Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Pan Dulce posted:

How bad is it to get into the Indigo Ballroom? I want to see Comedy Central: Drunk History and Another Period.
It depends on counter-programming, I've found. On days where there isnt much else going on, it's pretty rough. On Friday's for the adult swim stuff, though, when its up against Game of Thrones or Walking Dead over in Hall H, I've literally strolled in with no wait. Considering this is Thursday, though, I'd plan on spending at least a bit of time lining up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pan Dulce posted:

How bad is it to get into the Indigo Ballroom? I want to see Comedy Central: Drunk History and Another Period.

Probably where Hall H used to be 10 years ago. Probably gonna wanna aim for 2-3 panels beforehand. At least 2 hours probably, and even that might be cutting it close

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
alright, I might finally make a Gravity Falls panel

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

Is their a good way that isn't eBay to get the exclusives if you can't go? I hate paying 2 or 3 times the price because of companies making exclusives that are better then their non exclusives

Try to ask someone in line to buy it for you. Tell them to keep the change at the end

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Wow, the programming schedule pages load slow as poo poo, and sometimes incomplete.

The MySched stuff is broken. Worked fine in years past. This is sad.

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 26, 2015

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Friday's up.
http://comic-con.org/cci/friday

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Friday in Hall H is going to be an epic clusterfuck. Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and Star Wars? :cripes:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I was noticing that too. You're either in first thing or you're probably not getting in at all.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
It won't bother me as I have my sights set on Ash vs. Evil Dead, but my buddy is a Star Wars nut and has his heart set on that, so I'm guessing he should just camp out overnight.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Aw yeah, the Kung Fury -> Worst Cartoons -> Spike and Mike marathon is set for room 6bcf

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

There's no Thursday line early enough for Hall H Friday. I think there will be more people waiting outside Hall H on Thursday than there will be actual people in Hall H.

No matter how lackluster Thursday's programming is, I don't want my first day of Con to be 24 hours spent on a lawn. Even for Force Awakens.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Heh, I'll (I hope) be in Hall H Thursday for Doctor Who and Con Man.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Yeah, it will be full for Doc Who and Hunger Games, but I think the turnout for the 6pm world premiere of Scooby-Doo! and KISS: Rock and Roll Mystery! is mostly going to be Hall H campers enjoying the AC while their friends hold their spots.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I think the only thing that could make that remotely manageable is if Ballroom 20 announced Peter Jackson presents The Silmarillion, Frozen 2, Half Life 3: The Movie, Marvel Vs DC: This Time Spiderman is Here, Firefly season 2: Only On Netflix, and The Matrix 4: Closure At Last

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Heh, I'll (I hope) be in Hall H Thursday for Doctor Who and Con Man.

lol just lol if you aren't in line like right this instant

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 26, 2015

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr Tran posted:

Aw yeah, the Kung Fury -> Worst Cartoons -> Spike and Mike marathon is set for room 6bcf

In addition to the Indigo Ballroom Cartoon Network/Adult Swim marathon that starts the day. Hall H can go gently caress itself.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Edit: NM. Looks like that's been updated.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

lol just lol if you aren't in line like right this instant

Eh, you do what you can do.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I wonder if anyone would trade passes from Hall H to Ballroom 20 for the last bit... I'm a rabid fan of Orphan Black and iZombie, but I've never actually seen a Star Wars film.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pan Dulce posted:

I wonder if anyone would trade passes from Hall H to Ballroom 20 for the last bit... I'm a rabid fan of Orphan Black and iZombie, but I've never actually seen a Star Wars film.

can't promise I'll be in Ballroom 20 all day myself but I can try and work a triangle

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Pretty sure there will be at least a couple of people who get into Hall H on Thursday night, and then try to hide behind one of the curtains or inside the bathroom stall overnight.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Saturday is up.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
drat it, have to brave Hall H again for The Hateful Eight.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

drat it, have to brave Hall H again for The Hateful Eight.
Friday's gonna be the worst day and Warner is early on Saturday so all the DC fanatics will be gone. I could see you being to walk in for Hateful Eight honestly.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

It sucks. All I want it Once Upon a Time in Ballroom 20 and the rest Hall H. How long do you think the wait will be?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Sunday's up

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

So can anyone explain the wristband stuff to me? I'm old to this new game; before, we just had bathroom tickets that let us leave for a panel and come back before the next one.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

So can anyone explain the wristband stuff to me? I'm old to this new game; before, we just had bathroom tickets that let us leave for a panel and come back before the next one.

Same here - I haven't gone for Hall H in a couple years and have no clue about the wristbands.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Lines start up the day before. Basically around 1 AMish (may be even like 9PM for first go around), they start handing out wristbands. They have enough for I think 75% of the full hall. From there they're quartered into sections and the first 25% get one color, the next 25% get another and so on. If you have a wristband, you are ensured access to Hall H for ONLY the first panel. Once you leave Hall H, your wristband means fuckall.

