Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Has anyone else experienced the DX11 client blacking out your monitor(s) and then sending the client to the background, which will crash after a few seconds? It happens about two or three times per day and is pretty annoying. I have to go back to DX9 to prevent this from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Minrad posted:

To piggyback this question, is there a good guide to 50 crafting? I leveled everything early in 2.0 and never touched it since I took a break after Twintania and the AK grind burned me out pretty hard, and now a year later I look at the five thousand crafting abilities on top of the new systems in HW and :psyduck:

Generally the jist of it is

Get as many stacks of inner quiet as you can using hast touch + regenning Durability
Keep enough CP to do the following: Ingenuity (I or II) Great strides Steady hand Byregots blessing (+Innovation), takes about 120ish IIRC of the top of my head, then have enough room left to finish the craft with careful synth 2

For really hard stuff you can start weaving in Piece by piece/Rapid synthesis at the start

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Stormgale posted:

Generally the jist of it is

Get as many stacks of inner quiet as you can using hast touch + regenning Durability
Keep enough CP to do the following: Ingenuity (I or II) Great strides Steady hand Byregots blessing (+Innovation), takes about 120ish IIRC of the top of my head, then have enough room left to finish the craft with careful synth 2

For really hard stuff you can start weaving in Piece by piece/Rapid synthesis at the start

Cool. Any recommendations for 'best' crafter to start with? I remember Alchemist and Goldsmith both managed to feel fairly independent of other jobs for a lot of items, if you wanted to be self-sufficient. For now I am intrigued by the idea of farting around and waiting on unspoiled node collectables to slowly level botanist and miner.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Minrad posted:

Cool. Any recommendations for 'best' crafter to start with? I remember Alchemist and Goldsmith both managed to feel fairly independent of other jobs for a lot of items, if you wanted to be self-sufficient. For now I am intrigued by the idea of farting around and waiting on unspoiled node collectables to slowly level botanist and miner.

Do you mean start at 50 or as in start from 0?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Man, Tataru's Japanese voice sure is something else, especially compared to the Xenoblade girl one that we have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv1inixynCo

Also I beat the game for the third time yesterday. :toot: Watched the credits every time too. Everything was pretty much rad except the sidequest design is a bit weak in both variety and the way they pad them with long distances and large areas to look things from. I don't need constant gimmick quests or anything but some change of pace from "kill enemies/collect items from area/talk to person" every now and then would've been nice.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Stormgale posted:

Do you mean start at 50 or as in start from 0?

Start at 50, yeah, sorry.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Note that the GC turn-ins are still good EXP that are fairly easy to accomplish even for, say, a level 50 2-star crafter. Of course, there is the daily limit, but I've started turning them in while leveling my second combat class via roulettes and it's fairly steady progress. You get a -lot- of GC seals this way, too, for purchasing ventures/exp scrolls/materials for your airship/whatever.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Did you know you can be Harry Potter with the Sharlayan Preceptor's Hat? I didn't.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MohShuvuu posted:

Has anyone else experienced the DX11 client blacking out your monitor(s) and then sending the client to the background, which will crash after a few seconds? It happens about two or three times per day and is pretty annoying. I have to go back to DX9 to prevent this from happening.

Yes this happens to me. If you're doing any overclocking you may hit this issue. I rolled back my drivers (Nvidia 347.88) and still hit the driver reset. I turned off my overclock which I thought was rock solid (in other games no less) and was able to play the majority of the day without issue.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008
My biggest issue with crafting in this game is how it's pretty much impossible to be decent at it without getting a near literal shopping list of cross-class skills. Abilities like Hasty Touch, Ingenuity and Tricks of the Trade (and likely a whole bunch more some master crafter type will be sure to remind me of) seem complete must-haves and are scattered about the professions like mad even if you only have interest in a select few professions.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gearhead posted:

The one I'm wondering about is what the hell Primal is Onyx Carbuncle a counterpart to?

Bahamut-egi?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

Man, Tataru's Japanese voice sure is something else, especially compared to the Xenoblade girl one that we have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv1inixynCo

Also I beat the game for the third time yesterday. :toot: Watched the credits every time too. Everything was pretty much rad except the sidequest design is a bit weak in both variety and the way they pad them with long distances and large areas to look things from. I don't need constant gimmick quests or anything but some change of pace from "kill enemies/collect items from area/talk to person" every now and then would've been nice.

We are still playing an MMO, to be fair

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Calihan posted:

My biggest issue with crafting in this game is how it's pretty much impossible to be decent at it without getting a near literal shopping list of cross-class skills. Abilities like Hasty Touch, Ingenuity and Tricks of the Trade (and likely a whole bunch more some master crafter type will be sure to remind me of) seem complete must-haves and are scattered about the professions like mad even if you only have interest in a select few professions.

