Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Caterham is terrible.

It's a loving rollerskate on ice and the suicidal\homicidal AI means driving this fucker is an exercise in sadism.

Edit: Seriously, it is impossible to go around that top corner of Ourborn Park without going sideways. I've tried to go around it in first, but since it's on the crest of a hill, when you're coming down the hill, the Caterham just lifts off and 'round you go.

H13 fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hammer Floyd posted:

It's a loving rollerskate on ice and the suicidal\homicidal AI means driving this fucker is an exercise in sadism.

Edit: Seriously, it is impossible to go around that top corner of Ourborn Park without going sideways. I've tried to go around it in first, but since it's on the crest of a hill, when you're coming down the hill, the Caterham just lifts off and 'round you go.

This game never ceases to amuse me because I have no problem whatsoever driving the caterham but some cars such as the 12C I think are an undriveable mess but everyone else seems to like it.

:siren: Next Goon Event :siren:

As always the info is here on the same google doc, new tab

BMW M1 Procar
Thursday July 2nd, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Silverstone International Circuit

10 Laps
Mid Morning (10:00)
Medium Clouds

Race 2 Brno Circuit

6 Laps
Early Afternoon (13:00)
Hazy

Race 3 Imola

7 Laps
Evening (17:00)
Light Clouds

Basticle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 28, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ohhhh M1 Procar is the tits. I'll try to make this one.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Possibly my favorite car in the game. I'm in.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Kinda wish they'd add in some sort of trackday mode to this. The more I think about it, the more it'd be neat to have something that is essentially one big practice session where you can just hop on with your buddies, do some laps and bullshit with one another while tweaking your setups, and just overall have fun. It'd be kinda rad.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Kinda wish they'd add in some sort of trackday mode to this. The more I think about it, the more it'd be neat to have something that is essentially one big practice session where you can just hop on with your buddies, do some laps and bullshit with one another while tweaking your setups, and just overall have fun. It'd be kinda rad.

You sort of can already, you can set the practice length to 30, 60 90 minutes (probably longer too). Only thing you csnt do is change cars without backing out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Basticle posted:

You sort of can already, you can set the practice length to 30, 60 90 minutes (probably longer too). Only thing you csnt do is change cars without backing out.

Yeah but at some point you have to race :v:

I was kinda thinking some sort of endless practice mode type of thing would be neat.

e: Like, the way I saw one guy describe it which would work really well, is some sort of server that's always online that you can hop on and mess around in, using the realtime weather setting. Having an always online open Nurburgring server on infinite practice would be super cool.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 28, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use gta v for inspiration, when you select multiplayer you get dumped into some public lobby where you can gently caress around on some kind of test track, form up a game then split off and go race.

Though I guarantee the lobbies would just turn into a crash derby.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Welp, I've been trying, but this game is very difficult to play with a controller (as I suspected). I would almost call it unplayable. :(

I've tried playing with the road cars before hopping behind the wheel of a LMP car or something. The only success I seem to have is driving with the Mitsubishi Lancer. I'll spin the BMW 1 series out and the Ford Focus is just a pain. Oddly enough, I can drive the Formula Gulf very easily. But everything else is simply nigh on impossible to keep on the road! The main problem seems to be that the cars get into a snap spin. The car will gently rotate one way, I'll apply some steering input to fix that, but then the car pendulums back violently, resulting in a 360 spin.

This is with using an Xbone controller. I've tried different settings, from ones in this thread to what I've found online. I know it's just the limitation of trying to control a vehicle with one-inch thumb stick, but still, this is disappointing. Not trying to say I'm a pro driver or anything, but I've autocrossed for a few years and know enough to know to take it easy on cold tires, brake at the right times to avoid sailing off the track, gently applying power when leaving a corner, etc.

---

Speaking of the Formula Gulf: I decided to start a career and chose that series since the car is easy to drive. I set the CPU difficulty at ~50% to get feel for how tough that makes the AI. Turns out that it makes the AI pretty weak. As in, I out-qualified the AI by a good 6 seconds! But then when I chose to skip to the end of the qualifying session, the game sat at the "simming rest of session" screen, the game locked up. It was playing sounds, the screen kept showing that simming session animation, but it never did. I gave the game a good 5 minutes, but no dice. Has this happened to anyone else?

