Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

outlier posted:

Post Serial, I though I could listen to some more true crime, so gave Criminal a go.

Honestly not feeling it. I appreciate they've gone for broad remit, not everything has to be a big dramatic case, and so they do smaller stories. But a "romance scam" that the victim doesn't fall for long before any scam element is even raised?

Yeah, I'm not too sold on the format myself but I did appreciate the medical pathologist telling a story about an alcoholic staving off hypothermia for months by drinking anti freeze. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've listened to the Nixon episode of the 10 Presidents podcast. I really liked it, some here hated the audio cut-ins. Letting the people of the era speak for themselves using actual historical recordings is something that brings the events closer. I doubt the Washington episode that Mike Duncan is going to present will have the same feel to it. Having Presidents in the audio/video era changes the entire dynamic to the episodes.

Edit: Derp, Mike Ducan is doing Theodore and Franklin D Roosevelt not Washington.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 10, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Props to whoever initially recommended Dollop cuz it's my new fave right now (and with my attention span I'm always looking for a new podcast to affix to while new eps of the existing ones I'm down with come out). It's funny too because I generally loathe podcasts hosted by standup comedians (especially considering none of these "pro comedian" podcasts are ever as funny as say, UYD imo), never liked Walking the Room, Maron, etc. and don't find Dave or Gary remotely funny outside of the Dollop. It's just a perfect storm of awesome for me I guess.

It's a nice sort of historical counterpoint in terms of vibes compared to Dan Carlin and Mike Duncan, obviously just full comedy and often their dumb opinions (though generally Dave and Gary have their hearts in the right places sooo), but poo poo Dan Carlin never tried to teach me about Rube Waddell or Clifford Clinton and I consider that a major deficiency considering they're my new heroes. :colbert:
It's a refreshing change of pace for me when I'm not trying to use a loving ear trumpet to listen to old whispered History of Rome episodes or waiting for Brian Dunning to use his reptilian GMO 911 falseflag homeopathic smugdouche powers to break out of jail (FREE DUNNING).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The latest Dollop though about the Omaha riots was just loving dire. By the second half you could feel Dave and Gary just struggling to find something to laugh about and coming up empty.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gonna guess this Dollop about a water park goes really bad really fast.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, but I'll never really get tired of Gary getting increasingly horrified by how things are unfolding, although there was less opportunity for chuckles with race riots for sure (though at the same time like, the Thanksgiving ep was full of horror and it's one of my comedy faves)...I think that's the key to why I like the Dollop, actually, it's a fun perfect format, Dave unfolding a historical trap full of some sort of horror or stupidity for "DURRR ME NOT KNOW ANYTHING" Gary. :downs:

Rodyle posted:

Gonna guess this Dollop about a water park goes really bad really fast.
Cuz it's Aaaaction Park!
Wish I could've gotten shitfaced as a teen there :(

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 10, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Jeff Rubin show on Action Park was great, you're saying there's a Dollop about Action Park too?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Antti posted:

The Jeff Rubin show on Action Park was great, you're saying there's a Dollop about Action Park too?

Yeah it came out today

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I think that's the key to why I like the Dollop, actually, it's a fun perfect format, Dave unfolding a historical trap full of some sort of horror or stupidity for "DURRR ME NOT KNOW ANYTHING" Gary. :downs:

If that's the case please listen to the Cereal Men episode right now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Cuz it's Aaaaction Park!
Wish I could've gotten shitfaced as a teen there :(

As a kid nowhere near New Jersey when Action Park was still open, Action Park was the mythical ultimate theme park where you got to do what you want. As an adult, I'm glad I never got an opportunity to go.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Rhesus Pieces posted:

If that's the case please listen to the Cereal Men episode right now.

Gary's pure anguish is part of a complete breakfast.

Gareth in The Cereal Men at 1:19:38 posted:

No, no! It's...loving Kellog? Shut the gently caress up. Shut the gently caress up. Tony the loving Tiger's in cahoots? Snap, crackle, loving pop?

Gareth in The Cereal Men at 1:28:36 posted:

No! NO! You motherfucker!

I mean this is loving- Are you loving me- Are you kidding me, Dave? Are you seriously...how the gently caress does nobody know this poo poo?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Does anyone know what episode has the "Oueen poo poo of Liesville" bit? I know it won't be nearly as funny in context, but I'd still like to know.

I just listened to the Thomas Kinkade, and it's amazing the turn the episode takes once he becomes one of the craziest alcoholics that I've heard of. I also listened to the history of pools episode, which I didn't like as much because they kept using the same joke of a gay guy wanting to see naked boys.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gann Jerrod posted:

Does anyone know what episode has the "Oueen poo poo of Liesville" bit? I know it won't be nearly as funny in context, but I'd still like to know.

I just listened to the Thomas Kinkade, and it's amazing the turn the episode takes once he becomes one of the craziest alcoholics that I've heard of. I also listened to the history of pools episode, which I didn't like as much because they kept using the same joke of a gay guy wanting to see naked boys.

It's the ghost episode iirc.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Gann Jerrod posted:

uPen posted:

It's the ghost episode iirc.

Yup, it's the Ghosts episode. It's definitely worth listening to. Do it, or Popobawa will get you.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It's also the source of "People say this is funny?" and "Someone or something is tickling people."

Solid episode.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can't find the Cereal Men episode in the feed. When did it come out?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The clip in the intro where Dave's son calls Gareth "Gary" is right at the end of Ten Cent Beer Night.

Also, please listen to Ten Cent Beer Night.

Edit:

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

It's episode 46.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Episode 46, Jan 3, 2015. "Live w/ Patton Oswalt - The Cereal Men"

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Thanks! The end of the title was getting cut off.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
The Dollop is great, but I'm starting to feel like it's a little repetitive.

