Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Vorenus posted:

Hahaha. If someone can't handle the stress/effort of washing dishes they had better hope they can find a way to get on SS disability because if you can't handle that I really don't know what you can handle. TBF, the pay usually sucks but wow.

You'd be surprised dude. I train people to do the telephone as I go to school and being even halfway functional in a kitchen gives you a better work ethic than almost everyone else I've met in the business world (besides other people that have been in BoH before).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I'm the person willing to work forever for minimum wage forever I guess.

I was too when I was starting out, and did for what felt like forever. I'm glad to be making decent money now but there was something absolutely magical about being drenched in sweat from head to knee in a seemingly endless summer six nights a week knowing I wasn't even making enough to pay my bills. I don't miss the money but I miss the feeling.

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.
3 days off this week, plus holiday pay :rock:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My cousin's food truck's website got hacked.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/a-pro-isis-group-hacked-an-ontario-food-trucks-website-to-say-i-love-jihad

quote:

'Wiches Cauldron loves to make sandwiches, does not actually love jihad.

Ahaha

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
this is like an achewood story arc

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Who is it that has a place in San Antonio and can anyone pm me what it is? Wound up here for an emergency river trip, wouldn't mind trying that for dinner.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Shooting Blanks posted:

Who is it that has a place in San Antonio and can anyone pm me what it is? Wound up here for an emergency river trip, wouldn't mind trying that for dinner.

Are you thinking of Luke, John Besh's restaurant? It's pretty good and has a totally decent happy hour during the week. You should go.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Are you thinking of Luke, John Besh's restaurant? It's pretty good and has a totally decent happy hour during the week. You should go.

A goon opened a place here. I think it was errant gin monk but I'm phone posting and dunno how to search

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Oh my bad, I totally forgot about that. I think you're right that it's EGM.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

It is EGM. I don't have the name of the place but his menu looks hella tasty.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Post the menu? I am trying to find a post of his so I can pm him

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Post the menu? I am trying to find a post of his so I can pm him

I texted him for you, he's probably focusing on dinner service atm though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I texted him for you, he's probably focusing on dinner service atm though.

Thanks. Figured he's busy but worth a shot. Very last minute.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

the great deceiver posted:

Goddamnit I had just gotten to promoted to prep and the dude they hired to replace me in the dishpit thew a temper tantrum last night and walked out because the work was too hard after less than TWO days on the job so I got kicked back to washing dishes just so we could get through a busy Saturday night. Also they hired the number 2 sous chef's son as a dishwasher for a summer job and I had to train the kid in 30 minutes and the little brat didn't want to hear anything I wanted to say, just wanted to sneak out back for a cigarette/weed while his dad was busy on the line. The place I'm at actually isn't a bad place to work at all and isn't as poorly run as I'd make it sound but it was just a particularly lovely weekend, for me at least. Mostly had to do with the executive being off-site on some sort of catering/party gig or something for some political VIP, I'm not really sure. Like I mentioned earlier my restaurant is right across the street from the California state capitol so we live and die by politician/state worker business.

Getting jerked around to your previous position so you can carry some tumors, or denied a higher position because you're reliable in a lower position and not quickly replaceable and thus forced to watch a parade of dunderheads carousel through your kitchen when you know you can do that job is a time-honored tradition of the industry. It means you're part of the group. Welcome, friend. :)

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Willie Tomg posted:

Getting jerked around to your previous position so you can carry some tumors, or denied a higher position because you're reliable in a lower position and not quickly replaceable and thus forced to watch a parade of dunderheads carousel through your kitchen when you know you can do that job is a time-honored tradition of the industry. It means you're part of the group. Welcome, friend. :)

Haha thank you :) Makes me feel better

Also to whoever said the person that couldn't wash dishes might as well wrap it up and collect SSI- I worked as an office drone for the state of California for two years to put myself through college. Washing dishes in a large kitchen is 100x times harder than state office drone job, both physically and mentally. Still doesn't give the guy an excuse to punk out less than two days on the job.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I was too when I was starting out, and did for what felt like forever. I'm glad to be making decent money now but there was something absolutely magical about being drenched in sweat from head to knee in a seemingly endless summer six nights a week knowing I wasn't even making enough to pay my bills. I don't miss the money but I miss the feeling.

