Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Well, I just remember from a question at a book signing, that Justin will never come back. He's completely gone.

He's also said that Dresden Sr. was nothing more than a plain vanilla mortal which hasn't stopped people from believing he's Uriel or some other angel or something.

And, honestly, I can see some validity in those arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
http://www.orbitbooks.net/excerpt/the-annihilation-score/

Preview for the next book of The Laundry Files up

Warning it has spoilers for the end of book 5 in it

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.orbitbooks.net/excerpt/the-annihilation-score/

Preview for the next book of The Laundry Files up

Warning it has spoilers for the end of book 5 in it
Looks interesting.

I don't know why, but I am inordinately invested in Bob and Mo's relationship for how little airtime it's gotten.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Mars4523 posted:

Looks interesting.

I don't know why, but I am inordinately invested in Bob and Mo's relationship for how little airtime it's gotten.

Same.

And the bastard pushed back final resolution of it to book 8

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Finished White Night. This may be colored by enjoying my first audio book in the series, but I loved this book. Way more than Proven Guilty. The plot unfolded like an actual detective story, tracking a serial killer. And I love any story that involves Thomas this much. A lot of strong characters, and great moments.

When Elaine blew the wall off the hotel, overcoming the psychic attack, I literally cheered out loud. I loved the duel near the end, though I preferred it before the ghouls showed up, at which point it strained belief that they didn't really lose any allies. That being said, I never thought I'd mourn the loss of Lash, but it really hit me when Bob explained what she'd done. And the ending with Thomas' job was just amazing.

So Harry's making quite the name for himself. Especially amongst the Ghouls, what with them calling him Great One in the flashback. I can see that either working for him (they start being too afraid of him to move against him) or against him (he's public enemy number one).

So does Harry not have use of the Hellfire anymore?

drat, I loved this book. Again, though, Marsters reading it helped.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

thrawn527 posted:

He does not. I just finished listening to that one for the second time and I loved it too. Honestly I like Elaine and seeing her show up is great.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Yeah, Elaine's the best, and I wish she could show up more often.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah, Elaine's the best, and I wish she could show up more often.

I just hope she doesn't end up evil or fridged.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I just want to point out how insufferable I've become because of this series. I tell all my friends they need to read these books, repeatedly. I tell my wife about my favorite parts, without sufficient context, I'm sure. I've...looked up fan art...and enjoyed some of it.

I need help.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Finished White Night. This may be colored by enjoying my first audio book in the series, but I loved this book. Way more than Proven Guilty. The plot unfolded like an actual detective story, tracking a serial killer. And I love any story that involves Thomas this much. A lot of strong characters, and great moments.

When Elaine blew the wall off the hotel, overcoming the psychic attack, I literally cheered out loud. I loved the duel near the end, though I preferred it before the ghouls showed up, at which point it strained belief that they didn't really lose any allies. That being said, I never thought I'd mourn the loss of Lash, but it really hit me when Bob explained what she'd done. And the ending with Thomas' job was just amazing.

So Harry's making quite the name for himself. Especially amongst the Ghouls, what with them calling him Great One in the flashback. I can see that either working for him (they start being too afraid of him to move against him) or against him (he's public enemy number one).

drat, I loved this book. Again, though, Marsters reading it helped.

"Great one" is just the way ghouls refer to wizards. Remember that true real White Council wizards are effectively some of the biggest most dangerous people in the setting. We don't get to see a ton of 'lesser' magic-users so it can be hard to remember that Harry is actually a Big Fuckin' Deal even befoe he's Harry Dresden.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I just want to point out how insufferable I've become because of this series. I tell all my friends they need to read these books, repeatedly. I tell my wife about my favorite parts, without sufficient context, I'm sure. I've...looked up fan art...and enjoyed some of it.

I need help.

...one of us one of us one of us one of us...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

"Great one" is just the way ghouls refer to wizards.

I didn't know this, and it's rather helpful. Thanks.

Thunderfinger posted:

...one of us one of us one of us one of us...

You guys have dusters or something? Secret handshakes?

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Secret handshakes?

Do fist bumps count?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thunderfinger posted:

Do fist bumps count?

Given Dresden and Murphy, that works.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Error 404 posted:

Me too.

I'd rather see her as the star of her own spinoff series because she's awesome.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Error 404 posted:

Elaine being evil or at least evil-ish isn't so much foreshadowed as fore-batsignaled.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It seems clear that she'll end up in opposition to Dresden at some point, but I hope the plot stop short of making he flat out evil. Harry needs more antagonists like Morgan or the Merlin who are goodguys, but whose principles happen to place them at odds with Harry. Considering her history I can see Elaine being pretty uncool with a lot of the stuff Harry has gotten and is likely to get into.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Skippy McPants posted:

It seems clear that she'll end up in opposition to Dresden at some point, but I hope the plot stop short of making he flat out evil. Harry needs more antagonists like Morgan or the Merlin who are goodguys, but whose principles happen to place them at odds with Harry. Considering her history I can see Elaine being pretty uncool with a lot of the stuff Harry has gotten and is likely to get into.

Yeah, she's totally set up as a potential antagonist, I just hope it's circumstance, responsibility,or debt rather than 'lol I evil now'.

Like a well written version of Fool Moon's Harry vs Murph.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elaine is almost certainly going to be a big deal considering she is basically Opposite Dresden, right down to Butcher implying she's also got Harry's plot mojo to some degree or another. I don't know if she's gonna turn evil but she's gonna end up fighting him at least once.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Just the hats.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

thrawn527 posted:

Only a duster. Waiting for that staff to come in the mail so I can start clubbing jerk children government workers.

