Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Knifegrab posted:

~70" and for OLED that is insanely expensive now.

Yeah, I looked very briefly into large OLED and holy poo poo :homebrew::retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

W850b is better than e series vizio in every non financial way in my experience. It's worth the modest price increase to me.

Re: OLED. The 55" was at 10k when it came out 2 years ago. 3 months ago it was 3500. Now down to 2000. The yields are improving on the 65" and I hope to see a similar price trajectory.

It's not for people who want Vizios or to spend as little as possible but the previous pricing is encouraging. The 65" 4k has already dropped from 8500 to 7750 and that's with retailers just now being able to get inventory.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 23, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Where can I look up what a particular tv's ACTUAL refresh rate is, whether or not I can turn off whatever stupid automotion interpolation bullshit it has, and what its screen latency is? I am looking at the E65-C3 by Vizio and it lists it as 240Hz "Effective" refresh rate, which to me probably means its doing some stupid interpolation nonsense which makes things look like garbage to me.

Latency is also important to me and I cannot find that information anywhere either.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have experience with the new Samsung 75" 4k? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-75-class-74-5-diag--2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/5182036.p?id=1219646565337&skuId=5182036

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

I purchased the 65" version of that and returned it in favor of the sony 850b. See my comments and pics, several posts back.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

sellouts posted:

W850b is better than e series vizio in every non financial way in my experience. It's worth the modest price increase to me.

Re: OLED. The 55" was at 10k when it came out 2 years ago. 3 months ago it was 3500. Now down to 2000. The yields are improving on the 65" and I hope to see a similar price trajectory.

It's not for people who want Vizios or to spend as little as possible but the previous pricing is encouraging. The 65" 4k has already dropped from 8500 to 7750 and that's with retailers just now being able to get inventory.

Got the 850B a few days ago based on your recommendation. It's amazing. Thanks!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

Where can I look up what a particular tv's ACTUAL refresh rate is, whether or not I can turn off whatever stupid automotion interpolation bullshit it has, and what its screen latency is? I am looking at the E65-C3 by Vizio and it lists it as 240Hz "Effective" refresh rate, which to me probably means its doing some stupid interpolation nonsense which makes things look like garbage to me.

Latency is also important to me and I cannot find that information anywhere either.

Bestbuy.com advertises the real refresh rate in their tech specs.

Generally, it's half what the manufacturer says.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cornjob posted:

I purchased the 65" version of that and returned it in favor of the sony 850b. See my comments and pics, several posts back.

Cool, I was doing a little more research on it online and it seems for the price I'm better off with something else. Debating on if I want to pick up the 80" Vizio or just get the 70" for half the cost and hold out for another couple years for prices to come down some more. Eventually I'm going to be in the market for a 2nd tv. The one in the bedroom only works about 25% of the time, and the one in the living room that will get moved to the bedroom is starting to make sounds I don't like and sometimes has issues changing from one input to the other often requiring me to hard power it off to reset.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
My 42" LCD from 2011 was destroyed during a cross-country move, so it's time for me to upgrade. I'm looking to spend ~$1000. I'd like to have 4K but if the panel quality isn't there for my budget I could reconsider. I'd like 50"+ but nothing too crazy.

I stumbled on the Samsung 55" UN55JU650DFXZA but can't find too much info on it. Costoc has it on sale for $1079 which is right in my budget. Anyone have experience with this or are there any concerns I'm not seeing?
http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-LED-LCD-TV-UN55JU650DFXZA.product.100171415.html

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

1redflag posted:

Got the 850B a few days ago based on your recommendation. It's amazing. Thanks!

Glad you like it and hope you are finding how it handles motion to be enjoyable. That's my favorite part about Sony sets.

TheOneVader posted:

My 42" LCD from 2011 was destroyed during a cross-country move, so it's time for me to upgrade. I'm looking to spend ~$1000. I'd like to have 4K but if the panel quality isn't there for my budget I could reconsider. I'd like 50"+ but nothing too crazy.

I stumbled on the Samsung 55" UN55JU650DFXZA but can't find too much info on it. Costoc has it on sale for $1079 which is right in my budget. Anyone have experience with this or are there any concerns I'm not seeing?
http://www.costco.com/Samsung-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-LED-LCD-TV-UN55JU650DFXZA.product.100171415.html

I don't see a lot of point in 4k right now and I'm not sold that I'll see that much more of a point in 4 years with the screen size and seating distance most people have. So because of that I'd probably go or heavily consider the Sony W850B at that point, especially if you game. It's also 5" bigger and who doesn't wish they had an extra 5"?

