Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Say Nothing posted:

No wonder robin killed himself.

Uthor posted:

Bruce Caitlyn doesn't give a gently caress about your standards of beauty.

I don't care if it was low hanging fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well not anymore it's not, that was sort of the point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Simpsons Comics #73

Context: Springfield's biggest nerd plans to bequeath his entire collection of memorabilia to whoever wins a contest to identify Springfield's new biggest nerd, so all the town's nerds take steps to prove their nerdishness:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I don't think the comic code would've allowed for that back then, not with those skirts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So, Howard The Duck #4:

Wait a second... zoom, enhance!

I've seen that before, Gravity Falls.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I laugh so I don't cry.

Batgirl: Redemption Road #6

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

nerdman42 posted:

I laugh so I don't cry.

From one of the original Cassandra Batgirl comics, can't remember which one. Always makes me laugh :downs:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Are Asian people one of those things like children which are -really- hard for comic book artists to draw?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sizone posted:

Are Asian people one of those things like children which are -really- hard for comic book artists to draw?

Evidence points to yes:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Lurdiak posted:

Evidence points to yes:

Sorry but as that person is from a galaxy far, far away, technically not an Asian.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Andy Kubert has no trouble at all! Because he draws everyone as Asian whether they are or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Sorry but as that person is from a galaxy far, far away, technically not an Asian.

Space-Asian. Spacian, if you will.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimates 2 kind of straight up forgot that Wasp was supposed to be asian.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ultimates 3 :flashfact:

Also, the least bad thing about that comic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pimpmust posted:

From one of the original Cassandra Batgirl comics, can't remember which one. Always makes me laugh :downs:

I love Cassandra Cain so goddamn much as a character but every time I look at her original books it's no surprise why she didn't catch on.

Say Nothing posted:

Ultimates 2 kind of straight up forgot that Wasp was supposed to be asian.

I really do want to know who fell asleep at the wheel to let that book come out the way it did. I mean one expects Jeph Loeb to be a horrible excuse for a writer so it's not like they shouldn't have had someone on-hand to sand off the poo poo and make it another cameo parade full of splash pages that casual fans eat up like crazy.

I think the whole "Asians are hard to draw thing" are because art tends to abstract human figures down to their base visual elements, and comic artists are justifiably terrified of inviting any comparison to the racist garbage that was around in the 40s by being reductive in the wrong way, especially with the eyes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, even asian artists sometimes can't draw asian-looking asians. You got dudes with blue eyes and blonde hair and dark skin and big noses in mangas and stuff that suddenly gain asian features when converted to CG for video game cutscenes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sizone posted:

It can be tricky, yeah. It's a relatively subtle distinction when you're working in pencil, as opposed to painting or something. Epicanthic folds are easy to exaggerate when you're drawing eyes by hand.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wait wait wait, don't tell me, cover, let me guess: It's Magneto, right? Is Magneto back again?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Plot twist: It isn't! It's Psylocke

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Ghostlight posted:

Plot twist: It isn't! It's Psylocke

More specifically, the caucasian, original version of her!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

nerdman42 posted:

I laugh so I don't cry.

Batman: Don't worry Cassandra. I will sign off on the adoption papers and officially adopt you as my daughter.
Right after I take care of this Black Glove fellow. He sounds like a complete push over. I won't in any way need your help on this one, so take the week off.

AND HE WAS NEVER SEEN AGAIN!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lurdiak posted:

Man, even asian artists sometimes can't draw asian-looking asians. You got dudes with blue eyes and blonde hair and dark skin and big noses in mangas and stuff that suddenly gain asian features when converted to CG for video game cutscenes.
Yeah, with this guy I would have no idea he was asian without the backstory.

The artist just doesn't seem to put in the effort.

OPM is awesome

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a good article about how race is depicted in manga.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Uthor posted:

Ultimates 3 :flashfact:

Also, the least bad thing about that comic.

Yet still not as bad as Ultimatum though. *shudder*

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yet still not as bad as Ultimatum though. *shudder*

Ultimatum was, I think, the worst of Loeb's three "efforts" in the Ultimate universe. It seemed like he was just phoning it in and giving it minimal thought if that. At least New Ultimates had some sort of plot-ish thing beyond "Grr, let's go get Stryfe Magneto!" Ultimatum, though, seemed like it was just a spectacle for a spectacle's sake, like lighting someone's house on fire and saying, "Yeah, but doesn't it LOOK awesome?!?"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I hope no one minds me posting this in "Funny Panels", because this is Funny in the "WTF?" type of way:

From Marvel Team-Up #147 with Spider-Man and the Human Torch:

Want to guess the context?

