Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Space Marines own because so many of the chapters are absolutely ridiculous. Space Viking Raiders, Space True Blood Vampires, Space God Wills It Like It's 1096 Crusaders. Only the super generic chapters are boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kanos posted:

Space Marines own because so many of the chapters are absolutely ridiculous. Space Viking Raiders, Space True Blood Vampires, Space God Wills It Like It's 1096 Crusaders. Only the super generic chapters are boring.

And then Dan Abnett wrote Know No Fear.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kanos posted:

And some of the fluff is still written to be amusing. Like that one Space Wolf on Terra spending time there as one of their bodyguard units. Saved some important guy, got granted the boon of absolutely anything he wanted. Asked for a meat pie.

It was apparently a BIG meat pie. But still. Space Marines are fine if you look at all the stuff through the lens of an action movie. The stories aren't how stuff happens 100% factually, it's just some Imperials watching the Hollywood version in a theater somewhere, with a brave marine kool-aid manning his way through a wall, spouting a one liner in the name of the emperor, and then blowing up the head of a cultist with his rocket gun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaodai posted:

And some of the fluff is still written to be amusing. Like that one Space Wolf on Terra spending time there as one of their bodyguard units. Saved some important guy, got granted the boon of absolutely anything he wanted. Asked for a meat pie.

It was apparently a BIG meat pie. But still. Space Marines are fine if you look at all the stuff through the lens of an action movie. The stories aren't how stuff happens 100% factually, it's just some Imperials watching the Hollywood version in a theater somewhere, with a brave marine kool-aid manning his way through a wall, spouting a one liner in the name of the emperor, and then blowing up the head of a cultist with his rocket gun.

No, no that's definitely exactly how most SM writers are writing it, there is no subtlety or one step removal there.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Orv posted:

No, no that's definitely exactly how most SM writers are writing it, there is no subtlety or one step removal there.

Something I would expect a lowly hive pleb to say.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Zaodai posted:

I recommend you never pick up anything labelled "Space marine battle novel" so as not to shatter your little fantasy about black library writers. :frog:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Klaus88 posted:

I recommend you never pick up anything labelled "Space marine battle novel" so as not to shatter your little fantasy about black library writers. :frog:

I have a deep abiding love for lovely science fiction and fantasy novels and love the Warhammer fluff in all of its glorious idiocy but man I read one of those and it played the space marine "beep boop for da emprah" stuff so straight and serious and boring that I couldn't even finish it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Klaus88 posted:

I'm not saying the ones I like are even done by good writers. I just don't hate the setting for it. Very few of the books I've read have been so awful that I couldn't stand them. The Grey Knight books in particular were AWFUL. I think I got through ~3/4 of the first book and just said "Nope, can't read this poo poo.". It is currently serving as a little table/stand on my desk to elevate things I want near the window.

Incidentally, I think I have one of the Space Marine Battles books. The one where the Thousand Sons show up on Fenris to ruin the wolves day. It wasn't horrible.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Klaus88 posted:

The Caphias Cain novels are pretty fun, but those feature actual human beings and are more action-comedies than straight faced nonsense.

oh wait you mean the space marine battle series, yeah those are bad.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

Actually Cadians number several billion, iirc, and there's nothing Slavic about them.

:commissar:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Mans posted:

Warhams 40k is cool as hell if you take it from the Imperial, Ork or Tau point of view because it's Mecha-Stalin, Liverpool hooligans and beep boop snipahs fighting against all kind of weird aliens.

It's only really hammy when you play the game as Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar or Necron because they really try to portrait them as uber serious and badass factions. They're great as rivals if you fight against with the three above races but lol at someone looking at "Abaddon the despoiler" and not laughing.

Newcrons are much less badass than they used to be though since they've lost their central command so all the various Necron Overlords have splintered and gone off to do their own things. One of the Necron Overlords has built himself a giant library full of stolen artifacts and rare items and spends all his time either running about space finding new stuff for his library or sitting in said library stroking his treasures and making orgasmic noises.

And then of course there's the Silent King who is currently crapping his skeleton robot pants because he found the Tyranids.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

He does have a kind of a point- if you don't like warhams, why post in here?

I think warhammer is pretty stupid and bad, but fantasy is bit less stupid/bad and I'm very interested to see how CA can shake up their somewhat stale gameplay formula with a new and wildly different setting that opens up a lot of possibilities. For some reason though this thread has been overtaken by a bunch of obsessive 40k lore weirdos and no longer has anything to do with Total War: Warhammer. I've noticed that anytime the words "war" and "hammer" are written anywhere near each other on the internet, these kinds of people cannot stop themselves from endlessly idolizing fictional spacemen marketed towards 13-year olds.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
as a very serious and highly sophisticated poster on the something awful dot com video game subforum, i

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Vargs posted:

I think warhammer is pretty stupid and bad, but fantasy is bit less stupid/bad and I'm very interested to see how CA can shake up their somewhat stale gameplay formula with a new and wildly different setting that opens up a lot of possibilities. For some reason though this thread has been overtaken by a bunch of obsessive 40k lore weirdos and no longer has anything to do with Total War: Warhammer. I've noticed that anytime the words "war" and "hammer" are written anywhere near each other on the internet, these kinds of people cannot stop themselves from endlessly idolizing fictional spacemen marketed towards 13-year olds.

We don't really have anything to talk about Total War: Warhammer right now since there's very little information and everyone agrees that what information there is looks pretty fuckin' great.

So we're talking about 40k instead to pass the time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Vargs posted:

I wish they had swapped in one of the cooler secondary armies for the dwarves because I think the Lizardmen or Tomb Kings are really kinda neat.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Make Kislev a viable army choice. Or Araby. Hell, aren't the TK's kind of alright rulers? Release a new TK army list with human auxiliaries, it'd be amazing!

