Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, plus Google Music's actual website has super-handy features like automatically detecting and tagging albums/fixing tags/embedding album art and such. I don't think it's really that much of a stretch to use the website to fix tags and such, then transfer them to your phone or tablet or whatever for offline listening. I mean, it's basically iTunes with just the added step of having it automatically upload your music to their servers.

Oh nice. They didn't have that early on and I ended up removing all of my music from it because it was easier to fix locally than using the web interface. This is good news, though I need it much less now that all my tags are perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Only lovely thing with Google Play music is it randomly replace your uploaded files with PG-13 versions of the songs, and will auto detect words like gently caress and just randomly mute the song in spots. Listening to the newest redman album and it hosed it up pretty bad.

Yet it hasn't touched my Cannibal Corpse albums.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cancelled my plex pass and uninstalled everything in favour of Emby last night. I've had nothing but issues streaming remotely with Plex and even locally to my devices over a 1000mbit wired network still have issues.

Emby works seamlessly. I'm streaming 30mbit to my nexus players wirelessly without a stumble.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jonathan posted:

Cancelled my plex pass and uninstalled everything in favour of Emby last night. I've had nothing but issues streaming remotely with Plex and even locally to my devices over a 1000mbit wired network still have issues.

Emby works seamlessly. I'm streaming 30mbit to my nexus players wirelessly without a stumble.

Cool.

[edit] Plex works seamlessly for me. I also share my server remotely with 3 families in 2 different states who have no issues streaming to their iPhones, iPads, Rokus, etc.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 27, 2015

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

teagone posted:

Cool.

[edit] Plex works seamlessly for me. I also share my server remotely with 3 families in 2 different states who have no issues streaming to their iPhones, iPads, Rokus, etc.

Yea, gotta second this. Sorry you're having issues, but I've had almost no issues in playback as a result of Plex. Once in a while I notice some downloads are oversaturating my connection or something, but I have an absolutely massive library with about 10,000 video files, 20,000 music files, and another 13,000 photos. I share it with in-laws, my parents, siblings, and a few friends. No issues. Streams to new phones, a first gen ipad, smart TV apps, Apple TV, chromecast, everything is great. It's a life saver, can't imagine what I'd do without it now.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
The only issue I have with okex at the moment is the absurd clusterfuck between Plex and amazon fire TV with 5.1 (aac ?) In an mkv container.

I wasn't able to get emby running well in parallel and roku, etc. I'll give it another try as I see a lot of updates lately.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

jonathan posted:

Only lovely thing with Google Play music is it randomly replace your uploaded files with PG-13 versions of the songs, and will auto detect words like gently caress and just randomly mute the song in spots. Listening to the newest redman album and it hosed it up pretty bad.

Yet it hasn't touched my Cannibal Corpse albums.

I thought they had stopped doing that, or it was a setting you turned off in the manager.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheScott2K posted:

I thought they had stopped doing that, or it was a setting you turned off in the manager.

I havent read anything to suggest it was ever fixed. It's been ongoing for a long time. However I havent done any streaming listening in a few weeks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Unacknowledged posted:

Yea, gotta second this. Sorry you're having issues, but I've had almost no issues in playback as a result of Plex. Once in a while I notice some downloads are oversaturating my connection or something, but I have an absolutely massive library with about 10,000 video files, 20,000 music files, and another 13,000 photos. I share it with in-laws, my parents, siblings, and a few friends. No issues. Streams to new phones, a first gen ipad, smart TV apps, Apple TV, chromecast, everything is great. It's a life saver, can't imagine what I'd do without it now.

I spoke to soon anyways, local network streaming is awesome but I'm having issues getting it to connect outside my network. uPNP has never worked well on this actiontec router.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Plex improved greatly when I got my own modem and a decent router.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

jonathan posted:

I spoke to soon anyways, local network streaming is awesome but I'm having issues getting it to connect outside my network. uPNP has never worked well on this actiontec router.

Emby has come a long way from the Media Browser days and there are some things it does better than Plex - on paper - but it has a long way to go, I think. Particularly with mobile apps. It took Plex a long time to get syncing right, for example, but these days it's something I rely on quite a bit when I take my tablet on road trips.

I have an Emby server set up and am a supporter so I can use the beta clients, but I'm guessing they have at least another 6-12 months of polish ahead of them to get to Plex quality/stability levels for things like mobile syncing. They also have a lot of Chromecast issues at the moment.