Spider-Man is trying to snap a brainwashed Human Torch awake by taunting him as harshly as he can.

glowing-fish fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 29, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hm, I'll take a stab. Is this when Johnny wanted to quit after a kid lit himself on fire playing Human Torch?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glowing-fish posted:

I hope no one minds me posting this in "Funny Panels", because this is Funny in the "WTF?" type of way:

From Marvel Team-Up #147 with Spider-Man and the Human Torch:

Want to guess the context?

I can't remember which was which, but between Valeria and Franklin, didn't one die very young and the other miscarried or was a still birth, then time shenanigans fixed it. (Actually, part of me feels both of those thing happened to Valeria).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keromaru5 posted:

Hm, I'll take a stab. Is this when Johnny wanted to quit after a kid lit himself on fire playing Human Torch?

No, that was a done-in-one Byrne issue of F4.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ManiacClown posted:

Ultimatum was, I think, the worst of Loeb's three "efforts" in the Ultimate universe. It seemed like he was just phoning it in and giving it minimal thought if that. At least New Ultimates had some sort of plot-ish thing beyond "Grr, let's go get Stryfe Magneto!" Ultimatum, though, seemed like it was just a spectacle for a spectacle's sake, like lighting someone's house on fire and saying, "Yeah, but doesn't it LOOK awesome?!?"

Except it didn't look awesome. Especially what Loeb did to Wasp.

Christ.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I can't remember which was which, but between Valeria and Franklin, didn't one die very young and the other miscarried or was a still birth, then time shenanigans fixed it. (Actually, part of me feels both of those thing happened to Valeria).

Yes. To both. I think.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Franklin's been around since the 60's, though he was kept comatose for a while to seal his powers. Sue got pregnant again in the 80's, but since the child was conceived in the Negative Zone, difficulties arose, Reed wasn't able to convince Doctor Octopus to temporarily stop being evil in time, and the baby was stillborn.

Then shenanigans happened in the 90's, and a teenage Valeria came from an alternate future where she'd been raised by Sue and Dr. Doom. It turned out Franklin had unconsciously sent her to that alternate universe when she "died." Then he and Val combined their powers to resurrect Galactus so he could get the Ultimate Nullifier from Abraxas, and when it was used, Val reverted back to Sue's womb, the pregnancy started over again, and this time with Doom's help, she was delivered successfully.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bryne get your unbirthing fetish outta here

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Keromaru5 posted:

Then shenanigans happened in the 90's, and a teenage Valeria came from an alternate future where she'd been raised by Sue and Dr. Doom. It turned out Franklin had unconsciously sent her to that alternate universe when she "died." Then he and Val combined their powers to resurrect Galactus so he could get the Ultimate Nullifier from Abraxas, and when it was used, Val reverted back to Sue's womb, the pregnancy started over again, and this time with Doom's help, she was delivered successfully.

Chris Claremont everybody!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Skwirl posted:

That was Valeria, and I haven't kept up on how many alt-universe versions of her have been brought back.

I will edit my post to explain what is going on behind a spoiler tag.

One of the things I've realized rereading (early) 1980s comics is that the entire "Grim and Gritty" thing didn't really come in with The Punisher and Wolverine. In fact, in some ways the 1990s were a lot less "Grim and Gritty", because they stopped focusing on human situations. So that is why I posted this, other than the fact that its just weird to see Spider-Man saying that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Keromaru5 posted:

Franklin's been around since the 60's, though he was kept comatose for a while to seal his powers. Sue got pregnant again in the 80's, but since the child was conceived in the Negative Zone, difficulties arose, Reed wasn't able to convince Doctor Octopus to temporarily stop being evil in time, and the baby was stillborn.

comicbooks.txt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Keromaru5 posted:

I really like how nothing in the current versions of them reference anything about that, aside from [b]Dr.[b] Doom helping Sue give birth to her.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god, Doom's been running Battleworld for 8 years.

Valeria is 4.

Goddammit Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god, Doom's been running Battleworld for 8 years.

Valeria is 4.

Goddammit Doom.

God Doom Loves All But One. :wiggle: