Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

tsa posted:

Cops not wanting to shoot their friend has nothing to do with the blue line and everything to do with human nature, there must be a lot of beep boop robots that post here to have this conversation go on for more than a couple posts. But that's ideologues for you.
:allears:

Please tell us more!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Go read this Jarmak, then come back. It is overwhelmingly a systemic issue to the point where your cops aren't cops.

The shooting before, during and after is a massive Blue Wall issue, but not the only issue. You keep trying to nail everything to a single point of failure in order to shift the goal post in your favour, but it doesn't work that way.

The shooting highlighted a massive combination of issues. You have the lack of mental health monitoring and treatment of police. Blue Wall protecting the cop while he was abusing his wife leaving her few options to break the relationship let alone do it safely. During the shooting the officer's training or lack thereof broke down as they once again as they could no longer asses the situation objectively leading them to incorrectly prioritize and protect the wrong person.

Things go into WTF territory when they fail to stop him when he shoots her the second time more than likely breaking procedure in any jurisdiction. They then continue to fail by not rescuing the hostage in a timely manner to render medically assistance even when the perpetrator has been clearly shown to be a threat.

After the arrest they completely botch the optics of the situation by hugging him instead of treating him in a neutral manner which runs counter to procedure(he might go for your gun!) and is yet another Blue Wall issues that does nothing but reinforce how hosed up the situation was handled. The lack of oversight means nothing will be learned, the department and police everywhere will wash their hands of the situation. The two officer will no doubt keep their jobs despite failing it on such a fundamental level that could be considered negligence. The only good thing the cops did was getting the kid out of the way, but even then they did it in disregard for the ex-wife and prioritizing the perpetrator.

Like virtually anything else it was a chain of failure and had the issue been handle properly at almost any point in the chain we be might not be here blasting the police about it. Having you and Dead reckoning doing your utmost to nail it down to a single issue so you can "Win" is absurd. You are mis-prioritizing and blowing up singular points in order to form any defence or derail no manner how asinine or illogical it might be when time and time again it has been shown entire series of events have been inexcusable. When we bracket this shooting with other shootings, it shows how wide and deep the failure goes just on police shootings, let alone every other systemic justice issue that is decimating your country.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

All that matters is the officer coming home at night to his/her family, and that's all police advocates will care about for the foreseeable future. There is a crime wave you see. Keep Safe Brothers in Blue.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Theres so many conflicting accounts of what happened with this story. After he shot his wife the first time, was the little girl still in the car? How long after the first shots into the wife did he let the girl go? And then, how long after the police had the girl did he fire the second shots?

There was a summary of witness statements on the last page and that gives the impression that all of this happened very very quickly and the waiting came after he had his gun to his head until they chucked the pictures of his family to him.

Here's the rough timeline:

Cop chases ex-wife in car
She swipes a cop car, where some cops were doing something unrelated
She crashes
He stops his car, hops out, and shoots at her a few times, with their 7 year old in the passenger seat
By this time, the other cops are there. They get the kid out of the car
The cop shoots at his ex-wife again four more times over eight seconds (this is roughly two to three minutes after he shot her the first time)
They try to talk him down for 30 minutes while building a scrap book
They slide the scrap book over to him, and he surrenders

The bolded part here is why most people here are saying "why the gently caress didn't they do anything?" Not as in there was nothing wrong with the way they acted the rest of the time, this part is just the most egregious.

Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 27, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks.

You said they made him a scrap book, but the other reports said they just slid a mobile phone over with photos on?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks.

You said they made him a scrap book, but the other reports said they just slid a mobile phone over with photos on?

Yeah, it's a joke, because they spent the 30 minutes finding pictures to load on a phone while the ex-wife of their friend bled out in the driver's seat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

Yeah, it's a joke, because they spent the 30 minutes finding pictures to load on a phone while the ex-wife of their friend bled out in the driver's seat.

Hey now, it only took 20 minutes before they even asked about helping the victim.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Thanks.

According to the one witness statement we have so far it appears the second shooting happened somewhat contemporaneously with the cops taking the 7 year old out of the car. From the statement you can read into it anything from he shot her the second time as the cops were leading the kid away to he shot her as soon as the kid was clear and the standoff resumed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can't we all agree the only people that cops should shoot are other cops

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

According to the one witness statement we have so far it appears the second shooting happened somewhat contemporaneously with the cops taking the 7 year old out of the car. From the statement you can read into it anything from he shot her the second time as the cops were leading the kid away to he shot her as soon as the kid was clear and the standoff resumed.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/06/eyewitness_to_cops_fatal_shooting_of_his_ex-wife_s.html

quote:

In all that time, while police officers had their guns trained on him, they didn't fire a shot, even when he fired off that second round of bullets into the Jetta, the witness said.

