Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

Twilight Princess also had problems with pacing and linearity. It felt like a guided tour of places you went to in OoT, but only in the order specified by the plot.

It would have been a huge improvement if you actually did have to make that delivery to Hyrule Castle Town on Epona, while having the option to explore the city or other places like Lake Hylia.

In XIII you want to get to Gran Pulse for 75% of the game, but you're forced to play through corridors with two character parties and with features of the battle system blocked off until it's time to be given the tutorial for it.

I dunno I enjoyed Twilight Princess way more than Final Fantasy 13.

and I 100%ed Twilight Princess.

the only thing that annoyed me about Twilight Princess was that there wa sno way to keep track of what Poes you collected, the marble maze minigame, and that you couldn't speed up the day/night cycle.

Final Fantasy 13, my list of complaints is much longer.
Leveling up required too many points to max out
it really is just one big hallway
the trophies were all awful and required way too much grinding
the regular enemy fights felt like a slog towards the end of the game due to massive amounts of HP
poo poo don't make a lick a of sense towards the end and you wind up in a big magic space computer where you fight the Gangster Communist Computer God
There was really only one pathway for everything other than granpulse so you couldn't avoid poo poo that you didn't need to fight.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HD DAD posted:

I adore XII and think it's my favorite in the entire series. It has good characters, good story, and good gameplay. Welp this has been my opinion.

ahhhhh gently caress you!!!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Xii was just ok, the sidequests were bullshit. It needed the Xillia/Xillia 2 style menu teleporting across the map because there was way too much running back to a teleporting crystal.

once you kill a quest boss you should be allowed to just port yourself back to the city.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
You do get some AP Eggs from Bltizball.

I also agree with the guy that wanted a standalone blitzball game. Make it like Football Manager or OOTP or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Comparing Final Fantasy XIII to Twilight Princess is really drat unfair on Twilight Princess. That game has issues, but it's still Zelda and out of the 3D Zelda games it probably still has the best dungeons in the entire series.

Well that and I like Twilight Princess and don't even think it's the weakest 3D Zelda game (hello Skyward Sword) and I hate almost everything about FF XIII.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Twilight Princess was bad and I didn't enjoy it enough to bother completing it. Was it one of those things where you already had to be a fan of Zelda or else it was equal parts boring and confusing?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

Twilight Princess was bad and I didn't enjoy it enough to bother completing it. Was it one of those things where you already had to be a fan of Zelda or else it was equal parts boring and confusing?

It was just a boring Zelda game, they've gotten really bad. A Link Between Worlds has been an exception, but the series is a mess of too many tutorials and text boxes.

You KNOW your game has too much dialogue when a Final Fantasy fan complains.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Xad posted:

The more I hear stuff like this, the more it makes me want to compare FFXIII to Twilight Princess. It's supposed to evoke a similar feeling of Ocarina of Time (FFVII), but it's not nearly as good for a huge amount of reasons.

I kinda feel like every LoZ game since Ocarina is meant to echo Ocarina.

On topic: FFXII is one of the worst games I've ever spent money to play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno I enjoyed Twilight Princess way more than Final Fantasy 13.

and I 100%ed Twilight Princess.

the only thing that annoyed me about Twilight Princess was that there wa sno way to keep track of what Poes you collected, the marble maze minigame, and that you couldn't speed up the day/night cycle.

Final Fantasy 13, my list of complaints is much longer.
Leveling up required too many points to max out
it really is just one big hallway
the trophies were all awful and required way too much grinding
the regular enemy fights felt like a slog towards the end of the game due to massive amounts of HP
poo poo don't make a lick a of sense towards the end and you wind up in a big magic space computer where you fight the Gangster Communist Computer God
There was really only one pathway for everything other than granpulse so you couldn't avoid poo poo that you didn't need to fight.
Your list is like 50/50 legitimate complaints and the reasons why FF13 is strangely one of my favorites.

Like the linearity is interesting in an honest sort of Call of Duty way when my game ADD subconsciously loathes anything that isn't a hallway. And the Baroque Space Pope becoming the main focus and villain and hiding in the computer plane is a special sort of Final Fantasy nonsense that I can dig. And in the critical path there isn't such a thing as an HP sponge unless the so called tutorials flew totally over your head, which is admittedly a problem with the game pacing since its a pretty common sentiment.

FF13 is beautiful garbage, like its forebear FF7 and FF7 remake better be beautiful garbage.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zedprime posted:

Your list is like 50/50 legitimate complaints and the reasons why FF13 is strangely one of my favorites.