Crafting speeds up exponentially the more 50s you get. I went from 30-50 on my last two DoH classes in an afternoon. All said it took me about a month of being lazy about it to become an omnicrafter

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

Not really an excuse for lovely "go there, and back again 37 loving times" quests though (hi, forelands/mogs). Guild Wars 2 did the right thing, sidequests there don't make you talk to an idiot on the other side of the map every time you do something.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy

MohShuvuu posted:

Mine was doing this until I turned on true full screen instead of windowed.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I actually enjoyed the moogle quests because:

1) I love moogles

2) Everyone was bitching and moaning about them and I'm a contrarian hipster rear end in a top hat

3) Everyone was bitching and moaning about them and I expected they'd be much worse so it went faster for me than I expected

4) XIV moogles are basically beings of pure, unapologetic ADD and I can relate to and respect that

5) gently caress you scouring an area for a Moogle masterpiece only to find out it's a goddamned poorly painted pebble is hilarious

6) Seriously have some of you not been playing video games for decades? How can you not look at a game map by now and realize that the easiest looking path probably doesn't work and that you need to actually read the map and notice that different elevations are shaded and you can see most ramps and such? This is still a video game, and finding your way through an area is a challenge. loving :gitgud:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Boten Anna posted:

1) I love moogles

2) Everyone was bitching and moaning about them and I'm a contrarian hipster rear end in a top hat

3) Everyone was bitching and moaning about them and I expected they'd be much worse so it went faster for me than I expected

4) XIV moogles are basically beings of pure, unapologetic ADD and I can relate to and respect that

5) gently caress you scouring an area for a Moogle masterpiece only to find out it's a goddamned poorly painted pebble is hilarious

6) Seriously have some of you not been playing video games for decades? How can you not look at a game map by now and realize that the easiest looking path probably doesn't work and that you need to actually read the map and notice that different elevations are shaded and you can see most ramps and such? This is still a video game, and finding your way through an area is a challenge. loving :gitgud:

This. I seriously had no problem with any of the moogle quests, but then again I like hunts and enjoy the play style of paladin so I might be brain damaged.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Robo Reagan posted:

Even WoW mixed it up a bit already back in 2007 with The Burning Crusade with some different sidequest design like bombing missions and whatnot, in 2015 being an MMO isn't really an excuse not to be more creative with quest design. And there's definitely a lot of noticeable padding in HW sidequests, moreso than there was in the base game.

Boten Anna posted:

1) I love moogles

I never had a big issue with the moogle quests since you can fly for most of them and moogles are great. That said that one quest where you have to clear out bird nests in Zenith and the moogle specifically tells you the birds make their nests up high, only for it to turn out that the one remaining nest I looked for for half an hour was actually on the ground was a gigantic dick move. :colbert:

The Forelands make you run to the random hunter camps a lot and usually you have to take the long way around because of the cliffs, and the Hinterlands divide the whole place in two and make you run back and forth a ton in addition to gating flying to lvl 59 really soon after the lvl 58 gate. Those are more the kind of things I mean.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kanfy posted:

Even WoW mixed it up a bit already back in 2007 with The Burning Crusade with some different sidequest design like bombing missions and whatnot, in 2015 being an MMO isn't really an excuse not to be more creative with quest design. And there's definitely a lot of noticeable padding in HW sidequests, moreso than there was in the base game.

I dunno, I guess I'm fine with kill x, collect x quests. The bombing quest always bored me because it was a few minutes where I had to pay attention to the gimmick instead of watch Netflix. :v:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I downloaded the password token app and on my iPhone screen it says "SQEX TOKEN" which confused me cause I was wondering what this sex token app was.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

The Forelands make you run to the random hunter camps a lot and usually you have to take the long way around because of the cliffs, and the Hinterlands divide the whole place in two and make you run back and forth a ton in addition to gating flying to lvl 59. Those are more the kind of things I mean.

Yep. Spending 20 minutes autorunning between NPC A and NPC B repeatedly isn't fun for most people. Everything is really cool, but simply placing two NPCs 3-5 minutes of running apart, and then having the quest literally be "go talk to guy a, then b, 5-6 times, maybe also kill a guy once", is 90s as gently caress, and doesn't belong in a 2015 MMO expansion IMO.

It's dumb, because everything else about this game is insanely good, but this is the exact same thing that made my friend ragequit (the lovely "run between a and b" part of titan prequests). They can do way better, so why do they do this instead I have no idea.

