Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Poil posted:

I hope that number is wrong. :stare:

employment. Not unemployment. goddamn fingers betraying me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

double nine posted:

employment. Not unemployment. goddamn fingers betraying me

Yeah if you absolutely don't want any even temporary employment abandonment keep unemployment in the double-digits. Of course there's nothing wrong with your farms all getting abandoned, they'll grow back, the city will eventually reach equilibrium.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I find myself focusing more on this aspect of the game than anything else, does anyone else feel the same? I'll put an hour or two into designing a free-flowing cities traffic, and then build it in 20 minutes, play for another hour and quit.

I just love laying out roads for a city.

Here's what I'm talking about, does anyone else get this in-depth with it?

http://imgur.com/a/2tAVj#EYxQaZd

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Blimpkin posted:

I find myself focusing more on this aspect of the game than anything else, does anyone else feel the same? I'll put an hour or two into designing a free-flowing cities traffic, and then build it in 20 minutes, play for another hour and quit.

I just love laying out roads for a city.

Here's what I'm talking about, does anyone else get this in-depth with it?

http://imgur.com/a/2tAVj#EYxQaZd

I do sort of the same thing. I go real macro with a full-map highway system, then fill in one area with a local road system, then play for an hour and quit.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
So far I'm the opposite - I just slap down whatever, then six hours later "oh my God the traffic has stopped everything is dieing fuuuuck :supaburn:"

Extremely realistic and true to life 10/10 would hellhole again

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just put the finishing touches on my first city. 71,000 people, could probably go higher, but honestly to get more transport capacity I'd have to tear downa nd rebuild so much that I might as well start a new city with all of the knowledge I've developed and start building right from square one.

Say hello to noodlejunctionville.

The most important thing I think I've learned is that the green RCI bar is in fact a lie. Best gauge for whether you can get new citizens is the employment rate - if it's 90% or more start zoning more areas and people will come, even if the green bar is completely flat. Went through an extended period of no growth because I thought that no-one wanted me to build new houses; turns out that the citizens were just at a happy equilibrium.

It's a little disappointing that when you unlock the final purchasable block of land you have an odd number, and therefore your city cannot be perfectly rectangular, tho. Time to hunt down a mod that opens up all parts of the region, as in the end it's just a pointless money hoop to jump through and as long as your city's turning a profit it's essentially completely negligible.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 28, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fill in those goddamn margins and you'll learn 100 times more than you thought you ever could have.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
I have a set of five planes in 'Taking Off' mode that are continually circling my airport. They've been doing this for 3+ hours at regular speed, across two different play sessions. I'm using the airport runway mod that lets you draw it in just as you would a road, added this to the end of either end of the runway of the default Airport building. No idea why these planes are circling after taking, seemingly indefinitely. Subsequent planes which take off do NOT have this problem and leave my city just fine.

Basically, my airport is Die Hard 2.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Friction posted:

Had a bit of a break with the game and surprisingly my city from the previous batch loaded just fine with all the assets and stuff intact. Not going to retrofit tunnels here, so I'm going to call this one done.

What map are you using again?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord
God drat this autismal game and the 2 hours I spent watching traffic patterns so I could fix my seussian spaghetti city

e: I think the biggest lesson I learned today was: build and expand very, very slow. Just spending a couple of minutes thinking about road placement before mindlessly paving roads saves headaches later on. Although there's sort of a very strange, uncomfortable thrill when you fix some downtown gridlocked hellhole into a beautifully flowing commute.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 28, 2015

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Raskolnikov posted:

What map are you using again?

McKinleyville - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411080828

One of the best maps in the workshop, works really well with the 25 tile mod.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Something I learnt on Friday is always check the garbage. What I mean is I was so busy focusing on expanding my city and building an underwater tunnel across a wide bay area that by the time I had finished building on the other side of the bay I noticed I was losing money, fast. Turns out my landfills had filled up and garbage was piling in the street!

