Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

And you are a voice which is purposefully ignored in American politics. You ever stop to wonder why you feel so disenfranchised, apart from swelling up with self-righteous rage at imagined 'corporatist monsters'? Hint: I bet you don't even contribute to your local and state political parties.

Maybe you should work within the system and understand that developing nations like Uruguay do not have the same institutional frameworks as developed nations like America, and that these arbitration courts are there to assist with appropriate policy inplementation in regions of the world susceptible to populist influence.

I love this whole post, but especially the end. You don't get enough credit, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's not anti-smoking legislation, its anti-imported tobacco consumption legislation, which does not impact Uruguayan producers of smoked agricultural commodities to nearly the same degree. It is protectionism which you refuse to see as anything close to resembling an objective understanding of its policy impacts.

The objective policy impact of allowing a tobacco company to sue a nation for enacting policy which can reasonably be expected to decrease tobacco consumption is to put nations under threat of penalty for serving the best interests of their citizens... though I also note you're simply making observations. Do you think allowing corporations to sue governments for these reasons is good policy or bad policy?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

And you are a voice which is purposefully ignored in American politics. You ever stop to wonder why you feel so disenfranchised, apart from swelling up with self-righteous rage at imagined 'corporatist monsters'? Hint: I bet you don't even contribute to your local and state political parties.

Maybe you should work within the system and understand that developing nations like Uruguay do not have the same institutional frameworks as developed nations like America, and that these arbitration courts are there to assist with appropriate policy inplementation in regions of the world susceptible to populist influence.
Yours is by far the minority opinion.

My hunch is that a majority of people from any country would believe that Phillip Morris should not have the right to sue Uruguay over lost profits because of Uruguay's anti-smoking legislation.

I cannot find a poll on this specific issue, but anecdotal evidence suggests opinion is overwhelmingly against Phillip Morris' right to sue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8

These corporatist policies are enacted because corporatists have undue and disproportionate influence over the political process virtually everywhere. These policies are not enacted because it is the prevailing popular opinion.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

comedyblissoption posted:

Wikileaks had released details about these arbitration agreements:
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-investment/press.html
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-investment/TPP-Investment-Chapter-Analysis/page-1.html

Politicians and progressives have been talking out against these arbitration agreements before this leak, of course.

They have released what are purported to be them, with absolutely no evidence they are. When is this going to get through your head?

These corporatist policies are enacted because corporatists have undue and disproportionate influence over the political process virtually everywhere. These policies are not enacted because it is the prevailing popular opinion.

Oh, word?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I'd love a separate thread for making fun of the republican clown car and other news about the race. And I guess this thread could be for endless arguments about Hillary/Bernie's lack of ideological purity and trade agreements or whatever?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

They have released what are purported to be them, with absolutely no evidence they are. When is this going to get through your head?
Wikileaks has publicized this content.
https://wikileaks.org/tpp-investment/

quote:

Oh, word?
The reason legislation such as NAFTA is able to successfully pass is because there is relatively little public debate and the public is uninformed on the topic.

If you asked respondents on whether or not multi-national corporations should be able to sue governments in a binding international arbitration court because the government passes legislation to benefit public health, you would likely get a very different response.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The reason legislation such as NAFTA is able to successfully pass is because there is relatively little public debate and the public is uninformed on the topic.

If you asked respondents on whether or not multi-national corporations should be able to sue governments in a binding international arbitration court because the government passes legislation to benefit public health, you would likely get a very different response.

That would be an awful poll question.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm a little late but is it safe to say that any pro-SSM Republican can't win the primary but any anti-SSM candidate can't win the general? How will they will deal with this?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yes, typically if you ask questions worthy of a push poll you get different responses.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I'm a little late but is it safe to say that any pro-SSM Republican can't win the primary but any anti-SSM candidate can't win the general? How will they will deal with this?

They will not focus on the issue in one or both races and hope it doesn't matter.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
I will never ever tire of The Donald's one facial expression, or him shamelessly complimenting himself.

Donald Trump giving up 'The Apprentice' to run for president

quote:

Washington (CNN) Don't expect a new season this fall: Donald Trump is giving up "The Apprentice" so that he can run for president.

The Republican real estate mogul cited the popular reality show as evidence that he "gave up hundreds of millions of dollars in deals and potential, you know, things that I do," in an interview aired Sunday with CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union."

"In all fairness, I don't want it to sound trivial, NBC renewed 'The Apprentice,' because we had a great season last season. And they would love me not to be doing this, I will tell you right now," Trump said.

