Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay this has been a magical journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Okay this has been a magical journey.

Best thread keeps gettin' better

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Two quick mods that I made for Long War! I've started actually loving around with UPK Modding, so you'll have to install these with PatcherGUI. It's really very simple to use.

Save as .txt files, open them in PatcherGUI. Make your desired changes, hit save, hit apply.

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/448/

These are just quick and dirty one line modifications so it's not super user friendly, but they won't cause any bugs.

One edits how many flamethrower charges you start off, the other edits the Officer's Command ability's cooldown.

Command Cooldown:
http://pastebin.com/Zw7P2Wj

The description/instructions are a bit long, but the tl;dr is replace 0A in AFTER Code with your desired cooldown*2+2 in hex.

For Flamethrower Charges that's way easier:

http://pastebin.com/tWMZJpJ

I was thinking of dling your previous long war adjustments, but was that one goon 'no text' bug a result of improper installation or was it something else? I really like your changes and love to give it a go.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Back Hack posted:

I was thinking of dling your previous long war adjustments, but was that one goon 'no text' bug a result of improper installation or was it something else? I really like your changes and love to give it a go.

Pretty sure that was improper installation/a corrupted LW install. I don't change around any .int files so it couldn't effect text in any event.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

.... Quaggan?

I think I've played too much Guild Wars 2. :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The aquatoids genetic experiments truly are monstrous.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

We need to be able to vote threads 10/5

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This is why we fight. :patriot:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nordick posted:

Training Roulette is great, I personally don't even wanna play without anymore. You'll end up with some... sub-optimal selections, but can also luck out and get some crazy OP combinations. With Long War some class-essential perks are still guaranteed so you won't end up with medics without any medic perks, but with vanilla EW it's more random after the first one.

Between Not Created Equally/Training Roulette/Hidden Potential, I have an Assault with Heat ammo, Sprinter, and Sentinel, with mid-90s Aim at Major.

And she's psionic with 98 Will :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have no idea how this game manages to bug out with LOS so much.

See that elite muton standing out in the open? My entire squad can't see him. They could see him when was hidding behind a tree, but after I blew that tree up he somehow became invisible to them. I only have sight of him because I mind controlled one of his pals.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Internet Kraken posted:

I have no idea how this game manages to bug out with LOS so much.

See that elite muton standing out in the open? My entire squad can't see him. They could see him when was hidding behind a tree, but after I blew that tree up he somehow became invisible to them. I only have sight of him because I mind controlled one of his pals.

Sometimes if you save and reload it fixes LoS issues

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Trees being blown up and loving with LOS is something I've encountered a few times, specifically.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011
Hey: does anyone know of a mod where you can pick up/swap your fallen comrade's item with yours? I miss that about the original.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lmao

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I just got my first EW vanilla win, around July. Having actually experienced the Meld stuff I kind of want to get back into it and start seriously exploiting the stuff, since I kind of ambled into fielding two MEC-3s and genemodding Annette and the Furies into psychic superhumans, and I'm interested in trying a game using a bigger MEC squad.

Insofar as MECs are concerned, am I right in my impressions that the best MEC Trooper bonus is going to be the Sniper one by a longshot, followed by maybe the Heavy one? Also, is it worth holding out on MEC production so I've got better-statted soldiers to convert, or should I not worry that much about optimising my statlines if I'm just going to be knocking over levels with railguns and grenades anyway?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Frankosity posted:

I just got my first EW vanilla win, around July. Having actually experienced the Meld stuff I kind of want to get back into it and start seriously exploiting the stuff, since I kind of ambled into fielding two MEC-3s and genemodding Annette and the Furies into psychic superhumans, and I'm interested in trying a game using a bigger MEC squad.

Insofar as MECs are concerned, am I right in my impressions that the best MEC Trooper bonus is going to be the Sniper one by a longshot, followed by maybe the Heavy one? Also, is it worth holding out on MEC production so I've got better-statted soldiers to convert, or should I not worry that much about optimising my statlines if I'm just going to be knocking over levels with railguns and grenades anyway?

Wait July?! I'm... in october and I haven't done alien base yet.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

PayingForTheView posted:

Hey: does anyone know of a mod where you can pick up/swap your fallen comrade's item with yours? I miss that about the original.

While we're adding things from the original, does anyone have a bugfix for the lovely interception music playing instead of the rad as hell song they should have used?

