Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

yardblog posted:

I'm looking to dive deeper into the rabbit hole and start roasting my own beans. I live in an apartment with a poo poo oven fan and no access to a deck. How bad is the smoke with a whirley pop or HGDB? Is it bad enough that I'm better off going all in on a Behmor? Is the consensus that the upgraded control panel on the Behmor is poo poo?

It's pretty dang smoky. If you can work outside, do it. I'm lucky because my kitchen has a door to the outside so whenever I'm roasting in my whirley pop I open that and put a fan in the doorway to try and blow as much smoke out as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Before you ask: I am in Europe otherwise I'd buy the Gaggia Classic.

anyway here my question related to it:
I want to buy a Gaggia Classic (lol). Preferably new. In Eurodollars, that is around 300 Euros depending on where in Europe I buy from. I wanted to buy the machine in one or two months.

However now this happened: Apparently new Gaggias are literal shite, because they are now plastic and basically 80$ Philipps machines.

In terms of things I can buy in Europe, for around 300 Euros, what is a good coffee machine that does: Espresso?
I don't drink any milk poo poo.

Never bothered to get more information cause I was pretty set on the Gaggia before big money capitalist neoliberals destroyed that dream

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is your grinder?

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Does anyone else find the Breville Smart Grinder to be extremely loud?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

thebehaviorist posted:

Does anyone else find the Breville Smart Grinder to be extremely loud?

Not really louder than any other grinder I've used. It's quieter than my Infinity was for sure.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

rockcity posted:

Not really louder than any other grinder I've used. It's quieter than my Infinity was for sure.

I think it's mainly the noise it makes towards the end when it's running out of beans. It's this screeching noise but if I don't let it run then I get 1-2 less grams than I put in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between a drip coffee maker and an automatic pour over coffee maker?

Asking because of this overpriced thing: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-24/review-is-a-gorgeous-pour-over-coffee-maker-worth-500-

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I really like iced coffee during the summer but my feeling is that I should be able to get away with using something that is cheaper than 15 bucks a pound (price at my local roaster) to get good iced coffee. Any brand recommendations? Costco?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

For like $6/lb you could buy green coffee and roast it yourself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's the difference between a drip coffee maker and an automatic pour over coffee maker?

Asking because of this overpriced thing: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-24/review-is-a-gorgeous-pour-over-coffee-maker-worth-500-

No real difference aside from the price tag. The problem with most cheap drip coffeemakers is that they don't get the water hot enough. The expensive one do a better job of that (hopefully) and probably have a bunch of programmable options or something.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

BraveUlysses posted:

I really like iced coffee during the summer but my feeling is that I should be able to get away with using something that is cheaper than 15 bucks a pound (price at my local roaster) to get good iced coffee. Any brand recommendations? Costco?

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/01/worst-and-best-coffee-at-trader-joes-which-coffee-to-buy-tj.html maybe

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't get it either.

The Bonavita BV1900TS does all of that (bloom, shower head "drip", water temperature) for less than half that price and includes a thermal carafe.

I will give the Ratio 8 points for its look. It's cool looking.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

I don't get it either.

The Bonavita BV1900TS does all of that (bloom, shower head "drip", water temperature) for less than half that price and includes a thermal carafe.

I will give the Ratio 8 points for its look. It's cool looking.

Yeah it is nice looking. I should spend $20 on walnut trim for my Bonavita and pocket the remaining $280.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Here's my current coffee setup:

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione and a Mazzer Super Jolly. I'm also using the Espro Toroid Frothing Pitcher and a Reg Barber tamper.

Akira Halogen Lamp with a Hario TCA-5. In this particular picture, I'm actually doing a gin-based cocktail, but I primarily use it for my coffee. I also have a Hario cold brew system as well that currently isn't pictured.

I would buy everything again, given a second chance. The Akira Halogen system is the least important out of all of them, but as you can see in the picture, it is really awesome for dinner parties/coffee parties/cocktail parties and always impresses folks with "the light show". I find it able to maintain a current temperate a lot easier than butane (I'm quite obsessed with the temperatures I like to hold while in the siphon) and I find that the residual heat is slightly less than using the butane as well.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Dear god. I'm drooling.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it worth it to get a drip machine with a grinder, as opposed to getting one without? I'm looking at coffee makers on Amazon and trying to decide if it's a feature I want to pay for.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is it worth it to get a drip machine with a grinder, as opposed to getting one without? I'm looking at coffee makers on Amazon and trying to decide if it's a feature I want to pay for.

2 things:
  1. There are only a couple of drip machines that folks in this thread would recommend—the Bonavita or the Technivorm Moccamaster. Most other drip coffee makers don't get your water hot enough and give you weak, bland coffee.
  2. Generally, built-in grinders are not going to be as good as standalone. For an entry level grinder, go for the Capresso Infinity or the Baratza Encore.

Also if you're willing to do very, very slightly more work (pouring water), I would highly recommend going for a pourover method over a drip method. An excellent place to start is the Clever Coffee Dripper. It's only $15 (though you need a hot water kettle) and the coffee will be way better than any drip machine.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 28, 2015

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In that case, what are this thread's opinions on the Bonavita BV1800SS?

Both in general, and compared to that Bonavita BV1900TS contraption that you people seem to be so horny for.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 28, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

In that case, what are this thread's opinions on the Bonavita BV1800SS?

Both in general, and compared to that Bonavita BV1900TS contraption that you people seem to be so horny for.