"I mean the top people come to my office and they said, 'Please do this,'" he boasted of NBC executives, adding that because of his presidential run, "essentially, legally, I'm not allowed to do it."

Also, Mike Huckabee is not just peddling biblical cancer cures, but is also dabbling in mental health care. His first patient: Chief Justice John Roberts. And he's not letting go of this whole 'nullify Supreme Court gay marriage ruling' schtick.

Mike Huckabee Says He Wouldn’t Listen To Court’s Ruling As President

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says Chief Justice John Roberts “apparently needs medication for schizophrenia,” citing his decision last week to dissent in the Supreme Court ruling that same-sex marriage bans are unconstitutional but also writing the majority opinion upholding federal subsidies in Obamacare.

Huckabee further added if he was president he would not follow the rulings of the Supreme Court.

“I would say the Supreme Court has issued a ruling, we will review it, we will respect it, but we will not follow it, because it goes against the will of voters in over 30 states,” said Huckabee.

Huckabee was speaking with the Iowa radio show “Mickelson in the Morning” on Friday when he made the comments.

“Justice Roberts apparently needs medication for schizophrenia because his opinion is almost the direct opposite of his logical in the opinion yesterday,” Huckabee said to Jan Mickelson on Friday.

“Yesterday, the Supreme Court, with Roberts agreeing, essentially rewrote a law that Congress screwed up. They legislated from the bench. They did something they are constitutionally prohibited from doing. That they are restricted from doing. They did it anyway, just to save Obamacare. They made a political decision, not a legal one. They clearly flew in the face of the law.”

Citing the ruling that same-sex marriage bans were unconstitutional, Huckabee said the Supreme Court had become the “extreme court” and decided it was “the Supreme Being” and that “it could overrule the laws of nature and of nature’s God.”

“Today, they did the same thing, except this time Roberts, I guess woke up and realized that the Supreme Court was becoming the extreme court, that it had decided it was no longer just the Supreme Court — it was the Supreme Being,” said Huckabee.

“It has today acted as if it could overrule the laws of nature and of nature’s God. Today was not a ruling about same-sex marriage, that’s what I keep hearing. This was not quality of marriage, this was about redefinition of marriage, and Scalia got it right. The rest of the majority, including Kennedy, got it incredibly wrong.”

Huckabee made further comments in line with his Friday written statement from his campaign: “I will not acquiesce to an imperial court any more than our Founders acquiesced to an imperial British monarch. We must resist and reject judicial tyranny, not retreat.”

He told the Iowa radio host his reading of the Constitution said the court could not make laws, but only give opinions.

“Five unelected people in black robes cannot write laws,” said Huckabee. He added most of the justices, citing comments from Scalia, were either from the West or East coasts, or went to Harvard or Yale law school.

“While that shouldn’t matter, it clearly does matter because you don’t have a representative cross section of America on the court,” said Huckabee.

“The Supreme Court overstepped their bounds and until the Congress of the United States, consisting of elected representatives from the people, present a bill to enable such a thing and until the president signs it and agrees to enforce it, it is not the law of the land. It remains an opinion of the court, nothing but an opinion of the court.”

“The courts simply cannot overturn the ultimate authority in the United States under our Constitution: the people themselves,” he added.

Huckabee added government officials shouldn’t have to issue marriage licenses to LGBT couples because there’s been no legislation to authorize them to do so.

He further cited the Dred Scott decision to ask if those who endorse same-sex marriage would support the court if there was a future ruling in which the court changed their mind.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

rear end cobra posted:

I'd love a separate thread for making fun of the republican clown car and other news about the race. And I guess this thread could be for endless arguments about Hillary/Bernie's lack of ideological purity and trade agreements or whatever?

Completely agreed. I'm here to eat popcorn and watch Joementum document a Republican slapstick routine, not listen to humorless leftists and pedants argue over who bleeds the most correct shade of red.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wikileaks has no confirmation that it is true. What are you not getting?

You're just making stuff up now. Or you think those poor deluded foreigns are just too stupid to "question things". Also you're deciding that polls should be based on completely unsubstantiated guesses of what a treaty might contain. Sorry, but I place way higher stock in the Vietnamese and Chileans then you seem to.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Eh, I think the first part isn't true, but the second part definitely is true. A lot of Republicans seem willing enough to accept hurting the gays that way as a lost cuase, but they're sure as poo poo not gonna grab 270 electoral votes while rabidly against the gays.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Yours is by far the minority opinion.

My hunch is that a majority of people from any country would believe that Phillip Morris should not have the right to sue Uruguay over lost profits because of Uruguay's anti-smoking legislation.