Everyone's situation is different; Plex still has its issues depending on what you run it on and what clients you use (as does Emby) so by all means try them both but it's not cut and dry that one is better than the other yet. Actually, for me it is: Plex :)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sellouts posted:

Plex improved greatly when I got my own modem and a decent router.

Quality of life improves when you do this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My wife and I have sex more often ever since we got an 802.11ac router

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

My wife and I have sex more often ever since we got an 802.11ac router

Makes sense since you're likely now spending less time dicking around with any streaming issues.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

She is far less pissed off at poo poo not working correctly tbh.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have Telus Optik DSL (50mbit). I don't get a choice as to which modem I use :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can you put it into bridge mode and run your own nat/router?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Plex has worked fine for me but I really like the way Emby integrates into Kodi clients natively with the library editing. No more losing watched tags or etc when I forget to back up the kodi clients. So far its been pretty smooth with Emby although the transcoding seems to use more CPU than Plex but I haven't tinkered with the settings yet. I am really impressed with the sheer amount of features included with Emby, particularly on the administration side of things. They give you pretty much everything and more that the overpriced plex pass included.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can you mobile sync to iOS yet?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

I think its just Android right now, thats all I can vouch for. It might be in one of the beta releases but I just started messing with this on the weekend so /shrug.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

jonathan posted:

Just set a static port, and forward it. This should remove most issues.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

sellouts posted:

What is mobile sync?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Unacknowledged posted:

What is mobile sync?

Syncing media to a mobile device.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

sellouts posted:

Yes, you can as long as you have Plex Pass. I've been syncing shows to my iPhone so I can use it offline at the gym.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

kri kri posted:

Syncing media to a mobile device.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yes, you can as long as you have Plex Pass. I've been syncing shows to my iPhone so I can use it offline at the gym.

Yea I was going to say I've been doing this for a while, ever since I bought my plex pass last summer before the price change. I believe they added it early 2014 for iOS, but I'm not sure on the date.

The only issue I have with that is I used to use iExplorer to pull off my transcoded media and play it on a computer, but since iOS 8.3's change with how apps are default to hide their assets when browsing through, I can't do that anymore. I doubt that Plex will enable that, but I don't think it's a major thing for them to change. Still holding out hope.

My major issue with the iOS app is the drat state of the app just getting lost after 10 minutes. If I'm listening to music and have an album playing, it's fine if I don't unlock my phone, but the moment I do if it's been playing for a little while, the app state refreshes and fires up like I just opened it for the first time, killing the stream and forcing me to re-browse and re-play again.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 29, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I am very well aware of that with Plex, I meant Emby.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

So, while I love Plex to death for all the things it can do, I'm starting to grow impatient waiting for a spoken word library format for audiobooks/dramas/podcasts. Does Emby work for those, or does anyone know of another media library app that can handle syncing of files/position in the way Plex does, ideally running on a Linux (Ubuntu) server, that supports Android & Windows clients?

...I really just wish Plex would add an audio show library already. It wouldn't need to pull media info or anything, just work like the "Home Videos" library does now but for audio, syncing and remembering played/unplayed & position.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have my Plex server on my main PC and the Media Centre version on my loungeroom HTPC/TV. Is this a common setup for other people?

I use one of those Logitech Dinovo Mini devices (i think that's the name) and it does my head in that I'm not able to use a mouse pointer and need to use the "remote" mode on the keyboard instead (having to click the direction buttons to navigate the menu). Is there a way to enable a "mouse pointer mode" on Plex Media Centre?

Also, I can't for the life of me get the sync function to work (transferring movies locally to a tablet so I can watch on my commute). I'll leave questions about that for another day though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xcore posted:

I have my Plex server on my main PC and the Media Centre version on my loungeroom HTPC/TV. Is this a common setup for other people?

I use one of those Logitech Dinovo Mini devices (i think that's the name) and it does my head in that I'm not able to use a mouse pointer and need to use the "remote" mode on the keyboard instead (having to click the direction buttons to navigate the menu). Is there a way to enable a "mouse pointer mode" on Plex Media Centre?

Also, I can't for the life of me get the sync function to work (transferring movies locally to a tablet so I can watch on my commute). I'll leave questions about that for another day though.

Yes, that is likely the most common setup, though ideally you'd want a dedicated machine to be your Plex Server and not your daily driver PC that you use for gaming, work, etc.