Really? All I remember from those times is how much I wanted to die going in every Saturday morning on maybe four hours of sleep to prepare massive amounts of food for both the restaurant and caterings for over twelve hours. Sure it toughened me up and lead to much better jobs later but god drat I don't miss that poo poo for a second.

I do miss the fresh smoked salmon, though.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

FYAD's leaking again, this time into GWS =/ I just want to post about food, and food related experiences.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would explain that one guy.

I have good news. The hospital job got back to me with a yes! So barring a reference being a dick which is unlikely, or some issue on the physical or drug test which is more unlikely. I'll be at a new job in about a month, full time, with benefits and all the good stuff. Feels good man.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

FYAD's leaking again, this time into GWS =/ I just want to post about food, and food related experiences.
It's GBS that's leaking from the burger thread, not fyad(fyad happened like a month ago)

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

That would explain that one guy.

I have good news. The hospital job got back to me with a yes! So barring a reference being a dick which is unlikely, or some issue on the physical or drug test which is more unlikely. I'll be at a new job in about a month, full time, with benefits and all the good stuff. Feels good man.

youre getting drug tested for a kitchen gig?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It is in a hospital... :shrug:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
For someone who doesn't work in the restaurant business, does drug testing there mean that your employer test you for drugs or that your employer test drugs with you?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Definitely the latter.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Drug testing is kinda common in corporate gigs. We don't, but I know Westin hotels do.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The funny thing is the hospital is probably more interested in whether he's a nicotine user than they are in anything illegal. What with the ACA forcing insurance costs down to a mere 1/4 of the average foodservice person's post-tax monthly income (with an easily affordable $1k deductible before they generously kick in 25% of any remaining costs, those downright charitable insurers!) they have to find SOME way of keeping in the black (which they surely can't do by offering insurance policies that are on the knife's edge of being outright highway robbery) and ensuring that your client's new employee never gets within ten feet of a nicotine waft is a good place to start.

I'm actually surprised to realize that even with three worker's comp injuries I've never been tested for a restaurant job.I always had the impression that a lot of places now require that if you have an injury, you'll be lucky to make it to the hospital without a lawyer reaching down your pants to milk a sample out of you.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Slight derail but, I know a nurse who works on the cancer floor of a big hospital in the city.

Apparently, one of her coworkers cracked out BF convinced her to steal powerful meds from the pill room. Welp, she got caught. Didn't own up to it for a few hours. They had to lock down the whole hospital, call in Sheriff Deputy's, etc etc.

She tearfully finally owned up to it and ruined her whole career...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Vorenus posted:

The funny thing is the hospital is probably more interested in whether he's a nicotine user than they are in anything illegal. What with the ACA forcing insurance costs down to a mere 1/4 of the average foodservice person's post-tax monthly income (with an easily affordable $1k deductible before they generously kick in 25% of any remaining costs, those downright charitable insurers!) they have to find SOME way of keeping in the black (which they surely can't do by offering insurance policies that are on the knife's edge of being outright highway robbery) and ensuring that your client's new employee never gets within ten feet of a nicotine waft is a good place to start.

I'm actually surprised to realize that even with three worker's comp injuries I've never been tested for a restaurant job.I always had the impression that a lot of places now require that if you have an injury, you'll be lucky to make it to the hospital without a lawyer reaching down your pants to milk a sample out of you.

All jobs should ban nicotine imo but people are too scared to do that.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

goodness posted:

All jobs should ban nicotine imo but people are too scared to do that.

All jobs should ban nicotine and make weed mandatory.

Actually from my two months in a kitchen weed is de facto mandatory but not default mandatory, probably wouldn't be the best idea in the world.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

Slight derail but, I know a nurse who works on the cancer floor of a big hospital in the city.

Apparently, one of her coworkers cracked out BF convinced her to steal powerful meds from the pill room. Welp, she got caught. Didn't own up to it for a few hours. They had to lock down the whole hospital, call in Sheriff Deputy's, etc etc.

She tearfully finally owned up to it and ruined her whole career...

There was a E/N post, or something similar about a nurse who raged about how unfair it was that he was kicked out of the program, and it turned out he hosed up someone's meds, and when the staff was confronted by the doctors said goon nurse didn't immediately admit it for a while then later did, and was summarily fired.