Of course, the good part about the expansion is, all this is optional. I didn't notice any glaring filler like the titan bullshit in MSQ this time, so that's good. If someone doesn't like the sidequests, they can just gently caress off back to grinding dungeons like the drones they are. :v:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Also making long sidequest chains that don't give you any kind of reward in the end is a terrible thing to do as well. :colbert:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

1) I love moogles

I am about half way through the moogles and they are still amazing. The side quests are samey but about as samey as every other side quest in the game.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It really feels like the Forelands were designed when they concieved of you having access to the flying mount right from the jump, later areas feel a lot more logically gated (the two halves of the Hinterlands, the four quadrants of Azys Lla)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
A lot of the quests are really dull, but I think that they really feel bad because 35k towards 2.5 million or whatever can feel like a paltry reward for bouncing all over the map. I kind of think they could have had biggef rewards on average, then they could have cut some of the more pointless quests so they could maintain the experience gaps they wanted. They didn't bother me personally too much, because I'm only going to have to do them once ever, if this game had regular alts Ala wow or something I'd probably be turned off from playing any.

Also maybe I'm a real idiot and i missed it but I don't think they give you a bracelet upgrade throughout the entire leveling process.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

In each zone I found if you focus on trying to get flying before hamming through the side quests you have a much better experience. There's enough quests and other stuff to carry you though level caps in the next zone.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

RC Cola posted:

Any goons in midgardsormr?

Hey, there are like, five or six of us here. I'm Syou Toramaru in game. Look for Rasenore Hunt as well.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

It's quite a wide-spread problem and seems to be happening on both Radeon and Nvidia cards. Sadly, there does not seem to be any known fix other than using Dx9 for now.

Forward_Bee
May 31, 2011

I have no idea.
Lvl 59 WHM here, about to hit 60 and finish up class quests. I won't give away any spoilers, but I feel safe in saying that I have the cleanest taint in all of Eorzea.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Forward_Bee posted:

Lvl 59 WHM here, about to hit 60 and finish up class quests. I won't give away any spoilers, but I feel safe in saying that I have the cleanest taint in all of Eorzea.

The Tale of the White Mage, Part 2: The Padjal and the Sacred Bidet

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
PSA for anyone looking to roll on Excalibur: All servers are going down tonight for maintenance, so you'll have a good chance to get in when they come back up. This is one of the few times you're guaranteed to not have to contend with all the idlers, so set an alarm or something.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

If my crafters are all wearing AF and one-star gear without melds, will I be able to start leveling them up? I've heard level 51 crafts are brutal.

A couple of my crafters are unmelded due to me having given up before Artisan's was added (although they all shared melded jewelry), and I found it only a little bit harder to get over the 50 hump than my melded classes. It's a lot more comforting knowing that the max reward for collectibles only needs about half of the quality bar filled to get.

Once you hit 51, though, things become so much easier to make and turn in.

Wonder Turbine posted:

What'd I miss? Oh yeah, Fishing. Use Collect, cast your line, and pray.

FSH was the second class I got to 60 after doing the MSQ on WAR, and I have to say it's my preferred way of getting scrips. Once you're able to turn in Warmwater Bichirs, it's only a matter of going out to Smouldering Wastes at 10pm, popping Patience, and then using Powerful Hookset every time you get a large pull. Otherwise, just use your normal Hook and if you get a Blueclaw, mooch off of it and that'll guarantee you a Bichir. After your Patience wears off pop a Cordial (you did have a stack saved up from leveling your other gathering classes to 50 off of leves, right?), wait for the rest of your GP to fill, and do it all over again until 4am.

Did that until 58/59 when I could start turning in Illuminati Perches, which are available all day and give a base of 40 scrips per turn in. The only real walls I've run into are early max level goldsmiths selling the crafted lures for like 200k a pop, but I just sidestepped that by bursting my GSM to the point where I can just Piece by Piece them myself.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Calihan posted:

It's quite a wide-spread problem and seems to be happening on both Radeon and Nvidia cards. Sadly, there does not seem to be any known fix other than using Dx9 for now.

I'm using an ancient set of cards (2x radeon 6970s) and getting absolutely no crashes, contrary to the dx9 client, where I had about a crash a week. Are the people getting crashes on newer or older cards? I was going to upgrade to a 980ti because maxing everything makes dx11 run like poo poo with my current gpus, but now I'm not sure :ohdear:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Moldy Taxes posted:

A couple of my crafters are unmelded due to me having given up before Artisan's was added (although they all shared melded jewelry), and I found it only a little bit harder to get over the 50 hump than my melded classes. It's a lot more comforting knowing that the max reward for collectibles only needs about half of the quality bar filled to get.

The economy is just starting to stabilize a little bit, with enough gatherers throwing unspoiled mats into the market that actually making the level 51 crafter gear isn't hellaciously expensive. If you have the gil for it, getting HQ gear at each stage (first set at 51, second at 53) has tremendous quality of life benefits, but it's also possible to half-rear end it and just abuse turn-ins for everything until you can hit 53, where getting a gearset is a dramatic upgrade.

