Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sivores posted:

As a player of conscripts I second this and can not say enough about how much this sucks, that being said having a large amount of incredibly cheap bodies (at least 40 per squad) freaks people the gently caress out.

Picture of a gaunt picking up a discarded conscript skull in its mouth, a tear slowly rolling down its face.

Can't you think of the meat shields?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So, uh...

Help?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is anyone going to the FW Open Day? Might be interested in getting the alpha legion exclusive guy, but not sure how much he costs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

After putting together my first attack bike, I wonder if the Emperor had a perfectly good reason to use motorcycles in a galaxy full of land speeders, jet bikes, and other skimmers.

Because bikes are cheaper to produce and easier to repair?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Drake_263 posted:

So, uh...

Help?

For the love of god paint the bikes and riders separately.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ijyt posted:

Is anyone going to the FW Open Day? Might be interested in getting the alpha legion exclusive guy, but not sure how much he costs.

Yeah I'm going. I think hes around £15-£18. Krushgroove will know.

Sivores
May 25, 2008

All about that bass,
that smooth jazzy bass.

LordAba posted:

Picture of a gaunt picking up a discarded conscript skull in its mouth, a tear slowly rolling down its face.

Can't you think of the meat shields?

I play the tyrant's legion. That conscript died for a good cause, protecting his space marine overlords. So yes I do think of the conscripts but only how proud I am at the brave peasants protecting me and therefore Badab.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slimnoid posted:

For the love of god paint the bikes and riders separately.

As someone who tried to paint a DV biker, I concur.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Master Twig posted:

And the Skavtari...

Squeektari :colbert:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
The backstory is that the Imperium is now barely able to produce skimmer tech on something as small as a Landspeeder, it can't reliably manage it on something as small as a bike. Sammael's jetbike is an ancient relic whose operating principles were forgotten long ago.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well the Imperium needs to get off their rear end and research advanced teledildonics to get those jetbikes back.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Post 9-11 User posted:

The backstory is that the Imperium is now barely able to produce skimmer tech on something as small as a Landspeeder, it can't reliably manage it on something as small as a bike. Sammael's jetbike is an ancient relic whose operating principles were forgotten long ago.

The latest DA book (not the one just about to come out) says that while this is true, Sammaels bike has been destroyed many times and yet reappears as if never damaged. (Dark Angels have a jetbike STC)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Anyone willing to offer commentary on these two 1,850 Eldar lists? Your thoughts are always appreciated!

quote:

Eldar Army Option A: 3 Detachments
Detachment 1: CAD
HQ

Farseer
- Jetbike
- Spirit Stone
Spiritseer

Elites
x5 Wraithgauard
- D-scythes
Wave Serpent

Troops
x3 Windriders
- x3 Shuriken Cannon
- Warlock
x3 Windriders
x3 Windriders

Fast Attack
x1 Hornet
- x2 Pulse Lasers

Detachment 2: Aspect Warrior Formation
+1 Ballistic Skill

x5 Dark Reapers
- Starshot (All)
- Exarch
x5 Fire Dragons
- Exarch
Wave Serpent
x8 Warp Spiders
- Exarch

Detachment 3: Crimson Death Formation
Crimson Hunter Exarch
- Bright Lances
x2 Crimson Hunters
- Bright Lances

Eldar Army Option B: 3 Detachments - 1 Allied
Detachment 1: CAD
HQ

Farseer
- Jetbike
- Spirit Stone
Spiritseer

Elites
x5 Wraithgauard
- D-scythes
Wave Serpent

Troops
x3 Windriders
- x3 Shuriken Cannon
- Warlock
x3 Windriders
x3 Windriders

Fast Attack
x2 Hornet
- x2 Pulse Lasers
Crimson Hunter
- Exarch
- Bright Lances
Crimson Hunter

Detachment 2: Aspect Warrior Formation
+1 Ballistic Skill

x5 Dark Reapers
- Starshot (Exarch Only)
- Exarch
x5 Fire Dragons
- Exarch
Wave Serpent
x6 Warp Spiders
- Exarch

Detachment 3: Dark Eldar Allied
HQ

Archon
- Webway Portal

Troops
x5 Warriors

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

serious gaylord posted:

The latest DA book (not the one just about to come out) says that while this is true, Sammaels bike has been destroyed many times and yet reappears as if never damaged. (Dark Angels have a jetbike STC)

Dark Angels are chaos, the bike is a daemon :colbert:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So, all my Minotaurs Tactical and Devastator squads are in Mk VIII Errant, but because I have a bunch of Mk VI beakies left, I was wondering if I should do half my assault squads in Mk VI and the rest in Mk VII, or try and trade them off. I know there's at least one or two Minotaur guys here that might have a suggestion.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Crossposting from the miniatures thread:

I had way too much fun building this dude!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lungboy posted:

As someone who tried to paint a DV biker, I concur.