Jokes aside, the 6500 does not handle 24p content. So if you watch a lot of movies there will be judder until you upgrade to the next step up 7100 (which is more). I'd maybe poke around to see if you can find last years H7150 55" right at 1k. It's a better tv. I'm also very sensitive to motion blur and there's definitely some here from what I saw (limited to one time in a store) and what I've read. Just my take but until you get to the JS or HU8550 I really think there's some excellent price:performance value with Sony that makes them worth considering. Just depends on if you can really handle knowing that you didn't buy a 4k set and your new TV can't handle the highest resolution "available". I know I can.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 25, 2015

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

sellouts posted:

I don't see a lot of point in 4k right now and I'm not sold that I'll see that much more of a point in 4 years with the screen size and seating distance most people have. So because of that I'd probably go or heavily consider the Sony W850B at that point, especially if you game. It's also 5" bigger and who doesn't wish they had an extra 5"?

Jokes aside, the 6500 does not handle 24p content. So if you watch a lot of movies there will be judder until you upgrade to the next step up 7100 (which is more). I'd maybe poke around to see if you can find last years H7150 55" right at 1k. It's a better tv. I'm also very sensitive to motion blur and there's definitely some here from what I saw (limited to one time in a store) and what I've read. Just my take but until you get to the JS or HU8550 I really think there's some excellent price:performance value with Sony that makes them worth considering. Just depends on if you can really handle knowing that you didn't buy a 4k set and your new TV can't handle the highest resolution "available". I know I can.

Thanks for pointing out that it won't handle 24 fps content natively, that is a buzz kill. Also no, I do not game. It will be solely for TV and movies. After measuring, I think I'm actually willing to downgrade in size a bit if it'll buy me a better picture. I'm still kind of partial to getting a 4K set though, but are there any worth buying in the 50" range for my pricepoint? Hell I'd be willing to spend a little more (~1200) for a 50" 4K with great picture quality.

Edit: I realized you basically suggested some models that fit my criteria, I will indeed poke around.

Edit 2: Amazon has a warehouse deal (like new) of the Samsung 55" 4K UN50HU8550 for $1135 that I'm thinking about. Also, when you say Sony W850B, I notice there are 1080p and 4K versions of it. Do they have the same panel quality? Not sure how the model names work.

TheOneVader fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 26, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I think I've decided to go with the 70" Visio, now I just need to decide which.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/compare...0%26keys%3Dkeys

Is the 4k worth bothering with or should I just pick up the 1080 and wait another year or 2 for actual 4k content. The reason I kind of want to go 4k is to use it with my computer.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The M Series won't produce chroma 4:4:4 at 4k 60hz so any text from a computer will look pretty rough. The E Series will but 70' is definitely a 4k size in my opinion. Rtings has a breakdown of video modes if you're interested.

The 850b 70' is also an option if you don't mind dealing with returns if you get a set with radial banding. But honestly, I'd probably go 4k at that size.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have an M series Vizio at home and I played 100+ hours of Skyrim on a PC without issue.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think he's referring to using it as a monitor for office / spreadsheets. He's referring to a real thing.

TheOneVader posted:

Edit 2: Amazon has a warehouse deal (like new) of the Samsung 55" 4K UN50HU8550 for $1135 that I'm thinking about. Also, when you say Sony W850B, I notice there are 1080p and 4K versions of it. Do they have the same panel quality? Not sure how the model names work.

The hu8550 is last years model but a better TV. You can upgrade it to be able to view HDR content via this years OneConnect box according to avsforum.

4k version of the 850b? Huh?

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

sellouts posted:

I think he's referring to using it as a monitor for office / spreadsheets. He's referring to a real thing.

The hu8550 is last years model but a better TV. You can upgrade it to be able to view HDR content via this years OneConnect box according to avsforum.

I assume you suggested the 1080p Sony KDL60W850B: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDL60W850B-60-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B00HPMCN74
But there's also a 4K Sony XBR55X850B: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR65X850B-65-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00J58BEIK

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah w850b, not the one that is 2x the price and way over his price range.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I have a Vizio E420VA that I bought 5 years ago.

Watching TV has pissed me off the whole time because the brightness would fluctuate greatly, especially in live sports.
Turns out there's a stupid garbage feature called "adaptive luma" turned on by default that dynamically adjusts brightness or whatever. Imagine that, on a hockey game :stonk:

I have been living with it for 5 years, and I just now got it in my mind to really dig in the picture options and find it. I was almost ready to replace it.