ImpAtom posted:

Elaine is almost certainly going to be a big deal considering she is basically Opposite Dresden, right down to Butcher implying she's also got Harry's plot mojo to some degree or another. I don't know if she's gonna turn evil but she's gonna end up fighting him at least once.

At this point, Elaine has been set up as Dresden's foil, so I wouldn't put it past her.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Probably just more situations like the one we saw in Summer Knight than directly lethal antagonism.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
Didn't she and Harry end up back on a good footing with one another at the end of White Night?

Am I forgetting something that would make Elaine hate him now?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Holyeskimo posted:

Didn't she and Harry end up back on a good footing with one another at the end of White Night?

Am I forgetting something that would make Elaine hate him now?

No, you're right, there's nothing to indicate that Elaine and Harry aren't on good terms with each other, aside from crackpot theories that she's actually Kumori or she really was on Justin's side. I'm not quite sure where everybody is getting the idea that Harry and Elaine wouldn't get along right now.

But then again, we haven't seen her for six books now, and a lot can change in six-ish years.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

A lot of it is just that Elaine has a lot of problems with 'the man' and Harry represents that entity. Not to mention now he also represents Winter, and she potentially still has ties/obligations to summer. Fix and Elaine vs Dresden and Molly.

E. On second thought I'm gonna put that last bit in spoilers as a just in case. Potential Cold Days fallout spoilers, though it's speculation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MildShow posted:

No, you're right, there's nothing to indicate that Elaine and Harry aren't on good terms with each other, aside from crackpot theories that she's actually Kumori or she really was on Justin's side. I'm not quite sure where everybody is getting the idea that Harry and Elaine wouldn't get along right now.

Was it not less that she was on his side, and more that Justin had been using black magic to enthral her and Harry was worried that some of it was left over? (Because I think he hadn't seen her for about 20 years when she shows up during the series, and had no idea what she could have been doing in the interim.)

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it not less that she was on his side, and more that Justin had been using black magic to enthral her and Harry was worried that some of it was left over? (Because I think he hadn't seen her for about 20 years when she shows up during the series, and had no idea what she could have been doing in the interim.)

I meant that Elaine was never enthralled in the first place, and that that was the excuse she gave to Harry. I personally don't buy it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

thrawn527 posted:

I need help.

It's okay. When I finished Ghost Story (which was the latest book at the time) I was so into it that I decided to learn how to pen and paper RPG just so I could continue having Dresden adventures while waiting for more Dresden, and currently GM a 3.5 year campaign that's still running in Traditional Games.

(More people should play DFRPG. It's fun.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 27, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MildShow posted:

I meant that Elaine was never enthralled in the first place, and that that was the excuse she gave to Harry. I personally don't buy it.

Ah, right, I see. Sorry about that, misunderstood your point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm betting it happens by the end of book 4.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
How far out do we usually find out release dates? Is it safe to say if we don't hear about the release for Peace Talks by the end of July that we won't get it this year?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Oroborus posted:

How far out do we usually find out release dates? Is it safe to say if we don't hear about the release for Peace Talks by the end of July that we won't get it this year?

With Cinder Spires coming out later this year, Peace Talks definitely won't be out until next year at the earliest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm betting it happens by the end of book 4.

I mean seriously fighting him, not "she sort of fights him but actually works to help him secretly."

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Oroborus posted:

You usually get the release date after the book has gone through the first round or two of editing. Since Jim hasn't finished it yet, and has given no indication that he's even close to doing so, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Spring 2016 is the earliest I would expect it, and probably the most likely time frame, though Summer/Fall wouldn't surprise me.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

MildShow posted:

With Cinder Spires coming out later this year, Peace Talks definitely won't be out until next year at the earliest.

I forgot about Cinder Spires coming out this year, so I guess we're talking next spring/summer for another dresden?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oroborus posted:

I forgot about Cinder Spires coming out this year, so I guess we're talking next spring/summer for another dresden?

Or maybe longer. The time between each book being published has been steadily increasing as the series goes on, though this isn't so bad as you might think, since the average length of the books is going up as well. Cold Days is almost twice as long as Storm Front.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

God bless.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MildShow posted:

This seemed hinted ambiguously in the first book she's in, but by the time the 2nd rolled around I got the distinct impression that Butcher had made up his mind and presented that as the truth to the reader. It's possible I'm not giving him enough credit as a writer, but he doesn't seem that subtle, so any future revelation that she was actually evil all along will probably come off as a forced plot twist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slanderer posted:

This seemed hinted ambiguously in the first book she's in, but by the time the 2nd rolled around I got the distinct impression that Butcher had made up his mind and presented that as the truth to the reader. It's possible I'm not giving him enough credit as a writer, but he doesn't seem that subtle, so any future revelation that she was actually evil all along will probably come off as a forced plot twist.

I think Butcher tends to rely on the fact that we're getting Harry's view of a character. He even plays with this when writing books using Molly/Murphy/Thomas. So if Harry believes it it gets presented as unambiguous and Harry seems to have made up his mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ImpAtom posted:

I think Butcher tends to rely on the fact that we're getting Harry's view of a character. He even plays with this when writing books using Molly/Murphy/Thomas. So if Harry believes it it gets presented as unambiguous and Harry seems to have made up his mind.

There's room for both is the thing. She could easily have been enthralled then, and still be evil now. Once you start down that Warlock path . . .