I think I have to paint 6 more bikes to finish my Dark Angels army, they're already assembled and already primed, but gently caress painting 6 more motorcycle mans. I love painting infantry and I don't mind painting tanks, but something about bikes I just can't stand painting.

Drake_263 posted:

This Chaplain does look pretty cool, but I really hope you left him unglued to the bike. Painting the bike and rider separate is one thing, but if he's gonna be black and the bike's gonna be a different chapter color, you're in for some frustration. That's the first I've seen of that model being used for a biker chaplain though, solid conversion.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Dark Angels being dickheads and hanging on to a jetbike STC makes sense to me.

Beaky helmets own, I use them exclusively for jump pack Marines.

Bike Chaplain owns, but trim those mold lines. For shame.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SRM posted:

I think I have to paint 6 more bikes to finish my Dark Angels army, they're already assembled and already primed, but gently caress painting 6 more motorcycle mans. I love painting infantry and I don't mind painting tanks, but something about bikes I just can't stand painting.

This Chaplain does look pretty cool, but I really hope you left him unglued to the bike. Painting the bike and rider separate is one thing, but if he's gonna be black and the bike's gonna be a different chapter color, you're in for some frustration. That's the first I've seen of that model being used for a biker chaplain though, solid conversion.

Sorry, no dice. Had to greenstuff him into the bike to get him to fit properly, took a bit of fitting to get his legs and torso to play nice.

That said, it's his personal bike, I'm just going to go 'gently caress it' and paint the bike black with him, give the fender maybe the same green as their shoulders. I'll call it..

THE POPEHOG

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 27, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Beaky helmets own, I use them exclusively for jump pack Marines.

How does it feel to be wrong.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Drake_263 posted:

Crossposting from the miniatures thread:

Nice! I was hoping to do something similar with that model to go along with my CM on bike and Librarian on bike, but I wasn't sure what to do with the long scrolls. In any case, that looks a lot better than my super-hero chested librarian on bike.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

drgnvale posted:

Nice! I was hoping to do something similar with that model to go along with my CM on bike and Librarian on bike, but I wasn't sure what to do with the long scrolls. In any case, that looks a lot better than my super-hero chested librarian on bike.

I was hoping to conserve the long scrolls but no dice, they were too far in the way of the legs. Easiest way to do the conversion seems to be gluing the torso together, then carefully sawing along his waistline, dipping a bit to allow for the belt buckle, and just cut from his left side to his right, stopping at the armored plate on his hip. Then you carefully cut up along his left thigh until the lines meet and his torso pops free - this'll leave you the lower body (mostly) intact for some other cool character conversion. Then you just need to carve the underside of his chest concave to fit on the biker legs (or smooth up the top of the biker waist), join the two together and slap his left thighplate with the scroll on it on (will have to carve the inside smooth so it'll fit on the leg, maybe carve his thigh a bit to make it rest naturally).

I was trying to do this weird three-dimensional cut to conserve the scrolls and crotchplate but that ended up mutilating the legs and I had to ditch those bits at some point anyhow, ended up doing a bit of greenstuffing to make the torso fit to the legs (used the bolt pistol holster on his left hip and the purity seal on the right to cover the damage). Live and learn, right?

Edit: The backpack was also a problem - I ended up having to cut and smooth away the back of the bike seat to make room, and then carefully bend the scrolls/reliquaries and purity seals back to make them rest on the back of the bike. On the pro side, it's one more glue point to make sure the two STAY together.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Drake_263 posted:

I was hoping to conserve the long scrolls but no dice, they were too far in the way of the legs. Easiest way to do the conversion seems to be gluing the torso together, then carefully sawing along his waistline, dipping a bit to allow for the belt buckle, and just cut from his left side to his right, stopping at the armored plate on his hip. Then you carefully cut up along his left thigh until the lines meet and his torso pops free - this'll leave you the lower body (mostly) intact for some other cool character conversion. Then you just need to carve the underside of his chest concave to fit on the biker legs (or smooth up the top of the biker waist), join the two together and slap his left thighplate with the scroll on it on (will have to carve the inside smooth so it'll fit on the leg, maybe carve his thigh a bit to make it rest naturally).

