Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Showdown between Caterpillars and Grant's Gang being the stand-in for New Warriors leading into Captain America 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching on netflix and during the episode with the where Cal recruits his super team, Bobbi is fighting razorfingers in the locker room an :psyduck: there's a chick in a towel just watching them from the showers.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yay:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/30/agent-carter-season-2-james-darcy-enver-gjokaj

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

West coast continues to be the best coast

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
West Coast 50s Avengers. I hope their offices are in the Bradbury building.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Doesn't Marvel LA literally work out of that building?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

I'm game for some old time Avengers

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All caught up on both AoS and Agent Carter after a lengthy binge session. Some thoughts, if anyone's interested:

Agent Carter is...not great, but the second half got WAY better when they brought in the Red Room and Howling Commandos. The first half seems more in love with itself as a period drama than anything else. A lot of the setup could've been done in less time if they just let the 1940s aesthetic speak for itself instead of lampshading it. The latter half becomes actually relevant to the MCU and a lot more fun, though I do think it's for the best that its seasons are so short.

As for AoS, I understand the complaints with season 1 pre-Winter Soldier, but as with a lot of shows I think having to wait a week (or several) between episodes made it feel like a slog to some people. But if you marathon-watch season 1, it's actually really consistent setup/payoff through the whole season and starts rewarding viewers with answers only a few episodes in. Actually, watching it at a marathon pace makes the 2nd season's pacing feel all that much more breakneck.

Season 2 almost feels like two separate seasons; so much of what they started is wrapped up by the midseason break and then kicks into full Inhumans/NotSHIELD gear in the latter half. Every episode is a game-changer of some kind. The whole arc with Fitz was excellent, and Iain De Caestecker knocks it out of the park. Though I don't like how they pretty much dropped that in less than a year without really explaining other than "he got better". At least a permanent stutter would've been better than status quo. Skye is more interesting later on and I like her characterization. But although Chloe Bennet does a fine enough job, in big emotional scenes she's the least convincing cast member - especially when surrounded by much better actors. Anyway, good finale (though I was hoping for more helicarrier action since they built up Theta Protocol so much), and ending the episode pre-stinger with OMINOUS FISH OIL was great. Also :tviv: at Coulson's hand.

Captain America: Civil War is going to cause all kinds of havoc for the tail end of the 3rd season.

I might have missed something, but what happened to the Gravitonium? It seemed like they were going to make a big deal out of it, since they brought it back in one of the Hydra raid episodes.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

sticklefifer posted:

I might have missed something, but what happened to the Gravitonium? It seemed like they were going to make a big deal out of it, since they brought it back in one of the Hydra raid episodes.

Quinn left with the Gravitonium (it was his payment from Hydra for his help in the whole affair) after it became clear that Garrett had relocated to Crazytown

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

The whole arc with Fitz was excellent, and Iain De Caestecker knocks it out of the park. Though I don't like how they pretty much dropped that in less than a year without really explaining other than "he got better". At least a permanent stutter would've been better than status quo

I think this is like the opposite of season 1, where season 1 really benefits from binge watching, Fitz's improvement works better when you're watching week to week and his recovery is much slower and more natural feeling.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

hangedman1984 posted:

I think this is like the opposite of season 1, where season 1 really benefits from binge watching, Fitz's improvement works better when you're watching week to week and his recovery is much slower and more natural feeling.

Also he still has issues with words, and one of his hands is worse than the other. So there were permanent changes, they're just far less pronounced.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Quinn left with the Gravitonium (it was his payment from Hydra for his help in the whole affair) after it became clear that Garrett had relocated to Crazytown

And Quinn wasn't seen at all this season. If I'm a pissed off, heart broken Ward, the first thing I do is hook up with the guy with the big money and the weapon I can use.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm looking forward to L.A. Agent Carter, my guess is that she'll save the day in a more public way and the government will basically hand her all the tools to start building Shield. At the very least everyone important that she's working with will know that she kicks rear end, so while misogyny will definitely still be present it should be less of a constant in her life. I feel like they dealt with that pretty extensively in season one, so now hopefully she can go on missions and what not without everyone thinking she's just there to take lunch orders.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NowonSA posted:

I'm looking forward to L.A. Agent Carter, my guess is that she'll save the day in a more public way and the government will basically hand her all the tools to start building Shield. At the very least everyone important that she's working with will know that she kicks rear end, so while misogyny will definitely still be present it should be less of a constant in her life. I feel like they dealt with that pretty extensively in season one, so now hopefully she can go on missions and what not without everyone thinking she's just there to take lunch orders.

True, but the fact that she's going to the other side of the country will presumably mean there's going to be a whole bunch of new people to poo poo all over her.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

I'm looking forward to L.A. Agent Carter, my guess is that she'll save the day in a more public way and the government will basically hand her all the tools to start building Shield.

I think the reverse is true: She founds it with Howard, specifically, according to Winter Soldier. I think the government finally gets too lovely, and their rules don't work against the threats they're facing, and that's why she jumps ship. It's the only thing that makes sense. I'd bet money on Howard being the only reason there's government sanctions.

... the one unfortunate thing of them moving Howard this way is how ridiculous it is that in the first Iron Man Tony had no idea what SHIELD was and Coulson tells him it's a somewhat new initiative, when his loving father founded it in the 50s.