Seems like regardless of how they got the kid out of the car, they weren't out of position or anything.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/06/eyewitness_to_cops_fatal_shooting_of_his_ex-wife_s.html

Seems like regardless of how they got the kid out of the car, they weren't out of position or anything.

Yes that was what I was sourcing for my comment, way to grab a statement from the end of the narrative generalizing the entire 30 minute event and act like it was said describing the specific instant I'm talking about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Yes that was what I was sourcing for my comment, way to grab a statement from the end of the narrative generalizing the entire 30 minute event and act like it was said describing the specific instant I'm talking about.

According to the narrative you're supposedly using, the shooter ordered the cops to take his kid, and only after the kid was removed did the shooter take the gun from his head, walk around to the front of the car and shoot his victim.

According to that same narrative, officers had their guns trained on the shooter during this entire process.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

According to the narrative you're supposedly using, the shooter ordered the cops to take his kid, and only after the kid was removed did the shooter take the gun from his head, walk around to the front of the car and shoot his victim.

According to that same narrative, officers had their guns trained on the shooter during this entire process.

So you think the officer that was retrieving the kid literally kept his gun trained on the guy the entire time he was doing that or do you think maybe his partner covered him during that and the witness statement generalizing the entire 30 minute ordeal shouldn't be read to mean "literally every second of the entire 30 minutes both officers had their guns trained on the guy"?

Besides that my point wasn't that they were necessarily out of position more that they might have been distracted with getting the kid out when the second shooting occurred because its pretty unclear from the statements we have.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

So you think the officer that was retrieving the kid literally kept his gun trained on the guy the entire time he was doing that or do you think maybe his partner covered him during that and the witness statement generalizing the entire 30 minute ordeal shouldn't be read to mean "literally every second of the entire 30 minutes both officers had their guns trained on the guy"?

Besides that my point wasn't that they were necessarily out of position more that they might have been distracted with getting the kid out when the second shooting occurred because its pretty unclear from the statements we have.

It's important to use this article as evidence, except when it makes the cop look bad, then let's second guess everything.

It clearly says they have guns pointed at him when he's firing for the second time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2015/06/22/colin-boone-sentencing-excessive-force/29106285/

quote:

A former Des Moines police officer will spend up to 63 months in federal prison for kicking a man in the face and breaking his nose following a 2013 traffic stop.

Colin Boone simply nodded once as U.S. District Judge Robert Pratt read the sentence while the former officer's victim, Orville Hill, watched from the gallery.

"The court agrees with the government that the offense damages the reputation of police officers generally, and specifically the Des Moines Police Department and 'impugns the credibility and work of the hundreds of upstanding officers who serve with the department,' " Pratt said during the sentence.

A jury in March convicted Boone, 39, of kicking Hill as he lay on the ground, restrained by three other police officers after crashing his vehicle on Southeast 14th Street. He was the third Des Moines officer in the past seven years to be prosecuted by the federal government for an excessive force-related incident.

Boone's defense lawyer told Pratt that five years of probation would be a more appropriate sentence for the formerly decorated officer. After losing his job with the police department, Boone moved to South Dakota, where he referees youth sports and works as an EMT at the Crow Creek Indian Reservation.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That reminds me, wasn't there a legal case where it was decided that police aren't actually required "to protect and serve"? I heard something like that years ago. May have been another country.

Maybe Warren v. District of Columbia or Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That reminds me, wasn't there a legal case where it was decided that police aren't actually required "to protect and serve"? I heard something like that years ago. May have been another country.

Yes, I don't remember it off the top of my head, but basically it determined that the police don't have an affirmative legal duty to actually do their job. If I remember correctly the context was that someone sued the cops for waiting for backup instead of going in after an active shooter or hostage taker.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Which is not scandalous. It's not criminal for the Fire Department to fail a rescue or to not make it on time to the call, either.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

In the case of the cop who shot his wife that is being discussed, even after the second time he shot her (multiple times), it's inexcusable for them to spend any substantial amount of time "talking him down" even after the daughter was rescued because the presence of the guy and his gun, even if he's pointing it at himself or at no one, prevents emergency medical personnel from entering the scene and extracting the wife, as the scene is not secured.

No one can assume that she was dead unless, as previously stated, her head was obviously blown off her shoulders or something. Even if she was silent and not moving. Any amount of time beyond the briefest attempt to give him an opportunity to surrender himself substantially reduced her odds of survival if she was still alive.

In major trauma scenarios minimizing the time to transport the patient to definitive care (surgery, placed on a ventilator, blood transfusion etc.) is critical, minutes can make a big difference and a half hour of avoidable delay can be the whole game. So even if the longest period of time was after the second time she was shot, it's still a huge problem.