Like the linearity is interesting in an honest sort of Call of Duty way when my game ADD subconsciously loathes anything that isn't a hallway. And the Baroque Space Pope becoming the main focus and villain and hiding in the computer plane is a special sort of Final Fantasy nonsense that I can dig. And in the critical path there isn't such a thing as an HP sponge unless the so called tutorials flew totally over your head, which is admittedly a problem with the game pacing since its a pretty common sentiment.

FF13 is beautiful garbage, like its forebear FF7 and FF7 remake better be beautiful garbage.

There's those frigging walking tank robots in the computer area that took as long as bosses to down. That and the Centaur bots that block the pathways in the city.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'll give a mulligan for computer land fights going off the rails with weird difficulty requirements but I remember the city assault fights mostly being a final reminder that the correct response to stagger is at least 1 atb bar of 3x ravager paradigm before commando comes out. Its very possible I am lost in nostalgia because I haven't played the end game since it came out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If you like FF13 then you're lost in nistalgia

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

corn in the bible posted:

If you like FF then you're lost in nistalgia
FTFY

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in fact you did not fix it for me, as lightning returns remains a good game despite your bitter trolling

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

I like FF13 because the combat was good and the game was very pretty.

And when I played it I came from FF10, so the characters compared very favorably.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mymla posted:

I like FF13 because the combat was good and the game was very pretty.

And when I played it I came from FF10, so the characters compared very favorably.

Wait, you didn't like "Racist Man," "Wannabe Goth Lady Wearing Belt Dress," "Mute Lion Man," and "World's Dumbest Athlete: Daddy Issues Edition?"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mega64 posted:

"Racist Man,"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Wait, you didn't like "Racist Man," "Wannabe Goth Lady Wearing Belt Dress," "Mute Lion Man," and "World's Dumbest Athlete: Daddy Issues Edition?"

Those guys were all pretty decent.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mute Lion Man is bad.

And his horn is gimped because he's a LOSER.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXIII's cast only compares favorably to FFXII's and that's only because FFXII cared more about the antagonists than it did the protagonists whereas XIII cared only about the protagonists and thoroughly ignored the antagonists. (and even then, Lightning wishes she was half the heroine Ashe is)

Compared to any other FF where the main party got a decent bit of development, it's about average. I certainly would never say I liked any of XIII's party more than Auron for example. Auron is that rare combination of superficial coolness and intriguing depth. I loved his backstory.

Also lol at FFX being called out on racism when praising FFXIII. At least the racism was part of Wakka's character development, as opposed to just part of his character.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 29, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I heard they patched in graphics options for the Steam version of FFXIII. Are they OK or should I still look for mods to fix it?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the best character development is FF1's, because four characters that can be any of six classes developed into a singular character that looks nothing like any of said jobs or their upgrades

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I heard they patched in graphics options for the Steam version of FFXIII. Are they OK or should I still look for mods to fix it?

I'm fairly certain they just patched in official support for the very popular fix. I played it without mods and was able to crank up resolution and made the game look great

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Compared to any other FF where the main party got a decent bit of development, it's about average. I certainly would never say I liked any of XIII's party more than Auron for example. Auron is that rare combination of superficial coolness and intriguing depth. I loved his backstory.

Auron is a boring mopey idiot. His backstory is that he followed Braska around and complained the whole time. He promised to take care of baby Yuna, then immediately committed suicide by pilgrimage cop to get out of it. Having learned the dark secret of Yevon he told no one and did nothing about it, for no reason. His answer to literally everything throughout the game is "leave him to die Yuna, you must finish your pilgrimage" which aside from being plain bad advice, is obviously not something that Yuna is ever going to do.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

In Training posted:

I'm fairly certain they just patched in official support for the very popular fix. I played it without mods and was able to crank up resolution and made the game look great

Thanks. I tried it out and it looks pretty good even if some shadows are a little off. I really, really wish there were some way of speeding up the early (15+ hours in) fights, though. Especially since I've already beaten the game once.

Tempo 119 posted:

Auron is a boring mopey idiot. His backstory is that he followed Braska around and complained the whole time. He promised to take care of baby Yuna, then immediately committed suicide by pilgrimage cop to get out of it. Having learned the dark secret of Yevon he told no one and did nothing about it, for no reason. His answer to literally everything throughout the game is "leave him to die Yuna, you must finish your pilgrimage" which aside from being plain bad advice, is obviously not something that Yuna is ever going to do.

