Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

CJacobs posted:

But Roche is just so ruggedly handsome

But there could be anything under that turban, he could have a really bad combover or be balding or something! Who knows? I bet even Ves doesn't.

But, Roche is a cool guy. If you ditch him in 2 and go with Iorveth he will give you poo poo about it, but he saves you without hesitation from the Nilfgaardians and helps you reach Henselt when you need to. He is a Bro (with suspicious choices in headgear).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm not quite as enthusiastic about this game as many here seem to be. I think that, when the game is good, it tends to be really good and engaging (similar to the other Witcher games in that regard). But I find the open world thing to be mostly boring and pointless, aside from the game obviously being quite pretty at times. The leveling system, leveled loot, the way the monsters are leveled and the ? hotspots on the game... I dunno, none of that stuff grabs me at all. The feeling of increasing in power isn't there for me at all so the leveling feels mostly meaningless. Whether it's fighting level 4 drowners or level 16 drowners.
The Novigrad questlines were extremely disappointing for such a well realized video game city (visually and atmospherically I mean). To the point where I was actually happy that they were finally over with.

I decided to leave for Skellige even though I have a ton of extra poo poo left to in Velen. Boxing, races, gwent, monster contracts. None of that stuff interests me at all. The monster contracts have potential but they feel pretty drat formulaic after doing a few with the whole investigation phase and initial setup ("oh master witcher, a monster be terrorizin' us poor village-folk").
Hoping that the story will pick up a bit in Skellige to reignite my interest in the game.

For me personally, this game would've worked a lot better if it had been a bit more "focused". The open-world stuff in it just doesn't entice me at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I bet that hat is Roche's hair

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I bet that hat is Roche's hair
The Hat is the real Roche, the dude underneath it is just it's latest host.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Leinadi posted:

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about this game as many here seem to be. I think that, when the game is good, it tends to be really good and engaging (similar to the other Witcher games in that regard). But I find the open world thing to be mostly boring and pointless, aside from the game obviously being quite pretty at times. The leveling system, leveled loot, the way the monsters are leveled and the ? hotspots on the game... I dunno, none of that stuff grabs me at all. The feeling of increasing in power isn't there for me at all so the leveling feels mostly meaningless. Whether it's fighting level 4 drowners or level 16 drowners.
The Novigrad questlines were extremely disappointing for such a well realized video game city (visually and atmospherically I mean). To the point where I was actually happy that they were finally over with.

I decided to leave for Skellige even though I have a ton of extra poo poo left to in Velen. Boxing, races, gwent, monster contracts. None of that stuff interests me at all. The monster contracts have potential but they feel pretty drat formulaic after doing a few with the whole investigation phase and initial setup ("oh master witcher, a monster be terrorizin' us poor village-folk").
Hoping that the story will pick up a bit in Skellige to reignite my interest in the game.

For me personally, this game would've worked a lot better if it had been a bit more "focused". The open-world stuff in it just doesn't entice me at all.

When is the open world stuff ever not repetitive filler? Every single game is going open world these days yet no one has solved this basic problem.

Still, I think The Witcher 3 is great but it's despite the open world, certainly not because of it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I bet there are going to be some good RPG side quests in the future when computer generated voices get a little better. Like voice acted Morrowind.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Here's an interesting bit of continuity,

I went back and watched the CG intro for The Witcher 1, and guess who's narrating?

old man Dandelion!

A nice touch. :aaa:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Out of curiosity, do the main quest Brothers in Arms:Nilfgaard always end up with Geralt and Emhyr not being able to agree on the terms or do you have to suck up a bit more for the emperor during the earlier talks?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sylphosaurus posted:

Out of curiosity, do the main quest Brothers in Arms:Nilfgaard always end up with Geralt and Emhyr not being able to agree on the terms or do you have to suck up a bit more for the emperor during the earlier talks?

Yeah that's the only outcome.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pik_d posted:

Yeah that's the only outcome.

Well, if they hadn't messed things up, that segment would be very short indeed.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

The Lone Badger posted:

I killed Wham-a-wham because I wanted to make wizard drugs out of his corpse.

You sick monster! I Why didn't you just farm the rabid rock troll in Velen!?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Finally beat it. I got the ending where Ciri runs into the portal and dies. Then geralt fights the last crone to recover her necklace. Pretty sure that this is one of the bad endings, but it was appropriately dark for this game and my play through.