I cannot find a poll on this specific issue, but anecdotal evidence suggests opinion is overwhelmingly against Phillip Morris' right to sue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UsHHOCH4q8

Just because an opinion is popular at the time, like Obama's complete pullout from Iraq with absolute refusal to send troops back in until ISIL threatened to perform a second Benghazi in Erbil, doesn't make the opinion the correct policy to implement.

If Uruguay is truly acting for the best interests of its citizens, and not enacting protectionist measures to promote domestic smoking-product agriculture, then Uruguay should have no issue making such a case before binding arbitration.

What, would you rather Phillip-Morris pull a Coca-Cola Brazil on the Uruguayan legal system, or that Uruguay is afforded the opportunity to defend its policies before binding arbitration? Because, like it or not, those are really the only two actionable outcomes of this kerfuffle. Personally, I'd prefer the process of binding arbitration to death squads, wouldn't you?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Faustian Bargain posted:

Judging by Jeb!'s response to the Supreme Court decision, the strategy seems to be to shift the subject to "religious freedom" (i.e. allowing businesses to discriminate against gays).

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eschers Basement posted:

Completely agreed. I'm here to eat popcorn and watch Joementum document a Republican slapstick routine, not listen to humorless leftists and pedants argue over who bleeds the most correct shade of red.

Do we really want to have two separate Primary threads?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

In terms of NAFTA/free trade, Americans are mostly negative.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/113200/opinion-briefing-north-american-free-trade-agreement.aspx
http://www.pewresearch.org/2010/11/09/americans-are-of-two-minds-on-trade/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Faustian Bargain posted:

computer parts posted:

They will not focus on the issue in one or both races and hope it doesn't matter.

That, but also by moving the goalposts. It is now vital that we "protect religious liberty" by ensuring that you don't catch the gay by baking a cake.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

Judging by Jeb!'s response to the Supreme Court decision, the strategy seems to be to shift the subject to "religious freedom" (i.e. allowing businesses to discriminate against gays).

Yeah, that's the actionable course to take. Watch Congress enact legislation to protect religious liberty.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

In terms of TPP specifically, Americans are plurality positive, with the negative side significantly lower.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
A second Benghazi has hit the thread

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Faustian Bargain posted:

Well, there aren't any pro-SSM candidates in the Republican pool. Jeb and Rubio are attempting to be the neutral-SSM candidates, but we'll have to see how much that dings them. After all they're already heretics on immigration. However a candidate who was simply neutral on same sex marriage could conceivably be unpenalized in the general election for such a stance. But then half the fun of the GOP clown car is seeing candidates attempt to appeal to their insane base while still remaining viable in the general.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

In terms of TPP specifically, Americans are plurality positive, with the negative side significantly lower.

Mostly because Americans' attitude toward policy is largely based on the attitudes of their politicians and when you have Barack Obama, Paul Ryan, and Ted Cruz all supporting something, most Americans will also support it.

Which is a good thing!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

Well, there aren't any pro-SSM candidates in the Republican pool. Jeb and Rubio are attempting to be the neutral-SSM candidates, but we'll have to see how much that dings them. After all they're already heretics on immigration. However a candidate who was simply neutral on same sex marriage could conceivably be unpenalized in the general election for such a stance. But then half the fun of the GOP clown car is seeing candidates attempt to appeal to their insane base while still remaining viable in the general.

I think all the pro-SSM candidates in the Republican pool are under Federal investigation this cycle, potentially for incidents which occured in the pool with underaged individuals.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Eschers Basement posted:

I didn't realize this was the Republican Presidential Primary thread. I figured it was okay to discuss items relevant to the 2016 Presidential Primary which, as far as I can tell consists of primaries for at least two parties. Although perhaps two threads would be better than one:

2016 Republican Primary: Clowncar Shitshow Mockery ITT (policy discussion not allowed)
2016 Democratic Primary: Smug Mainstreamers Lecture People They Think Are Purists (serious business only)

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do we really want to have two separate Primary threads?

I don't think that two separate threads is a great idea, but we can't seem to keep from devolving into slapfights whenever it comes to the democratic primary, because then it turns into the debate of cynics and idealists.

Even though I'm pretty sure just about everyone in this thread is going to vote Sanders in the primary, and then support Clinton in the general.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Lord of Hats posted:

Even though I'm pretty sure just about everyone in this thread is going to vote Sanders in the primary, and then support Clinton in the general.

