Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Senjuro posted:

Even ruthless Emhyr can't survive Nilfgaardian politics in some of the endings, how long will Ciri last? As soon as she tries to do some good like abolishing slavery she could end up with a dagger in her back. Ciri is clearly happier in the witcher ending, isn't that what's ultimately most important?

If you get the "Ciri becomes Empress" ending, Emhyr not only survives politics, he ruthlessly destroys all his enemies. Ciri doesn't immediately become empress in that ending. Dandelion also states she's a kickass Empress because she has her Father's political acumen and Geralts respect for the common man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

edit: or the secret cow ending

don't you taunt me with cool things like this

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Levantine posted:

If you get the "Ciri becomes Empress" ending, Emhyr not only survives politics, he ruthlessly destroys all his enemies. Ciri doesn't immediately become empress in that ending. Dandelion also states she's a kickass Empress because she has her Father's political acumen and Geralts respect for the common man.

Not exactly. He the narration states "the woman had the necessary qualities" but being good at ruling doesn't mean she'll be any safer from assassination attempts and the like. You become a huge target no matter what and one disgruntled noble is all it can take to end you. Just the fact that Emhyr dying is even a possibility shows you how dangerous his job can be and his full names means "The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies" for christ's sake.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 29, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The only thing that bothers me about the best ending is that Ciri is a witcher in name only. She'll be hosed if she ever has to clean out a dark cave or if she gets poisoned or a deep wound.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Senjuro posted:

Not exactly. He the narration states "the woman had the necessary qualities" but being good at ruling doesn't mean she'll be any safer from assassination attempts and the like. You become a huge target no matter what and one disgruntled noble is all it can take to end you. Just the fact that Emhyr dying is even a possibility shows you how dangerous his job can be and his full names means "The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies" for christ's sake.

I agree, but the world is dangerous for everyone as far as I can tell. Really the only true thing about the world is it's dark and everyone is mortal no matter their station.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

The only thing that bothers me about the best ending is that Ciri is a witcher in name only. She'll be hosed if she ever has to clean out a dark cave or if she gets poisoned or a deep wound.

Uh except she's the most powerful being on the planet. She took on the crones by herself who were definitely the most dangerous monsters in the game, and repelled an army at Kaer Morhen, and by the end of the game is a teleporting scanhit goddess cutting roid elves in half by the dozen. I think she could handle a wyvern or some foglets.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Levantine posted:

I agree, but the world is dangerous for everyone as far as I can tell. Really the only true thing about the world is it's dark and everyone is mortal no matter their station.

True, but some have to sleep with one eye open and some don't. Some are on their path out of some sense of duty or obligation while others because it makes them happy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honestly the real reason that the ending where Ciri becomes a Witcher is the best one is because it lends itself to a sequel the most. Ciri can pick up from where Geralt leaves off, except she can teleport. I just imagine a Witcher 4 where, rather than picking between a few different areas in the northern realms, you get to pick between different worlds. I wouldn't mind going back to explore those places Geralt and Avellac'h visit. Plus she's a cool character and I like her so seeing her return as the protagonist would be a good thing in my book.

GrossMurpel posted:

Something a little weird to think about in regards to that is that Ciri will probably die before Geralt or Yennefer even if she lives to die of old age. Unless her source teleportation magic thing leads to longevity (and the devs could do that if they felt like), she burned out her ability to use regular magic and didn't undergo the Witcher mutations so she'll presumably live a normal lifespan.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Aurain posted:

It's just a flaw of the medium and the need for your choices to actually matter for the game to feel rewarding. Not to say that it will feel rewarding to everyone, it's going to have the opposite effect to some such as yourself, but that's how it's got to be.

If Geralt gave his opinion on how an event should end and the game ignores it, even when it does it rightfully, players would complain that their opinions and choices don't matter in the game and that offering them is a false choice.

Oh, obviously, I can't think of an option for the major plot points to behave differently and to have it not being begrudged by majority of players. It's a most meta problem and I wouldn't even think of it if not for the "you should let Ciri decide for herself", but you literally can't - no matter what you do, her fate will be changed accordingly.

