Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

VDay posted:

Nice! Am I understanding the league wars mechanic correctly in that you have to be part of the HRE to take part in the war? How'd you go about that as Sweden, just take some of Denmark's lands and then join up? Thinking about going for the Sweden achievements once the patch comes out for realsies.

You don't need to be a member in the HRE to join League wars or get that achievement. In fact, outside nations picking sides is where most of the carnage comes from as you're likely to have most of the major European nations involved. Often the Ottomans and Muscovy/Russia too.

However you can totally join the HRE as Sweden, just take Blekinge from Denmark in addition to your independence when you break loose. You need to butter up the Emperor a lot and probably release Finland to go under 100 development, any bigger and you're too large to join. Finland is a good little bro vassal and you can fight Novgorod for their cores back before you integrate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pellisworth posted:

You don't need to be a member in the HRE to join League wars or get that achievement. In fact, outside nations picking sides is where most of the carnage comes from as you're likely to have most of the major European nations involved. Often the Ottomans and Muscovy/Russia too.

However you can totally join the HRE as Sweden, just take Blekinge from Denmark in addition to your independence when you break loose. You need to butter up the Emperor a lot and probably release Finland to go under 100 development, any bigger and you're too large to join. Finland is a good little bro vassal and you can fight Novgorod for their cores back before you integrate them.

You've got to feed like 2/3rds of Sweden to Finland first, then re-annex vassal Finland later. At least that's the way it used to be, dunno if they've made it easier to join the HRE in the 4 months or so since I did "Sweden is Not Overpowered."

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

You've got to feed like 2/3rds of Sweden to Finland first, then re-annex vassal Finland later. At least that's the way it used to be, dunno if they've made it easier to join the HRE in the 4 months or so since I did "Sweden is Not Overpowered."

It is easier to join than before CS, yes.

Edit: specifically-

Before, you needed to be under 50 base tax (same culture group as Emperor, so usually Germanic) or 25 as an outsider culture. Your vassal basetax x vassal income efficiency counts towards that total. That meant previously you had to sell a handful of provinces to Finland in addition to releasing them and you were getting close to having them similar size to you and a little rebellious.

Now, you just need less than 100 development, I don't think there's any difference for culture. Sweden starts with 102 plus Blekinge for the HRE border, so you only need to release Finland or you could even just sell a couple of crap provinces since you only need to dump like 10 development to join the HRE.

As another example, Denmark can join no problem too. Their PUs don't count towards the development to join and they're under 100 at the start.

The immediate benefits to joining the Empire (Imperial Integrity was the shiniest) aren't as good as before CS but I think it's still a good idea as Sweden or anyone else for whom it's not super painful.

Other HRE candidates: Bosnia, Serbia, Albania would just need a province adjacent to join. Provence probably can and should hop in right away. TO and LO. The Papal State. Venice can join by selling a couple provinces to vassals and giving Brescia back to Milan. Byzantium if you managed to take Dalmatia off Venice or something.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 29, 2015

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
If Denmark joins the HRE does that mean the emperor will be called into any independence wars?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DeeEmTee posted:

If Denmark joins the HRE does that mean the emperor will be called into any independence wars?

I dunno for sure, but Sweden will almost always declare in the first couple of years and you need really good relations with Austria (alliance, marriage) to join. So you're almost certainly getting Austria in Sweden's independence war, but I dunno if it would call the emperor in otherwise.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I love it when the Teutonic Order gets split up by Poland and Brandenburg but neither can afford or want to take Danzig, so they release it as a free OPM. Why hello diplo-annexation and free westernization with no hassle :)

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Pellisworth posted:

It is easier to join than before CS, yes.

Edit: specifically-

Before, you needed to be under 50 base tax (same culture group as Emperor, so usually Germanic) or 25 as an outsider culture. Your vassal basetax x vassal income efficiency counts towards that total. That meant previously you had to sell a handful of provinces to Finland in addition to releasing them and you were getting close to having them similar size to you and a little rebellious.

Now, you just need less than 100 development, I don't think there's any difference for culture. Sweden starts with 102 plus Blekinge for the HRE border, so you only need to release Finland or you could even just sell a couple of crap provinces since you only need to dump like 10 development to join the HRE.

As another example, Denmark can join no problem too. Their PUs don't count towards the development to join and they're under 100 at the start.

The immediate benefits to joining the Empire (Imperial Integrity was the shiniest) aren't as good as before CS but I think it's still a good idea as Sweden or anyone else for whom it's not super painful.

Other HRE candidates: Bosnia, Serbia, Albania would just need a province adjacent to join. Provence probably can and should hop in right away. TO and LO. The Papal State. Venice can join by selling a couple provinces to vassals and giving Brescia back to Milan. Byzantium if you managed to take Dalmatia off Venice or something.