I was trying to do this weird three-dimensional cut to conserve the scrolls and crotchplate but that ended up mutilating the legs and I had to ditch those bits at some point anyhow, ended up doing a bit of greenstuffing to make the torso fit to the legs (used the bolt pistol holster on his left hip and the purity seal on the right to cover the damage). Live and learn, right?

Edit: The backpack was also a problem - I ended up having to cut and smooth away the back of the bike seat to make room, and then carefully bend the scrolls/reliquaries and purity seals back to make them rest on the back of the bike. On the pro side, it's one more glue point to make sure the two STAY together.

Yup. I did something similar for the dark vengeance librarian:

Luckily his book and the multitude of scroll bits I had laying around really hid the shoddier parts of the cut job.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Very nice! I've got one more bike chassis left over, so I think I'm going to make myself a Marine Commander on a bike at some point. Probably use some of the fancy spare bits I have lying around.

...Now tempted to order in some FW resin torsos...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Any apocalypse experts willing to give me some critique of my deployment map? It's 15k-20k on each side, arrow denote directon of strategic reserves, white blob in the red area is an imperial STC-forge that spits out non-superheavy tanks when they die. Green blob is an ork tellyporta that sends boyz into strategic reserves when they get wiped out, or owner chooses to remove them when they are below 25%. Stars are objectives. Big black bar is a bridge.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh man, the new Assault Squad has a Mk IV styled power pack, wish I hadn't built my tactical marines already.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Is MK VIII armor still stupid hard/expensive to find?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BaconCopter posted:

You've got the torso pieces in Space Marine plastic kits, with one each in the Tactical and Devastator kits. If you pair those torsos with the reinforced legs from the Devastator kit you can get a pretty close approximation of what MK VIII should look like.

As for the old metals, yeah, they're hard to find and generally pretty drat pricey. I've got enough that I'm planning on making an Honor Guard squad for my Ultras, eventually anyway.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SRM posted:

You've got the torso pieces in Space Marine plastic kits, with one each in the Tactical and Devastator kits. If you pair those torsos with the reinforced legs from the Devastator kit you can get a pretty close approximation of what MK VIII should look like.

As for the old metals, yeah, they're hard to find and generally pretty drat pricey. I've got enough that I'm planning on making an Honor Guard squad for my Ultras, eventually anyway.

You need more of the metals? I can probably score you a few.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Just had probably the most fun game of 40k I've had in years. 3k points, GK & BT vs. Necrons and Necrons.

I had deployed my Librarian forward to give Shrouded to my ally's Land Raiders, and on turn two he was charged by a small unit of Wraiths. Wanting to save my Librarian I moved my Grand Master up from where he'd been, but a particularly poo poo move through cover left him far out of assault range - but within 2" of a unit of BT sniper scouts. Quickly taking command he joined the unit, intending to use them to charge and slingshot him into the enemy.

Then we made the double discovery that the scouts had Rage from taking a wound, and were swinging at S6 thanks to Hammerhand.

That impromptu unit charged in six out of seven assault phases - they simply did not stop killing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

For my Minotaurs I consider any set of legs with rounded kneepads and the sergeants chest piece to be enough for the normal marines, and I add the champion pauldrons for my sergeants.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I've got a 5,000 point game lined up for today, my Blood Angels vs Dark Eldar. I'm going to shut out the part of my brain that is secretly dreading it and try to have some fun! I'm bringing a Knight, 5 Dreadnoughts, some Devastator Squads, Terminator Squads, and a bunch of Jump Packs.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Were the more modern style Rhinos in use during the heresy or will I lose all ham cred for using then rather than the special forge world old style ones sculpted out of pure gold and crack dust judging by the price?

Frankly I blame Ghost Hand for constantly bigging up 30k. My wallet... Please...

Also errant armour is the best armour. Going to paint up the sick Errant model Jack Mack gave me a while back soon.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Mk VIII > Mk IV > Mk VII >>> Mk VI

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Twisted posted:

Were the more modern style Rhinos in use during the heresy or will I lose all ham cred for using then rather than the special forge world old style ones sculpted out of pure gold and crack dust judging by the price?