If the reason the officers didn't fire on their colleague was because of a threat to themselves, such as he was shooting at them from such a place that they had a high risk of adding their own deaths to the toll without an excellent chance of neutralizing him, that would be a bit more understandable, but the story doesn't seem to read like that, seems more like they were trying to prevent him shooting himself without much regard for his victim.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

Yes, I don't remember it off the top of my head, but basically it determined that the police don't have an affirmative legal duty to actually do their job. If I remember correctly the context was that someone sued the cops for waiting for backup instead of going in after an active shooter or hostage taker.

Something like that

quote:

Meanwhile, Warren and Taliaferro crawled from their window onto an adjoining roof and waited for the police to arrive. While there, they observed one policeman drive through the alley behind their house and proceed to the front of the residence without stopping, leaning out the window, or getting out of the car to check the back entrance of the house. A second officer apparently knocked on the door in front of the residence, but left when he received no answer. The three officers departed the scene at 0633, five minutes after they arrived.

For the next fourteen hours the captive women were raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon one another, and made to submit to the sexual demands of Kent and Morse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Also, according to eye witnesses, he went back around to the front of the car, opposite the side the officers were on, in order to shoot his wife again. So, they would have had to shoot through the car the ex-wife was in. Y'know, assuming the eyewitnesses are able to accurately reconstruct a shooting in detail.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Raerlynn posted:

Your constant defense of these officers does neither you nor them any justice. When I read that story, I was repulsed because they let a gun wielding madman murder a woman in cold blood in front of their seven year old daughter, and were more concerned with talking their brother down than saving the life of the civilian. That's a problem, and it needs to be fixed. Until it is fixed, you will have a substantial number of the population who are like me, who fear police interaction, because the appearance is that they give zero fucks about keeping innocent people safe, and zero fucks about keeping peace. Had the officers actually put bullets in the assailent, then sure they'd have my empathy, and my respect as well for heroically putting aside their brotherhood to protect lives. And who knows, maybe now nine people wouldn't have had to spend the rest of their lives without both parents.

You do realize that in hostage situations, that is the standard procedure right?

Shooting suspects is wrong unless it's the suspect I want shot.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsa posted:

Cops not wanting to shoot their friend has nothing to do with the blue line and everything to do with human nature, there must be a lot of beep boop robots that post here to have this conversation go on for more than a couple posts. But that's ideologues for you. It's really sad to see people lamenting these police were not more trigger happy just to prove some stupid point. Isn't that what we should want?

This in-group/out-group effect, as applied to the black public, is called structural racism

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Anora posted:

Don't most killing happen between people who know each other?

Do you seriously not get the difference between shooting someone you know with murderous intent and shooting out of necessity? In your world, is someone waking up and saying "I hate so and so, I want them dead," the same as saying "holy poo poo, so and so has a gun...I need to stop him....but...poo poo...I don't want him to die" the same thing?

the corruption issue that needs to be investigated and punished here is the failure to address the clear domestic violence buildup that was happening right under their noses.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

You do realize that in hostage situations, that is the standard procedure right?

Including hostage situations where the hostage is rapidly bleeding to death?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

In the case of the cop who shot his wife that is being discussed, even after the second time he shot her (multiple times), it's inexcusable for them to spend any substantial amount of time "talking him down" even after the daughter was rescued because the presence of the guy and his gun, even if he's pointing it at himself or at no one, prevents emergency medical personnel from entering the scene and extracting the wife, as the scene is not secured.

No one can assume that she was dead unless, as previously stated, her head was obviously blown off her shoulders or something. Even if she was silent and not moving. Any amount of time beyond the briefest attempt to give him an opportunity to surrender himself substantially reduced her odds of survival if she was still alive.

In major trauma scenarios minimizing the time to transport the patient to definitive care (surgery, placed on a ventilator, blood transfusion etc.) is critical, minutes can make a big difference and a half hour of avoidable delay can be the whole game. So even if the longest period of time was after the second time she was shot, it's still a huge problem.

If the reason the officers didn't fire on their colleague was because of a threat to themselves, such as he was shooting at them from such a place that they had a high risk of adding their own deaths to the toll without an excellent chance of neutralizing him, that would be a bit more understandable, but the story doesn't seem to read like that, seems more like they were trying to prevent him shooting himself without much regard for his victim.

