Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucid Delusion
Dec 23, 2009

You're merely postponing the inevitable.
Wow, they broke out Citizen Erased? How often does that happen these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Paperback Writer posted:

6/13/15 @ Donnington Park Download Festival :black101:

1. Psycho
2. The Handler
3. New Born
4. Hysteria
5. Micro Cuts
6. Dead Star
7. Agitated
8. Citizen Erased
9. Munich Jam

10. Dead Inside
11. Supermassive Black Hole
12. Mercy
13. Time Is Running Out
14. Reapers
15. Stockholm Syndrome

Encore:
16. Uprising
17. Plug In Baby
18. Knights of Cydonia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV7NZ69VZ-Q
That solo sounds loving awesome live!

That is a loving set :stare:

I'm going to see Muse at Werchter festival in a couple of weeks, I hope they just play this exact setlist.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

cgfreak posted:

That is a loving set :stare:

I'm going to see Muse at Werchter festival in a couple of weeks, I hope they just play this exact setlist.
Probably should have said, but they only played such a badass set list because Download is like a metal festival and they had promised they would play a different kind of set. Wish I was there though...

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I wonder if anyone has ever been at a Muse gig listening to Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts or Dead Star and thought 'you know this is too metal, I wish they'd play madness or guiding light'?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

They showed a pre-taped interview just before Muse got on stage where they said they were aiming towards a more metal setlist in order to suit the audience and I wasn't dissapointed.

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

GTO posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever been at a Muse gig listening to Citizen Erased, Micro Cuts or Dead Star and thought 'you know this is too metal, I wish they'd play madness or guiding light'?

I've been to shows where the crowd goes from 'standing politely listening with reasonable sway' to immediate circle pit in one song, complete with wide-eyed fans who suddenly realize they're in way over their head. Dead star is definitely one of those songs that will do it. In LA I saw a 40-year old lady hit the floor after taking a hit at the opening of Assassin. She seemed really into SMBH immediately prior, I imagine she would've preferred Madness over Assassin.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I was at the download gig, and it was a fantastic setlist. Deadstar and Citizen Erased were loving great. There were mini-moshpits opening up which seemed to shock a few muse-fans, but we were at download so it was to be expected.I was in one and some guy came flying through and knocked down about 7 people into one giant muddy pile. Through some miracle I fell on someone so didn't get a speck on me before an arm reached through the tangle to pick me up.

Lots of cool bouncing balls and confetti though. I heard a lot of cynical metal fans saying how muse didn't belong at download. I think they made a good impression though, it was a really good show.What my friend enjoyed (one of the aforementioned metal fans) was that in between almost each song there was a mini jam, where they just played a heavy riff for a few minutes before hitting the next song. That was cool.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Drones is the #1 album on the Billboard 200.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I've kinda stopped listening to it after two weeks... No real urge to go back. I think I'm getting old :(

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Popcorn posted:

Like I said, BHAR is the album when they started to get lazy. Revisit Supermassive Black Hole's bridge and ask yourself what the hell it's achieving.

Time is Running Out was arguably their most mainstream hit off of Absolution (based on the songs friends back then had heard of), so they went poppier for the next single and SMBH went huge, and then Guiding Light and that Twilight song and Madness and now

the truth posted:

Drones is the #1 album on the Billboard 200.

So yeah. Lazy sells!

The Handler is more than I expected them to produce, hopefully it gets the kind of crowd feedback that prompts them to re-discover that type of songwriting more often on the next album.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Maybe in America but they've been a massive stadium band in Europe since at least Absolution.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

It took longer for them to get really big, but even Muscle Museum got lots of airplay in the UK and basically anyone who was into rock got into OoS.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
What the gently caress is happening during Apocalypse Please in this performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20aW3P4YYnA

Did Matt wander offstage to throw up or something?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 21, 2015

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Popcorn posted:

What the gently caress is happening during Apocalypse Please in this performance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20aW3P4YYnA

Did Matt wander offstage to throw up or something?

He's out of the shot on piano. His mic must have cut out like it did during the handler, though not as long as this. Almost seems like the mic was totally non-functional to start.

(~37:30 in the video for anyone wondering)

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Oh man I saw Muse yesterday at Werchter and the new songs loving slay, Reapers was absolutely insane. It helps that they didn't play any of the crap, just the first five songs. Also at one point some dude invaded the stage and started breakdancing for a good 30 seconds before he got dragged off by security, that was pretty funny.

