Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's been a while but from what I remember the old guy is about to do something important to stop the great evil from appearing, but then he hesitates and suddenly the wind blows his beard to the side and reveals the great evil's icon on his chest. Something appears out of portal, old guy enters portal himself, boss fight with the something, portal is temporary closed, setup for sequel that never happened, the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

If he could disguise himself to not look like a blue cyber evil thing why did his human disguise have an "I"m actually evil, FYI" tattoo?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I don't think he was one of those things. He probably was just an agent of the guys in the other dimension. It's probably not explained in detail because you know, last minute plot-twist.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Mierenneuker posted:

setup for sequel that never happened, the end.

Just like super mario bros movie. You're not going to believe this!

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Mierenneuker posted:

setup for sequel that never happened, the end.

D4 :sigh:

Imagine if you were watching Memento and then 30 minutes into the movie a background extra tore off his clothes revealing a superhero costume with JG emblazoned on the front, yelled out "LEONARD SHELBY I AM THE JOHN G WHOM YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, I AM THE ONE WHO KILLED YOUR WIFE ALL ALONG" and then they dramatically leapt at each other only to freezeframe right before their fists collide with a "TO BE CONTINUED" flashing on the screen and then the credits rolling.

That's what the ending to D4 is like.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

im pooping! posted:

What it REALLY needs is more god drat flares or a way to take down wolves reliably with melee attacks and not just make them run off and come back to murder you.

If you have a knife/hatchet you'll start them bleeding, and you can follow the blood trail for where they eventually die and you can feast on their delicious flesh.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Cleretic posted:

Contrecoup posted:

I love the concept, the feel of combat, and most of the features in Monster Hunter 4, but the controls are the absolute worst loving garbage I have ever experienced. The game is completely unplayable without melee and a drat struggle with it. They were either intentionally designed to be godawful or made for someone not human.

The controls and the game structure combined were why I ultimately didn't play Monster Hunter 4 much. I feel like if the structure were something more palatable for me I'd forgive the troublesome controls, or if the controls were enjoyable I'd be okay with the grindy, short-burst structure, but both of them together was just too much.

Don't you know that not liking the controls in a Monster Hunter game means you're a garbage pleb who needs to git gud? Every single thing in MonHun is exactly the way it should be and is absolutely and utterly perfect and the devs can never ever ever do anything wrong.

The real thing dragging down Monster Hunter is the community.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Everything underwater in MH3 was terrible

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

PubicMice posted:

It's pretty much the same way with any game's rabid fans (see; Dark Souls and pretty much any MOBA)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Basically, video game people are not good.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

D4 :sigh:

Imagine if you were watching Memento and then 30 minutes into the movie a background extra tore off his clothes revealing a superhero costume with JG emblazoned on the front, yelled out "LEONARD SHELBY I AM THE JOHN G WHOM YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, I AM THE ONE WHO KILLED YOUR WIFE ALL ALONG" and then they dramatically leapt at each other only to freezeframe right before their fists collide with a "TO BE CONTINUED" flashing on the screen and then the credits rolling.

That's what the ending to D4 is like.

Sounds like the ending to No More Heroes, and that ending was great.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Did they confirm that D4 is never getting a second season?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Kay Kessler posted:

I got real frustrated fighting that schoolgirl ninja. Now I need a lets play with all the fighting cut out of this one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Did they confirm that D4 is never getting a second season?

Supposedly it sold well enough on PC that they're working on season 2.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hell yeah! :getin:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kay Kessler posted:

The No More Heroes ending was pretty good because the game was farcical and episodic by nature, having the last-minute twist and bizarre ending worked to that. D4 was a murder mystery built around trying to figure out the identity of a murderer based on clues that just had a bunch of stuff...happen and then ended right when the :lsd: was starting to kick in. Considering that Deadly Premonition had the killer driving around with a "HESTHE1" license plate for the entire game I wasn't really expecting a masterclass in suspense but you can tell that the Kinect being such an obvious sinking ship that everybody was rushing to get off of wound up effecting the development

If you don't care about spoilers here's the game's ending, even with context starting around 2:30 it doesn't make much more sense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-2eJLR8Ms

Leal posted:

Supposedly it sold well enough on PC that they're working on season 2.

This is good! I still really enjoyed the game and will totally buy a second season just for all the crazy dialogue and puzzles and collectibles, the ending just kind of put a damper on the whole experience.