11/10 - most realistic city sim! Will drown citizens in their own filth again!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Avocados posted:

God drat this autismal game and the 2 hours I spent watching traffic patterns so I could fix my seussian spaghetti city

I would not, could not turn left here
I would not, could not turn left there
I do not like this traffic jam
I do not like it, Cim I am.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I can marry a dude now, but I can't marry this interchange? Please fix this, Supreme Court

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Freudian posted:

I can marry a dude now, but I can't marry this interchange? Please fix this, Supreme Court
That is one sweet interchange. :fap:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The trees in the median are a nice touch.

Also that looks a lot like some interchange I saw in China or somewhere, where they had to do the corkscrew to get to the proper approach height for the bridge, but I'll be damned if I can remember where exactly it was.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Probably Nanpu - it's what the imgur album's named after.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Freudian posted:

Anyone know what map that is? I like the look of it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The Reddit thread about it*

The map, California

*I know, I know.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is it possible to make a diverging diamond interchange in this game?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yes, but the traffic simulation doesn't work quite right with them, at least the last time the subject came up.

Traffic++/Traffic Manager may make them actually work as intended.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 28, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Goddamned, the more I try and fix the traffic jam in my city, the worse it gets. I wasn't even aware of the possibility of train congestion.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

double nine posted:

Goddamned, the more I try and fix the traffic jam in my city, the worse it gets. I wasn't even aware of the possibility of train congestion.

Generally the only way I've found to fix traffic issues is to cause them elsewhere :shepicide:

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
What I do is make a poo poo ton of on ramps and off ramps, and when that doesn't work I start to remove some. Then that doesn't work so I make a new city and vow to do it better next time dammit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

captain innocuous posted:

What I do is make a poo poo ton of on ramps and off ramps, and when that doesn't work I start to remove some. Then that doesn't work so I make a new city and vow to do it better next time dammit.

Sounds familiar.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

Generally the only way I've found to fix traffic issues is to cause them elsewhere :shepicide:

this is actually how it works in real life, check that traffic planning thread in A/T

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

captain innocuous posted:

The Magic Eye aha is that there is no reason to use anything except a 2 lane road grid with ramps and highways, but its best not to think too hard about that and reenact your favorite real life traffic fixtures instead because they all generally work as well as they do in real life.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Freudian posted:

Yeah, it's a real thing.
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.2100116,121.4974744,902m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
So, is there a recent, up to date list of must have mods somewhere? I havent had time to play lately. Got the day off and I feel like I need to be doing something that feels like work.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

i'm seeing people posting screenshots of euro-districts mixed with the "international" default set. I've sort of looked into it and it seems you need like 2-3 beta version mods working together to do it. Has anyone done this, how does it work?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Baronjutter posted:

i'm seeing people posting screenshots of euro-districts mixed with the "international" default set. I've sort of looked into it and it seems you need like 2-3 beta version mods working together to do it. Has anyone done this, how does it work?

It worked ace for a bit, but it seems like the district changer mod is broken atm leading to an error on game start and infinite load screens. I'd hold off for a bit until they sort the bugs if you don't like having to troubleshoot mod incompatibilities.

E. Just realised your question was how does it work, not does it work. It just adds another tab in the district policies bar with choices of what themes to load in that district.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I've made another themed collection - Flight - for compiling the various airliners on the Workshop together. I remain baffled at how very few themed collections there are - the vast majority seem to be variations on "good mods" "regurgitations of x category" "mods I use in my city" etc.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does anyone know of a guide for setting up a good bus/metro network? What distance to put them, how far apart, do you set up routes inside of your housing district or strictly between districts, etc...