The reason, as announced at the scene, was "you taught us everything we know Sarge" :qq:

Including, I presume, how much to value a woman's life.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

Including hostage situations where the hostage is rapidly bleeding to death?

you're right...in a situation like that, they should have just opened fire. Because opening fire in a hostage situation always goes well.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18378370-cop-in-ny-shooting-that-left-hostage-dead-faced-split-second-decisions

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

ActusRhesus posted:

you're right...in a situation like that, they should have just opened fire. Because opening fire in a hostage situation always goes well.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18378370-cop-in-ny-shooting-that-left-hostage-dead-faced-split-second-decisions

quote:

Then Smith pointed his gun at one of the officers, who fired eight rounds, Azzata said.

One shot hit Rebello in the head, killing her. 

Your example is actually just another of an officer not giving a poo poo about a hostage.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

ActusRhesus posted:

That's not remotely similar, and you didn't answer the question.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder what the response would have been if the ex-wife was brandishing a gun and the officer was sitting in his patrol car bleeding out.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ActusRhesus posted:

No one has said they didn't gently caress up. What people are objecting to is the line of thought that says "well they shot so and so without any hesitation, so why not this guy?" Clearly there's a lot that could and should have been done differently.
Would you mind giving us your view on how the New Jersey situation happened, and what you feel should and should not have been done differently, before and during? I'm honestly really curious to read your opinion as a prosecutor, and I'm kinda frustrated that so many itt are like so long burnt out they simply stopped offering their mind, only to seemingly argue for an argument's sake.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 28, 2015

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

CheesyDog posted:

I wonder what the response would have been if the ex-wife was brandishing a gun and the officer was sitting in his patrol car bleeding out.

Or if the officer decided to open fire on his fellow officers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ActusRhesus posted:

Do you seriously not get the difference between shooting someone you know with murderous intent and shooting out of necessity? In your world, is someone waking up and saying "I hate so and so, I want them dead," the same as saying "holy poo poo, so and so has a gun...I need to stop him....but...poo poo...I don't want him to die" the same thing?

Do you not get that it's their job to make tough calls like that? What if the murderer cop had a bomb, or was walking down the street shooting at random people? Should they let him do that stuff too, because he's their friend?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Anora posted:

Do you not get that it's their job to make tough calls like that? What if the murderer cop had a bomb, or was walking down the street shooting at random people? Should they let him do that stuff too, because he's their friend?

What if they thought the murderer had a gun pointed at them and they were actually wrong? I thought shooting the person in that situation was wrong, according to this thread.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kalman posted:

What if they thought the murderer had a gun pointed at them and they were actually wrong? I thought shooting the person in that situation was wrong, according to this thread.

There's a difference between "think he has a gun", and actively has a gun and is using it on civilians.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Anora posted:

There's a difference between "think he has a gun", and actively has a gun and is using it on civilians.

so whether or not something was correct depends upon an after the fact analysis with the benefit of hindsight. Got it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

so whether or not something was correct depends upon an after the fact analysis with the benefit of hindsight. Got it.

What do you think the reaction of the cops would have been if the same chain of events happened that day, except that instead of a cop it was a black civilian (heck maybe even a black cop)?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

What do you think the reaction of the cops would have been if the same chain of events happened that day, except that instead of a cop it was a black civilian (heck maybe even a black cop)?

Look, just like "it's hard" to shoot your friends, "it's easy" to shoot black people. But some people in this thread refuse to acknowledge this simple fact of reality :rolleyes:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean really it's not really an "active" shooter situation unless the gunmen is actively pulling the trigger at that moment. Cops should give shooters the full benefit of the doubt during the fractions of seconds between the individual shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape
What the apologists are also not getting is many of these "feared for his life so had to waste him" situations got to that point because the cop was demanding immediate compliance and escalated to a physical then violent confrentation. Idiot kid with no license who didn't get out of the car? There was zero threat to anyone if he didn't get out immediately but since he didn't cop gets pissy and starts screaming orders. Since he didn't put his hands in the right spot fast enough he gets tazed and freaks out.

Where was his 30 minutes to keep the situation calm and non-violent? When he was laying face down aside from not putting his arms in the right position nobody was in any danger. Why does scared kid only get 15 seconds before the tazer comes out from angry screaming cop? No empathy for a teenager who doesn't instantly comply? No trying to calmly talk to the kid and explain exactly what is happening, he either follows screaming cops orders in seconds or out comes the punishment.

It's laughable to invoke 'empathy' because they knew him since there seems to be over and over and over situations where showing a non-cop the slightest bit of empathy could easily keep a situation from turning violent rather than just start waving your gun/tazer and someone and screaming at them. Where's that supposed empathy in imagining you've gone from doing nothing wrong (most if the time) to armed rear end in a top hat yelling at you, empathy would make you realize being that person you've gone from zero to "holy poo poo angry cop pointing a gun and screaming what the gently caress what the duck what the gently caress" and maybe you won't be 'beep bop robot' and calmly follow directions.

• Locked thread