I believe the 1800SS is the original Thread Approved Drip Brewer™. The 1900TS is just the slightly updated version of it. The folks at Clive Coffee wrote a brief writeup on the differences between the two. Not sure that the differences are worth an extra $40.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wait, I thought the BV1900TS was the one without the Auto-Shutoff feature? :confused:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wait, I thought the BV1900TS was the one without the Auto-Shutoff feature? :confused:

The 1900 had an insulated carafe so it doesn't need a shutoff because there's no warming plate.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

According to the Bonavita website, the 1900TS has "One-touch brew operation with auto-off" :shrug:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well, guess I'm blowing $100+ dollars on a coffee maker then. I now hate myself. :smithicide:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Well, guess I'm blowing $100+ dollars on a coffee maker then. I now hate myself. :smithicide:

Only until it arrives. You're opinions will soon change.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Piker, come back when your bill hits $1k.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why do you people spend so much money on fuckin COFFEE, drat?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

It's like quicksand, it'll get you. I've probably spent about $2k on equipment at this point and it won't end there. Speaking of, I need to grab a Chemex for doing multiple cups for a coffee related event that I'm hosting for some people at my house.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

After working 9 months as a barista, I've learned that coffee can be as shallow or as deep as you want it to be.

Alternatively, "Go big or go home."

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Price out a year's worth of daily (or at least frequent) espresso drinks at your local coffee shop and you'll be SHOCKED at how much kit you could've bought with that money

biopanda
Sep 28, 2007

I know a lot of people in here are starting out on their coffee addiction, so I thought I'd share.

biopanda posted:

Up for sale is a Gaggia Classic espresso machine. As you can see from the pictures, this thing is in really incredible condition. The filter baskets have been upgraded to an Espresso Parts High Quality ones that help provide an even more impressive pull. All the cleaning supplies you'll need are also included (cleaner basket, descaler, and brush) as well as a tamper that fits the portafilter baskets like a glove.
We've owned this for a little less than a year, but we've made some truly fantastic espresso in that time. We can even include some wonderful coffee from Royal Mile roasters that we haven't opened yet.

Edit - I was doing some additional research, and the quality of Gaggia espresso machines kinda took a dive when started being manufactured by Phillips in 2009. (Philips screwed up the three-way selenoid valve among other things) LUCKILY this is a model from 2008. Pre-2009 units are getting harder and harder to find too...

I'd like to get $320 + shipping from Albuquerque, NM

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

Price out a year's worth of daily (or at least frequent) espresso drinks at your local coffee shop and you'll be SHOCKED at how much kit you could've bought with that money

Doesn't even have to be anything fancy; even a $2 cup of regular coffee every day for a year could pay for your wildest equipment dreams.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just don't get why everyone in this thread feels like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about your coffee product recommendations.

I mean I know GOONS and whatnot, but you seriously don't have a single suggestion for people that just want a simple basic under-$100 Mr. Coffee machine or something?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

biopanda posted:

I know a lot of people in here are starting out on their coffee addiction, so I thought I'd share.

Solid machine the Gaggia Classic. Bought one second hand a fee months back and I love it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I just don't get why everyone in this thread feels like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about your coffee product recommendations.

I mean I know GOONS and whatnot, but you seriously don't have a single suggestion for people that just want a simple basic under-$100 Mr. Coffee machine or something?

They're all garbage and you might as well just use Nescafé or other instant coffee at that point.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sextro posted:

They're all garbage and you might as well just use Nescafé or other instant coffee at that point.

I got that, but I'm saying just recommend the one that's the LEAST garbage.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Not everyone in this thread feel like it's a requirement to be all Three Olives about coffee product recommendations.

Buy a Hario hand grinder, a Beehouse pour over, bleached filters and the freshest beans you can, that will poo poo on a Mr. Coffee. That being said, many of us have gone that route and found that the recommended $120 setup (Capresso infinity + Hario v60 + digital scale) requires exponentially less effort and produces (in my opinion) a noticeably better cup of coffee.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 29, 2015

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I'm not knocking Nescafé mind you. That is really good stuff if you all you want us caffeine and "coffee" flavor. Or an ice cream topping. Or the secret ingredient in my butt rub.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

This is a thread for coffee enthusiasts. If you read the discussion here, you'll see there's a reason cheap coffee machines don't get recommended. If you insist people tell you which push-button-get-coffee-drink-machine is best, go to the product recommendation thread. You wouldn't go to the fine dining thread and bitch about people not wanting to recommend the best Denny's.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I got that, but I'm saying just recommend the one that's the LEAST garbage.

Hey don't tell anyone I told you this but I was really happy with my Krups drip machine for the 15 years I used it. It had a steel carafe that kept the coffee warm and brewed a respectable cup of coffee. Not enthusiast level, mind you. More like hobbyist level coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

uninverted posted:

Doesn't even have to be anything fancy; even a $2 cup of regular coffee every day for a year could pay for your wildest equipment dreams.

That doesn't even pay for my PID'd Rancillio Silvia.

I think the problem is that not a whole lot of people in here have a whole lot of experience with automatic drip machines outside of the ones that get recommended here. Most of us who are doing drip coffee are doing it one cup at a time using a pourover cone, which can be had for less than the price of a Mr. Coffee drop machine. The people who want to brew multiple cups in here are often using a Chemex which is still pretty cheap, like $30 or so depending on the size and model. These are manual options of course though, but they produce excellent coffee and for little money comparatively. I'm sure there are plenty of drip brewers that are serviceable for the money, but no one in here in buying them or has a lot of real world experience with them so they don't get recommended.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 29, 2015