Slashrat posted:

after it became clear that Garrett had relocated to Crazytown

Well he did have a job offer as mayor..

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 3, 2015

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I can't help think that she'd work best facing huge misogyny in her personal life mirrored by massive respect in her work life. The present / AoS time line remembers her as a founder and top top asset after all.

Uh in one of the iron man films Fury tells Stark his dad founded SHIELD. And they are a secret agency so of course they lied about their age?

Masonity fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 3, 2015

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

MikeJF posted:

True, but the fact that she's going to the other side of the country will presumably mean there's going to be a whole bunch of new people to poo poo all over her.

Probably the driving force will be that Howard has slept with every woman on the East coast and he needs to head to his California mansion for fresher stock.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Red Queen posted:

Probably the driving force will be that Howard has slept with every woman on the East coast and he needs to head to his California mansion for fresher stock.

Dominic Cooper had better be confirmed for S2 soon! :argh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MikeJF posted:

MikeJF posted:

Exactly. And they work out if there because Stan Lee saw it in Blade Runner and was amazed it was a real place. At least a that's what the legends say.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

hangedman1984 posted:

Yeah, that's fair. Though I wouldn't mind if his recovery had a lower ceiling, like "this is your consistent reminder to hate Ward no matter how great his character is".

I don't know if it's more the writing or the actors, but the interactions in season 1 and the rift in season 2 between Fitz and Simmons seems so real, more than any other character interaction in the show. Like the two of them could easily star in a straight up drama. I wonder how many actors they went through before they found two with that kind of screen chemistry.

The Red Queen posted:

Brilliant foreshadowing: "There's a chance I take Rita Hayworth home tonight but it's unlikely if you catch my drift."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Exactly. And they work out if there because Stan Lee saw it in Blade Runner and was amazed it was a real place. At least a that's what the legends say.

To be fair it's loving gorgeous, can you blame him?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Chokes McGee posted:

Also he still has issues with words, and one of his hands is worse than the other. So there were permanent changes, they're just far less pronounced.

If early Season 2 is any indication then Simmons disappearing is going to drive the poor guy catatonic.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Masonity posted:

I can't help think that she'd work best facing huge misogyny in her personal life mirrored by massive respect in her work life. The present / AoS time line remembers her as a founder and top top asset after all.

Yeah, that's the dynamic I'm expecting. People at work will acknowledge her, but in public there's a constant stream of Landfill from Broken Lizard's Beerfest making GBS threads on her. I don't have an issue with misogyny being present as it matches the time period and adds a conflict for the character to overcome, I just don't want to see it at work anymore since she's proven herself there like five times over and it just wouldn't make sense.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Montreal Comic Con is this weekend, and I went earlier and saw this:

I just had to buy it because it reminded me of the hilarious Hydra branded coffee cups and coats and stuff when Simmons was undercover. And also all the large glasses in the house seem to disappear so I needed one anyway.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Marvel tweeted this poster for AOS at SDCC:

Note that 1) Someone is gonna be in trouble, because they're driving Lola, and 2) Coulson has a hand now.

As a matter of fact, when it comes to 2), this happened on Twitter:

@Areebhyder: @clarkgregg hey boss! Will you b at #SDCC ???

@clarkgregg: Does Coulson have a glow-in-the-dark Kree hand? Oops. #SpoilerAlert

Of course, being Clark Gregg, he could just be loving with us... But then again, maybe not...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Didn't Skye get given the Keys to Lola at the end of last season?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maybe that's just the way he says "no".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Poor May is looking like Woll Smoth up there.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Marvel tweeted this poster for AOS at SDCC:

Note that 1) Someone is gonna be in trouble, because they're driving Lola, and 2) Coulson has a hand now.

Kind of unfortunate they decided to drop Adrianne Palicki as Boobi Morse and replace her with Julia Stiles.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Montreal Comic Con is this weekend, and I went earlier and saw this:

I just had to buy it because it reminded me of the hilarious Hydra branded coffee cups and coats and stuff when Simmons was undercover. And also all the large glasses in the house seem to disappear so I needed one anyway.

There needs to be a one-off episode about Hydra redshirts, making all their branded materials in-house while something big is going on that they have no part in. Kind of like that epilogue short from Lost with the two guys at the Dharma shipping factory.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Is that supposed to be Lincoln below Mack?

Also, didn't Coulson have his right hand chopped off? Coulda sworn it was his right hand.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Dravs posted:

Also, didn't Coulson have his right hand chopped off? Coulda sworn it was his right hand.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Dravs posted:

You are terrible at comic books - Robot hand, duh.

E: Whoops, misread what you said.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 7, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dravs posted:

Yes. That's Lincoln, who was promoted to series regular.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Yes. That's Lincoln, who was promoted to series regular.

Hopefully they promote him with a personality too

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hope and vaseline posted:

Hopefully they promote him with a personality too

What, pretty fan service for the lady fan is not enough?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

There needs to be a one-off episode about Hydra redshirts, making all their branded materials in-house while something big is going on that they have no part in. Kind of like that epilogue short from Lost with the two guys at the Dharma shipping factory.

I really want this

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

What, pretty fan service for the lady fan is not enough?

I guess if you're into generically lean and muscular twinks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hope and vaseline posted:

I guess if you're into generically lean and muscular twinks...

That's the type these days, isn't it?

• Locked thread