So non-catholic countries can join before the reformation/league war? Something seems off about a a Serbian orthodox state joining the HRE.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

So non-catholic countries can join before the reformation/league war? Something seems off about a a Serbian orthodox state joining the HRE.

The Ottomans fought for the protestants IRL

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arrhythmia posted:

The Ottomans fought for the protestants IRL
He is asking if an orthodox country can join the HRE; not one of the league sides.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure any Christian nation can potentially join. Serbia could, but that would likely mean punching a couple provinces off Hungary and getting an alliance + RM with the Emperor to have high enough relations to join. Not easy but doable.

And yeah, anyone can join the League Wars. Catholics can join the Protestant side, Orthodox and Muslims will hop in too. No rules, it's thunderdome.

Edit: looking at the map, for Orthodox it's really only Serbia and maybe Wallachia that have a reasonable shot at joining the HRE. Maaaaaaybe Novgorod, but that'd be really hard to pull off.

Allowing Orthodox rebels to flip Ottomans to Orthodox, vassalizing electors and making yourself the Emperor of the HRE used to be a pro Ottomans strat back in the day.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 29, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

When different unit types have the same number of total pips but they're distributed slightly differently, does it really matter which one you pick? I'm thinking of situations where like you have 3 options and, in a given category, one has one more pip for offensive, one has one more pip for defensive, and one is balanced. My guess is it barely matters but I'd be interested to hear the take of a more experienced player.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

2 things. Why is Meghayala still a wasteland? I don't think it's anymore Inhospitable than Northern Burma or the Shan Hills, and it's real annoying to have a big hole in my Bengali empire

And when did Gibralter stop being crossable?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PrinceRandom posted:

2 things. Why is Meghayala still a wasteland? I don't think it's anymore Inhospitable than Northern Burma or the Shan Hills, and it's real annoying to have a big hole in my Bengali empire
No idea.

PrinceRandom posted:

And when did Gibralter stop being crossable?
Gibraltar has never been crossable (as in: armies can walk over to Africa and back) in any of the Europa Universalis games (if I remember correctly).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

He is asking if an orthodox country can join the HRE; not one of the league sides.

whoops!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

When different unit types have the same number of total pips but they're distributed slightly differently, does it really matter which one you pick? I'm thinking of situations where like you have 3 options and, in a given category, one has one more pip for offensive, one has one more pip for defensive, and one is balanced. My guess is it barely matters but I'd be interested to hear the take of a more experienced player.

It doesn't matter that much, but occasionally you have a few equivalent choices and I'd evaluate them as follows:

Shock/Fire pips are better than Morale.
For infantry, I'd favor defensive pips unless you're rocking killer generals and military NIs, someone like Prussia might want to favor offensive pips and murder everything. Check your Shock/Fire modifiers from tech when comparing those two.
For cav, they're all about Shock damage so you want offensive Shock pips. Defensive Fire pips are good, but offensive Fire on cav is complete garbage.

As an example, at western tech 15 you have three infantry choices.

Reformed Tercio - 2/2 Fire, 2/2 Shock, 3/3 Morale
Gustavian Infantry - 3/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 3/2 Morale
Highlanders Infantry - 2/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 4/2 Morale

At that tech infantry is 1.1 Fire and 1.15 Shock modifiers. Gustavian Infantry would be my pick.

Edit: and as another example, check out the top tier Western cavalry http://www.eu4wiki.com/Land_units#Western_2

I'd pick the Lancers, best Shock damage and offensive Fire is terrible on cav. From modifiers they do like 3-6x more Shock than Fire damage depending on tech.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 29, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
huh I never thought about there being objectively better choices a lot of the time but I guess that makes sense. Still, if you're lazy like me, defensive pips if you're worried about manpower, offensive pips if you're not.

Bort Bortles posted:

Gibraltar has never been crossable (as in: armies can walk over to Africa and back) in any of the Europa Universalis games (if I remember correctly).

I think it's crossable in CK2 isn't it? That might be what threw them off

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Bort Bortles posted:

No idea.

i thought they were in 3.

It's shorter than the Bosporus. It's weird I can cross from Trinidad into Venezuela but have to board a fleet to get to Morocco.

Edit: Oh yeah. It was 2.