I am a chump.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I am looking at one of these two TVs for something to hook up to a computer so I can watch/play stuff from my couch.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E600i-B3-60-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00GTE0VJ6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN60J6200-60-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00U9U9AAM/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I've never actually bought a TV before, anyone have opinions on or experience with either of these? It's going to be sitting 11-12 feet from the couch and I'll probably be looking at it from a ~45 degree angle occasionally.

I'm trying to stay under/around ~$1100.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm looking for:

50-60"
Half mute? Or something like that? I am always very annoyed when shows are all quiet, so I crank the volume up, the the ads are full volume and wake my baby. This is probably the biggest single feature I would like to find. I don't really know if it exists, though.
Good for movies primarily
Good for games would be nice
Small borders
$1000, would stretch to $1200 for something really special

Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 28, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Read the recommendations of the past 2 pages. It's all the same poo poo at that range for the most part.

Half mute? Don't use TV speakers and the volume will be far less aggravating and won't need to be as loud imo

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'd also like to know about TVs with a soft mute feature.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do any just have dynamic range compression? That seems like it would work better.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Half Mute was on Toshiba and Hitachi and some old Samsungs. I haven't seen it recently on any panel of quality. I have seen it on a few amps/preamps and possibly a few soundbars.
I still do not understand buying a TV for any sort of audio feature. I would get a soundbar of any quality and I think the audio would be less jarring. Or look at one of the Terk volume controllers. Or a pre amp / receiver that has the feature.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

Half Mute was on Toshiba and Hitachi and some old Samsungs. I haven't seen it recently on any panel of quality. I have seen it on a few amps/preamps and possibly a few soundbars.
I still do not understand buying a TV for any sort of audio feature. I would get a soundbar of any quality and I think the audio would be less jarring. Or look at one of the Terk volume controllers. Or a pre amp / receiver that has the feature.

So what sound bar would pair well with, say, a recent Samsung?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Krakkles posted:

So what sound bar would pair well with, say, a recent Samsung?

I'm interested in sound bar reviews as well. I've decided to hold off on a new tv just yet, but getting a decent sound bar will do wonders for my setup, I think.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-budget-soundbar/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use a Sonos Playbar I got off of CL for very very cheap because it was "broken" and I "fixed" it with a pair of needle-nose pliers. I think the audio thread goons hate it. But I don't care about it's limitations and use the features of the Sonos ecosystem.

I have friends who love the Vizio that The Wirecutter recommends and Samsung was very recently offering a free soundbar with purchase of a few TVs and I'm not sure you can beat free. The Vizio is cheap enough that I'd just buy it from Costco and return it if it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Edit: Oh yeah, the Vizio has "DTS TruVolume technology" which claims to dampen volume spikes for consistent, comfortable volume levels. It'll pair with any TV.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 29, 2015

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, the Vizio has "DTS TruVolume technology" which claims to dampen volume spikes for consistent, comfortable volume levels. It'll pair with any TV.
Works for me. Ordered this, it'll probably keep me happy for a bit without buying the TV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Great, let us know how it goes!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sellouts posted:

Ya, this won't be an issue. If I'm using my pc on the TV it'll be strictly for gaming. I have a triple 1440 setup on my pc so the Tv is strictly for Movies/background tv/games from the couch. Biggest problem I'm running into right now is that all the tv's have gone to using stupid feet on the sides of the Tv instead of a stand, so I'm going to have to buy a bigger entertainment center.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The W850b's feet are movable, see the photos here.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
So it's time for me to get a new TV. The current one I'm using is an ancient early LCD TV from a cheap brand that's both huge and energy-hungry, and it's having annoying issues (tearing when using component on bright screens, HDMI use results in the screen reinitializing at random and sometimes losing sound during this, requiring a reboot of the TV)

Due to space reasons I can go for a 42" size tops.

I've been browsing around quite a bit already, and I'm considering the Sony KDL-42W805B. Looks pretty good for its price range, and basically just barely fits my budget. Now I've noticed Sony also has the KDL-42W705B(and a KDL-42W706B), which is from what I can see so far in reviews and comparisons the exact same TV, except without 3D, and a bit cheaper as a result.

Am I right in this assumption? I have no need for 3D at all, no content that uses it, and no real desire to use it either. 4K is also not something I think I'll need any time in the next few years(lack of content at the moment, and I don't see broadcast TV moving towards it soon) I'm also noticing both get pretty great reviews, so I'm tempted to go out and buy one since it seems to be fairly unbeatable in this price range.

Main goal is TV and movie watching(both IPTV via an STB as from a previous-gen WDTVLive), as well as videogames(The Wii U is the newest console I have, and some older consoles as well that I occasionally hook up)

Might also end up hooking an external amp to it at a later date, once I can save up a bit more.

