Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

voodoorootbeer posted:

Who puts their franchise's sign above the porch where the employees smoke things and occasionally pee though?
So the trucks making deliveries know which door it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

from an excursion to Kalama and Longview, WA with MrBlandAverage & Mido

making of by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Pointed 90 degrees to the right from that photo -

Down To Earth by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

making of by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pretty sure this is actually the making of for this photo:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Pretty sure this is actually the making of for this photo:

how silly of me!!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Same spot -

Kalama by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I thought this was pretty cool, dude makes a pinhole camera out of a soda can and takes a 13 week exposure.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2015/today15-06-24.html

The white lines are the path of the sun. :v:

(image leeching is okay for this site)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Holy poo poo I do love a good lightning storm.

20150625-DSC_7669 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150625-DSC_7648 by revbleech, on Flickr

20150625-DSC_7634 by revbleech, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

xzzy posted:

I thought this was pretty cool, dude makes a pinhole camera out of a soda can and takes a 13 week exposure.

http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive/archive_2015/today15-06-24.html

The white lines are the path of the sun. :v:

(image leeching is okay for this site)

The technique is called solargraphy it's super cool and what got me into photography

Bridge by Brett Schlough, on Flickr

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I pointed my camera at the sky last night. It was fun.

Airplane at Night 2 by Jim Swinson, on Flickr

Airplane at Night 1 by Jim Swinson, on Flickr

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!
I just returned from a trip to my hometown on the Navajo Reservation. There is almost no light pollution. I remember seeing comets with the naked eye when I was a kid.

Navajo land, where the skies are clear by Alex C., on Flickr

Gorilla Rock and Andromeda galaxy by Alex C., on Flickr

Moonset on the Navajo Reservation by Alex C., on Flickr

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

oldmandon posted:

I just returned from a trip to my hometown on the Navajo Reservation. There is almost no light pollution. I remember seeing comets with the naked eye when I was a kid.....

Aaah, home. I wish I had gotten shots that good when I went back. I was just too lazy to go out to the ridge myself.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

P6660143.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

P6660153.jpg by Douglas Tiedt, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

This was a really, really dark night. Really hard to focus on anything, but they turned out ok. :)

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
A couple of astrophotography images from a trip to the to La Palma in the Spanish Canary Islands.

Antares, including various reflection nebula and globular clusters.

Antares Region by Tim Powell, on Flickr

The Lagoon and Triffid Nebulas.

Lagoon and Triffid (M8/M20) Nebulas, RGB. by Tim Powell, on Flickr

Both taken with a QSI 583ws CCD caamera and a Takahashi FS-60c refractor telescope.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Not quite night time, but getting close:

Lightning - July 21 2015 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

Lightning - July 21 2015 by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Meteor shower tonight with a new moon, and of course the sky is full of clouds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wouldn't effect me because there's so much light pollution in my region, any exposure over a few seconds looks like daylight.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'd like to capture the meteor shower tonight and I'm new to night photography. I've got a remote for my nikon and know how to use it, but I'm not sure what to set my ISO and f-stop at if I wanted to leave the shutter open for, say, 60 seconds. Is there a formula or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you want star trails or not?

If no, the "rule" is that your maximum exposure length is 500 divided by your focal length. So at 10mm, you can do about 50 seconds. At 100mm you're down to 5 seconds.

If you do want star trails, shoot wide open and just leave the shutter open for a while. Do a couple test shots, if you get into the 1 minute range and start to see haze from light pollution you might have to do a bunch of shorter shots and stack them in post later.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

Do you want star trails or not?

If no, the "rule" is that your maximum exposure length is 500 divided by your focal length. So at 10mm, you can do about 50 seconds. At 100mm you're down to 5 seconds.

If you do want star trails, shoot wide open and just leave the shutter open for a while. Do a couple test shots, if you get into the 1 minute range and start to see haze from light pollution you might have to do a bunch of shorter shots and stack them in post later.

OK, good to know about the 500 rule. But say I do want star trails: I set aperture to f5.6 and ISO to 200 (just made those up); how do I know how long to keep the shutter open to get the right exposure? Just trial and error?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The shutter speed will determine the length of your trails, your aperture will determine how bright the trails/stars are.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

OK then, thanks for the tips guys!

edit: Noise reduction OFF for star trails, yeah?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Negative: The only meteors I captured were faint and short

Positive: I found out you can see the milky way with the naked eye out on Ft Bragg *and* get buzzed repeatedly by treetop-level Apaches

20150812-DSC_8353 by revbleech, on Flickr

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I'm at NAS Sigonella and the perimeter is lit up like a christmas tree at night which makes night photography pretty much useless.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

El Jeffe posted:

OK, good to know about the 500 rule. But say I do want star trails: I set aperture to f5.6 and ISO to 200 (just made those up); how do I know how long to keep the shutter open to get the right exposure? Just trial and error?

Check this out, lots of great applicable info

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Wheeling by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Bottomless Lakes State Park, near Roswell. See any UFOs?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

Bottomless Lakes State Park, near Roswell. See any UFOs?

Don't see anything. :v:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

[img-i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing]

Don't Move by Jonathan Taylor, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

akadajet posted:

At least you realize it! First step!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

one thing you're not doing is getting a single part of the image in focus

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

akadajet posted:

Don't see anything. :v:

You mean you don't see the photos? I had re-uploaded them after posting, but they still show up fine for me. If not, here they are again, plus a third from Texas. (That's Saturn in the upper right of the first picture!)

Anybody ever do long-exposure photos of fireflies? It's something I'd like to try.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

You mean you don't see the photos?

Yeah, they were just broken images. These work though.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
I got a chance to process some of the photos I took while in Death Valley last week. I really like the moonlit roadway shots and I really regret not spending more time out taking shots in the middle of the night that night, that was the only time it was clear with a sliver of the moon out.

IMG_0457 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_0482 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

I've been playing around with how to punch up/down the colors and luminance to try to get different looks for the Milky Way. I want to sit down and mess with that more this weekend and also process some stacked shots to see how the sky turns out with multiple shorter exposures.

IMG_0834 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

zeroprime posted:

I got a chance to process some of the photos I took while in Death Valley last week. I really like the moonlit roadway shots and I really regret not spending more time out taking shots in the middle of the night that night, that was the only time it was clear with a sliver of the moon out.

IMG_0457 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

IMG_0482 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

I've been playing around with how to punch up/down the colors and luminance to try to get different looks for the Milky Way. I want to sit down and mess with that more this weekend and also process some stacked shots to see how the sky turns out with multiple shorter exposures.

IMG_0834 by jon.martensen, on Flickr

Great shots mate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not sure what really counts as a 'long' exposure, but I tried a few shots from my hotel balcony on a recent trip to San Diego.

This is the only one that came out even reasonably decent, since I have no idea what I'm doing and this was my first ever try at night exposures.

5 seconds at f/13, 45mm with the kit 18-55mm on a Nikon D3300.