Setlist:

[Drill Sergeant]
Psycho
Supermassive Black Hole
Micro Cuts (yes)
The Handler
Dead Inside
Uno (???!!?!?!?!)
Interlude
Hysteria w/ Back in Black riff and Munich Jam
Madness (fuuuuuuuuck)
Citizen Erased (!!!!!!!)
Apocalypse Please
Plug In Baby
Mercy
Time Is Running Out
Reapers
Stockholm Syndrome w/ some RATM ripoff riff I didn't recognise
Encore:
[JFK]
Uprising w/ extended outro
Starlight
Knights of Cydonia

Replace Madness with Map of the Problematique and Starlight with New Born and you have a pretty ideal Muse set if you ask me.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtX8bGcdGnM

Proshot of the Citizen Erased performance from Werchter. It sounds pretty drat good, the person has other songs from the gig on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51FoWWLYyDY

And here is Micro Cuts from Moscow, I'm so glad Matt is still able to pull it off live.

TheSteelCurtain fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 1, 2015

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

This is a very good 6-track EP plus the two short interlude bits. After Defector if it loops back to Dead Inside it remains a thoroughly enjoyable album.

Everything else seems like it could be decent if re-interpreted by another band, but fell flat on a Muse LP. Revolt is like a Rise Against song, I have no idea what's going on there. Aftermath is a decent tune but out of place, it could work as an album closer perhaps, but it really feels like a single written to be played over Spiderman end credits. The Globalist is outright disappointing, such a lack of urgency and intensity, instead of a slow build it was an aimless meandering that happened to get loud for a few minutes. And Drones, hah, oh well, guess they had fun recording it.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
You could make a similarish comment about the last album.

Your name rings a bell. Did I uses to play poker with you?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
No Music Discussion > Muse - LP7: Secret PITR Hangout

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Fat Turkey posted:

You could make a similarish comment about the last album.

Your name rings a bell. Did I uses to play poker with you?

Yeah I ran a bunch of small stakes stuff back in the old PITR sub-forum and we chatted Muse back around BH&R too haha.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

this Roskilde stream is loving amazing. Best audio and visual I've ever seen. I almost flew to Denmark for this festival dammit.

E: My god, I need a cigarette. That was like experiencing one of their best shows. You could tell Matt really loved it at the end, what a crowd. I love Muse.

(oo this will do. Not quite the quality of the stream but it's drat good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8GjL2rg56o)

Paperback Writer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 7, 2015

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

"There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."
That falsetto at 14:00 during the Handler performance, holy hell I'm surprised he can still hit that.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Paperback Writer posted:

Shame it didn't work the first 20 minutes and missed The Handler, this Roskilde stream is loving amazing. Best audio and visual I've ever seen. I almost flew to Denmark for this festival dammit.

My god, I need a cigarette. That was like experiencing one of their best shows. You could tell Matt really loved it at the end, what a crowd. I love Muse.

(oo this will do. Not quite the quality of the stream but it's drat good.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/eEs5OxrNovc)

This is an awesome performance - had some friends there that were loving it too. Not a fan of the sepia filter for the first part of the set - what's the go with that?

Nice to have all the backup vocals up in the mix. Chris has come
A long way since hullabaloo.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Ha, before Plug in Baby his guitar sounds like Sweep :3:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Supremacy(42:40) really came back with a vengeance.

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNiVSTyXP7o

Check out this version of the title track with an organ, pretty cool.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Goddamnit. Their new albums always suck but whenever the live footage comes out I always get sucked in.

auzdark posted:

Not a fan of the sepia filter for the first part of the set - what's the go with that?

The new album art is very monochromatic, moving away from the increasingly technicolor camp of the previous albums. Which is the only cool thing about the new album art.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Ugh, they really are frighteningly good performers.

If only the lyrics weren't so poo poo. If only, if only, if only. The music is a massive mixed bag these days too but if the lyrics were good, if the lyrics were witty and wry, it'd save it. Who could be drafted in to rescue them?

TheSteelCurtain
Aug 4, 2011

Man they really have been going into another gear live these last few gigs. The Handler performance from Roskilde is amazing, I love how you can tell Matt was kind of hurting during the falsetto parts but at the end he just went for it and hit a note he hasn't hit for years. Check out from 3:25 on. Dat falsetto at 4:15!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iFGeL5w2EI

Its one of the things I love about Muse live, they always give everything they have. Even on their worst nights they are still one of the best live bands.

TheSteelCurtain fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 6, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone else think this new album is really disappointing? I haven't listened to every track yet, but the top singles seem really garage bandy. I can appreciate wanting to go to a more guitar/bass/drums oriented theme, but even when they were doing that perfectly in songs like Stockholm Syndrome and Plug In Baby, they still had that unique vibe that made the song that much more in depth and interesting. That added layer of complexity. You'd always find something new every time you listened to it that gave you an extra sense of how well put together every track was. This one is just super lazy in that regard. Hell, Psycho is just some riff that they used to play as an outro for Stockholm Syndrome in live shows almost a decade ago, and they recycled it and turned it into a song. That's a good analogy for every song I've heard so far. Really bumming me out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volkerball posted:

Anyone else think this new album is really disappointing?

