Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

It's just one big ol' crusade. They skip the ground war nonsense with the fact that ships can literally nuke an entire planet lifeless, so whoever wins in space wins the planet which is pretty much true in 40k as well.
Wasn't there a summer campaign that ended with Chaos in total control of Cadia but the Imperial Guard with control of the space around it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CommissarMega posted:

:stare: How anyone could think this is beyond me.

I'm not a huge fan of them myself, though painting them made them grow on me some. Like I said, they make for really easy models to paint because the cathedral build gives them lots of raised surfaces and sorta naturally tells you where to highlight and trim.

Similarly, I think the silly huge shoulderpads on the Marines started out because they were a big, bare surface you could easily customize with the paint job to put your own emblems and stuff on.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Night10194 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of them myself, though painting them made them grow on me some. Like I said, they make for really easy models to paint because the cathedral build gives them lots of raised surfaces and sorta naturally tells you where to highlight and trim.

Similarly, I think the silly huge shoulderpads on the Marines started out because they were a big, bare surface you could easily customize with the paint job to put your own emblems and stuff on.

Yeah, I understand the why of the shoulderpad stuff- it's probably the best way to show off an emblem to be obvious to someone looking down on them at a tabletop. Part of the whole heroic scale thing. You also see huge guns, huge hands, and huge heads for a similar reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shumagorath posted:

Wasn't there a summer campaign that ended with Chaos in total control of Cadia but the Imperial Guard with control of the space around it?

Yeah which was really retarded. Why they wouldn't just exterminatus the place is beyond me.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Yeah which was really retarded. Why they wouldn't just exterminatus the place is beyond me.

The fortifications there are important, and it also has a bunch of fancy Necron pylons which hold back the warp.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Because then they permanently lose access to a vitally important choke point and fortress world. Exterminatus permanently scours a planet of all life and habitability, so they'd destroy the Chaos armies on planet and then have to defend a much broader front even less effectively next time Chaos came calling.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

CommissarMega posted:

The BFG game looks awesome, cathedral ships shooting broadsides in space rules, sorry to everyone who's so super wrong about this.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dunno, it just looks like Sins of a Solar Empire to me reskinned. And the combat in that wasnt really anything to write home about, it was just kinda there and unavoidable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dandywalken posted:

I dunno, it just looks like Sins of a Solar Empire to me reskinned. And the combat in that wasnt really anything to write home about, it was just kinda there and unavoidable.

I'd have sold my spleen to do some of the stuff that looks like it's getting done right in that game when I was modding Sins.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
No mods. GG.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah I never really saw the appeal of BFG over well, anything else. The cathedral ships looked really lame to me.

BFG actually plays rather well, with relatively simple rules and satisfying tactics. It's a weird mix of Great War/Ironclad and Ships-of-the-line tactics with area denying torpedoes, risky orders etc and a focus on not dying over just killing the enemy and taking objectives. As a game it's very unique, with only Star Wars Armada really coming close to it, having similar play styles but a simpler game.

The problem is that it more or less boils down to Total War Empire/Fall of the Samurai boat gameplay in a video game format, just with more torpedoes. And stricter targeting rules. And orks.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Skandranon posted:

The fortifications there are important, and it also has a bunch of fancy Necron pylons which hold back the warp.

And you really don't want to destroy the Pylons; they're keeping the Cadian Gate open and the Eye of Terror in check. If they get destroyed the Eye of Terror expands to cover the galaxy; Chaos calls this method of victory the Crimson Path.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The only thing keeping Chaos from obliterating the galaxy is a couple of poles on a single planet?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

victrix posted:

The only thing keeping Chaos from obliterating the galaxy is a couple of poles on a single planet?

There's over five thousand active Pylons on Cadia alone and other planets around the Eye have Pylons of their own, the Crimson Path is also only one way Chaos could achieve victory and is by no means the only way.

But in essence, yes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

victrix posted:

It's sorta the same in Fantasy, except the one in the north pole already exploded and all of Chaos's crap up there is the leakage.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Martello posted:

The BFG game looks awesome, cathedral ships shooting broadsides in space rules, sorry to everyone who's so super wrong about this.

Exactly! Enough of these streamlined and/or boxy sci-fi ships, give me more floating Gothic cathedrals with broadside cannons! Give me more gargoyles modeled such as to be holding their ships' macrocannons! More 80-foot tall golden angels on the prow armed with massive power swords so that they may ram enemy craft more efficiently- after all, is it not said that "Our prows are armoured for our sterns never face the enemy!" I want thousands upon thousands of indentured slaves lifting macrocannon shells into place by hand and chain, doomed to never know a life outside the hull from birth to death!

