Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like Schwarma's King on Bank. Their garlic sauce is just amazing. The Garlic King is alright but not worth the trip from downtown for me.

His popemobile is the stuff of legend though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

There was a big scandal in Europe recently about horse meat entering the food chain. I don't mind that horse is being eaten per se, but it's the integrity of the food chain. Needless to say, doner cones were found with horse. 🐴🍔

Well now I just want a horse shawarma

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I prefer falafels for things that go inside of a pita.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

therattle posted:

In these parts, where the kebab is exceedingly popular (especially after night of drinking) there are two types: shish or doner.

I always find shish meat too dry / lean. Doner is definitely the superior option :colbert:

And the best falafels are Egyptian broadbean falafels. There's a tiny cafe near me that makes them and they're so good.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yall are all wrong :)

it's a mix of both in most cases - when you're talking "chicken" anyways.

I've had lots of conversations with shop owners about how doner cones are constructed, and it seems to be either a. premade or b. handmade, but in the same way.

you take turkey breasts (or maybe chicken breasts, but I doubt it, since the cones are so big (and turkey is cheap)) and butterfly them really thin, then alternate with layers of ground/pulverized chicken meat, stacking as you go. so you get whole chunks and also the delicious thin bouncey ground meatloaf like effect. all the premade doner/schwarma I've had in germany / israel / wherever seems to be like this.

the lamb stuff I have no idea about. it's at once delicious and terrifying. I'm sure there's some video out there of raw meatloaf lamb meat coming out of a giant grinder tube and being spiraled into a gigantic towering tube :(

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhD7WG9PvGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vatn-BHy1c

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
or this

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I've seen them constructed a few times out of lamb..

Goddamn delicious!

Never seen the meat cone thing in the industry supermarkets though.

With this big thing in Europe (scandal) - I think the last 'scandal' level thing we had was when some Germans died from eating veggies that were dirty some years back (3 or 4) - which basically ruined the Spanish export (or was it Greek?) og veggies to the rest of Europe - because one food scientist was too quick in stating where he thought the source was.

The German govt. was subsequently sued for slandering, and I think they lost?

But different meat scandal I've only heard of in relation to McDonald's, and that was rat.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Happy Hat posted:

I've seen them constructed a few times out of lamb..

Goddamn delicious!

Never seen the meat cone thing in the industry supermarkets though.

With this big thing in Europe (scandal) - I think the last 'scandal' level thing we had was when some Germans died from eating veggies that were dirty some years back (3 or 4) - which basically ruined the Spanish export (or was it Greek?) og veggies to the rest of Europe - because one food scientist was too quick in stating where he thought the source was.

The German govt. was subsequently sued for slandering, and I think they lost?

But different meat scandal I've only heard of in relation to McDonald's, and that was rat.

Are you saying you missed this, the biggest food related scandal in Europe so far this decade?

Since plenty ofthose doner cones are made fromm beef and not lamb here in Northern Europe some of them where probably affected by that scandal. I don't think the doner industry was all that affected though. The main focus of the scandal was ready made meals sold to consumers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DekeThornton posted:

Are you saying you missed this, the biggest food related scandal in Europe so far this decade?

Since plenty ofthose doner cones are made fromm beef and not lamb here in Northern Europe some of them where probably affected by that scandal. I don't think the doner industry was all that affected though. The main focus of the scandal was ready made meals sold to consumers.

pretty sure the meat pr0k's mom ate was the biggest food related scandal this decade

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mindphlux posted:

pretty sure the meat pr0k's mom ate was the biggest food related scandal this decade

And here I thought she restricted her activities to the US.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My grandfather has passed and I've been asked to provide vegetable/pickle/cheese platters for about 100 people at the visitation thing. I don't want to just bring crudite platters (although I will bring some because grandma loves boring vegetables). What should I make?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. :(

I usually think to do marinated olives, homemade pickles, homemade crackers, different vegetable dips, and a cheese tray with a little more variety and higher quality than you can get premade. Any or all of those would be good and don't usually take a whole ton of effort to put together.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

People like crunchy, so go hardcore on the quick pickles: pickled carrots, pickled cauliflower, pickled radishes, pickled daikon.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Grill some jalapeños, then pickle them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My grandfather has passed and I've been asked to provide vegetable/pickle/cheese platters for about 100 people at the visitation thing. I don't want to just bring crudite platters (although I will bring some because grandma loves boring vegetables). What should I make?

Set up a make your own pizza cone bar.

Also, sorry about your grandpa.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

DekeThornton posted:

And here I thought she restricted her activities to the US.

She travels...

Not well - but she travels

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

mindphlux posted:

gently caress GBS this poo poo tastes like girl vomit

The hell is the point of serving a rimmed glass with a straw? Also, as i mentioned in the gbs thread here, michelada cubana is the way to go. Great summertime drink.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Eat This Glob posted:

The hell is the point of serving a rimmed glass with a straw? Also, as i mentioned in the gbs thread here, michelada cubana is the way to go. Great summertime drink.

presumably so you can share your giant 64oz michelada with the person sitting across from you, as you salivate and slurp and look eachother deep within the eyes?