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

PubicMice posted:

Don't you know that not liking the controls in a Monster Hunter game means you're a garbage pleb who needs to git gud? Every single thing in MonHun is exactly the way it should be and is absolutely and utterly perfect and the devs can never ever ever do anything wrong.

Speaking of the connection I know you're alluding to here, I feel I can best describe MH4's controls as 'like if Dark Souls controlled like poo poo'. It's legitimately the only game I've played where, actually, stealing unrepentantly from Dark Souls definitely would improve it.

I'll grant that I wasn't playing it with the New 3DS, which apparently helps the experience a lot by hefting the camera onto the second control stick-nub-pad-thing, but I honestly found the camera came lower than I expected it to on my list of issues.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When I bought a New 3DS and played Monster Hunter 4U on it, it made so much of a difference that now I can't play it on the original 3DS. Too uncomfortable.

As for things dragging Monster Hunter down, I'm a huge fan, but they really should let people join quests after they've started. It'd make things so much easier for everyone.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I don't have a New 3DS, but I honestly can't see it being that much different from the touchscreen pad.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

The No More Heroes ending was pretty good because the game was farcical and episodic by nature, having the last-minute twist and bizarre ending worked to that. D4 was a murder mystery built around trying to figure out the identity of a murderer based on clues that just had a bunch of stuff...happen and then ended right when the :lsd: was starting to kick in. Considering that Deadly Premonition had the killer driving around with a "HESTHE1" license plate for the entire game I wasn't really expecting a masterclass in suspense but you can tell that the Kinect being such an obvious sinking ship that everybody was rushing to get off of wound up effecting the development

If you don't care about spoilers here's the game's ending, even with context starting around 2:30 it doesn't make much more sense:

This is good! I still really enjoyed the game and will totally buy a second season just for all the crazy dialogue and puzzles and collectibles, the ending just kind of put a damper on the whole experience.

Deez axxents ah supah gud

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

this loving owns

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

So I'm seven years late to this one but holy hot drat the last five minutes of Fallout 3 are about as dumb as they could possibly be.

The game ramps up really well until that point, too, which makes it a real shame. The final sequence where you're walking Liberty Prime over to Project Purity is loving awesome and a great capstone on everything that happens after meeting your dad. Then you go into the chamber and OH NO you have to do this RIGHT STAT NOW.

Fawkes, I thought you were my bro, what the gently caress is this bullshit about my destiny being to die on the floor like a bitch?

I even have the GOTY edition which I thought solved some of these problems but I couldn't figure out a way to make either of my companions actually do it. What a lovely, stupid ending. I didn't go out of my way at all to get Fawkes to join me, you run into him on the main quest literally two or three steps before the finale so it would be almost weird NOT to have him along.

gently caress Bethesda's writing team.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Todd Howard posted:

We know we sacrificed some great storytelling [in Fallout 3 by allowing] the player to do whatever they want

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I actually really like Bethesda games by nature of almost never beating the main quest but pretty much every time Todd Howard opens his mouth I wonder why anybody lets him near a microphone.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

But that's the best part of the games themselves you gently caress god damnit

I'm not going to pre-emptively say that their attempt to give the protagonist in Fallout 4 a voice and personality is going to drag that game down, but I'm not optimistic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

itll probably be fine

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It will be good with qualifiers, just like every other bethesda game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lord Lambeth posted:

It will be good with mods, just like every other bethesda game.

ftfy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LoonShia posted:

It will be good with mods, just like every other bethesda game.

Empty quote forever, close thread

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Pretty much that though. Not like you got a ton of choice in 3 either and the thing that will most likely drag the game down the most will be who made it. I'm hearing so much conflicting poo poo but it's probably a good idea to wait for release and then another month to pick it up. Just like any Bethesda game and if it's poo poo then I can wait for a cheap GOTY.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

No seriously how am I supposed to pass this poo poo off to another person and do the GOTY poo poo? This blows.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PubicMice posted:

I don't have a New 3DS, but I honestly can't see it being that much different from the touchscreen pad.

Its honestly not, its just for whatever reason most people never use the touchscreen pad. Which is silly because its super loving useful.

In 3U you didn't really have an option, in underwater battles you had to git gud with the touchpad. But in 4 those are gone again so most people just use spam the lock-on button and get by that way.