I just don't think that getting her to meet Emhyr should be the trigger, because she should know that she has royal blood and that having greater power does make her more likely to help greater amount of people. And frankly, she can always just teleport away if she gets bored and/or wants to meet someone, the whole tearful goodbye did not really made that much sense to me - it would be hard to stay in touch, but Yennefer is said to always respond to letters. But no, once she crosses the Nilfgaardian borders she literally trapped for life. I do understand the political angle, at the very least - I think having Geralt and Yennefer stay there would ironically place greater amount of stress on her, since her political opponents would probably be not above trying to harm them to get to her or using them to get some kind of leverage; how and if such a plan would succeed is a different matter entirely, but one should always be careful

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Uh except she's the most powerful being on the planet. She took on the crones by herself who were definitely the most dangerous monsters in the game, and repelled an army at Kaer Morhen, and by the end of the game is a teleporting scanhit goddess cutting roid elves in half by the dozen. I think she could handle a wyvern or some foglets.

Who's to say she always manages to teleport away? A small nick by a forktail and she's done.
And the point about darkness still stands.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The ironic thing is that Ciri's regen is like a thousand times better than Geralt's in this game

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Best ending: the secret troll ending

FTFY

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

The ironic thing is that Ciri's regen is like a thousand times better than Geralt's in this game

Yeah, the endgame sequence where you play her just absolutely carving up Wild Hunt dudes was probably the easiest part of her game due in no small part to her incredible regen (and off the charts damage)

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

my mistake

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Some thoughts about an eventual sequel:

The sequel could be Ciri's Wild Adventures In Other Worlds where she can freely move between a few different open world maps in 3-4 different universes. Some of the quests would require you to find solutions in those other worlds as there doesn't exist one in the one you're in.

I'm not talking about crazy differences where you have an alien-ice planet and a steampunk waterworld or something as that would be pretty cringe-inducing - keep it in the theme with historical medieval Europe as one, wild hunt Elven world as the other and maybe something else. Also brining things from one world to the other could cause consequences (as with Ciri brining the plague to Europe) that would play nicely into the estabilished concept in the series.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Who's to say she always manages to teleport away? A small nick by a forktail and she's done.
And the point about darkness still stands.

About that one ending: I think it's being a bit literal to assume Ciri will just be a witcher full-time like Geralt and the lads. It seemed more like a way to say that she'd be traveling around on her own wherever she felt like, and maybe do a bit of occasional witchering on the side to make some cash or help people out.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

Some thoughts about an eventual sequel:

The sequel could be Ciri's Wild Adventures In Other Worlds where she can freely move between a few different open world maps in 3-4 different universes. Some of the quests would require you to find solutions in those other worlds as there doesn't exist one in the one you're in.

I'm not talking about crazy differences where you have an alien-ice planet and a steampunk waterworld or something as that would be pretty cringe-inducing - keep it in the theme with historical medieval Europe as one, wild hunt Elven world as the other and maybe something else. Also brining things from one world to the other could cause consequences (as with Ciri brining the plague to Europe) that would play nicely into the estabilished concept in the series.

I'd rather play that cyberpunk RPG they're cooking up than another Witcher game, honestly.

I mean, they kinda needed a Witcher 2 after ending Witcher 1 on a cliffhanger, and they kinda needed a Witcher 3 after making the Witcher 2 into essentially one giant 30 hour long prolouge, but they don't need to do a Witcher 4 now because this game has an actual ending, and honestly, it feels like the right place to end the series on. At the very least, anything they come up with is gonna feel tacked on unless they make it a prequel and set it during Geralt's time with the Wild Hunt or something.

Hell, at this point I'd rather see a Witcher 1 remake more than a sequel, since that game woulda been a revolution in 2002, dated by 2004, and released in 2007. It's seriously wonky and broken and nowhere near as good as either of the other two games. Witcher 2 is gonna hold up for years yet because it's still really loving good, and Witcher 3 is even better, somehow, so it would be cool to see them revamp the odd duck of the series and bring it up to par. But that's just me, and I'd still rather see something new instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They already said that Geralt is being retired as the main character

A game about Ciri would be cool. Another Witcher game would be cool.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man the quest structure still continues to amaze me. never thought the Cabaret mission would suddenly spiral into something different by the end of it.