Loved the story and getting to know these characters, first time playing in the series. The story kind of lost me in the third act but eh, good poo poo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

echronorian posted:

Finally beat it. I got the ending where Ciri runs into the portal and dies. Then geralt fights the last crone to recover her necklace. Pretty sure that this is one of the bad endings, but it was appropriately dark for this game and my play through.

Loved the story and getting to know these characters, first time playing in the series. The story kind of lost me in the third act but eh, good poo poo.

Congratulations on being a terrible dad. Though to be fair, I guess some of the good dad choices aren't really obvious.
Did you go to the Emprah with Ciri?
Did you come with her to the discussion with the sorceresses?
Did you trash the lab?
Did you visit Skjall's grave?
Most importantly, did you snowball fight her?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Congratulations on being a terrible dad. Though to be fair, I guess some of the good dad choices aren't really obvious.
Did you go to the Emprah with Ciri?
Did you come with her to the discussion with the sorceresses?
Did you trash the lab?
Did you visit Skjall's grave?
Most importantly, did you snowball fight her?

no, yes, no, no , yes. :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

echronorian posted:

The first question there doesn't determine good/bad ending, it determines what kind of good ending you get. 2 needs to be no, all others need to be yes, but you probably don't need to check every box. You just should because why the gently caress would you be poo poo dad Gerry to Ciri anyway?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

echronorian posted:

Except for Skjall (why would you tell her there's no time? It's an RPG, everything waits for you), these are all reasonable choices.
I always found it weird that the choices kind of "invalidate" each other. Like, if you help Ciri in the discussion with the sorceresses, I guess you kinda tell her that she's still a kid who can't argue for herself, but trashing the lab like a big dumb baby is a good choice, apparently.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Aurain posted:

The first question there doesn't determine good/bad ending, it determines what kind of good ending you get. 2 needs to be no, all others need to be yes, but you probably don't need to check every box. You just should because why the gently caress would you be poo poo dad Gerry to Ciri anyway?

If you do visit the emperor you need to refuse the reward. I believe you need a minimum of 3 "correct" choices to get one of the good endings.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

Except for Skjall (why would you tell her there's no time? It's an RPG, everything waits for you), these are all reasonable choices.
I always found it weird that the choices kind of "invalidate" each other. Like, if you help Ciri in the discussion with the sorceresses, I guess you kinda tell her that she's still a kid who can't argue for herself, but trashing the lab like a big dumb baby is a good choice, apparently.

I paused the game during that question, forgot it was paused on a timed question, came back to it about an hour later and didn't have time to think about it. It was my bad. I'm a bad daddy. That was a really lovely dark ending though, the best bad ending in an RPG since the original Fallout.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Leinadi posted:

That's mostly true, the fact that you can go anywhere you want on the map typically means I'll be ignoring the vast majority of the game because it's not on the way to where I'm going. Still, I thought this game handled it a lot better than pretty much any other open world game I've played, cause it doesn't show everything on the map, it doesn't tell you what it does show it just puts down a question mark until you get there, and having all the little villages, open fields and ruined castle towers far off in the distance makes this feel more like a place than just a playground. That and fast travel is handled pretty much the best way possible, taking it off the pause screen so you actually have to see a little of the world and explore it. I liked it.

This also means there's plenty of mysteries to encounter when you're out and about. I still have no idea what was up with that ghost ship I saw one night, just kinda rising out of the ocean then disappearing when I got too close, was creepy as hell and so far I haven't found the quest that ties into it, if there even is one. Since I'm done with the game for now I probably won't find out what that's about for ages.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot about the random events that can happen when you're just walking around, like that one dude shouting for a duel on the side of the road or when I saw a guy run up to a door and start banging on it, two guards came round the corner chasing him, I fought them off and he threw a key at me and ran off and now I've found myself knee-deep in some kinda street crime mystery/conspiracy outta nowhere, that was pretty cool.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 28, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Senjuro posted:

If you do visit the emperor you need to refuse the reward. I believe you need a minimum of 3 "correct" choices to get one of the good endings.

Actually, yeah, I forgot about that. Good point.