Dave: "...And then they did this stupid thing."

Gary: "Jesus Christ. I mean, what the gently caress!? These people are idiots."

Dave: "And then in 1949..."

Gann Jerrod posted:

I also listened to the history of pools episode, which I didn't like as much because they kept using the same joke of a gay guy wanting to see naked boys.

This episode really annoyed me. 90% of the episode is just them talking about how absurd it is that boys were swimming around naked. Is it that weird that cultural norms on nudity were different back then? It's not any different than locker rooms are right now.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Also, please listen to Ten Cent Beer Night.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:lol: I feel bad about laughing so hard about the Ugly Laws episode. The Monkey Boy impression!

“Sooo, Alexander Graham Bell was cool.”
“Well, yeah. Throw him in the pile of assholes.”

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 12, 2015

head58
Apr 1, 2013

You guys know there is an actual Dollop thread, right?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

head58 posted:

You guys know there is an actual Dollop thread, right?

I do now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I didn't know that either, and for those who were as ignorant as I, a link.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Just listened to a recent "How Stuff Works". It was weird to hear income tax described as this strange and mysterious thing, with the hosts being openly derisive and cynical about it.

But then, I'm Australian, and there may be a fundamental worldview difference here.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Can anyone recommend any UFO/Forteana/Weird poo poo podcasts? The batshit loonier the better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

outlier posted:

Just listened to a recent "How Stuff Works". It was weird to hear income tax described as this strange and mysterious thing, with the hosts being openly derisive and cynical about it.

But then, I'm Australian, and there may be a fundamental worldview difference here.

Americans take some sort of weird pride in refusing to understand income taxes. Like to the point where there are people who will turn down raises because they think they'll lose money to the IRS if they take them. Merica is a hell of a drug.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

head58 posted:

Can anyone recommend any UFO/Forteana/Weird poo poo podcasts? The batshit loonier the better.

Blame It On Outer Space presents info on various Weird poo poo in a humor-laden manner: http://www.blameitonouterspace.com/

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

head58 posted:

Stuff They Don't Want You To Know is cool but perhaps not wingnut enough for you - they actually have sensible takes on the weird.

An old-style thing that might interest is Tales of the Afternow, which was a podcast / serial Internet drama before there were such things. It's a strange SF story about a dystopian future that bleeds over into the authors obsession with survivalist and dissident culture, which might be partly a parody, it's not clear.

The Fortean Times really needs to start doing a podcast.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

head58 posted:

Last Podcast on the Left does a lot of UFO and similar. I can't quite tell how much of the taking weird poo poo at face value is for comic effect and how much is real.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I've gone back into Dan Carlin's archive and started listening to some of his early material, and man his presentation style has changed hugely over the years. In the first few HH episodes he really does sound like a ranting Alex Jones-style talkback host. I'm glad his style improves in later years as I'm not sure I'd stick with it if I were starting from scratch. Not as rough as Mike Duncan's early episodes though!

Also - it takes until 7 minutes into his second ever show before his first boxing analogy appears :laugh:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh god, Dan why'd you waste your breath talking to that racist Sam Harris, he's an extremely ill-informed bigot who spends most of his talks self-justifying how he's not a racist. holy poo poo what a waste of an episode.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Oh hey, Mike Duncan's George Washington episode of 10 American Presidents is up! Clocks in at 2 hours 20 minutes, so should be fairly meaty!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

webmeister posted:

Oh hey, Mike Duncan's George Washington episode of 10 American Presidents is up! Clocks in at 2 hours 20 minutes, so should be fairly meaty!

At this rate they'll finish this 10 episode podcast in early 2019.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh god, Dan why'd you waste your breath talking to that racist Sam Harris, he's an extremely ill-informed bigot who spends most of his talks self-justifying how he's not a racist. holy poo poo what a waste of an episode.

Dan Carlin ...... is an idiot?

:eyepop:

My impression of Hardcore History is just him bringing on an endless procession of discredited far-right nuts, nodding the whole time and then saying "maybe the truth ...... is in the middle???" at the end

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 29, 2015

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Dan Carlin ...... is an idiot?

:eyepop:

My impression of Hardcore History is just him bringing on an endless procession of discredited far-right nuts, nodding the whole time and then saying "maybe the truth ...... is in the middle???" at the end
Yeah, basically, he's your quintessential libertarian dork on the internet, but usually it's subtle or only occasional so it rarely completely detracts from Hardcore History (I was one of the guys complaining about him going "Maybe Woodrow Wilson was...EVIL AND DUPLICITOUS...A SMALL FRINGE OF HISTORIANS BELIEVE THIS, I will present it as a potentially equal POV...") but I get the sense that Common Sense is basically entirely that which is why I pretty much avoid it.
And also why I've only skimmed the Nixon ep of American Presidents, I can only imagine there's plenty of "BUT WAS HE REAAAALLY SO BAD". Mostly it's the sound clips and being busy though.

On the plus side, yay Mike Duncan Washington ep, I'm all over it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Wilson really was a huge racist dick though. Fucker rolled back decades of slow desegregation in the executive branch when he took office ya know.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maybe there is some episode about Wilson that I'm missing, but in the most recent WW1 shows his message seemed to be that Wilson was a huge douchebag, but not overtly evil. He specifically runs down why the various "Wilson was an evil warhawk" stances were dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
not sure Mike totally got the hang of these sound effects/soundtrack/voice clip stuff on the American Presidents ep, some of it is kind of distracting or boring or lowered quality. Like I swear at some point it feels like he just plays a generic repeated musketshot effect for like two minutes and it's like okay I get it, is this an intermission?
Cool ep though.