Pretty much everyone in the thread, yeah!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
gently caress you, I like the album a lot. It's better than The Resistance and The 2nd Law by a mile. Reapers and The Handler are excellent songs. The only one I don't like is the turgid Defector. Even that has a good guitar solo though.

Matt's lyrics are as poo poo as they've always been, but the instrumentation is excellent all round on this disc. Especially Chris's bass. He's MVP of the album for sure.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 21, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Haven't heard any song that scratches the itch like Survival does, although that's far and away the best track on the second law and the resistance combined. And Unsustainable had a really awesome composition even if the dubstep angle was a bit :wtc:. Hopefully this new one will grow on me. There's a few tracks I think I'll probably get to like, but so many of them are just super basic. And while the lyrics have always been pretty poo poo, this album took cues from uprising and really just shoves how terrible they are right in your face so you can't not see them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I listened to this album a lot the first week or two. Heard Dead Inside on the radio yesterday and realized that I had completely forgotten it even existed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

gently caress you, I like the album a lot. It's better than The Resistance and The 2nd Law by a mile.

That stands to reason, their last good album was BHaR.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's a shame The Globalist was such a letdown. If they had gone out with a properly huge song then it would have made the album more memorable. They do the same riff for almost two minutes, add some bass and drums, then cut it off right after they start to build it into something big. Then we get a tired retread of the end of USOE/CD and Explorers.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

the truth posted:

It's a shame The Globalist was such a letdown. If they had gone out with a properly huge song then it would have made the album more memorable. They do the same riff for almost two minutes, add some bass and drums, then cut it off right after they start to build it into something big. Then we get a tired retread of the end of USOE/CD and Explorers.

Yeah, this is a big shame. The lead guitar kicks in and it's all building and oh whoops now it's piano sorry :smith:

Still, chalk me up for another who is perfectly happy with this album. Couple of duff tracks but generally a good listen.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Count me as an exception to everyone for really liking this album, all things considered. "Reapers" and "Dead Inside" are really good and fun rockers, and a lot of the songs are either fairly fun or goofy enough that you can't help but laugh at them, with the exception of "Mercy," which I find pretty unlistenable. But it's been a far more enjoyable outing than the last two albums. Maybe it's because I'm not the hugest Muse fan, though, so even though I've heard and enjoyed their earlier stuff, I'm not noticing what's "missing." But I find it one of the better albums of the year.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I can get what you're saying. But look at it this way. With some luck, if you aren't big into Muse, you won't have heard this song, so you can get the vibe I'm talking about that I hope to get from new Muse songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZfJ7Vs0o4I

There's no other band on earth who can write something like this and pull it off. Just complete off the wall nonsense that somehow works and owns. People have been saying Drones is Muse going "back to their roots," but it's really not, unless you mean their roots in the sense of when they were like 12 years old. Hell, their first album had showbiz, sober, cave, and muscle museum, which were all extremely unorthodox songs that were really good. And they never really deviated from that. Every album has experimental, complex songs that upon your first listen, you're just like "what the gently caress was that, that was awesome." From BHaR you've got Map of the Problematique, Hoodoo, and Assassin. From Origin of Symmetry you have Space Dementia, Micro Cuts, and Feeling Good. Absolution had Butterflies and Hurricanes, Sing for Absolution, and Apocalypse Please. All these songs are unlike anything else you'd hear from any other band, and only fit into this broad category of uniqueness that is Muse. So when you think of Muse having that identity, you go into a new album hoping/expecting to hear songs that you think are awesome immediately, but you can't quite comprehend why because you don't even know what you just listened to. So you listen to it a few times over and develop an appreciation for how good the songs are, and why, before arriving at the conclusion that it's insane that somehow someones brain actually created it. Most of the songs on Drones are really straight-forward and predictable, and you get sort of bored with them before they are even finished playing the first time. It's just not them. If it was the first album from a new band that I was hearing for the first time, I'd probably be in your shoes, but as it is, it just feels like a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Well, I've listened from Absolution onwards, but yeah, I get what you're saying, there isn't quite a "Map of the Problematique" on this album. I guess to clarify my reference point is that I listen to a lot of college radio lately, and while there's plenty of good stuff to be gleaned there, not a lot of it really indulges in the distorted rock-arounds that Drones does. But I get where you're coming from.

• Locked thread