The skill you get at 53 is also the loving best :allears:. Once you can scrape your way to 53, you can pick up a piece of NQ gear from the class quest and the NQ mainhand and bootstrap the rest of the way from there without too much trouble.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moldy Taxes posted:

FSH was the second class I got to 60 after doing the MSQ on WAR, and I have to say it's my preferred way of getting scrips. Once you're able to turn in Warmwater Bichirs, it's only a matter of going out to Smouldering Wastes at 10pm, popping Patience, and then using Powerful Hookset every time you get a large pull. Otherwise, just use your normal Hook and if you get a Blueclaw, mooch off of it and that'll guarantee you a Bichir. After your Patience wears off pop a Cordial (you did have a stack saved up from leveling your other gathering classes to 50 off of leves, right?), wait for the rest of your GP to fill, and do it all over again until 4am.

Did that until 58/59 when I could start turning in Illuminati Perches, which are available all day and give a base of 40 scrips per turn in. The only real walls I've run into are early max level goldsmiths selling the crafted lures for like 200k a pop, but I just sidestepped that by bursting my GSM to the point where I can just Piece by Piece them myself.

FSH is going to be my next class from 50-60. Any tips on where to start fishing?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Truga posted:

I'm using an ancient set of cards (2x radeon 6970s) and getting absolutely no crashes, contrary to the dx9 client, where I had about a crash a week. Are the people getting crashes on newer or older cards? I was going to upgrade to a 980ti because maxing everything makes dx11 run like poo poo with my current gpus, but now I'm not sure :ohdear:

I'm on a 970 and, other than one instance where my display drivers crashed the other day, it only ever crashes when I exit the game.
On the other hand, it always crashes when I exit the game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Klades posted:

I'm on a 970 and, other than one instance where my display drivers crashed the other day, it only ever crashes when I exit the game.
On the other hand, it always crashes when I exit the game.

Yeah I get this too, I just kind of assumed it was a Windows 8 thing. I've never had any problems come up from it. e: using a 670 until MY 970 ARRIVES THIS WEEK :toot:

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 29, 2015

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Truga posted:

Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. I use an Radeon R9 285 but my friend uses the exact same card and has no issue.

Considering I am seeing reports of the exact same problem on different cards, even from both Radeon and Nvidia, I am guessing it is related to something else entirely. It doesn't seem like anyone has a real solution either.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh dear. So it's like the thing with dungeon entrance/boss walls on the dx9 client then. :v:

I guess I'll wait a bit and see, I'm still waiting for a week or two before buying anyway due to real life reasons. If it's just crashing on exit that's not an issue for me at all (as long as it doesn't lose settings).

e: I'm honestly surprised this working this well this early, especially in my case (crossfire can often poo poo all over a new game). I'm still getting a giant boost (near 100%) from my second card, and all the issues I had with the dx9 client are gone.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BERGfu posted:

In each zone I found if you focus on trying to get flying before hamming through the side quests you have a much better experience. There's enough quests and other stuff to carry you though level caps in the next zone.

The problem with unlocking flying is that 1) It's not available to you when you're first hitting the zone (when the side quests are most useful) and 2) It takes a good chunk of time to do. The time thing is solved by sucking it up, but if you're on for like 1-2 hours and still trying to hit 60, the last thing you want to do is spend an hour finding all the aether currents and side quests that unlock them. Not that I think how they've handled unlocking flying is horrible by any means, it's just so painfully obvious the zones were designed with it in mind and trying to do anything in them before you have it feels like you're wasting your time.

Contest Winner posted:

A lot of the quests are really dull, but I think that they really feel bad because 35k towards 2.5 million or whatever can feel like a paltry reward for bouncing all over the map. I kind of think they could have had biggef rewards on average, then they could have cut some of the more pointless quests so they could maintain the experience gaps they wanted. They didn't bother me personally too much, because I'm only going to have to do them once ever, if this game had regular alts Ala wow or something I'd probably be turned off from playing any.

Also maybe I'm a real idiot and i missed it but I don't think they give you a bracelet upgrade throughout the entire leveling process.
This is the biggest part for me, 40k for a quest at 58 isn't all that tempting. The best way to do them is to grab as many as you can at a time so you can do 5-6 in one area, then go turn in for 200k or so. A dungeon run is probably about the same XP/hour wise if your'e grouping side quests efficiently.

I don't think there's a bracelet from a quest, but if you manage to get to 50 without one of the dungeons throwing something that at least beats out Aug. Ironworks I don't know how you managed. The dungeons vomit accessory pieces.

• Locked thread