Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

The Southern Dandy posted:

Sorry the first nerf wasn't good enough somehow.

I watched an AMX 90 sit still on El Halluf for 15 seconds and the enemy arty one shot him. He wept like a child. Clearly arty is OP.

It has nothing to do with arty being over- or underpowered you big baby, it's just an awful and toxic game mechanic that almost everyone except you hates.

If anything I'd say arty is actually "underpowered" since it's much harder to carry in arty than in a regular tank, but that's orthogonal to the actual problems with arty.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

yaay posted:

yes this justifies the existence of a mechanic that allows players the opportunity to do more damage than the largest direct fire guns in the game from the other side of the map with no risk whatsoever.

Maybe you should scout more?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

maybe you should stop posting

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

TheFluff posted:

It has nothing to do with arty being over- or underpowered you big baby, it's just an awful and toxic game mechanic that almost everyone except you hates.

If anything I'd say arty is actually "underpowered" since it's much harder to carry in arty than in a regular tank, but that's orthogonal to the actual problems with arty.

If it's UP then it should be buffed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

If it's UP then it should be buffed.

I wouldn't mind arty being buffed if the fundamental problems (no counter-mechanic and the godawful damage model) were fixed first. If those aren't fixed I don't give a gently caress what they do to it, it's still gonna be a broken mechanic that nobody likes. I don't see any straightforward way of fixing those problems, though, and I doubt WG does either.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

TheFluff posted:

maybe you should stop posting

Maybe you should have some reasoning for your posts.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Maybe you should have some reasoning for your posts.

TheFluff posted:

I dunno, some of the problems with arty don't really seem fixable to me.

One of the biggest problems with arty is that you can't shoot back - people hate this for the same reason they hate invisible TD's, a mechanic WG has attempted to nerf in the past. A mechanic without a counter-mechanic is frustrating and reduces player agency. Sure, you can hide from arty on some maps but for most of the game you just have to sit there and get plinked at. The idea for arty to light up the square they fired from doesn't really solve anything.

The other major problem is the all-or-nothing damage roulette arty has going on. People hate huge alpha tanks too (another thing WG has attempted to sorta half-heartedly nerf in the past) because it's incredibly unforgiving of mistakes. Arty not only has huge alpha, it also does tons of module damage and is even less predictable than the invisible huge alpha TD's (and this is already an incredibly toxic combination), but it's all conditional on the incredibly fickle RNG which makes it both unpredictable to the receiving end and frustrating for the sending one (which makes it even more toxic). Fixing this sorta requires starting by reworking the HE mechanics because just upping the RoF and reducing the damage while leaving other things alone is a one-way ticket to permatrack central.

tl;dr remove arty from the game

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Like this is the most hosed up viewpoint in the game, and so very terribly pubby. There's only arty on the other side, and never on ours.

Always play the victim.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
Make all arty be spotted for 5 seconds after firing. This should apply to the 183 as well.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Like this is the most hosed up viewpoint in the game, and so very terribly pubby. There's only arty on the other side, and never on ours.

Always play the victim.

I have no idea why you think that post has anything to do with what I wrote. Both sides being equally miserable doesn't make the mechanic any better.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

should I have to throw a light tank away in the beginning/middle of the game to make sure the above scenario doesn't happen? Because on most maps you're not going to reasonably spot artillery without massive risk until the the game is more or less decided. counterbattery is the only thing spgs have to worry about for most of the game.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

IMO they should remove all arty except for the lefh, so that one could be called a gold noob pay to win sky cancer all in one sentence. I'm saying this unironically.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

yaay posted:

counterbattery is the only thing spgs have to worry about for most of the game.
Counterbattery never loving happens, though. Like, I see it happen successfully in maybe one game out of fifty, if even that.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

TheFluff posted:

I have no idea why you think that post has anything to do with what I wrote. Both sides being equally miserable doesn't make the mechanic any better.

I have no idea what you copypasted had anything to do with anything either. The mechanic brings TDs, heavies, and even mediums to heel. If you don't believe that, then watch a game. People scream for arty assistance. It's what I do.

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 28, 2015

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Just add a $10 monthly fee to play without arty.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
id pay

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Reminder that the same person made all these posts:

quote:

I have to say I like mediums player's tears after 8.6. Feels justified.

quote:

Nuffin. Arty got nerfed back then, so now it's mediums turn. Actually I would love to see the rise of the heavy, not just for arty reasons, but to have fun in heavies again.

quote:

Can I have my goddamn money back? 3 tier tens and they nerf it again to crybabies?
:laffo:

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Counterbattery never loving happens, though. Like, I see it happen successfully in maybe one game out of fifty, if even that.

I see it now and again near the start of a match. There's good spots for artillery like everything else and I guess some people are good at gauging shells where they see trees dropping or walls getting crushed.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Reminder that the same person made all these posts:

:laffo:

When I still played this game

:iiam:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

I have no idea what you copypasted had anything to with anything either. The mechanic brings TDs, heavies, and even mediums to heel. If you don't believe that, then watch a game. People scream for arty assistance. It's what I do.

I... still don't understand how this is in any way a counter-argument to anything I said. I mean, if I'm getting shot at by arty, my own team's arty shooting their dudes doesn't really make me feel any better. Also, lol if you think relying on pubbies in this game is a thing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Actually even when there's artillery on my team I would rather they not be 'helping' me.
Knowing that some other dude also got one shot by arty does nothing to alleviate randomly exploding for no reason, nor having to sit behind a rock all game to avoid randomly exploding for no reason.