Very annoying! I don't want to have to run the qual session again. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did you mess with the controller config at all?

I don't use a joypad to play this game but a common theme in this thread is that for people who do, the game is unplayable until you adjust sliders. Try checking earlier in the thread for common configs to try.. it can make a big difference apparently.

Basically the default controls are poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's a skill to play racing sims on a gamepad. I have zero issue whereas my roommate who hasn't ever played them cannot keep a straight line to save his live.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's a skill to play racing sims on a gamepad. I have zero issue whereas my roommate who hasn't ever played them cannot keep a straight line to save his live.
Wisdom. I've played on a buddy's wheel and it was a lot easier than my first time with a gamepad. Your analog inputs have to be so much more controlled. It's kind of like playing tennis with a baseball bat.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Dolemite posted:

Welp, I've been trying, but this game is very difficult to play with a controller (as I suspected). I would almost call it unplayable. :(

I've tried playing with the road cars before hopping behind the wheel of a LMP car or something. The only success I seem to have is driving with the Mitsubishi Lancer. I'll spin the BMW 1 series out and the Ford Focus is just a pain. Oddly enough, I can drive the Formula Gulf very easily. But everything else is simply nigh on impossible to keep on the road! The main problem seems to be that the cars get into a snap spin. The car will gently rotate one way, I'll apply some steering input to fix that, but then the car pendulums back violently, resulting in a 360 spin.

This is with using an Xbone controller. I've tried different settings, from ones in this thread to what I've found online. I know it's just the limitation of trying to control a vehicle with one-inch thumb stick, but still, this is disappointing. Not trying to say I'm a pro driver or anything, but I've autocrossed for a few years and know enough to know to take it easy on cold tires, brake at the right times to avoid sailing off the track, gently applying power when leaving a corner, etc.

---

Speaking of the Formula Gulf: I decided to start a career and chose that series since the car is easy to drive. I set the CPU difficulty at ~50% to get feel for how tough that makes the AI. Turns out that it makes the AI pretty weak. As in, I out-qualified the AI by a good 6 seconds! But then when I chose to skip to the end of the qualifying session, the game sat at the "simming rest of session" screen, the game locked up. It was playing sounds, the screen kept showing that simming session animation, but it never did. I gave the game a good 5 minutes, but no dice. Has this happened to anyone else?

Very annoying! I don't want to have to run the qual session again. :(
There were some controller settings suggestions earlier this very page last page. And, yes, the default ones are real bad.

My controller settings are something like (they differ a bit from those posted a little before your post so maybe worth trying in addition to others' to see which you like more):

Steering deadzone: 0
Steering sensitivity: 10
Throttle deadzone: 0
Throttle sensitivity: 10
Brake deadzone: 0
Brake sensitivity: 10
Clutch deadzone: 0
Clutch sensitivity: 0

Speed sensitivity: 55
Controller filtering sensitivity: 25 (higher and I feel like I have noticeable input lag... even at 25 Karts/Superkarts have some noticeable input lag to me)

Controller input mode: 3
Soft steering dampening: on
Visual wheel filtering: on
Opposite lock help: off (tried this off and on... noticed literally no difference even though it sounds like it was supposed to help with the fact that joystick works poorly for correcting spins compared to a wheel)

---

50 AI is real bad. However, it's worth noting, that AI is generally bad at qualifying and I think that was on the list of fixes for the impending patch (something about them taking full fuel loads or something).

Skip to End of Session should work. Sim to End of Session is bad though: it sims in real time so you'll still have to wait out the remaining time. Personally, due to a bug that occasionally gives AI superhuman times (literally 30+ seconds better than the track records in real life), I always skip to the end of qualifying by turning the time progression from "Real Time" over one to 60x time. Only takes a few seconds to sim through since every career-related qualifying session is 10 minutes (that I've seen) and seems to avoid AI getting absurd times or any bugging out (haven't had that happen though, personally).