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Onmi posted:

Wait July?! I'm... in october and I haven't done alien base yet.

I went back to my save and I finished early November. I have no idea where I got July from. Derrrr.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

So, neither Zhang or Mina can see the floater RIGHT THERE.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Frankosity posted:

I'm on the final mission of my first EW Classic run and it's been easy as hell with 3 MEC 3s, all Assault-based Punchmechs with EMP. To me, using Assaults for MECs was a no brainer.

I basically got the opposite impression; Snipers seemed to make the worst MECs because MECs are all about mobility, toughness, and cool punchsplosions. Standing in one place to take more accurate shots seems both boring and a waste of the MEC's strengths.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 29, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

monster on a stick posted:

Between Not Created Equally/Training Roulette/Hidden Potential, I have an Assault with Heat ammo, Sprinter, and Sentinel, with mid-90s Aim at Major.

And she's psionic with 98 Will :allears:
In my first vanilla EW campaign I had a main medic who had all of the Field Medic, Revive and Savior perks. She was an Assault. :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

To think, the aliens want to destroy this

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nordick posted:

In my first vanilla EW campaign I had a main medic who had all of the Field Medic, Revive and Savior perks. She was an Assault. :v:

If Roulette is in X-Com 2, I will never know what normal progression is like because I will use it exclusively. It's awesome.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
...Can we please stop acting like the photoshops involving penis are a good thing here? It's destroying what little faith in humanity I have left. And if you don't have faith in humanity, why bother saving it from the aliens?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welcome to Something Awful. I hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
unchecked poster activity has caused mass hysteria in Games

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stephen9001 posted:

...Can we please stop acting like the photoshops involving penis are a good thing here? It's destroying what little faith in humanity I have left. And if you don't have faith in humanity, why bother saving it from the aliens?

Saving it from the aliens? My friend, the aliens ARE saving humanity.

Join ADVENT today.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saving it from the aliens? My friend, the aliens ARE saving humanity.

Join ADVENT today.

If people keep on breaking the forum rules (posting NSFW images is against the rules last I checked), I just might do that. As a spokesperson rather than a soldier mind.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You might be taking this more seriously than it warrants

always thought he was a bit of a dickhead

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Stephen9001 posted:

If people keep on breaking the forum rules (posting NSFW images is against the rules last I checked), I just might do that. As a spokesperson rather than a soldier mind.

lol

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
At least can we use spoiler tags around penis pics if goons are going to be in "gently caress The Man" mode?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp I'm about to have my final Firestorm, 3 squads of full colonels, I have 1 Assault with all Gene-mods, Still collecting meld for everyone, I've done all the reasearch and almost all the foundry. I think I'm finally almost ready to do the Alien Base.

By God when I'm done with this playthrough Earth wil be in the most capable hands ever.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

I'm on the final mission of my first EW Classic run and it's been easy as hell with 3 MEC 3s, all Assault-based Punchmechs with EMP. To me, using Assaults for MECs was a no brainer.

I basically got the opposite impression; Snipers seemed to make the worst MECs because MECs are all about mobility, toughness, and cool punchsplosions. Standing in one place to take more accurate shots seems both boring and a waste of the MEC's strengths.

Interesting! I had an Assault MEC on my team and it was the one that kept getting the poo poo dinged out of it; at least two missions off the top of my head where it went to 1-2 HP after a round of fire. OTOH, it would often be running in by itself, since my other MEC was a Sniper build, so that probably didn't help. I'd generally been using them as mobile artillery, setting things up so the enemy scatters into their range and bombarding them with two actions' worth of fire or throwing out grenades if they were out of standard weapons range. I'll have to try the Rush 'N' Crush approach next time.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

At least can we use spoiler tags around penis pics if goons are going to be in "gently caress The Man" mode?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I think they're more in "i'm gonna gently caress those snaketits" mode

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Krowley posted:

I think they're more in "i'm gonna gently caress those snaketits" mode

Well perhaps if it were a Bioware game :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Penis is evil! The Penis shoots Snakes, and makes new Life to poison the Earth with a plague of aliens, as never it was. But the Gun shoots Death and purifies the Earth of the filth of X-Rays. Go forth, and kill! Bradford has spoken.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Oh my god you could not be less of a sperg

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Stephen9001 posted:

*gives u a swirlie*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I own Xenonaughts but haven't played it since the very first version on Desura. Is it worth playing now or should I just go back to playing Open Xcom?

• Locked thread