Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

:thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
At least Fox has an agenda they're trying to push. CNN is just desperate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

To be honest I'm still surprised Fox News gets to keep having "news" in its name.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I only read Al-Jazeera now

it's the only one left whose mobile site doesn't freeze my phone up for 15+ seconds or block my entire screen with an ad whose exit button isn't displayed

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I only read Al-Jazeera now

it's the only one left whose mobile site doesn't freeze my phone up for 15+ seconds or block my entire screen with an ad whose exit button isn't displayed

Same. AJNews is a lot more palatable than CNN these days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So uh, how does a Qatar owned media cover LGBT stuff?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pretty well. Unless you are in Qatar.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Very carefully

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't think Qatar really cares how AJA covers subjects that don't deal with Qatar directly.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That's handled by Al Jazeera Qatarly.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's handled by Al Jazeera Qatarly.

I also like the Al Jazeera outlet dealing with issues of masculinity in colonial New England, Al Jazeera Yemen.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Matt Walsh goes into old man yells at cloud territory to remind us that The Truth inherently means gay marriage isn't real, it's make believe, not possible.

quote:

But whatever the Supreme Court says, the Truth remains the same: There is no right to gay marriage. There is no gay marriage. It’s not real. It’s not possible.

It’s make-believe. It means nothing.

You might say it doesn’t matter now because the Supreme Beings have spoken, but I happen to think that Truth always matters. Despite what any judge says; despite the prevailing opinion; despite the surveys and polls and consensuses; the Truth still matters. If it doesn’t, then nothing matters and life is pointless. Your existence has no meaning if the Truth is irrelevant. There is no reason for you to be on this planet if there is no Truth worth fighting for.And the Truth is that, due to the fundamental nature of human rights, marriage, and homosexuality, a union between two homosexuals is not, has never been, and will never be a legitimate marriage

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Your life has no meaning if THE TRUTH isn't relevant. So please join me in acting like nothing happened this week. Trigger warning: we may occasionally break kayfabe to make fag jokes about people's rainbow avatars.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

But whatever the Supreme Court says, the Truth remains the same: There is no right to racial equality. There is no racial equality. It’s not real. It’s not possible.

It’s make-believe. It means nothing.

You might say it doesn’t matter now because the Supreme Beings have spoken, but I happen to think that Truth always matters. Despite what any judge says; despite the prevailing opinion; despite the surveys and polls and consensuses; the Truth still matters. If it doesn’t, then nothing matters and life is pointless. Your existence has no meaning if the Truth is irrelevant. There is no reason for you to be on this planet if there is no Truth worth fighting for.And the Truth is that, due to the fundamental nature of human rights, race, and equality, a union between two races is not, has never been, and will never be [...] legitimate

K. Gotcha.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't think Qatar really cares how AJA covers subjects that don't deal with Qatar directly.

As someone who watches AJA semi-regularly, I'm not sure I can remember them ever covering Qatar

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love that conservatives at every level, from sitting politicians down to irrelevant bloggers, are outing themselves with these baldfaced hateful statements that they can't walk back. Like, even the confederate flag drama can be hidden behind "SOUTHERN HERITAGE" bullshit, but this is just unambiguous hate speech. I hope someone in the media besides Daily Show interns are cataloging all this.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 28, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm more enjoying the fact that this is going to be around forever.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

radical meme posted:

I had no idea who Steven Deace was so I google him and the banner on his website told me everything I needed to know.

Steve Deace
Fear God, Tell the Truth, Make Money

It's my favorite radio show to listen to because he literally thinks that gays have an end goal of shutting down Christian churches and throwing all of the Christians in jail, I can't wait until the podcast for his Friday show goes up because it's probably going to be three hours of tears and anger.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty well. Unless you are in Qatar.
Yeah, Al Jazeera America covered the Supreme Court ruling really well, I couldn't see any type of anti-gay bias at all. Hell they interviewed a dude who was at the original Stonewall riots/protests.

Al Jazeera America is cool and good, and is definitely better than all the other US cable TV news stations by a long shot.

The irony that the best American news station is based in Qatar has never stopped being funny.:v:

Iowa Snow King posted:

As someone who watches AJA semi-regularly, I'm not sure I can remember them ever covering Qatar
I saw something about Qatar and FIFA sometime, but that's all I can remember.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think AJA is editorially independent of Al Jazeera in Qatar. They're basically a different entity, just owned by the same folks.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Ownership of media is still kinda important

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

MaxxBot posted:

It's my favorite radio show to listen to because he literally thinks that gays have an end goal of shutting down Christian churches and throwing all of the Christians in jail, I can't wait until the podcast for his Friday show goes up because it's probably going to be three hours of tears and anger.

I just went to the website and soon got a big pop-up ad featuring a photo+endorsement of some poo poo from Ellen Degeneres

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Al Jazeera English and/or America has pretty much the same problem NPR & PRI do. It isn't so much what they cover or how they cover it, it's what they won't cover. But since with Al Jazeera that's pretty much just poo poo directly related to Qatar, that makes them a much better news source for the West. RT is similar re: Russia.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

VideoTapir posted:

Al Jazeera English and/or America has pretty much the same problem NPR & PRI do. It isn't so much what they cover or how they cover it, it's what they won't cover. But since with Al Jazeera that's pretty much just poo poo directly related to Qatar, that makes them a much better news source for the West. RT is similar re: Russia.