I'm pretty sure everyone was so brainwashed they wouldn't believe him until they saw the truth with their own eyes. At least that's his justification, whether it's true or not.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 29, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can use cheat engine if you really want. There's an option to make one hit kill every enemy in the game, if you want to just run to Gran Pulse

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

So the man was heartbroken by the fact his two best friends in the world threw away their lives for nothing. That the three of them went on this agonizing quest just to bring happiness to Spira only for Sin to come back a few months later. And in his grief that they had both wasted their lives, he tried to avenge them. That fiend.

It should be noted the guy crawled all the way from Zanarkand to the bottom of Mt. Gagazet while dying in order to find someone who could look after Yuna.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

It should be noted the guy crawled all the way from Zanarkand to the bottom of Mt. Gagazet while dying in order to find someone who could look after Yuna.

Wow, Auron got really lucky that he didn't run into any random encounters.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know what this means right? They've finally found a game that can surpass Final Fantasy 7, otherwise they wouldn't be doing this remake. They have such high hopes for Final Fantasy XV it's ridiculous.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gologle posted:

You know what this means right? They've finally found a game that can surpass Final Fantasy 7, otherwise they wouldn't be doing this remake. They have such high hopes for Final Fantasy XV it's ridiculous.

Lightning Returns did it. XV will be bad.
Lightning, please return once more.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Renoistic posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone was so brainwashed they wouldn't believe him until they saw the truth with their own eyes. At least that's his justification, whether it's true or not.

Yeah when Tidus points out a bunch of illogical problems with Yevon Yuna's like "Oh wow I never thought about that" probably because she was too busy seeing Sin constantly destroying everything

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Tidus "Religion's bad and fake "takes a huge hit off of vaporizer"*
Everyone else "This motherfucker over here"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm pretty sure someone re-visioning Auron that far is not going to listen to anything.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Minrad posted:

the best character development is FF1's, because four characters that can be any of six classes developed into a singular character that looks nothing like any of said jobs or their upgrades

Thank god they never ruined the original crew of six by giving them personalities, it probably would have been worse than 8 bit theater

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so I got bored and want to pay Dissidia 012.

Tell me what I need to know going into the game, because at first glance it looks like there are a gazillion mechanics and systems and it feels kinda overwhelming.

Also, does FFT: WotL still run like garbage on the Vita?

tia~

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It runs exactly the same as on the PSP, so yes.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Annath posted:

Hey so I got bored and want to pay Dissidia 012.

Tell me what I need to know going into the game, because at first glance it looks like there are a gazillion mechanics and systems and it feels kinda overwhelming.

As somebody who played 012 himself and almost beat the story, you can safely ignore about half of those systems until the very end of the remake of the first Dissidia (there's a remake of the first Dissidia embedded in 012, by the way).

Expect to die very frequently to Kain at the end of Lightning's story. Kain is a massive jump up from what the game was throwing at you earlier (Lightning being one of the worst characters does not help this at all).

Finally, if you get stuck on something where you can choose characters freely, only the absolute highest level AI (this does not include the final boss) can dodge Yuna's Energy Ray to any reasonable degree of accuracy. They have a similar issue with Mega Flare, but Energy Ray is much more noticeable due to it being the first HP attack she has.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

As somebody who played 012 himself and almost beat the story, you can safely ignore about half of those systems until the very end of the remake of the first Dissidia (there's a remake of the first Dissidia embedded in 012, by the way).

Expect to die very frequently to Kain at the end of Lightning's story. Kain is a massive jump up from what the game was throwing at you earlier (Lightning being one of the worst characters does not help this at all).

Finally, if you get stuck on something where you can choose characters freely, only the absolute highest level AI (this does not include the final boss) can dodge Yuna's Energy Ray to any reasonable degree of accuracy. They have a similar issue with Mega Flare, but Energy Ray is much more noticeable due to it being the first HP attack she has.

Lightning is actually really good... against human opponents. Thunder is absurdly fast and builds lots of EX force. Problem is you don't get Thunderfall in the main story at any reasonable time unless you level up outside of the story.

The story isn't really that hard til near the end, considering you can just reasonably spam HP attacks at the AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tempo 119 posted:

Didn't Auron spend the next ten years or so raising Tidus in preperation to have him thrown back to Spira where he could use him and Yuna as tools to destroy (Yu) Yeven. The reason he pushes her so hard is because for all this to work she needs to at least get to Zanarkand and see how much of a hosed up deal yunalesca gives you as the final nail in the coffin of "maybe blind faith isn't the only way" that Auron sets up by putting Tidus with her in the first place. He immediately starts shouting what boils down to "Yes gently caress your religion, fight this woman" the second Yuna decides to not sacrifice her friends to Yunalesca. FFX is great because it's Yuna's story of self sacrifice, Tidus's story of trying to do good and get the girl, and Auron's tale of almost petty revenge.