Any other options I've missed? I'm in Belgium, pricerange I'm looking at is €600 tops.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No way to buy a used TV locally? 42" is a size people upgrade from. I'd look and see if you could find a low hour plasma locally tbh.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva
I'd rather buy a new one than deal with getting a used one and all the potential issues. Along with that, Belgium uses a neat voucher system in which my employer basically gives me 250 euros for purchasing new eco-friendly products(this also covers virtually all new TVs), and I'd like to take advantage of those.

42" or so is also the maximum size I'd be able to place in my living room without bumping into anything.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I've read the past few pages of this thread and it seems like the Sony KDL60W850B 60-Inch is the TV for me. Does it handle 24fps well? Will be used for TV + Movies + PS4.

Also, is this TV mountable? Don't want to put it on a rack or anything. Also it seems like the Vizio S4221W-C4 would be the best soundbar for us.

Sound good?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Smoke posted:

I'd rather buy a new one than deal with getting a used one and all the potential issues. Along with that, Belgium uses a neat voucher system in which my employer basically gives me 250 euros for purchasing new eco-friendly products(this also covers virtually all new TVs), and I'd like to take advantage of those.

42" or so is also the maximum size I'd be able to place in my living room without bumping into anything.

Then sure, if you get a free 250 euros go grab either of those. Some of the spergs say that the banding and other panel quality issues are worse on the 705 vs the 805, but it's hard to know. Most of the reviews are for the 50" version which uses a different panel. It's hard to judge between 705 and 805 because they probably use very different panels.

Have you considered a UE40H6200? Reviews seem to think the motion processing is better and it's likely in your price range.

bows1 posted:

I've read the past few pages of this thread and it seems like the Sony KDL60W850B 60-Inch is the TV for me. Does it handle 24fps well? Will be used for TV + Movies + PS4.

Also, is this TV mountable? Don't want to put it on a rack or anything. Also it seems like the Vizio S4221W-C4 would be the best soundbar for us.

Sound good?

Yes, 60W850B has good reviews for 24p and it has an auto 24p mode so it should be fine from what I've read.

Yes, soundbar sounds good (buy locally and return it if you don't like it if possible) and the mount for the tv looks like it's here

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

sellouts posted:

Then sure, if you get a free 250 euros go grab either of those. Some of the spergs say that the banding and other panel quality issues are worse on the 705 vs the 805, but it's hard to know. Most of the reviews are for the 50" version which uses a different panel. It's hard to judge between 705 and 805 because they probably use very different panels.

Have you considered a UE40H6200? Reviews seem to think the motion processing is better and it's likely in your price range.

Yes, 60W850B has good reviews for 24p and it has an auto 24p mode so it should be fine from what I've read.

Yes, soundbar sounds good (buy locally and return it if you don't like it if possible) and the mount for the tv looks like it's here

Awesome. Thank you!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Smoke posted:

I'd rather buy a new one than deal with getting a used one and all the potential issues.

Lol "all the potential issues". These are TVs, not cars. You plug it in when you go to buy it, take a look from different angles and it basically either works or is obviously damaged.

Our 40" TV was $150 (about 100 euros). I'd rather sell it for parts for like 80 and buy another used TV than deal with a new TV's warranty bullshit for many hours of my life. It's also a Good Thing ethically to buy used whenever possible imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

sellouts posted:

Seen it around as well and the price difference doesn't really warrant downsizing, so I'd rather stick to 42" screens. I'm also reading pretty mixed reviews regarding picture and sound quality on it(and to be honest I prefer the Sony looks)

Main reason I was looking at the Sony is because I'm seeing a lot of reviews mention it has very little lag and great contrast, color range and blacks for its price range, I was just wondering how much of a difference there is between the 705 and 805.

tuyop posted:

Lol "all the potential issues". These are TVs, not cars. You plug it in when you go to buy it, take a look from different angles and it basically either works or is obviously damaged.

Our 40" TV was $150 (about 100 euros). I'd rather sell it for parts for like 80 and buy another used TV than deal with a new TV's warranty bullshit for many hours of my life. It's also a Good Thing ethically to buy used whenever possible imo.

The TV I'm using right now is a secondhand one I got for free. I knew about the HDMI issue, but not how bad it was and its habit of cutting out sound completely, nor did I know about the component issue(previous owner never used the component connectors) Some things can't be tested or discovered reliably without bringing in a decent amount of stuff I want to hook up and testing for an hour or two. It's also a lot easier to walk into a store and look at various options side by side whenever it's convenient for me.

If it makes you feel better most of my furniture was bought secondhand or donated by relatives/friends though, and I'm bringing the current TV to a recycling center when I get a new one.