But nope, gotta put out Sigmarines, let's explode everything and start anew.

EDIT: Seriously, what are round bases and massive shoulderpads on eight-foot tall superhumans doing in my Fantasy?

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I'm giving this game a wide berth despite being a fan of both TW and WH franchise because Rome 2 shattered my soul and Games Workshop has no soul. Will buy on sale though if it's a fraction as good as it looks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Heh... more like Age of SHITMAR, am I right folks?

/winks to the camera

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Heh... more like Age of SHITMAR, am I right folks?

/winks to the camera

Yeah, probably.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CommissarMega posted:

Make Kislev a viable army choice. Or Araby. Hell, aren't the TK's kind of alright rulers? Release a new TK army list with human auxiliaries, it'd be amazing!

EDIT: Seriously, what are round bases and massive shoulderpads on eight-foot tall superhumans doing in my Fantasy?

The round bases and use of 40k style squad rules pretty much confirms that yeah they're going to solidly tie the new Fantasy setting to a subsetting of 40k. Siegmarines are just icing on the poo poo cake.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

If I was in charge of updating an army I would give the Tomb Kings some greek flavored heavy infantry to strengthen their line somehow. I think they're a cool army but probably the hardest to play as a beginner and that might alleviate it a bit.

I'd justify it since if the egyptians influenced greek culture in our world they can do it in the warhammer one too.

It would also be cool if even if everything is round bases you could have your lowquality fodder troops like 3-5 on a bigger base so you still get a cool looking pike wall thing of pointy sticks if you want, is how i'd do it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

My draft for the updated Lizardmen edition is a single sticknote that says: MORE LIZARDY.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lizardmen move to not-Canada, emancipate the Cold Ones, and the new Lizardmen/Dark Elves army feature Cold Ones carried on palanquins by struggling Dark Elf slaves. Hire me, GeeDubs.

Also, Skaven get Warpstone ICBMs. Seriously, hire me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Lizardmen move to not-Canada, emancipate the Cold Ones, and the new Lizardmen/Dark Elves army feature Cold Ones carried on palanquins by struggling Dark Elf slaves. Hire me, GeeDubs.

Also, Skaven get Warpstone ICBMs. Seriously, hire me.

The Age of Sigmar text stuff on their site actually mentions the Lizardmen surviving and asks where did they go, so I hope they have a release for them coming or something and also hope that release isn't turning them into also space marines.

I guess they kinda already were though sorta in the tabletop sense though, a beginner friendly army with simple strong units and some more expensive heavy options you can bring if you want.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aww that Age of Sigmar poo poo is real? Fuuuuuck

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

It makes this game seem kinda weird, in retrospect. I wonder if they just decided since they had been planning it before they decided to do the sigmar stuff to just release it anyways.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

toasterwarrior posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Feel my/our pain.

Sharkopath posted:

It makes this game seem kinda weird, in retrospect. I wonder if they just decided since they had been planning it before they decided to do the sigmar stuff to just release it anyways.

Space Marine DLC for Warhammer Total War 2, anyone? Forget all those unreliable Volley Guns and Steam Tanks, let's get some Heavy Bolters and Russes behind our musket lines!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i just want a company of heros kind of game where you play imperial guards, is that so hard to ask!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Roobanguy posted:

i just want a company of heros kind of game where you play imperial guards, is that so hard to ask!

So Dawn of War 2?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Maybe the situation is that since Warhammer Fantasy as it was no longer exists, GW is comfortable with other companies doing whatever with it

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Yeah thats literally just DoW2 with whatever expansion adds IG

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Here's the chaos half of that spread:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Age of Smegmar.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ojetor posted:

So Dawn of War 2?

it's just not the same. :(

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Fantasy is more like a dark parody of medieval fantasy settings. It's pretty good in my opinion. But the sheer stupidity of 40k makes it unplayable for me. Space marines are the worse...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's why you play as orks and bash the space marines generic boring faces in

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So they finally realized not every 12-year old is able to spend 3000 bucks on an army in which 90% of the painstakingly painted models are just for casualty removal purposes and redesigned it as skirmish game now?
A little late perhaps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Naw, they're relaunching it as a physical/digital product with a multi platform f2p adaptation of the tabletop game that accepts code input from purchased models to unlock in-game rewards, and likewise digital purchases unlock automatic discounts for physical models.

(nah, that'd never work, no one ever bought physical toys for a video game)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zzulu posted:

That's why you play as orks and bash the space marines generic boring faces in

Or Imperial Guard and show them that all the genetic enhancements in the galaxy don't compare to steel balls and faith in the God-Emperor :black101:

Or play the Sororitas and show those 'roided up deviants what faith can really do :flame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I really hate fantasy armor.

Its always this stupid, overly ornate garbage plate mail bullshit. None of the people that create it know or respect anything about the history of armor, or how much a loving science it was. So when trying to create cool armor they produce trash that is the horrifying equivalent of a colorblind man painting a room, and looks worse than people hundreds of years ago made when they had a loving sense that even their crazy gilded ornate poo poo had to somehow be worn by a human being at some point.. I liked the empire in fantasy since they cribbed from a different era of armor and were somewhat less inclined to create formless metal shithouses and now its dead. Dead!

okay thats me being autistic for a bit to get in the spirit of things but lovely fantasy armaments are a legit pet peeve of mine as i am a thoughtless consumer of lovely media meant for children

e: like what the gently caress is the point of all those loving lovely overwrought details on the chaos guys when theyre like 2 loving inches tall and all those bits just turn into loving noise the second you move your eye more than a half foot away from them aaaaa

• Locked thread