Even the Republicans?! :monocle:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Lord of Hats posted:

I don't think that two separate threads is a great idea, but we can't seem to keep from devolving into slapfights whenever it comes to the democratic primary, because then it turns into the debate of cynics and idealists.

I want to vote for him. But I'm in Texas, and I don't know if he'll last until our primary, which likely have different rules since 2008 than I remember. Unless they're the same?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I assume Republicans are going to roll a d20 (might need a d100 in a few weeks) and let the fates decide.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

I want to vote for him. But I'm in Texas, and I don't know if he'll last until our primary, which likely have different rules since 2008 than I remember. Unless they're the same?

A vote is a solutary, private act, which is almost meaningless and with very little value.

If you want to be a valued stakeholder in the future direction of the Democratic party, have you considered making a campaign contribution today? A contribution of $10, $50, or even $5,000 will win far more votes than your single vote is worth.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Of course! Bernie gets 80% in Vermont, after all. That cross-sectional appeal is clearly going to translate to the rest of the nation.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 28, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

Texas' primary will be on March 1, the same day as Vermont's, and Bernie will likely be on the ballot. The Texas Democratic Party awards Presidential delegates based on the vote in State Senatorial Districts with a minimum 15% viability threshold, so maybe he picks up a couple of delegates in Austin out of the 137 available. Then another 100 delegates are awarded based on State-level conventions.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, Bill Kristol thinks Bernie is a stalking horse for Al Gore, so that's wrong, but funny.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It really seems like beltway pundits and strategists are watching a different race then we are.

E: Like O'Malley's campaign strategist who thinks Sanders is a Herman Cain style "anything but" protest candidate.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 28, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Miltank posted:

It really seems like beltway pundits and strategists are watching a different race then we are.

They always have. Remember the undiluted hate towards Nate Silver from all corners of the beltway elite? The right hated him because he was a disgusting limp wristed human being who favored Obama, and the left hated him because he wasn't following the established playbook and made bold predictions.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...n-forecast.html

quote:

But he landed in the middle of a row after the New York Times public editor Margaret Sullivan condemned him for tweeting a bet to MSNBC host Joe Scarborough as unbecoming of a Times journalist.

Scarborough, who indicated he preferred Obama's chances set at 50-50, had said: “Anybody that thinks that this race is anything but a toss-up right now is such an ideologue, they should be kept away from typewriters, computers, laptops and microphones for the next 10 days, because they’re jokes.”

But Silver tweeted at him Thursday, "If you think it's a toss-up, let's bet. If Obama wins, you donate $1,000 to the American Red Cross. If Romney wins, I do. Deal?"

In a blog post Mrs Sullivan criticised the bet.

Despite getting 49/50 right in 2008 years later Silver was still treated like a non-entity by all the beltway experts and political gurus.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

E: Like O'Malley's campaign strategist who thinks Sanders is a Herman Cain style "anything but" protest candidate.

How much money has Sanders gotten? That's your answer as to whether he's a viable candidate.

And before you go 'b-b-but Obama!!!!', Obama had Pritzkers before he had netroots.

pentyne posted:

They always have. Remember the undiluted hate towards Nate Silver from all corners of the beltway elite? The right hated him because he was a disgusting limp wristed human being who favored Obama, and the left hated him because he wasn't following the established playbook and made bold predictions.

Despite getting 49/50 right in 2008 years later Silver was still treated like a non-entity by all the beltway experts and political gurus.

Journalists shouldn't publicly bet on the outcome of races which they cover.

They should make those bets in private.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

pentyne posted:

Well, no poo poo. He made a lot of them obsolete.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Well, no poo poo. He made a lot of them obsolete.

I always used to buy the paper for the burrito rankings, but now Nate Silver gives that to me for free! Get hosed, traditional media.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Chantilly Say posted:

A second Benghazi has hit the thread

What difference does it make?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lindsey Graham just alienated a lot of the GOP base:

quote:

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina told Chuck Todd on NBC's "Meet the Press" that if the Republican party doesn't change its official position on same-sex marriage it will "hurt" the GOP in 2016. In 2012, the Republican platform read, "We reaffirm our support for a Constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman."

Echoing former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida, Graham argued that Republicans should abandon that official 2012 position. Graham continued, "What I want to do is protect the religious liberties of those who believe that opposing same sex marriage as part of their faith. So no I would not engage in the Constitutional amendment process as a party going into 2016. Accept the Court's ruling. Fight for the religious liberties of every American."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Miltank posted:

The difference between Herman Cain and Ron Paul is pretty large, but not enough that it should alter O'Malley's strategy or his strategist's advice.

• Locked thread