The Plex Media Centre Home Theater software for HTPCs is meant to be used with an actual remote. Buy a Flirc and pair an IR remote you have laying around your home with your HTPC. Alternatively buy any one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=USB+IR+remote+keyboard

[edit]
Or one of these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Media+Center+Remote&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AMedia+Center+Remote

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Yes, that is likely the most common setup, though ideally you'd want a dedicated machine to be your Plex Server and not your daily driver PC that you use for gaming, work, etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there a particular reason for this beyond "dedicated machines are dedicated to one job"? Like is there a setup/performance/accessibility benefit?

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Video transcoding is heavy work and will probably impact anything else you're trying to do at the same time. And the obvious one is if you turn your computer off, Plex is gone. Neither of these may be an issue if you are the sole user, but a lot of people share plex servers.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ali Aces posted:

So, while I love Plex to death for all the things it can do, I'm starting to grow impatient waiting for a spoken word library format for audiobooks/dramas/podcasts. Does Emby work for those, or does anyone know of another media library app that can handle syncing of files/position in the way Plex does, ideally running on a Linux (Ubuntu) server, that supports Android & Windows clients?

...I really just wish Plex would add an audio show library already. It wouldn't need to pull media info or anything, just work like the "Home Videos" library does now but for audio, syncing and remembering played/unplayed & position.

Since you're running on ubuntu, couldn't you just have a cron that looks for new audio books in folder A, and then re-wraps them using ffmpeg into an MP4 container and puts them in folder B that plex scans as movies?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Qwijib0 posted:

Since you're running on ubuntu, couldn't you just have a cron that looks for new audio books in folder A, and then re-wraps them using ffmpeg into an MP4 container and puts them in folder B that plex scans as movies?

:goonsay:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

porksmash posted:

Video transcoding is heavy work and will probably impact anything else you're trying to do at the same time. And the obvious one is if you turn your computer off, Plex is gone. Neither of these may be an issue if you are the sole user, but a lot of people share plex servers.

OK cool, that makes sense. Yeah, my wife doesn't watch much stuff and I'm the only other user so I wouldn't be on my server machine if I was watching something anyway. And yeah, it hardly ever gets turned off.

Which system does the video encoding if the video file is on a network location? My HTPC has a bunch of content that is in my Plex library. If I'm watching something on the HTPC via Plex is it playing locally or is it going to my server machine, being transcoded and then getting pushed back to the Media Centre app?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex forums were hacked, attacker asking for bitcoins or else he will release the db.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/3bstq2/plex_forums_hacked/

Shouldn't mean much to anyone unless you did something dumb like use the same username/pass elsewhere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xcore posted:

Which system does the video encoding if the video file is on a network location? My HTPC has a bunch of content that is in my Plex library. If I'm watching something on the HTPC via Plex is it playing locally or is it going to my server machine, being transcoded and then getting pushed back to the Media Centre app?

Since your Plex platform is all local, and between two PCs, there's likely no transcoding going on and you're just Direct Playing everything. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250387-Streaming-Media-Direct-Play-and-Direct-Stream

FCKGW posted:

Plex forums were hacked, attacker asking for bitcoins or else he will release the db.

Shouldn't mean much to anyone unless you did something dumb like use the same username/pass elsewhere.

Welp, that sucks.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

They had all sorts of weird spam issues on their forums, surprised this took so long.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

I've tried this. Plex does not actually handle this well.

It will not play an MP4 file that doesn't have a video stream in it; it just errors out. I tried pointing to a still image and making a video stream with that. It works in some clients, but not others. The worst thing though is, even at best, it's going to keep the display on on my phone while playing it, getting hot in my pocket, jumping around when it interprets random jiggling as screen taps, and of course draining the battery.

The whole converting-to-video thing really doesn't work.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ali Aces posted:

I've tried this. Plex does not actually handle this well.

It will not play an MP4 file that doesn't have a video stream in it; it just errors out. I tried pointing to a still image and making a video stream with that. It works in some clients, but not others. The worst thing though is, even at best, it's going to keep the display on on my phone while playing it, getting hot in my pocket, jumping around when it interprets random jiggling as screen taps, and of course draining the battery.

The whole converting-to-video thing really doesn't work.

It was a silly idea, and plexes selling point is 'just works' so hopefully it's supported properly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

kri kri posted:

They had all sorts of weird spam issues on their forums, surprised this took so long.

Reddit posters basically say plex forum security is garbage, in addition to near total lack of moderation.