(and then one of you vomits and it all comes full circle {its probably the girl in this particular scenario})

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No the guy so he can then use the line "You look so clammy :V, let's get you somewhere warmer" and then he take her to his fireplace/futon and have sweet clammy sex.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone else noticed that vomit is really slimey and basically a lubricant? idk im just saying god works in mysterious ways...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

has anyone else noticed that vomit is really slimey and basically a lubricant? idk im just saying god works in mysterious ways...

Keep working at it, you'll get past the gag reflex eventually

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

But without a gag reflex how do you create vomit?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sim Hospital showed me that vomit is circular

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Eat This Glob posted:

I recommend leaving your house once in awhile, you'll find this isn't terribly uncommon!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Fetus Tree posted:

I recommend leaving your house once in awhile, you'll find this isn't terribly uncommon!

Just because it's common doesn't mean its not dumb

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Just because it's common doesn't mean its not dumb

Just because it's dumb doesn't mean it isn't fun and designed for being social, the latter two of which I wouldn't expect most of yall to care much about :smugdog:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I swear, the next person in my family who forgets my profession, tells me my food looks so professional, must have taken too much effort, then talks down to be because they were a homemaker for 20+ years and cooked for 5 people all the time is going to get yelled at. Yes, good job, you fed 5 people a day with hours of prep. I catered the whole goddamn 80 person family loving reunion in EIGHT GODDAMN HOURS, AND I DRANK THE ENTIRE TIME, WHICH IS WHY I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU RIGHT NOW.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I swear, the next person in my family who forgets my profession, tells me my food looks so professional, must have taken too much effort, then talks down to be because they were a homemaker for 20+ years and cooked for 5 people all the time is going to get yelled at. Yes, good job, you fed 5 people a day with hours of prep. I catered the whole goddamn 80 person family loving reunion in EIGHT GODDAMN HOURS, AND I DRANK THE ENTIRE TIME, WHICH IS WHY I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU RIGHT NOW.

I actually quit one cooking job in part because the boss's wife was always interfering in my work on that "I've fed a family of four for 12 years..." angle. She was the kind of person who would cut vegetables with a steak knife.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yeah putting things in the microwave and flipping a burg on the grill at Fridays must have done wonders for you. Too bad it didnt teach you a sense of humility.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah putting things in the microwave and flipping a burg on the grill at Fridays must have done wonders for you. Too bad it didnt teach you a sense of humility.

Hey, operating a microwave properly takes skill and training.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

therattle posted:

There was a big scandal in Europe recently about horse meat entering the food chain. I don't mind that horse is being eaten per se, but it's the integrity of the food chain. Needless to say, doner cones were found with horse. 🐴🍔

yes, the horse meat thing is a never ending story ....I don't mind horse either btw (I have a horse shop/butcher around the corner and it's excellent meat)), but the illegal use of it doesn't ehm..promote safety.

Oh, and doner cones in my country were tested by this tv-program-guys, and not only did the stuff sold as "lamb-doner" hardly contain any lamb (it was mostly a veal, chicken, turkey mixture, if I remember correctly), but they actually found pork in many of them, while NO-ONE mentioned it, even though they asked what meat was in it when they bought it! Which is kind of hilarious in a hosed up way, as the stuff around here is almost exclusively sold by muslims, and >50% is sold to muslims.

Also, the same program did a DNA test on halal butchers selling cheap "cubes of lamb", after getting a tip that it might not be lamb. It turned out that 40% of the tested shops sold cubes of turkey instead of lamb. (Luckily that can't be around my place, as non of my butchers sell cubes, just recognisable pieces of meat)

Anyway, I'm mostly into vegetables nowadays ;-)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fetus Tree posted:

Dunno if you're trying to be funny or not, but I've never worked at Friday's. I'm a sous at a luxury hotel, and take my profession seriously. My family seems to think it's a "phase" and I'll get a real job eventually.

But please, insult me some more, good joke guy.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dunno if you're trying to be funny or not, but I've never worked at Friday's. I'm a sous at a luxury hotel, and take my profession seriously. My family seems to think it's a "phase" and I'll get a real job eventually.

But please, insult me some more, good joke guy.

Your parents don't think you have a poo poo job because of the 'fancy' title and the fact you work in a 3 star hotel. They think you have a poo poo job because you have two roommates and live in a poor neighborhood and still don't have any savings

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just have a fairly decent idea of your situation :3:

This is kind of like the adult version of when a kid wears their halloween costume a few days after the holiday because they like the fantasy. You aren't a fancy chef.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I'm married, have no debt, and live in a decent part of town. My combined income is over 80k. No, you have no idea what you're talking about.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I'm married, have no debt, and live in a decent part of town. My combined income is over 80k. No, you have no idea what you're talking about.

....k-kakkoii

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

quote:

My combined income is over 80k

quote:

combined

quote:

my sides

so basically you didnt go to college and your wife makes about 50k

hahaahahahhaahahha

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

my sides

hahaahahahhaahahha

Go gently caress yourself you classist piece of poo poo.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Go gently caress yourself you classist piece of poo poo.

you say this like it should insult me

thats an issue for the 99%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fetus Tree posted:

my sides

hahaahahahhaahahha

Uh, my salary is 42k, so joke's on you? Not everyone had your poo poo job at Applebees or whatever, sorry you had bad times in your twenties.