SealHammer posted:

Wisdom. I've played on a buddy's wheel and it was a lot easier than my first time with a gamepad. Your analog inputs have to be so much more controlled. It's kind of like playing tennis with a baseball bat.
An amusing analogy. Hope it'll be in the cards at some point for me to get a wheel so I can see the other side (sounds a lot easier with a wheel... which, I guess, shouldn't be surprising... it works quite nicely for real cars).

Basticle posted:

This game never ceases to amuse me because I have no problem whatsoever driving the caterham but some cars such as the 12C I think are an undriveable mess but everyone else seems to like it.

BMW M1 Procar
Thursday July 2nd, 9PM Eastern (GMT-5)

Agreed. The Caterham is one of the most easy driving cars in the game in my experience. The only way I can fathom people having issues with it is they're trying to push it too hard despite it plainly being a fairly flimsy, old school road car; if you're trying to push it to the limit, yeah, you'll easily pass its limit with those narrow tires and body swaying all over the place.

Haven't driven the 12C at all yet, but, yeah, super-high-power RWD cars can be (usually are) a bitch (especially with a controller).

BMW M1 Procar is a sexy beast. Might have to make more of an effort to be there.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

xzzy posted:

Did you mess with the controller config at all?
Basically the default controls are poo poo.
Yeah, I literally tried every config I found on the previous pages in this thread. I also found some other suggested settings on various threads in the Steam forum for the game and even recommended configs on the sub-reddit for this game.

I've spent a good while tweaking the controls because I really, really want to be able to play this game. It clearly has the potential to be a fun game. Doubly so with a wheel.

bUm posted:

My controller settings are something like (they differ a bit from those posted a little before your post so maybe worth trying in addition to others' to see which you like more):
[...]
I'll give your settings a go - hopefully they'll let me drive cars other than the Formula Gulf.

quote:

50 AI is real bad. However, it's worth noting, that AI is generally bad at qualifying and I think that was on the list of fixes for the impending patch (something about them taking full fuel loads or something).

Skip to End of Session should work. Sim to End of Session is bad though: it sims in real time so you'll still have to wait out the remaining time. Personally, due to a bug that occasionally gives AI superhuman times (literally 30+ seconds better than the track records in real life), I always skip to the end of qualifying by turning the time progression from "Real Time" over one to 60x time. Only takes a few seconds to sim through since every career-related qualifying session is 10 minutes (that I've seen) and seems to avoid AI getting absurd times or any bugging out (haven't had that happen though, personally).
Yeah, I'll be bumping the AI back up to the game's recommended 80% and go from there. Beating up the AI by ~6 seconds isn't exactly a whole lot of fun. Oh, and I did do the "Skip to End of Session", instead of choosing the sim to end option. It was after choosing Skip to End that the game basically never moved on from the screen with the animating clock. I could hear the ambient track sounds and the animations were still going. The game just never left that screen.

SealHammer posted:

I'll admit that I'm poo poo at playing racing games with a controller. The only ones I can really play well are the Forza and Gran Turismo series, due to the wizardry both games seem to possess when being played with a controller.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Dolemite posted:

Yeah, I literally tried every config I found on the previous pages in this thread. I also found some other suggested settings on various threads in the Steam forum for the game and even recommended configs on the sub-reddit for this game.

[...]

The only ones I can really play well are the Forza and Gran Turismo series, due to the wizardry both games seem to possess when being played with a controller.
Do you have the basic assists turned off? I can do some cars with SC/TC/ABS off just fine, but ultimately said gently caress it for the sake of fun because some cars are just too touchy gas-wise to manage with a controller.

That's because both Forza and GT are designed knowing controllers are the main control device for the vast majority of their players which means it kicks in a little non-optional assistance to make them simulation racing titles that don't forget to stress being easily playable and fun. Most (basically all?) PC simulation titles don't do this* (and the concept of easily playability and fun seems lost on many in PC "simulation" game communities... "filthy casuals" - some shitlord defending unquestionably unfun things in a videogame [see: something people do for leisure] because it's a ~sim~), including PCars despite it releasing on consoles as well. If I was playing on console I think I'd stick to Forza/GT personally, but I've stuck to PC only for gaming after the last gen consoles and would probably just get a wheel to play PC sims instead of dropping the money on a console solely for a good simulation racing game (feel like PC has competitive or better options in most genres, but PCars is probably the first thing to come close to Forza/GT for the PC with much broader racing-type coverage including a strong career mode... it's still severely lacking the polish of its' console competitors though).