The c-stick is super nice but I'm still livid that Nintendo couldn't include a second proper control stick. I don't care if you have to make the N3DS like 50% fatter, give me another stick!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ryoshi posted:

So I'm seven years late to this one but holy hot drat the last five minutes of Fallout 3 are about as dumb as they could possibly be.

The game ramps up really well until that point, too, which makes it a real shame. The final sequence where you're walking Liberty Prime over to Project Purity is loving awesome and a great capstone on everything that happens after meeting your dad. Then you go into the chamber and OH NO you have to do this RIGHT STAT NOW.

Fawkes, I thought you were my bro, what the gently caress is this bullshit about my destiny being to die on the floor like a bitch?

I even have the GOTY edition which I thought solved some of these problems but I couldn't figure out a way to make either of my companions actually do it. What a lovely, stupid ending. I didn't go out of my way at all to get Fawkes to join me, you run into him on the main quest literally two or three steps before the finale so it would be almost weird NOT to have him along.

gently caress Bethesda's writing team.

With the Broken Steel DLC you should have been able to talk to Fawkes or Charon and get a conversational option to tell them to do it. They still give you poo poo for it which is terrible writing because neither of them are harmed by radiation, but the option should have been there. Were you using a mod to have multiple companions, maybe that was somehow messing it up? I played it on the 360 and the option was there for me with BS installed.

gently caress, even without radiation proof companions by that point in FO3 I had enough radiation resistant gear and drugs to retire to chernobyl without any ill effects. And there is an obvious easy fix for it too; Just dont have the danger be radiation. Have the water purifier run incredibly hot (or super cold) or something when it starts up, and you now have a reason for your companions to balk at the request, none of them are immune to extreme termperatures. I assume its because they always planned post-game DLC and figured "surviving supposedly lethal radiation" was more plausable than suriving a massive fire wihout any burns. Still lovely writing though, and I say that as someone who really loved fallout 3.

Edit:

Ryoshi posted:

No seriously how am I supposed to pass this poo poo off to another person and do the GOTY poo poo? This blows.

Silly question, but you definately did install the DLC from the game of the year edition? All of the DLC should be available before the post-game aside from Broken Steel. You should have radio signals on your pip boy that lead you to the start points for the Pitt, Operation Anchorage, Mothership Zeta (which is by the way terrible) and I think Point Lookout (which is intended as post lvl-20 content, but you dont have ot have finished the story).

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Jun 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sleeveless posted:

:wtc:

Seriously what in the flying gently caress did I just watch.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

SiKboy posted:

I assume its because they always planned post-game DLC and figured "surviving supposedly lethal radiation" was more plausable than suriving a massive fire wihout any burns.

They mentioned a bunch of times in pre-release interviews that once the game was over it was over. I think Broken Steel was made due to fan backlash.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Zaphod42 posted:

:wtc:

Seriously what in the flying gently caress did I just watch.

I got the impression from context of people talking about it that D4 was good? But this thing I saw was bad. It was real bad. I have a hard time believing anything that preceded this could possibly not also be bad?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I assume its because they always planned post-game DLC and figured "surviving supposedly lethal radiation" was more plausable than suriving a massive fire wihout any burns. Still lovely writing though, and I say that as someone who really loved fallout 3.

How survivable is that compared to a bullet to the head? :cheeky:

(Yeah, I know, New Vegas wasn't done by Bethesda)

Krinkle posted:

I got the impression from context of people talking about it that D4 was good? But this thing I saw was bad. It was real bad. I have a hard time believing anything that preceded this could possibly not also be bad?

Yeah that was the weirdest loving anime videogame thing I've seen in awhile. I guess for some goons that's cool but uh... yeah I dunno.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Amorphous Blob posted:

They mentioned a bunch of times in pre-release interviews that once the game was over it was over. I think Broken Steel was made due to fan backlash.

Call me a cynic, but I'm more inclined to believe that they added the "Fawkes, do this becaues it wont kill you" option due to backlash but that broken steel was always planned in one form of another as longas the game and its other DLC sold well. If I was releasing a game with hazily planned postgame DLC I'd also claim that the end of the game was the end because then I dont have to deal with people complaining that they were being sold an "unfinished story" or whatever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TDTGD: There's no Broken Steel equivalent for New Vegas that lets you play in the Mojave after the Battle at the Dam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Krinkle posted:

It's a B-movie quality cult-hit director's pet project that gets sequels as long people keep buying it. If you liked Deadly Premonition then you'll love D4