The other aspect, you MUST be with your party when they hand out wristbands. No wristband, no entry (with your group). However, once you have a wristband, you can leave someone behind while everyone goes back to their hotel or whatever, just everyone in your party has to be with the party before they open Hall H (10 AM). Obviously you can still camp out but this whole thing allows for shift sleeping on real beds with people being able to take showers. It also limits the ability for someone to just line up on say Thursday (for Friday) and he's the only one you see all loving night and then at 9:30 50 people come in and they all say they're with that person. If they have bands, ok, whatever but if not, they're hosed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They're easily transferable though right?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

They're that paper with sticky poo poo "able to drink adult beverages at the fair" kind of wristbands. I believe they put it on you so they decide how tight on your it is.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

RevKrule posted:

Once you leave Hall H, your wristband means fuckall.

So it's not like the tickets. The wristband means you get in, you get a seat. But you have to stay plastered in it or move up once people skedaddle. You can't trade for a Ballroom 20 pass then while on a "bathroom break"?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

So it's not like the tickets. The wristband means you get in, you get a seat. But you have to stay plastered in it or move up once people skedaddle. You can't trade for a Ballroom 20 pass then while on a "bathroom break"?

Yup. Wristbands are only good for the first panel to help with overnight camping issues. They're only purpose is queueing. Once the first person in line without a wristband enters Hall H, that day's band is utterly worthless.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Hall H does still give out re-entry tickets though. They won't be checking for wristbands on top of them, I'm pretty sure. They have claimed to get more fussy about who they give them out to since there are bathrooms in the hall, but last year when we needed fresh air halfway through the day we were straight about it and they gave them to us no problem.

Trading passes like that feels like a really lovely thing to do, though, at least to me. Other people waiting in line for the thing they care about didn't get to sit through panels in the meantime to skip back and forth between rooms.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Anyone still looking for a room at this point?

The rest of my party ended up not being able to make it, so they're looking to get someone to take over the deposit of either a single King room or a double twin room at the Hilton Mission Valley. The rooms look really nice from the website. I could potentially take a roommate, too, if someone wants to split the cost of a double twin. I have PMs, or email yawgthedruid@aol.com

E: Oh! Also, we have three spare tickets to w00tstock. Lower level, stage right, near the middle of the theater.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 29, 2015

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I have an etiquette question.

One of my books will be on sale on the exhibitor floor (a bookseller friend kindly offered to have it at his booth, as no way can I afford a booth). I have some nice postcards that I want to hand out that talk about the book and tell people which booth to get it at. Is it kosher to hand those cards out inside the convention center, preferably in the exhibitor room? Or should I hang out outside the con and hand them out?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I've DEFINITELY been given cards inside the hall. Most of the time it's someone in the relative vicinity of the booth but sometimes further away. Start close and see how far other people are going.

Don't discount handing them out outside the convention center either. I would recommend staying away from the intersection of L and 5th (aka where EVERYONE is trying to cross the loving street) as that's always packed, always loud, and everyone's trying to get somewhere else. However if you go north a block or two or east/west a block or two, you're much less crowded and it's easier to have conversations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Offsites partially updated

They'll post more about wristbands tomorrow. Here are the line up guidelines http://comic-con.org/toucan/22-hall-h-plaza-park-lines

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

I've DEFINITELY been given cards inside the hall. Most of the time it's someone in the relative vicinity of the booth but sometimes further away. Start close and see how far other people are going.

Don't discount handing them out outside the convention center either. I would recommend staying away from the intersection of L and 5th (aka where EVERYONE is trying to cross the loving street) as that's always packed, always loud, and everyone's trying to get somewhere else. However if you go north a block or two or east/west a block or two, you're much less crowded and it's easier to have conversations.

I would avoid handing them out outside honestly, that's just asking to go straight on the ground or into the trash. Doing it inside you can convince people it's swag

I once saw a guy in a less trafficked area near the smaller panel rooms upstairs dressed like a torture prisoner/hostage, he was on his knees with a dark cover over his head with a stack of flyers in front of him. Seemed kind of a nutty way to promote but kudos to his cosplay dedication.

Might be good to dress up or have some eye catching theme to go with with your book?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Might be good to dress up or have some eye catching theme to go with with your book?

I'm definitely considering that. It's a movie review book, and I cosplay the Phantom of the Paradise (which I review in the book) so that would work. The only problem with the cosplay is that the mask I wear gives me jack poo poo for peripheral vision and depth perception so I could end up shoving a postcard into someone's midsection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Solution: pay a hot chick. I don't know what your book is about but now I wanna know

• Locked thread