I played a lot of Aberration even way after EU2 was done.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Honestly they probably did it so that the Berber states stand a chance. What the gently caress would Morocco do if the Iberians didn't have to ship troops to invade?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Reformed Tercio - 2/2 Fire, 2/2 Shock, 3/3 Morale
Gustavian Infantry - 3/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 3/2 Morale
Highlanders Infantry - 2/2 Fire, 3/2 Shock, 4/2 Morale

Tercio is actually 2/2 2/3 3/3. Since it has better morale and shock defense compared to the other two and all units in the fight take morale damage at all times even if they aren't fighting in the front line usually I go with tercio. It's especially better if you're fighting in terrain with a lower combat width. It also depends on what kind of generals you have. If you have all shock generals you don't want to be using a unit that's more fire than shock.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 29, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Tercio is actually 2/2 2/3 3/3. Since it has better morale and shock defense compared to the other two and all units in the fight take morale damage at all times even if they aren't fighting in the front line usually I go with tercio. It's especially better if you're fighting in terrain with a lower combat width. It also depends on what kind of generals you have. If you have all shock generals you don't want to be using a unit that's more fire than shock.

Oops thanks for spotting the error. And yeah you can be a little more strategic about your unit choices depending on generals but really the main obvious choice is not to buy offensive FIre on cav. A Shock pip is literally 3-6x as good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pellisworth posted:

Venice can join by selling a couple provinces to vassals and giving Brescia back to Milan.
It'd probably make sense if former HRE territories could more easily join/had custom decisions to ask to rejoin. Like maybe Venice could ask to have it's Italian holdings back in the HRE, and the current emperor would then choose between options of No, Yes, and "If they restore the Patriarch of Aquileia". Should probably only be available if the starting Italian HRE members are still HRE members though.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PrinceRandom posted:

i thought they were in 3.

It's shorter than the Bosporus. It's weird I can cross from Trinidad into Venezuela but have to board a fleet to get to Morocco.

Edit: Oh yeah. It was 2.

I played a lot of Aberration even way after EU2 was done.

No it isn't, not by a long shot. Depending on where you measure it, the Gibraltar Straight is something like 15-20km across, and the currents are pretty treacherous to boot. Whereas at the major crossing points at Istanbul and Çanakkale, you're looking at 1km of water.

And yeah, Gibraltar hasn't been cross-able since EU3:NA at least.

"Wiz posted:

Fun Fact of the Day
Somewhere around 40-45% of users have at least one mod activated while playing. This number drops sharply after any major patch (due to mods being broken) but then eventually stabilize back around that level.

Thread is from Tuesday, but I'm actually kind of surprised it's that high. Apparently Custom Nations are the most common too, which I honestly kind of surprising to me, but I'm a big history dork.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 29, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

No it isn't, not by a long shot. Depending on where you measure it, the Gibraltar Straight is something like 15-20km across, and the currents are pretty treacherous to boot. Whereas at the major crossing points at Istanbul and Çanakkale, you're looking at 1km of water.
Thank you for posting the numbers, I was in a hurry earlier and couldnt look them up but I was pretty sure the crossing points on either end of the Bosporous were pretty close, and I knew Gibraltar is about 21 miles from Cueta to The Rock of Gibraltar (closest dirt to closest dirt is something just under 20km I believe). Also, mad respect for using the Ç.

PittTheElder posted:

Thread is from Tuesday, but I'm actually kind of surprised it's that high. Apparently Custom Nations are the most common too, which I honestly kind of surprising to me, but I'm a big history dork.
I dont like using game-changing mods but the TBARW or whatever they are that make the game look prettier are nice :)

I'm not surprised Custom Nations are popular but I, too was surprised to see that Custom Nations are THE most popular. I know I love having my own ideas.
I wonder if the custom nations are on the historical setup or on random maps?
Also with how popular the custom nation designer is, I wonder if they will ever add more options to setting up games with a randomized map. I would love it if there were some options like:
~No HRE
~All cultures have their cores so they are releasable countries
~More variety of religions on setup (e.g. if a player sets up a Norse or Zoastrian there would be some more countries with that religion and/or some provinces scattered around randomly nearby with that religion)
~Add or remove development from provinces when setting up the game
~Allow players to chose where their forts are at start
~Allow players to chose their army and navy composition, and where they are at start

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 29, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

It isn't true grand strategy if I can't satisfy my inexplicable need for the rebirth and reign of a thousand-year ultrapowerful Roman Empire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Roadie posted:

It isn't true grand strategy if I can't satisfy my inexplicable need for the rebirth and reign of a thousand-year ultrapowerful Roman Empire.

That's only half the battle. True grand strategy is rebuilding a thousand year Roman Empire, and then watching it get ripped apart by civil strife every 50 years.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, as always Wikipedia is stupid and I looked it up on EB and you're right.

Is there anyway besides Humanism or certain Nation specific ideas to lower the accepted culture threshold?

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 29, 2015

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015
My custom nation "New Carthage" game has had the HRE throne going on a greater European tour. Stops include Lithuania, Great Britain, France and Portugal.

Apparently the HRE has no idea who should be the leader of the Germans, but have unanimously decided one if their own isn't up for the task.