I'm pretty confident that PCars' controller experience will never be as good as Forza/GT even though the majority of their players are probably using controllers (definitely on consoles, probably overall, maybe even still a majority just looking at PC players). That said, a controller in PCars can be functional enough to be pretty playable even if not ever feeling "just right" so hopefully you can square it away and get some enjoyment out of PCars that is certainly possible with a controller.

* Dirt Rally is the only PC simulation racing game I've ever played that felt great on a controller immediately. This is probably a notable part of why I played it almost as much as I've played PCars thus far despite it being early access and having a relatively tiny amount of content next to the mountain of content that PCars has (it also doesn't hurt that Dirt Rally is also much more polished in terms of bugs... despite being early access :wtc:).

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

bUm posted:

Do you have the basic assists turned off? I can do some cars with SC/TC/ABS off just fine, but ultimately said gently caress it for the sake of fun because some cars are just too touchy gas-wise to manage with a controller.

That's because both Forza and GT are designed knowing controllers are the main control device for the vast majority of their players which means it kicks in a little non-optional assistance to make them simulation racing titles that don't forget to stress being easily playable and fun. Most (basically all?) PC simulation titles don't do this* (and the concept of easily playability and fun seems lost on many in PC "simulation" game communities... "filthy casuals" - some shitlord defending unquestionably unfun things in a videogame [see: something people do for leisure] because it's a ~sim~), including PCars despite it releasing on consoles as well. If I was playing on console I think I'd stick to Forza/GT personally, but I've stuck to PC only for gaming after the last gen consoles and would probably just get a wheel to play PC sims instead of dropping the money on a console solely for a good simulation racing game (feel like PC has competitive or better options in most genres, but PCars is probably the first thing to come close to Forza/GT for the PC with much broader racing-type coverage including a strong career mode... it's still severely lacking the polish of its' console competitors though).

I'm pretty confident that PCars' controller experience will never be as good as Forza/GT even though the majority of their players are probably using controllers (definitely on consoles, probably overall, maybe even still a majority just looking at PC players). That said, a controller in PCars can be functional enough to be pretty playable even if not ever feeling "just right" so hopefully you can square it away and get some enjoyment out of PCars that is certainly possible with a controller.

* Dirt Rally is the only PC simulation racing game I've ever played that felt great on a controller immediately. This is probably a notable part of why I played it almost as much as I've played PCars thus far despite it being early access and having a relatively tiny amount of content next to the mountain of content that PCars has (it also doesn't hurt that Dirt Rally is also much more polished in terms of bugs... despite being early access :wtc:).

I haven't turned on any of the assists except for ABS. My personal pride refused to let me turn on the rest of the aids. I think you're right though, I might have to go back and turn some more of the aids on. At the end of the day, the controller is just a stop gap until I can order a G27 wheel (I bought PCars despite not having a wheel because I wanted to take advantage of the Steam summer sale).

It's too bad that PCars couldn't (wouldn't?) copy the 'invisible hand' code for controllers that guides your car when playing with a controller in Forza/GT. I haven't read too many reviews from console players, but if the game plays as poorly with a controller on the Xbone, I can't imagine there's that many happy reviewers right now..

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I see nothing but positives from PCARS giving the player an extra layer of depth on the gamepad controls. Forza operates much like an F-16 does where your input is merely a suggestion to which the game chooses to take into account. That's not very fun.

Seriously, you don't need any aids other than TCS in the rain or ABS if you prefer it. It just takes time to develop the coordination to make minor stick adjustments. That's really it.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

JaysonAych posted:

For those of you who went from gamepad to wheel on this game, does it make it demonstrably better?

Huge difference, especially with the formula cars and others with lots of power

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

What mics are you guys using? I have a non-Usb headset and mic that's a pain in the rear end to get working. It'd be nice to have a USB headset that's good for music, too.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I see nothing but positives from PCARS giving the player an extra layer of depth on the gamepad controls. Forza operates much like an F-16 does where your input is merely a suggestion to which the game chooses to take into account. That's not very fun.

