Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Scalia has the EPA case. 5-4, DC is reversed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Fair Housing is a pretty big case

Yeah, but it was unexpected primarily because of this Court's racial issue jurisprudence.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

And I would add Obamacare

Nah, the unexpected part of Obamacare was that Kennedy flipped, not the outcome.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

Fair Housing is a pretty big case

It was, but so was the Voting Rights Act. After how this court ruled on that, it wasn't exactly out of nowhere to expect they'd rule similarly bad on Fair Housing.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Logikv9 posted:

A never ending train of :unsmith:

And back to :smith: with Utility Air being written by Scalia.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Torrannor posted:

Let's not pretend that it's only the Republicans who use gerrymandering, the Democrats just don't have as many opportunities.

Well before 1960 a lot of them couldn't vote in the south

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Scalia, again posted:

Normally, having arrived at that conclusion, I would express no opinion on the merits unless my vote was necessary to enable the Court to produce a judgment. In the present case, however, the majority’s resolution of the merits question (“legislature” means “the people”) is so outrageously wrong, so utterly devoid of textual or historic support, so flatly in contradiction of prior Supreme Court cases, so obviously the willful product of hostility to districting by state legislatures, that I cannot avoid adding my vote to the devastating dissent of the Chief Justice.

He's just full of gems

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
"5-4, gently caress you" part 2 for today.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Scalia is a bad justice with bad opinions and a one track note and I hate him

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The EPA must consider cost before deciding whether regulation is necessary. They can't first decide it is necessary, and then consider cost among the alternatives.

In other words, "this poo poo is too expensive to do at all" has to be a possible option.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I don't even mind Alito and Roberts and it's good to have varied views on the bench

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crappy for the EPA, though hopefully they can account for costs by simply invoking some economic externality argument of health impact? Does anyone here know more about how far the EPA has to go to "account for cost of compliance"?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Northjayhawk posted:

Iowa has a commission too, but no one cares because they only have 4 seats

Yes but that was set up by the legislature, not through a citizen-initiative. This case only really impacted the latter, and only Arizona and California have done so that way.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Scalia is a bad justice with bad opinions and a one track note and I hate him

He's at least fun to hate-read

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Northjayhawk posted:

The EPA must consider cost before deciding whether regulation is necessary. They can't first decide it is necessary, and then consider cost among the alternatives.

In other words, "this poo poo is too expensive to do at all" has to be a possible option.

This line of reasoning makes sense from a business perspective (which is why I'm surprised Roberts isn't writing the opinion) as some industries could simply go under with excessive regulations

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
It doesn't necessarily mean the utilities are off the hook, the EPA just has to go back to square one, and do all the paperwork and have the hearings in a way that satisfies the court. (Unless a republican is president, in which case they find something else to occupy their time)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

alnilam posted:

Crappy for the EPA, though hopefully they can account for costs by simply invoking some economic externality argument of health impact? Does anyone here know more about how far the EPA has to go to "account for cost of compliance"?

I haven't read the full opinion but health is definitely a concern and they can factor in increased costs of healthcare as a savings I would imagine

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Northjayhawk posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean the utilities are off the hook, the EPA just has to go back to square one, and do all the paperwork and have the hearings in a way that satisfies the court. (Unless a republican is president, in which case they find something else to occupy their time)

Yeah if that's all they have to do I'm not really seeing an effective status quo change.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man, Scalia and Utility Air loving things up two terms in a row. And largely about the same issue!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
A lot of the utilities have apparently read the writing on the wall and knew they would eventually lose even if they won this case, and have started to get on with it and voluntarily comply with the EPA's orders. Not many of the utilities in this case are still actively resisting.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Northjayhawk posted:

It's actually not a terribly concerning opinion when it comes to EPA ability to regulate - it just changes the procedure up a bit.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Kalman posted:

It's actually not a terribly concerning opinion when it comes to EPA ability to regulate - it just changes the procedure up a bit.

The opinion:

"We need not and do not hold that the law unambiguously required the Agency, when making this preliminary estimate, to conduct a formal cost-benefit analysis in which each advantage and disadvantage is assigned a monetary value. It will be up to the Agency to decide (as always, within the limits of reasonable interpretation) how to account for cost."

It essentially changes nothing but how they put the value on things

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

Yeah if that's all they have to do I'm not really seeing an effective status quo change.

Well I would imagine it will add a "you didn't consider the costs correctly" route of attack against any proposed or implemented regulations.

Those sorts of economic impact studies are like environmental impact studies in that you can always find someone to make a study which coincidentally shows that what you want to happen is the only thing that should happen.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

Well I would imagine it will add a "you didn't consider the costs correctly" route of attack against any proposed or implemented regulations.