Tons of healthcare workers responded with a "you loving moron, you confess the second you make a mistake because that's the difference between life and death, you don't wait and hope someone covers for you" and loving savaged him for it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Vorenus posted:

The funny thing is the hospital is <snip>

It's really about safety. Hospitals serve staff sure, but they also serve some of the highest at risk clientele. They are just playing CYA.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Secret Spoon posted:

It's really about safety. Hospitals serve staff sure, but they also serve some of the highest at risk clientele. They are just playing CYA.

That was my assumption, yeah. It's a corporate hospital thing so they're doing it for safety. Same with the background check. Doesn't bother me none since my worst offenses are a speeding ticket and a minor accident. Not worried about the drug test either. Did one for my last job (the grocery store one, not fryer bitch at a small chain.)

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
10 AM—alarm goes off, I wake up with a start, read a message from my chef that he needs me to come cover tonight, and reply to my chef that I'm going to be late for the servesafe class that's starting as I am running out of the house. Detroit traffic was completely perfect and I got there in a mere 40 minutes. I then proceeded to sit through four hours of a manager reading—verbatim—from the course book. After lunch provided by the ever-struggling kitchen of my former restaurant within the group, we were given an hour to do the 90-question test. Fifteen minutes later I walked out of the first restaurant and went to work at my current restaurant, where we proceeded to struggle all night long because of odd miscommunications about how many halibut portions we had, and so on and so forth.

A thirteen hour day, and I'm hourly.

This beer tastes SO GOOD.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

There was a E/N post, or something similar about a nurse who raged about how unfair it was that he was kicked out of the program, and it turned out he hosed up someone's meds, and when the staff was confronted by the doctors said goon nurse didn't immediately admit it for a while then later did, and was summarily fired.

Tons of healthcare workers responded with a "you loving moron, you confess the second you make a mistake because that's the difference between life and death, you don't wait and hope someone covers for you" and loving savaged him for it.

Please tell me you have a link to this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sjonkel posted:

Please tell me you have a link to this.

Nah, I can't even remember if it was a dedicated thread or a derail in one of those "complain about my job" threads.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Manuel Calavera posted:

That was my assumption, yeah. It's a corporate hospital thing so they're doing it for safety. Same with the background check. Doesn't bother me none since my worst offenses are a speeding ticket and a minor accident. Not worried about the drug test either. Did one for my last job (the grocery store one, not fryer bitch at a small chain.)

They just go through that initial screening so they can say they did. The honestly wont care. It's not like smoking a little here or there makes you dangerous. They just have to worry about everything because an underdone piece of meat, even by the smallest degree, could wreck someones life who is on an immunosuppressant after a transplant. It's super corporate and you will have like 4 bosses and have to do stupid training videos or whatever. But they should pay for your parking and give timely wage increases and as you said benefits, so congratulations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not at all worried, and I can deal with training videos and the like. Good news too, they want me in asap. So I'm doing my physical, etc, next week before I head off on a vacation, and then I do my all day orientation the day after I get back. So I'll probably be starting there in 2-3 weeks I'd assume. Full time from the start, and a $.50 raise from the restaurant job are also quite nice.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I had to spend 15 minutes explaining to the new guy why you have to have properly chilled cookie dough going in the oven to get a not-poo poo cookie. He literally argued that "the oven is hot! The fat is going to melt anyway! Why does it matter if it's chilled?!" like a dozen different ways.

So I made 30 dozen goddamn cookies and made him clean the loving dishes cause idiots don't get to do fun things. The hostess called me a bitch and stole a bottle of whiskey for him and now he's on dishpit and she's fired.

Hotel work should not involve the number of morons I deal with daily. loving private goddamn hotel.

Grats on the hospital job Calavera! After the training videos it'll be an interesting and reasonable job. This is me being jealous.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^^ lol that sucks dude.

Anyways 2nd job is going great. Pretty much got it down. Only downside was tonight. Got all my tips. Did my checkout. Was stoked to be leaving with like $75 or whatever.

Well. After I paid back the shop I was left with $2....

I didn't bitch or moan or throw a fit. But something happened. Manager couldn't even figure it out. Said he would text me later if the register comes up over.

Just always sucks busting your rear end and then something somewhere happened and you leave with $2 lmao.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

The register was short and they docked your tips? Is that normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The register wasn't short. The manager didn't do his count yet so I'm waiting on that.

But that money just didn't disappear. I gave correct change to everyone. Didn't drop any money.

The last option would be theft but I don't think anyone would do that, and my book was out of sight...

But something loving happened. Thank god I didn't OWE the store any money or I might have had a meltdown.

• Locked thread