Frankly I blame Ghost Hand for constantly bigging up 30k. My wallet... Please...

Also errant armour is the best armour. Going to paint up the sick Errant model Jack Mack gave me a while back soon.

If it is any comfort the three pack of rhinos from forgeworld is only ~30 bucks more expensive!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

raverrn posted:

Just had probably the most fun game of 40k I've had in years. 3k points, GK & BT vs. Necrons and Necrons.

I had deployed my Librarian forward to give Shrouded to my ally's Land Raiders, and on turn two he was charged by a small unit of Wraiths. Wanting to save my Librarian I moved my Grand Master up from where he'd been, but a particularly poo poo move through cover left him far out of assault range - but within 2" of a unit of BT sniper scouts. Quickly taking command he joined the unit, intending to use them to charge and slingshot him into the enemy.

Then we made the double discovery that the scouts had Rage from taking a wound, and were swinging at S6 thanks to Hammerhand.

That impromptu unit charged in six out of seven assault phases - they simply did not stop killing.

Can you join an allied squad as long as it has Battle Brothers? That's great fun, anyway, I love Scouts. On the occasions I have used them I kept them sneaking around going unnoticed, then planting a meltabomb on a dangerous tank or turning a crucial assault in my favor by one additional kill.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

Somebody asked Forge World about this, and official word is that the plastic Rhino kit is a-okay for Heresy gaming. I believe in the background they are similar to Mk7 armor, where they get a full roll-out in the latter days of the Heresy. So go wild.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, played a 1750 tournament yesterday with:
Tiggy
Honor Guard, 3 Tact Squads, Grav-Cents in pods
Scout Snipers
Vindicator
StormTalon

I forgot my display board...

Every game was a blast and a challenge. But here are pictures of the armies, once again I failed to remember to get any during the actual games, so I am a failure

Game 1 - Victory

I went up against this boatload of annoying unpainted Decurion + Destroyer Cult. A huge mistake on my part involved not putting Tiggy with the Grav-Cents, but with the Honor Guard, mainly cause I ended up with the ignore cover power, but forgot you have to be in the squad you want to give it to, versus being able to cast on other units like many of the other divination powers. Despite this I managed stay ahead on objectives, and we both had so much shooting that the turns kind of kept going. Chances are he would've beaten me if it had gone full game length. Heroes of the game ended up being the Honor Guard who swept a max size Warrior Squad of the table, and then despite grievous loses popped the Ghost Ark, and took down the guys inside.

Game 2 - Draw

Once again I failed to really employ my Grav-Centurions properly. Tigurius did not turn up the Ignore Cover power this game, and my opponent made his jink saves all day long, and then Webway portaled in behind them with Grotesques, which I dogpiled with tactical Marines in desperation, in hindsight I should've kept the Honor Guard in close. A very close game, that resulted in my Honor Guard once again really doing good work, managing to destroy 2 Ravagers, 1 Venom, and 1 Squad of normal Dark Eldar, and ultimately securing Linebreaker.

Game 3 - Loss

The utter bullshit that was this game was softened slightly by the fact that his army looked great, and the guy playing them was an awesome sport. He wasn't running Decurion nor was he running Canoptek Harvest, so I honestly thought the Wraiths wouldn't be that big of a challenge, but boy was I in for a surprise. I've never seen anyone make 3+ saves so regularly. That being said, I actually only lost this game by a single inch, when a tactical squad managed to fall 1 number short on their run roll to secure an objective that would've put me ahead in points. Honor Guard got stuck in an epic Melee Comabt with the Necron Lord his Lychguard, and a full unit of Wraiths. With Tigurius's help they managed to last a full 4 turns. I can't really stress how much I am falling in love with them. Really just plain better than Terminators. I dropped 50+ wounds on the second Wraith squad with my Grav-Cents and Tacticals and only managed to destroy 3 models worth, I was kind of beyond dismayed at this point, but thanks to the Honor Guard holding the line I lasted much longer than I truly deserved based on my enemy's saving.