I can't disagree with this post more, as I just want to play a game and have it drive correctly, and forza makes the controller feel good. Yet I don't go as far as to call it an 'invisible hand', I get about the same exact track times in both games. how do you explain that? This game honestly doesn't feel like it's totally committed to being a sim in that way, it feels like they just half assed controller input. it does not feel at all to me like 'this is the way a car would drive if you did it in real life with a controller'.

If 100 hours in and i had found a controller scheme that felt good compared to AC or forza, or Dirt Rally, I would maybe agree that the extra depth was a positive

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 29, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
You dont drive a car with joysticks and triggers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's entirely subjective. I go back to Forza 5, and that feels so artifical to me. But yes, debating the finer points of simulation using fake steering wheels and gamepads is inherently silly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OhsH posted:

You dont drive a car with joysticks and triggers.

But it would be fun to try, it feels like my throttle and brake control has a lot more nuance when I'm using my fingers.

Steering would be an issue though, I hate thumbstick steering.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How are the dirt cheap wheel controllers? I'm looking at some of thrustmasters Ferrari ones at the lowest end of the FF scale and I'm guessing their pretty gack for high speed competitive play, but they have to be more fun to drive with than the sticks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
With a wheel, Forza 4 and 5 are exactly as challenging and simulation-oriented with regard to driving feel as any other more wheel-focused PC car games including PCARS.

Most people don't have a wheel though, so Turn 10 sets up the default controller setups to, y'know, work, and be usable for the vast majority of their users.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's entirely subjective. I go back to Forza 5, and that feels so artifical to me. But yes, debating the finer points of simulation using fake steering wheels and gamepads is inherently silly.

So are you playing pcars with ffb turned off? handling aside this is what is really 'grinding my gears'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ShineDog posted:

How are the dirt cheap wheel controllers? I'm looking at some of thrustmasters Ferrari ones at the lowest end of the FF scale and I'm guessing their pretty gack for high speed competitive play, but they have to be more fun to drive with than the sticks.

Not great, but better than a joypad. It's been years since I used a wheel that didn't have FFB but I do recall in those dark ages the cheapest xbox compatible madcatz wheel was a massive upgrade over the controller.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Video games cant give you realism, but it can give you a good time for a fraction of the cost of a real track day vehicle.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

So are you playing pcars with ffb turned off? handling aside this is what is really 'grinding my gears'

I play primarily with a dual shock 4. Haven't tried it with a g27 as I tend not to have room on my desk for it regularly.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

my silence can be bought with a gift racing wheel hth

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I dont have spare wheels any more

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OhsH posted:

Video games cant give you realism, but it can give you a good time for a fraction of the cost of a real track day vehicle.

Also you can avoid the full body casts when you inevitably bin it.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

xzzy posted:

Also you can avoid the full body casts when you inevitably bin it.

Just dont crash

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It seems like you're speaking english, but the words you're using don't make any sense to me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

if racing with goons has taught me anything it's that in a real race I would try to just not crash and while doing that I will go too slow and get rear ended and crash

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

ethanol posted:

if racing with goons has taught me anything it's that in a real race I would try to just not crash and while doing that I will go too slow and get rear ended and crash

Have the fastest car and drive slowish

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
But Cubey would be there because of Earth's fully dynamic weather and time simulation.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

I love the forza controller controls, and even think there is something to be said for its realism. Pcars became uncontrollable the second it stopped me racing in karts. (i spun the mclaren f1 three times leaving the pits slowly and carefully, treating my throttle like a feather). Even if my motions are being translated somehow that doesnt feel fake to me, because my wheel has feet of travel, not an inch, and my throttle pedal is massive and has lots of range, not a tiny bumper that indicates 100% deflection at 40% travel.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 29, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I don't know what to tell you if PCARS feels uncontrollable to you. Plays perfectly well for me. I can pick up Forza, Driveclub, and AC without skipping a beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Ancetdotes in response to anectdotes is p lol

• Locked thread