"I've heard enough of this poo poo."

That death plus killing Whoreson were definitely the most satisfying kills in the game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Manatee Cannon posted:

They already said that Geralt is being retired as the main character

A game about Ciri would be cool. Another Witcher game would be cool.

I'd be happy with a new witcher protagonist and all new characters and settings. There are plenty of references to other witcher schools and whatnot so its not like they are married to the northern kingdoms. Might be cool to see some more environments then Fantasy Poland. Some deserts, maybe a jungle, carribean islands a la asscreed black flag, that kinda stuff.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I want Ciri as the primary protagonist in a series of genre games, starting with Cyberpunk. Then CDPR can make a Mass Effect style game where Ciri explores the universe with a motley crew of aliens.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I finished the drat game but all i can listen to is the soundtrack. The battle music in this game my god :vince:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
How can you not get loving pumped at 02:00 in this jesus christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3L0_ez0Dg4

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Skilleddk posted:

I finished the drat game but all i can listen to is the soundtrack. The battle music in this game my god :vince:
By the way - was some additional music added in one of the patches? The combat music used to be one theme for me and now it's like there are a couple more (a male singer is definitely something I haven't heard before) but I don't know maybe it's random?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skilleddk posted:

I've been making good use of it for my tabletop RPG battle music playlist. It's some seriously good poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Now I'm reading that CD Projekt hired the music composer after they heard his score for Dark Souls 2's trailer. He also did music for The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, he's really good.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Did anyone accidentally kill Dudu? How does Ciri react?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope one of the expansions straight up just is a Lambert sidestory where you're nothing but a dick to everyone and killing everything

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'd be happy with a new witcher protagonist and all new characters and settings. There are plenty of references to other witcher schools and whatnot so its not like they are married to the northern kingdoms. Might be cool to see some more environments then Fantasy Poland. Some deserts, maybe a jungle, carribean islands a la asscreed black flag, that kinda stuff.

They ought to do Zerrikania and have at least a token non-white character.

Also Ciri would be a major badass if she wore proper armor and boots instead of those ridiculous high heeled boots.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Did Sapkowski even write anything about Zerrikania or would they have to come up with stuff from scratch?

The games kind of give me the impression that if nothing else they are technologically quite a bit more advanced than the northerners/nilfgaards.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

From what I can tell Zerrikania is really good at horses and blowing stuff up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

eXXon posted:

Also Ciri would be a major badass if she wore proper armor and boots instead of those ridiculous high heeled boots.

i like when she goes to skellige and she's got this cute bundled up coat

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Avalerion posted:

Did Sapkowski even write anything about Zerrikania or would they have to come up with stuff from scratch?

The games kind of give me the impression that if nothing else they are technologically quite a bit more advanced than the northerners/nilfgaards.
It was only mentioned briefly in the books but there's a whole backstory written for Witcher RPG. Here's the page from the manual translated with Google translate (so it's really rough).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

eXXon posted:

There's some artwork of alternate costumes for Ciri floating around. The armor looks really good.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The fact that there's no plans for some sort of DLC Ciri campaign is heartbreaking, especially after seeing those armors.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I just finished collecting all the gwent cards and now I'm kind of sad I don't need to play it anymore. Stupid gwent, and the stupid awesome monsters deck being addictive, you're a video game, wtf :smith:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
wanna play gwent irl

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Crappy Jack posted:

The fact that there's no plans for some sort of DLC Ciri campaign is heartbreaking, especially after seeing those armors.

I dunno. Leather dress and open-toe sandals doesn't seem very useful to me. I mean, Ciri's default outfit isn't very tough, but at least it was practical (heeled boots aside, anyway).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

I just finished collecting all the gwent cards and now I'm kind of sad I don't need to play it anymore. Stupid gwent, and the stupid awesome monsters deck being addictive, you're a video game, wtf :smith:

Gwent is half the reason I endorse this game. It is a great game all on its own, and while I know I'd suck at the game against human opponents, I still sort of want the feature, since it is just so dang fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Moridin920 posted:

wanna play gwent irl

Gwent is very pay to win though, everyone would have the same decks!