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Buglord

double nine posted:

Does anyone know of a guide for setting up a good bus/metro network? What distance to put them, how far apart, do you set up routes inside of your housing district or strictly between districts, etc...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410236188&insideModal=1

This is more of a traffic/mass transit 101 sorta thing, but it's been incredibly useful for me. A lot of good pointers and pitfalls to avoid.

e:Actually its been updated. Theres a lot more stuff on here now.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There's a guy on Simtropolis recreating buildings from Simcity 3000's asian tileset, unfortunately they aren't available on steam so you'll have to install manually.

http://community.simtropolis.com/profile/708363-boldlybuilding/content/?type=downloads_file

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

PT6A posted:

Is it possible to make a diverging diamond interchange in this game?
DDI is just a roundabout going opposite of normal direction. :ssh:

http://imgur.com/a/C0A0n

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 30, 2015

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

sulphix posted:

I have a set of five planes in 'Taking Off' mode that are continually circling my airport. They've been doing this for 3+ hours at regular speed, across two different play sessions. I'm using the airport runway mod that lets you draw it in just as you would a road, added this to the end of either end of the runway of the default Airport building. No idea why these planes are circling after taking, seemingly indefinitely. Subsequent planes which take off do NOT have this problem and leave my city just fine.

Basically, my airport is Die Hard 2.

Was it this mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=465127441&searchtext=runway

I'm using it and haven't noticed anything weird but I'll keep an eye out. I was actually just about to post that anyway since it's a nice easy way to extend your runways (although the planes still only use the default airport section).

On another note, I bought this game for my 64 year old Dad's birthday (he's a civil engineer). He now messages me almost every day about how much he's enjoying it :unsmith:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

New patch out!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads%2F30-new-buildings-auto-save-train-fix-more-1-1-1b-is-here.867193%2F

quote:

Added 30 new buildings (growables)
Added tunnels for Pedestrian path
Improved error handling for when a mod does unholy operations
Added "unsubscribe all" button in the Steam Workshop category in Content Manager
Fixed De-zoning areas sometimes results in zoned tiles reappearing
Fixed trains stuck to map borders
Important note: This takes a few minutes to go into effect on old saves experiencing this issue. Please let it work its magic!
New option panel layout
Auto-save option added for games
Graphics: visual glitches with pavement on steep slopes fixed
Fixed polish UI audio volume not fitting the Options panel
Fixed the keymapping in all languages not fitting to fit on 2 lines
Fixed missing info tooltips for markers (smoke, large smoke, info tooltip shot, invisible parking space and steam)
Fixed the "-noWorkshop" toggle to completely disable the Steam workshop integration
Fixed mouse wheel to scroll the build toolbar
Added shutter sound to snapshots in map editor
Fixed left and right mouse button references in all languages
Ability to reset keybindings to default without losing all other settings
Installing multiple workshop items at once should not freeze the game anymore
Dedicated options space for mod settings (IUserMod.OnSettingsUI(), added checkbox, button, slider and dropdown support) - http://www.skylineswiki.com/Mod_Options_Panel
Asset editor: Added new thumbshot and infoshot tools for capturing thumbnail and infotooltip images, respectively
Asset editor: Automatic snapshot, thumbshot, and infoshot are taken when opening the save panel for an asset (unless the user already took them)
Asset editor: Save asset panel now has the ability to select which to use of available thumbnails and infotooltips
Asset editor: Trailer and LOD colors show correctly in the editor when editing color variations
Asset editor: Removed color variation property from trees since it is not used by the game
Asset editor: Optimizations on saving/loading custom assets
Asset editor: Fixed a bug where creating several new assets during the same session would get the same ID, resulting in e.g. snapshots going to the same folder
Asset editor: Fixed additional polygons sometimes appearing in the models when scaling and/or rotating models
Asset editor: Scaling the model larger no longer makes it vanish from the preview camera
Asset editor: Overriding only some of the lod textures (e.g. assetname_lod_d) now works again without having to override any of the others
Asset Editor: Railtracks now available in Intersection editor
Asset Editor: Loading an asset does not reset the previously entered description
Asset Editor: Level 2 specialized industrial buildings can now be imported and edited
Design: Now possible to see what all future milestones unlock
RUS/GER: Fixed the "View on steam workshop" text cut-off in Content Manager.
Fixed trucks stop and wait outside cargo train station, blocking traffic
Added population info in the load panel for new save games

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
So... what are the new buildings? The missing houses for the euro theme perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The most important change is that there should no longer be terrain seams along roads anymore, which was by far the game's largest failing. I hope their fix works well.