I'd have been fine if they just added dragons that randomly, unavoidably ate arty though!

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 28, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

TheFluff posted:

I... still don't understand how this is in any way a counter-argument to anything I said. I mean, if I'm getting shot at by arty, my own team's arty shooting their dudes doesn't really make me feel any better. Also, lol if you think relying on pubbies in this game is a thing.

The win doesn't rely on you, it finds itself it the team. Yes, that team is often tragic, but you getting one-shot doesn't matter much in the grand scheme. No, one should not rely on a pubby, but neither should one rely on the ineptitude of pubby arty. It's a double-edged sword.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Yes, that team is often tragic, but you getting one-shot doesn't matter much in the grand scheme.
If you have a >60% win rate it does. :smugdog:

Seriously though, we're sorta talking about completely different things here. From a statistical (win rate) viewpoint, arty is fine or maybe even underpowered. That's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm not saying arty makes me lose more than anything else in this game (note: the line above is a joke). I'm talking about how it's just not fun getting oneshot by something you can do absolutely nothing about.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 28, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

TheFluff posted:

If you have a >60% win rate it does. :smugdog:

Seriously though, we're sorta talking about completely different things here. From a statistical (win rate) viewpoint, arty is fine or maybe even underpowered. That's not what I'm talking about, though. I'm not saying arty makes me lose more than anything else in this game (note: the line above is a joke). I'm talking about how it's just not fun getting oneshot by something you can do absolutely nothing about.

I'll begrudge that viewpoint. Bro-knucks, Fluff?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

honestly they should trial no-arty mode like they did with confrontation and if by some chance people come crawling back to the status quo, they can always remove it. (bring back confrontation btw)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The Mauschen is allegedly such a lovely tank that not only are they not going to put it into the game in 9.9, they're going to take it out of the second 9.9 test.

Also possibly going to not nerf pen due to the tests just not working.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

I'll begrudge that viewpoint. Bro-knucks, Fluff?

sure :frogbon:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Is it normal for the T-62A to keep going on fire? I just took it out for a first run and a Leopard PT lit me up twice with snap shots from the front. Which, as far as 'first game in a new tier X' goes, is a pretty loving lovely experience.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Is it normal for the T-62A to keep going on fire? I just took it out for a first run and a Leopard PT lit me up twice with snap shots from the front. Which, as far as 'first game in a new tier X' goes, is a pretty loving lovely experience.

Welcome to Russian tanks!

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The Mauschen is allegedly such a lovely tank that not only are they not going to put it into the game in 9.9, they're going to take it out of the second 9.9 test.

Also possibly going to not nerf pen due to the tests just not working.

I cant imagine why something with terrible gun handling and tier 7 DPM "just wont work" in tier 9

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Your fuel tank is quite prominent. Try not to get shot at.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hellsau posted:

Welcome to Russian tanks!

I play Soviets almost exclusively. I've never noticed it as a stand out problem before like, for instance, ammo racks in the mediums. I guess I'm just butthurt because after grinding six million credits and two hundred thousand experience I wasn't prepared for that to be my first experience in the tank.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Your fuel tank is quite prominent. Try not to get shot at.

Is it a common enough problem to be worth trading Off-road Driving (counts-as fourth skill, at 76%) for preventative maintenance?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not clanned up, and know nothing of strongholds unfortunately.

This actually kind of works in your favor, if you don't mind not getting the little bonuses from the Stronghold Reserves; when you're clanless you can play as a legionnaire for any other clan doing their skirmishes. It's part of the reason my little brother's account is clanless.

Also, you can do tier 8s in Team Battles, they're apparently still a thing. Some teams might object to the KV-4 though. :shrug:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I play Soviets almost exclusively. I've never noticed it as a stand out problem before like, for instance, ammo racks in the mediums. I guess I'm just butthurt because after grinding six million credits and two hundred thousand experience I wasn't prepared for that to be my first experience in the tank.

Is it a common enough problem to be worth trading Off-road Driving (counts-as fourth skill, at 76%) for preventative maintenance?

Preventative Maintenance only affects the engine fire chance, IIRC. When your fuel tanks are destroyed, the chance of fire is 100%.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ORD is pretty terrible though, so trade it for something else anyway.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Off Road Driving does nothing. Preventative Maintenance isn't great since it's only engines. Repair, Camo, Smooth Ride, Clutch Braking, and BiA are all more useful driver skills, so you shouldn't have the two crap skills on the crew unless you've got an absurd Russian medium crew.

Not having camo or repair on your Russian mediums is particularly foolish since they have great base camo and good repair times, and smooth ride is also great for even more snapshots.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

SR rumor mill posted:

There will be no penetration nerf AT ALL, since the tests have shown that it didn't work. So no changes planned for now (at least summer and autumn will be without changes).

Well no poo poo it didn't loving work, you barely touched the god drat gold shells.

quote:

Also, Mauschen will not be implemented (it will not be in 9.9 test 2 anymore) because it sucks, devs decided not to put it in.

:lol:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Well this thread has turned into wotforums.txt. See you in game.

People don't agree with me, waaahh.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

TheFluff posted:

The only counterbattery I ever saw was a guy using banned mods that lit up enemy arty and he knocked out all 3 in his own.

I honestly didn't mind it, gently caress arty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Cheers for the input. I'll look into re-speccing the next time there's a discount on it.

At the moment my driver is SoS, Repairs, Camo, Smooth Ride, Off-road. So I'll switch out Off-road for Clutch. Then start her on Firefighting or something at the sixth, if I ever get them there.