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm not surprised Custom Nations are popular but I, too was surprised to see that Custom Nations are THE most popular.

Those stats are bast on game starts, so my 1001 experiments with being a Gothic culture no-religion Daimyo in Ireland or whatever poo poo I tried just to test how absurd of a country I could make are each considered just as serious as your actual attempt to play a long game and accomplish something.

Contrecoup fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 29, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PittTheElder posted:

I'm playing a mod I guess but it's just an export of my CK2 game.

Roadie posted:

Thousand year reign of an ultrapowerful Fylkirate :black101:

It's cool that I can pick which Norse god I want to worship as my main deity.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Jan Mayen may be returning.

:sweden:

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz
Is there a reason to hit the button early to instantly integrate Lithuania when you're playing as Poland? I'm in the 1600's and he keeps on claiming poo poo to the east. Every few years I push his claims, he does all the fighting and I give him 5-7 provinces. Will I be missing any cool unique to Commonwealth events or something? Because having a strong Lithuania expanding to the east seems really good to me. Dude even westernized so he's several techs ahead of everyone to the east.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

StinkingHomo posted:

Is there a reason to hit the button early to instantly integrate Lithuania when you're playing as Poland? I'm in the 1600's and he keeps on claiming poo poo to the east. Every few years I push his claims, he does all the fighting and I give him 5-7 provinces. Will I be missing any cool unique to Commonwealth events or something? Because having a strong Lithuania expanding to the east seems really good to me. Dude even westernized so he's several techs ahead of everyone to the east.

No you can pretty much just let them keep doing their thing, it's actually kind of broken as gently caress. Usually unions aren't quite so abusable in this way since you have to pay for the integration cost + time of provinces but with Lithuania you get it all for free.

I'd imagine it's even better now with development since they will upgrade their provinces as well.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005
Why do my borders always end up being so awful? :saddowns:

edit: Also, my heir is Karl, from Kongo :psyduck:

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Bort Bortles posted:

Thank you for posting the numbers, I was in a hurry earlier and couldnt look them up but I was pretty sure the crossing points on either end of the Bosporous were pretty close, and I knew Gibraltar is about 21 miles from Cueta to The Rock of Gibraltar (closest dirt to closest dirt is something just under 20km I believe). Also, mad respect for using the Ç.

I dont like using game-changing mods but the TBARW or whatever they are that make the game look prettier are nice :)

I'm not surprised Custom Nations are popular but I, too was surprised to see that Custom Nations are THE most popular. I know I love having my own ideas.
Also with how popular the custom nation designer is, I wonder if they will ever add more options to setting up games with a randomized map. I would love it if there were some options like:
~No HRE
~More variety of religions on setup (e.g. if a player sets up a Norse or Zoastrian there would be some more countries with that religion and/or some provinces scattered around randomly nearby with that religion)
~Allow players to chose their army and navy composition, and where they are at start

I would like the ability to import others custom nations/worlds cause I can't be assed to make an interesting world myself

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

b0lt posted:

edit: Also, my heir is Karl, from Kongo :psyduck:

...the next King in Konigsberg.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Now rename it Kongosberg.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

~No HRE
I would really like the option to have all of my starting provinces to have my chosen culture rather than just the capital.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Disco Infiva posted:

Now rename it Kongosberg.

Culture shift to Russian, Kongograd

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Roadie posted:

The next big patch that tweaks this stuff is this week, and it looks like the only countries that will still be left holding the short end of the stick are the American ones, since they have low development/high building costs that are really punishing compared to the original Conquest of Paradise stuff.

Which reminds me, I sort of feel like the generic colonial idea set should maybe have some sort of development cost bonus because they're starting 'from scratch' and are going to be spending a lot on development.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Schizotek posted:

Honestly they probably did it so that the Berber states stand a chance. What the gently caress would Morocco do if the Iberians didn't have to ship troops to invade?

I think a lot of it isn't so much making it easier to invade as the fact that having a strait there would let the Iberians count anything in Africa they have a direct land connection to as non-distant-overseas.

StinkingHomo posted:

I think most of the events work for Poland as well as Commonwealth, so as long as you can stay below 50% liberty desire you're in good shape. However, I think there are cultural threshold implications involved - if you pull in too much territory at once some of the cultures may not be above the threshold they need to get accepted. I have no idea how this would actually play out (especially since you have so many bonuses in that regard) but it seems like it could be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does this seem doable at all?

I should be able to get admin efficiency soon enough, but I still have to beat the Ottomans and a bunch of major powers before I even come close to the achievement, and there's only 110 years left. I'm this close to just quitting and considering it a learning experience since there's a lot of stuff I could improve here (like how I didn't wait to get a few vassals before westernizing, which means I have to core everything). It might be worth a shot, though.

• Locked thread