RT pushes the Russian party line quite a bit, like how they treated CIA conspiracies in Venezuela as a legitimate source of the protests.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I think AJA is editorially independent of Al Jazeera in Qatar. They're basically a different entity, just owned by the same folks.

I hope so. I used to listen to Al Jazeera in Qatar and as a result have never paid much attention to it or taken it seriously in the US. In Qatar it was pretty rabid. I remember this "American" guy who they used to put on to yell at who was so much a right wing caricature that I think Rush Limbaugh would've told him to tone it down.

Also, they really weren't fans of anything Iran did about anything.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Amused to Death posted:

Matt Walsh goes into old man yells at cloud territory to remind us that The Truth inherently means gay marriage isn't real, it's make believe, not possible.

Gay Marriage is Darth Vader, Matt Walsh is Luke Skywalker. No matter how much he says gay marriage is not real and impossible, he'll have to know one day that it is real.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Lol if you trust Russia Today to report the truth. Like there are countless better places to get the news from that the people that glorify Putin

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Ha ha Brent Bozell is mad

The Confederate flag and cultural fascism

Up until last week none had a problem in the world with that flag.

Gotta say, this is a new one.

Also, why is all the support and adulation for the Confederate flag only coming from people who belong to the Party of Lincoln? So odd..

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Gotta say, this is a new one.

Also, why is all the support and adulation for the Confederate flag only coming from people who belong to the Party of Lincoln? So odd..

They are gracious in their victory and would like Southerners* to retain their heritage, while the dastardly Democrats are attempting to destroy the Confederate flag in order to run from their sins.

No, it doesn't really make much sense.

*Racist white Southerners.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Bless our hearts

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beatlegs posted:

GOP candidates weigh in:

Bush: “I believe in traditional marriage.”

Walker: “The only alternative left is to support an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage.”

Rubio: “I believe that marriage…should be between one man and one woman.”

Perry: “I’m a firm believer in traditional marriage… I fundamentally disagree with the court rewriting the law and assaulting the 10th Amendment.”

Jindal: “Marriage between a man and a woman was established by God, and no earthly court can alter that.”

Fiorina: “I do not agree that the Court can or should redefine marriage.”

Huckabee: “The only outcome worse than this flawed, failed decision would be for the President and Congress…to surrender in the face of this out-of-control act of unconstitutional, judicial tyranny.”

From a ways back but I think it's worth pointing out how many Republicans really do want to live in a theocracy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BiggerBoat posted:

From a ways back but I think it's worth pointing out how many Republicans really do want to live in a theocracy.

Republicans are the party of Lincoln who freed the slaves and they love the Confederacy and everything it stood for.
Republicans love the US Constitution so much that some of them will carry small copies of it around in their pockets and they find many of the powers it gives the government they work for completely tyrannical and deeply offensive to their sensibilities.
Republicans love freedom and want to protect religious freedom by establishing a singular interpretation of one specific religion as the law of the land.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Time has a double-header for y'all.

http://time.com/3938050/orthodox-christians-must-now-learn-to-live-as-exiles-in-our-own-country/

quote:

No, the sky is not falling — not yet, anyway — but with the Supreme Court ruling constitutionalizing same-sex marriage, the ground under our feet has shifted tectonically.

It is hard to overstate the significance of the Obergefell decision — and the seriousness of the challenges it presents to orthodox Christians and other social conservatives. Voting Republican and other failed culture war strategies are not going to save us now.

Discerning the meaning of the present moment requires sobriety, precisely because its radicalism requires of conservatives a realistic sense of how weak our position is in post-Christian America.

and

quote:

While I disagree with Supreme Court’s redefinition of marriage, I believe that all Americans have the right to contract.

The constitution is silent on the question of marriage because marriage has always been a local issue. Our founding fathers went to the local courthouse to be married, not to Washington, DC.

I’ve often said I don’t want my guns or my marriage registered in Washington.

Those who disagree with the recent Supreme Court ruling argue that the court should not overturn the will of legislative majorities. Those who favor the Supreme Court ruling argue that the 14th amendment protects rights from legislative majorities.

Do consenting adults have a right to contract with other consenting adults? Supporters of the Supreme Court’s decision argue yes but they argue no when it comes to economic liberties, such as contracts regarding wages.

It seems some rights are more equal than others.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

quote:

post-Christian America
Beautiful. I like the sound the sound of it and hope it becomes a new buzzword/talking point.
I like how the second quote is all "I'll let you have your gay marriage but what about the rights of robber barons to pay their employees under a dollar an hour?!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Why can't I sign a contract to purchase people's children? Some rights are more equal than others.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

From the headline I assumed it was something about, you know, actual Orthodox Christians and was confused because, you know, there was actually some of that in Soviet Russia.

Nope, just crying like a bunch of stupid babies because gay people can get married.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

catlord posted:

From the headline I assumed it was something about, you know, actual Orthodox Christians and was confused because, you know, there was actually some of that in Soviet Russia.
Are they saying "orthodox" now because "fundamentalist" has too much negative connotation? I was confused for a second too.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 29, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Time wasn't really the best magazine or anything, but this is pretty surprising. New management?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Lycus posted:

Are they saying "orthodox" now because "fundamentalist" has too much negative connotation? I was confused for a second too.

Think Greek Orthodox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Gaj posted:

Think Greek Orthodox

Oh no the author clearly means "religious traditionalists" (their words) and found an existing word without the baggage of "fundamentalist".