims having timestamps of tweets that were posted 1 second before the screencap was taken. For that to happen the Twitter user would either have to be actively monitoring their twitter feed and had their finger right on Print Screen the moment something popped up, or, they argue this is more likely: they fabricated the tweets then made a screencap after they sent in the fake death threat. I don't know if that's what you saw or if there's other stuff, though.

There were a couple examples posted earlier in this thread of very obviously fake death threats that an user sent to herself, using her own Twitter account, but clearly only a couple examples is not enough to make a sweeping conclusion about any of this, and I can forgive you if you don't want to wade through a 80 page thread looking for them. I certainly don't want to! God bless.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Exclamation Marx posted:

Personally my beef with Sarkeesian is the whole kickstarter which raised $400,000 and what came out was poor production videos which aren't even finished yet, and then doing a really lovely analysis. I'd say there's a legit feminist angle to critique video games and some of the points she raises are good, but a lot of it is her cherry picking examples and skewing things.

The best way to deal with Sarkeesian is just to do counter analysis and critiques of her analysis, then for people to make better versions of her analysis, and basically follow the road of discourse and free speech, which a fair number of people did... and others less so.

Still, most people's problem with Sarkeesian isn't really with her at this point, it's her barrel of laughs partner McIntosh.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Brannock posted:

The examples I've seen where they forensically cite timestamps generally involve the screen captures provided by the alleged victims having timestamps of tweets that were posted 1 second before the screencap was taken. For that to happen the Twitter user would either have to be actively monitoring their twitter feed and had their finger right on Print Screen the moment something popped up, or, they argue this is more likely: they fabricated the tweets then made a screencap after they sent in the fake death threat. I don't know if that's what you saw or if there's other stuff, though.

There were a couple examples posted earlier in this thread of very obviously fake death threats that an user sent to herself, using her own Twitter account, but clearly only a couple examples is not enough to make a sweeping conclusion about any of this, and I can forgive you if you don't want to wade through a 80 page thread looking for them. I certainly don't want to! God bless.

Yeah, most notably Brianna Wu I believe. There was also one time she made harassment to herself on her Steam Greenlight page. We know this because she forgot to sign out of her developer account when she posted it.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

A few people tried to make "Tabletopgate" a thing but the only person that was pushing it was a guy who bragged about donating to a charity that used it's money to fight "anti-goth prejudice" so it didn't go anywhere.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

What's the dumb name of the anti-feminist movement in sci-fi books?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sinnlos posted:

What's the dumb name of the anti-feminist movement in sci-fi books?

Sad Puppies

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Literally The Worst posted:

I don't remember anyone ever saying film culture was a thing so that's a terrible argument right there

Even if people did, I don't think there's a "I'm not a cinephile because I have no life but because I choose to have many" poster floating around the internet somewhere.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Those are the ones! They actively gamed the Hugo awards to prevent any book not featuring white males from getting nominated I think.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sinnlos posted:

Those are the ones! They actively gamed the Hugo awards to prevent any book not featuring white males from getting nominated I think.

Yeah, after some leftie group rigged them the year before. Its a shame that they were necessary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shadoer posted:

Personally my beef with Sarkeesian is the whole kickstarter which raised $400,000 and what came out was poor production videos which aren't even finished yet, and then doing a really lovely analysis. I'd say there's a legit feminist angle to critique video games and some of the points she raises are good, but a lot of it is her cherry picking examples and skewing things.

The best way to deal with Sarkeesian is just to do counter analysis and critiques of her analysis, then for people to make better versions of her analysis, and basically follow the road of discourse and free speech, which a fair number of people did... and others less so.

Still, most people's problem with Sarkeesian isn't really with her at this point, it's her barrel of laughs partner McIntosh.

I would agree with this mostly. My problem with Anita is that in addition to and kind in spite of not doing her goddamn kickstarter (and the content in said kickstarter so far being really bad by almost any measure), she's found herself in a position with at least a little bit of weight in the gaming space, insomuch as a critic can have and she uses it to give a megaphone to a hyper-privileged hyper-entitled hyper-delusional clown like McIntosh.

Like, I don't follow her so maybe what I'm saying may not apply, but I just think it'd make way more sense if she pointed out good stuff and good execution of tropes and brought attention to good games instead of complaining about everything to the point where she's clutching her pearls over people getting excited about a new DOOM. That poo poo's just trite.

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, after some leftie group rigged them the year before. Its a shame that they were necessary.

That whole thing taught me that the Hugo awards are kind of a joke.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

God forbid white guy's go under represented

Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015
I've been a subscriber to Tfoot since he began, and he soundly called Anita out, but if you think this is close to being done, it's not.

Intel split 300 million USD between Feminist Frequency and other entities at the beginning of the year, which means how she spent it will go live around April of next year because Feminist Frequency is a 501(c).