Give me Battlefleet Gothic, by the God-Emperor!

Panzeh posted:

Not everyone gets off to shoulderpads and faux latin catchphrases, dude.

CommissarMega posted:

:colbert:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CommissarMega posted:

Exactly! Enough of these streamlined and/or boxy sci-fi ships, give me more floating Gothic cathedrals with broadside cannons! Give me more gargoyles modeled such as to be holding their ships' macrocannons! More 80-foot tall golden angels on the prow armed with massive power swords so that they may ram enemy craft more efficiently- after all, is it not said that "Our prows are armoured for our sterns never face the enemy!" I want thousands upon thousands of indentured slaves lifting macrocannon shells into place by hand and chain, doomed to never know a life outside the hull from birth to death!

Give me Battlefleet Gothic, by the God-Emperor!

:colbert:

My favourite part about 40K ships is that they are literally flying cities, each with their own subcultures and social classes.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neruz posted:

There's over five thousand active Pylons on Cadia alone and other planets around the Eye have Pylons of their own, the Crimson Path is also only one way Chaos could achieve victory and is by no means the only way.

But in essence, yes.

so why doesnt chaos just blow up cadia

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mans posted:

so why doesnt chaos just blow up cadia

Because Abaddon is incompetent and never catches a break. He's made several attempts at Cadia and they've all failed; the last attempt he made during the 13th Black Crusade he went and lost at least one of the very few utterly irreplaceable Blackstone Fortresses to Necrons who saw an opportunity, though there are reports that the Necrons may have taken out a lot more than one and it's possible that Abaddon is now out of Blackstone Fortresses which would be a huge blow.

He did successfully manage to take the surface of Cadia, but the Imperium retained control of Cadia's orbitals so he had to resort to breaking Pylons directly by summoning a ton of daemons around them rather than just nuking the entire planet. He also lost his Planet Killer; no-one knows what happened to it because all the warp disruptions and nonsense going on during the battle means that exactly what occurred is something of a mystery.

At present the surface of Cadia is a massive firefight between Imperial fortress-cities (Kasr) and entrenched Chaos forces under Abaddon. The Forces of Chaos make attempts at the Pylons or other strategic targets every now and then and the Imperium responds by using control of the orbitals to launch targeted deep strikes on vulnerable Chaos positions while holding the line at the fortress-cities.

e: Oh and Abaddon doesn't want to break the Pylons just yet because they're keeping the Cadian Gate open; if he broke them all that would happen is he'd lose the Cadian Gate and the Eye of Terror would expand a bit; he needs to break all the Pylons on all the worlds around the Eye to achieve the Crimson Path.
(The Cadian Gate is important because it's a stable entry point between the physical realm and the Warp; without it getting his armies into the physical realm would be much harder so Abaddon wants to keep it open until he is ready to make the final push.)

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 28, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

That's a bit of an incomplete picture. Abaddon usually accomplishes his strategic goals during a Black Crusade, he just doesn't really care how successful he is in personal conflict. If a whole bunch of chapters get together to fight the great betrayer and uphold the honor of the Imperium that's great, because his people are off doing the important poo poo. That's really the defining nature of the Black Legion: they're very objective focused and typically aren't the glory hounds that other legions and champions are. They're an army. That fact that he has people on Cadia, blowing up pylons and holding territory is a huge loving deal. He's the first person to ever do it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
True but ideally he would also be able to contest the orbitals.

That said yeah he's causing serious havoc all around the place and for the first time in tens of thousands of years the territory controlled by Chaos is increasing.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Really it's just a handwave by GW. Abaddon had 10,000 years and had accomplished basically nothing, with all the Black Crusades killing Imperials but failing to do really much of note because GW doesn't want to upset the 40K status quo so they can't have them succeed.

Eventually they realised that this made Abaddon look like a total and utter failure so they added some fluff about how this was all totally definitely working up to some super secret master plan to bring down the Imperium.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

victrix posted:

Actually Cadians number several billion, iirc, and there's nothing Slavic about them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordja posted:

My favourite part about 40K ships is that they are literally flying cities, each with their own subcultures and social classes.

In the RPGs, my character once had to arrange a marriage between the feuding dynasties of the port and starboard batteries (kids loved each other, families wanted heads to roll etc), while fighting off the machinations of the nova cannon's ruling council because it behooved them to have the two families fighting each other. It was as :allears: as you'd expect.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
RE Chaos: it's not about winning, it's about having fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Chaos is anti-GW??