Game 4 - Draw

This game resulted in a draw primarily due to one of the objective sets being kill points, and my opponent having barely half the number of units than me...I think kill points is bullshit, but whatever. Easily my spergiest opponent, but still a fun game. I decided to deploy different and had the Honor Guard and Centurions start on the field, and to Pod in the tacticals in response to his moves. First round things went South really fast as 14 wounds from the Flyrant and Crone resulted in 7! failed 2+ armor saves. I wasn't happy about this and it caused me to drop all 3 pods in a line blocking my Cents and Vindicator that pretty much utterly destroyed a full Brood or Hermagaunts, followed by a Vindicator and Grav-Cent barrage that destroy an entire unit of Hive Guard and Warriors. One thing I did not realize is how nasty Gaunts with Devourers can be, but games end these little buggers nearly blasted apart 2 full tactical squads. Still, despite my loses I had him back footed, and in the final turn Tigurius and the 2 surviving Honor Guard murdered the Hive Tyrant when it decided to land.

Other Armies

Winners:
Sexiest Army -

Best General - Dark Eldar - Apparently I was the only person he didn't just smoke.
Best Sportsman - Imperial Guard - Some kid I've never played against, who always seems to get this...seems like a nice guy.
Best Overall - Necrons(the lava ones) - This guy won a good number of games, was rated high on sportsmanship, and his poo poo looked great, definitely deserved his $40 bucks.

I still ended up being 1 of the 2 random $40 prizes given out at the end, so I snagged a Thunderfire Cannon for 20, and called it a day.

End Game Unit Analysis

Scout Snipers - Despite their upgraded ballistic skill they still don't really do much, but for cheap survivable units that were meant to camp my rear objectives they performed this task well. Overall, it is hard to say if they are worth the points without doing some kind of break down on how many objectives that secured each round. In the final round the Crone of course just roasted them with its AP 4 template.
Tactical Marines in Pods - We all know these guys, still feel I like Pods more than Rhinos, if Rhinos ever survived till the end of game or had AV equivalent to a Pod that might be more useful, but honestly dropping a pod directly on a objective and leaving it there just frustrates your opponent to no end. In both games I ended up launching my Marines into desperate assaults against Necrons, which in one case they performed a sweeping advance on a squad of 8 Tombblades, which ones pretty glorious.
Grav-Centurions in Pods - Honestly, didn't really effect the games as much as I thought it would, no one really had any high priced units that I could easily drop in and snipe with them. I won't say they were worthless, but there were more than a few times where they didn't really earn their keep. They did finally come through against Tyranids near the end blowing up Warrior and Hive Guard with abandon, and keeping my enemy scared of putting his Trygon Prime anywhere near my boys while still tearing up gaunts with their Hurricane Bolters.
Vindicator - Gave about as good as it got. Nothing to miraculous except 7 wounded immortals all making their cover saves and reanimation rolls. I'll likely give it another shot in the future.
StormTalon - On paper this guy just seems to good to pass up, but he effected pretty much jack poo poo every game. Game 1 - shot at stuff failed to kill anything, Game 2 - Failed to shoot down Dark Eldar Jet, then ends up jinking the rest of the game when the jet comes in from Reserves and shoots at it, only survives thanks to 3+ jink, Game 3 -Fails to kill Wraiths or Nightscythes, but that was everything that game, Game - 4 comes shooting at Flyrant, does no wounds, dies to Crone Haywire shots and Flyrant Devourers.
Honor Guard - Killed their weight in points every game, PowerMauls mean your dishing out lots of wounds, still can shoot like normal Marines, and 2+...25 points a model, yes please! Pod might of not been the best choice, might run them with a Land Raider next game.
Tigurius - Still awesome. Can anyone convince me to ever take a different HQ?

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 28, 2015

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sounds like a great time, but I'm just looking at this army list and :psyduck:. All those 'gants/'gaunts and Warriors... did he actually field melee-based Warriors? I just can't think of anything that would really make this work well and/or be scary for anyone in a tournament setting. Only two Flyers, making target priority simple and effective. Just... everything... my brain... hrrrg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Sounds like a great time, but I'm just looking at this army list and :psyduck:. All those 'gants/'gaunts and Warriors... did he actually field melee-based Warriors? I just can't think of anything that would really make this work well and/or be scary for anyone in a tournament setting. Only two Flyers, making target priority simple and effective. Just... everything... my brain... hrrrg

Well, the meta has changed to grav and S6 shooting from eldar/marines. Without S8 shooting warriors are a lot tougher.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 28, 2015

• Locked thread