Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
gently caress your Deathmist Raptor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't wait to open this in every draft I do.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah still not playable I think. How high would you have to cost it to hit all copies in play too? 3bbb?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

This on the other hand is definitely playable, since it always cantrips.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Containment Priest is just too good for modern. This one does shut down tokens too though, so that's neat.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah still not playable I think. How high would you have to cost it to hit all copies in play too? 3bbb?

Eradicate was 2BB. Sever the Bloodline was 3B. So probably 3BB or 4BB/3BBB. Basically enough to make it unplayable.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

These will go great in my bad answers to Splinter Twin deck.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

I could see that making sideboard for control decks. The ability to just get rid of Ojutai for good saves a lot of resources, and the 3CMC means you can either force a counter war early or slip it in easily. Plus, gently caress Den Protector and Rhino.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Containment Priest is just too good for modern. This one does shut down tokens too though, so that's neat.

The tokens part seems like a big deal to me, like it merits discussion using that instead of priest in legacy. Counters entreat, buys a turn off dredge, stops storm decks from using empty the warrens. Doesn't offer the permanence that priest does though.

Pretty great board card for modern though, I expect to see it. Fucks with twin, CoCo, and goryo's vengeance decks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Both cards are sweet. I can see their very existence having an impact on the metagame, like Dromoka's Command did.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

legoman727 posted:

I could see that making sideboard for control decks. The ability to just get rid of Ojutai for good saves a lot of resources, and the 3CMC means you can either force a counter war early or slip it in easily. Plus, gently caress Den Protector and Rhino.

control doesn't care that much about rhino, really. it's just a very efficient medium-costing threat

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Twin, Collected Company, BW Tokens, Chord of Calling, Reanimator, Young Peezy Aether Vial Monastary Mentor and Lingering Souls a little, Jeskai Tokens. Shuts down quite a bit.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Twin, Collected Company, BW Tokens, Chord of Calling, Reanimator, Young Peezy Aether Vial Monastary Mentor and Lingering Souls a little, Jeskai Tokens. Shuts down quite a bit.

Shuts down is a bit strong. More like delays for a turn and cantrips. Stalling Twin for a turn isn't bad, but it's not as good as blowing up the creature with Twin attached.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Only for a single turn though. Important aspect to remember. It's not quite all of containment priest.

e:fb

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You obviously play it with Dominating Licid so that you only need to stop them for the one turn then you win when you untap.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It does, however, completely gently caress over collected company.

Also every single deck relying on aether vial.

What a nice card.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol do you know any judges? Employees get one to two boxes a month which have like $75-80 value. Also when you're payed as much as a retail manager at starbucks I'm sure every little bit on the side helps.

Employees also get paid, a salary or something I presume. And Judges get a fair bit of product for judging tournaments, but we aren't "on the inside" like that, so we can't speculate.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GeneX posted:

It does, however, completely gently caress over collected company.

Also every single deck relying on aether vial.

What a nice card.

Holy crap have you people not read the card?!

Again, it does these things for a turn. It's 1W: counter Collected Company or Chord, draw a card. And the fact that you're holding up 1W instead of doing something relevant means you're probably losing anyway. And Aether Vial? Really? You choose not to put a creature into play and activate Vial again later. What a beating. How will Aether Vial ever see play now?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't know, but 2RB hits everything but land in hand, graveyard and library, and B hits everything but basic lands, in hand, graveyard and library, as long as one is in a graveyard.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

Again, it does these things for a turn. It's 1W: counter Collected Company or Chord, draw a card. And the fact that you're holding up 1W instead of doing something relevant means you're probably losing anyway. And Aether Vial? Really? You choose not to put a creature into play and activate Vial again later. What a beating. How will Aether Vial ever see play now?

It cantrips, though, which can do wonders for a card's playability. If jeskai control didn't get completely run out of modern by Grixis control I would say it might run this card, just to stall against twin a turn/stop CoCos and chords/Goryo's Vengeances.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Uhhhh....

No comment.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Samael posted:

Uhhhh....

No comment.

I can already see this card in every EDH deck.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
well, now I guess we know what Nissa is supposed to ramp into

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

I can already see this card in every EDH deck.

I want to put this on a living lore in standard and live the dream.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"See, Scapeshift wasn't already an effective representation of the shift between Lorwyn and Morningtide, so we had to make a way shittier version with less interesting flavour!" - Wizards, 2015

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
decklist idea:

4x Day's Undoing
4x The Great Aurora
52x ???

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I'm....having a little trouble figuring out what Great Aurora does.

It picks up everything and gives everybody a bunch of lands and....?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veyrall posted:

I'm....having a little trouble figuring out what Great Aurora does.

It picks up everything and gives everybody a bunch of lands and....?
reset the game except the person with more permanents+cards in hand gets to ramp more and draw more cards. good with tokens and land ramp spells?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Lancelot posted:

reset the game except the person with more permanents+cards in hand gets to ramp more and draw more cards. good with tokens and land ramp spells?

Tokens don't work, they don't shuffle back into the library and don't get counted with the effect, iirc

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Samael posted:

Tokens don't work, they don't shuffle back into the library and don't get counted with the effect, iirc, it's similar to what happens with warp world

No, same thing as Warp World — they get shuffled into your library and count towards your number of permanents and therefore the number of cards you draw, but then they immediately cease to exist and so you don't reveal them or draw them.

Warp World rulings posted:

Tokens are permanents but not cards. They'll count toward the number of permanents shuffled into your library, so you'll get a card back for each token you owned. But the tokens themselves should be ignored while you're revealing *cards* from your library.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

EDITED: Can't read.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

suicidesteve posted:

It's a fun card that stops most non-bloom combo decks, is a very nice tempo swing against company, and can stop a vial deck from going off.

Also, uh, "holding up 1W instead of doing something relevant" is basically the literal definition of a control deck? Except it's usually some variety of U spell instead.

It's a fine card in a very advantageous position due to the current modern meta.

Also that green card is, uh, weird to say the least.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Sort of memoricide seems a lot better than sort of containment priest

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Goblin buy up is exactly why I'm slowly playing this game less and less. Mtg isn't even a loving card game anymore. I can't wait for the bubble to eventually pop and card prices tank. Not because Ill play again, but for the pure pleasure of knowing tons of nerds just lost thousands of dollars in cardboard.

Shame because the game is fairly fun.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Online prices are generally a lot more reasonable, if you have the unflappable cool and eternal patience that is required to endure long-term use of the MODO client.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

BXCX posted:

Was there a funny story about this? I had a window open to watch it from earlier in the day and now it goes to page not found.

Oh that was an issue where the videos were edited poorly and were cut in half for some reason.

His actual draft was intresting, also the vids are back up now.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

legoman727 posted:

Yeah for the same cost as Hero's Downfall it seems pretty good to me.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dohaeris posted:

I agree, it's pretty drat good. Also creature decks will have to be in constant fear of it considering the only 2 days to play around it cast a copy of the creature first so you have at least one on the board, or pay they don't have the card on turn 3.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Dohaeris posted:

The card name and the art are both pretty cool too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lancelot posted:

Online prices are generally a lot more reasonable, if you have the unflappable cool and eternal patience that is required to endure long-term use of the MODO client.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Avacyn+Restored/Griselbrand#online

• Locked thread