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2015/01/06/intel-ceo-outlines-future-of-computing

You better believe every critic she has including gamergate is going to get a hold of that. Especially on how she spent her kickstarter, which is broken down in the next link.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/01/24/anita-sarkeesian-releases-kickstarter-breakdown-raised-440000-in-2014/

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm not seeing anything on this, do you have a link? All I'm getting are articles from serious journalism outlets saying the Sad Puppies gamed the awards, and suspect blogs saying no they didn't.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

God forbid white guy's go under represented

If it was due to cheating, then yes. Awards like these should be based on merit, not political agenda.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh my god whooooooooo caaaaaaaaaares besides a bunch of dudes mad about women ruining games

Edit re the finances

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shadoer posted:

I don't think they're lovely or poorly produced. I think they're a great teaching tool that shows how critical thinking can give us distance and perspective on the things we enjoy, as are her earlier videos about legos and Buffy the Vampire Slayer that nobody said boo about because even the insane human garbage that throw themselves onto their swords about Joss Whedon knew that there was nothing there to be mad about.

And her kickstarter was for like four grand. The reason it got so much more was because some chan scum thought it would be fun to ruin her project by threatening her and posting abusive messages all over it.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Unrealistic Idea posted:

I've been a subscriber to Tfoot since he began, and he soundly called Anita out, but if you think this is close to being done, it's not.

Intel split 300 million USD between Feminist Frequency and other entities at the beginning of the year, which means how she spent it will go live around April of next year because Feminist Frequency is a 501(c).

http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2015/01/06/intel-ceo-outlines-future-of-computing

You better believe every critic she has including gamergate is going to get a hold of that. Especially on how she spent her kickstarter, which is broken down in the next link.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/01/24/anita-sarkeesian-releases-kickstarter-breakdown-raised-440000-in-2014/

I don't think that Intel attempting to increase diversity in STEM fields is a bad thing.

Also, it is a bit disappointing to see that only 2 main series videos for Tropes vs. Women came out last year, but she is still providing the product that was promised.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i don't see how you can be angry at anita for getting way more money than she asked for. that's like being upset because she was too successful or something

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Shadoer posted:

If it was due to cheating, then yes. Awards like these should be based on merit, not political agenda.

No one cheated, the Nebulas have a hosed up voting system.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sinnlos posted:

I'm not seeing anything on this, do you have a link? All I'm getting are articles from serious journalism outlets saying the Sad Puppies gamed the awards, and suspect blogs saying no they didn't.

Sorry, I got the two groups confused. Sad Puppies was the liberal one and has been around since 2013, Rabid Puppies was the conservative one and formed this year.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

Sorry, I got the two groups confused. Sad Puppies was the liberal one and has been around since 2013, Rabid Puppies was the conservative one and formed this year.

The articles all state that Sad Puppies is fairly reactionary, and that Rabid Puppies have a documented neo-nazi affiliation, so I think you may still be confused. Seems like the only gaming of the HUGO awrds was right-wing, and its been attempted for the past 3 years.

Sinnlos fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 28, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
everyone go outside

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cliff Racer posted:

Nope. Sad Puppies is the one with Larry Correa and that Vox whatever moron

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

I don't think they're lovely or poorly produced. I think they're a great teaching tool that shows how critical thinking can give us distance and perspective on the things we enjoy, as are her earlier videos about legos and Buffy the Vampire Slayer that nobody said boo about because even the insane human garbage that throw themselves onto their swords about Joss Whedon knew that there was nothing there to be mad about.

And her kickstarter was for like four grand. The reason it got so much more was because some chan scum thought it would be fun to ruin her project by threatening her and posting abusive messages all over it.

Mostly I'll agree. You're right, her financial windfall came from people exploding on the internet and drawing attention to it and otherwise she'd be just another person making YouTube videos on the net. And in that context, this is fine.

However, she did have a bunch of stretch goals and made far larger promises. Not on production quality, but in the number of videos and what she implied the depth of her analysis would be.

Edit:

Dreylad posted:

No one cheated, the Nebulas have a hosed up voting system.

Alright technically there wasn't cheating, just gaming of the hosed up system... which I can't imagine how anyone thought would be a good idea.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
edit: wrong thread

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Sinnlos posted:

Also, it is a bit disappointing to see that only 2 main series videos for Tropes vs. Women came out last year, but she is still providing the product that was promised.

it's a loving kickstarter success story considering their usual metric

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

sick trigger posted:

Star Citizen will come out one day.

Edit: Yeah, it's a "success story" in the sense that crowd funding is a success... but that's part of the other issue that's been a part of gamergate, the victim culture and exploitation where people like Brianna Wu and the Honey Badgers have been playing the situation to their own financial ends. (quite successfully might I add)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sick trigger posted:

I feel reaaaaal bad for the people getting their hopes up for Yooka-Laylee and Shenmue 3.

Bloodstained however will be great, though, right? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
For some reason I suspect that Sarkeesian would have gotten the exact same response if her videos were 1080p and she sent out FemFreq tote bags or whatever. The only reason she got so overfunded is because she suffered harassment in the first place.

• Locked thread