The worst ending is really good though and hits all the points it should really well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That's mostly true, the fact that you can go anywhere you want on the map typically means I'll be ignoring the vast majority of the game because it's not on the way to where I'm going. Still, I thought this game handled it a lot better than pretty much any other open world game I've played, cause it doesn't show everything on the map, it doesn't tell you what it does show it just puts down a question mark until you get there, and having all the little villages, open fields and ruined castle towers far off in the distance makes this feel more like a place than just a playground. That and fast travel is handled pretty much the best way possible, taking it off the pause screen so you actually have to see a little of the world and explore it. I liked it.

I gave up on the ? in Skellige because they were all Caches and war spoils. When Witcher gear is the best gear and there's none of that in there why would I even bother?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Who else thinks that the alternative outfits suck? I can live with the one for Yennefer, but the one for Triss is horrible.

But I can't get mad at getting free DLCs, especially if they also bring more troll goodness. (Go and play through Skellige Most Wanted)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Aurain posted:

uh my answers would be no yes no yes yes and i got witcher ciri, which is the objectively best ending. hmm does ciri want to listen to ambassadors from temeria all day like her terrible father or would she rather engage in interdimensional magic noir detectivery like her baller dad

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It might be subtle but I think Geralt hates portals :haw: Witcheress gets to be free from pressure and machinations (mostly), of course she enjoys that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Portals to geralt are like snakes to Indy. Hates them, but can't get away from situations that involve them.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

oddium posted:

uh my answers would be no yes no yes yes and i got witcher ciri, which is the objectively best ending. hmm does ciri want to listen to ambassadors from temeria all day like her terrible father or would she rather engage in interdimensional magic noir detectivery like her baller dad
In the ending where she accepts the throne, she acknowledges that she can do more good in the world with the power of an empress than as a vagrant monster-hunter.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I see no particular indication that she would make a good empress.

Seems like her tendency to get angry and dig in stubbornly makes for a good way to manipulate her. Seems like her drive to do maximum good could be easily manipulated into a warlike tendency to conquer other kingdoms when you see some poo poo you don't like to 'liberate' them.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 28, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Xarn posted:

Who else thinks that the alternative outfits suck? I can live with the one for Yennefer, but the one for Triss is horrible.

They're both "sexy" and I think it's too much.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Yeah, I thought both alternative outfits looked ridiculous and ditched them as soon as I got a look at them ingame.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

next DLC will be a rock troll RPG

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Started playing today. Was surprised my PC could handle ultra settings. I turned off hairworks because I don't have an Nvidia card I can't really notice a difference. I'm only an hour in and I'm exploring all over so I have no idea where this Ciri girl came from. Maybe Alvin will return and they'll see a movie together? Going to play some more now seeya.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

etalian posted:

next DLC will be a rock troll RPG

Rock troll detective story in Novigrad where your police contact is a troll called Sergeant Detritus

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How in hell do you get to that ? north of Kaer Trolde castle?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ravenfood posted:

How in hell do you get to that ? north of Kaer Trolde castle?

By going with Cerys during King's Gambit.
The door remains forever locked if you go with Hjalmar and you can never reach it.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Taear posted:

He doesn't say a lot in Kaer Mohren though. He's the only choice in the game that feels incidental, like they didn't care much.
It's a really strange bit.

I think at the end of the day any dev will make an pretty conservative call on how much resources to commit to content that half your player base wont ever see. Lets face it >50% of W2 players who did reach the end probably killed Letho just because hes the end game "boss"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the next dlc is just a performance by dandelion called "Watching Ciri Grow"

♪ b-l-r-f-q spells "novigrad" /
well that ain't too bad /
that's my girl ♪

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Please tell me that there's a quest where Geralt gets these rock trolls some ploughing boots. :allears:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
One thing I love about the rock trolls is that I can just hear the gears grinding in between their pauses. They're trying so hard.

I can't effectively argue with the logic of (troll sidequest) boats guard boats.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

isk posted:

I can't effectively argue with the logic of (troll sidequest) boats guard boats.
This is one of my favorite lines from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a random note the Witcher 3 was fairly lean in terms of overall cost:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/06/26/the-witcher-3-kept-its-budget-low-because-it-was-self-published/

35 million dollars for production and same amount for advertising