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Krazyface posted:

No, that's orcs/orks.

IMO Chaos has some neat things going for it on as sort of baleful cosmic id and manifestation of mankinds own hosed up psychosis combined with british metal album covers, but the writers now discard most of that in lieu a faction full of things a moody tween sketches in their notebooks, complete with character bios cribbed from popular anime. I think they had potential as being good bad guys in more than one way, but in practice, they're one note dorks and not even that entertaining about it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 28, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

team overhead smash posted:

Really it's just a handwave by GW. Abaddon had 10,000 years and had accomplished basically nothing, with all the Black Crusades killing Imperials but failing to do really much of note because GW doesn't want to upset the 40K status quo so they can't have them succeed.

Eventually they realised that this made Abaddon look like a total and utter failure so they added some fluff about how this was all totally definitely working up to some super secret master plan to bring down the Imperium.

When you write a universe where you turn everything over the top, jacking up the numbers and trying to make everything seem badass and threatening you end up having to write all the people as utterly idiotic, not in the typical short-sightedness of humans, but in just being extremely stupid to prevent everything from going up. Everything seems super handwavey, designed to appeal to 13 year old boys who don't think thngs through.

The Imperium is retarded and should never have been written in.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Panzeh posted:

The Imperium is retarded and should never have been written in.

Much like your opinions, posts

e: literally all your posts in this thread is regurgitating how much you dislike warhams

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 28, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bohemian Nights posted:

Much like your opinions, posts

e: literally all your posts in this thread is regurgitating how much you dislike warhams

I've never seen a ham superfan who wasn't a manchild.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I think you've stared too long into the abyss

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Panzeh posted:

He does have a kind of a point- if you don't like warhams, why post in here? Don't get me wrong, there's lots of manchildren who take things too seriously, but there's also a lot of normal people who just enjoy the spectacle of miles-long cathedral warships blasting the hell out of each other while eight-foot tall super soldiers battle demons on the world below. Or maybe the sight of ratmen shooting ratguns at knights on pegasi. No need to tar them all with the same brush.

EDIT: Unless this is all some massive joke (in the warhams thread? No way!), and I'm just too thick to get it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I just like the over-the-top-ness of it all man no need to be a dick

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I played BFG once and destroyed also the undead dudes. Much like all GW games the rules were written by retards.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Anybody in this thread who doesn't think Warhammer isn't a little dumb? I think it's a little dumb but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Anybody in this thread who doesn't think Warhammer isn't a little dumb? I think it's a little dumb but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying it.

Yo Warhammer is PLENTY dumb and that's why I love it so much. The grandness and stupidity of it all makes plenty of room for awesome poo poo to happen and surprisingly poignant stuff can form in the gaps. The campaigns in DOW2, specifically the Imperial and Ork ones, were pretty good about that.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Night10194 posted:

It's sorta the same in Fantasy, except the one in the north pole already exploded and all of Chaos's crap up there is the leakage.

Not at all the same as Fantasy. In Fantasy, there are 2 Warp Gates built by the Old Ones to facilitate travel through the warp. These are likely large Webway gates. They malfunctioned and blew up, and are like mini Eyes of Terror.

The Necron pylons were built to lock the entire galaxy off from the Warp, to completely ruin the Old Ones warp based powers. However, the Necrons didn't manage to finish the project, so the Eye of Terror is bounded by what they did get done. Presumably, there are Pylons all over the galaxy, it's just the ones that are important at the moment are the ones around the Eye of Terror.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Panzeh posted:

Games forum poster is much better, right?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

toasterwarrior posted:

Yo Warhammer is PLENTY dumb and that's why I love it so much. The grandness and stupidity of it all makes plenty of room for awesome poo poo to happen and surprisingly poignant stuff can form in the gaps. The campaigns in DOW2, specifically the Imperial and Ork ones, were pretty good about that.

Same here- if they'd played it straighter or smarter, it wouldn't be half as much fun to sperg around in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Warhams 40k is cool as hell if you take it from the Imperial, Ork or Tau point of view because it's Mecha-Stalin, Liverpool hooligans and beep boop snipahs fighting against all kind of weird aliens.

It's only really hammy when you play the game as Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar or Necron because they really try to portrait them as uber serious and badass factions. They're great as rivals if you fight against with the three above races but lol at someone looking at "Abaddon the despoiler" and not laughing.

• Locked thread