Those sorts of economic impact studies are like environmental impact studies in that you can always find someone to make a study which coincidentally shows that what you want to happen is the only thing that should happen.

It sounded like they do these studies anyway, just after the fact instead of part of an initial proposal.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Sometimes, Gawker rivals SCOTUSBlog for insightful commentary.

"Showing a persistence and work ethic she never mustered in her lackluster high school career, University of Texas reject and professional white martyr Abigail Fisher has convinced the Supreme Court to give her one more chance to blame affirmative action for her personal failures."

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

"Showing a persistence and work ethic she never mustered in her lackluster high school career, University of Texas reject and professional white martyr Abigail Fisher has convinced the Supreme Court to give her one more chance to blame affirmative action for her personal failures."

:iceburn: of the day.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Mostly because the European Union has banned exporting these drugs to the USA if they are used to kill people.

If there's demand, why isn't it produced here? The EU didn't exactly ban those drugs yesterday.

Anyways, if we're going to execute people we should use the guillotine, the quickest and most painless way, but the French Revolution gave it a bad name.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Charlz Guybon posted:

If there's demand, why isn't it produced here? The EU didn't exactly ban those drugs yesterday.

Anyways, if we're going to execute people we should use the guillotine, the quickest and most painless way, but the French Revolution gave it a bad name.

Probably the same reason why we don't make flu vaccines in America anymore, I assume. The real money is in making the latest and greatest wonder-drug, not wasting time with boring necessary medicine with very small profit margins and no patent protection. If the EU execution ban created a very large demand maybe it would be worth it, but its not like we have hundreds of thousands of prisoners waiting to die.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

It has nothing to do with the French revolution. People just don't like the look of it because a head getting chopped off is a lot more gruesome than a painless* death by just falling asleep**, as in lethal injection. Lethal injection just feels so much better to people who don't want to think too deeply about execution, which is most of us.

* May not be painless
** May not actually be asleep when lethal drugs administered

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If only there were some method that is as cheap, easy, safe, humane, certain, and painless as nitrogen gas suffocation.

I guess we'll just have to keep torturing people until someone thinks of one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Where do you live, if that's OK too ask? It's the only term I've heard outside an academic setting, and I've never gotten the sense it's being used as a pejorative.

Just curious whether it's a regional thing, or if it's time to excise another word from my vocabulary.

The northeastern US, but I learned the pejorative stuff from Anthropology courses.

E: Specifically, we spent a long time in a few of my courses looking at a case study on the !Kung, a San subgroup in the Kalahari. The ! is a tongue click.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mdemone posted:

If only there were some method that is as cheap, easy, safe, humane, certain, and painless as nitrogen gas suffocation.

I guess we'll just have to keep torturing people until someone thinks of one.

Yes but then people wouldn't be SUFFERINGS for their crimes! I heard they actually get a euphoria before they pass away and we can't have that!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Northjayhawk posted:

Probably the same reason why we don't make flu vaccines in America anymore, I assume. The real money is in making the latest and greatest wonder-drug, not wasting time with boring necessary medicine with very small profit margins and no patent protection. If the EU execution ban created a very large demand maybe it would be worth it, but its not like we have hundreds of thousands of prisoners waiting to die.
The US manufacturers blocked the usage of their drugs for executions.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Florida Betty posted:

It has nothing to do with the French revolution. People just don't like the look of it because a head getting chopped off is a lot more gruesome than a painless* death by just falling asleep**, as in lethal injection. Lethal injection just feels so much better to people who don't want to think too deeply about execution, which is most of us.

* May not be painless
** May not actually be asleep when lethal drugs administered

I'm infuriated by Glossip, ofc, but it wasn't really surprising. This court had already established their standard that infinite cruelty is entirely constitutional unless it is also unusual and painful, botched lethal injection is not unusual.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
So am I right in thinking the execution decision is pretty much squarely on the lawyers pushing the case not actually caring about the case in question (regarding the specific drugs and their cruelty) and just using it as an excuse to try and ban executions completely?

It sounds like they could have easily gotten the drug ruled unconstitutional by actually arguing in favour of one of the other more humane methods of execution, but they explicitly avoided doing so and stuck to methods that weren't available?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yes but then people wouldn't be SUFFERINGS for their crimes! I heard they actually get a euphoria before they pass away and we can't have that!

The problem is that the prisons do not have the discretion to choose whatever method they think is the best. The method of execution is written into the law, and it is more difficult for a state legislature to come together, debate, vote on, and change the law than it is to try to defend it in court. (The other side knows this too, which is why they work so hard to get whatever happens to be on the books declared illegal) For no real logical reason, the people feel better about injections that put you to sleep than something that could be creepily described as a "gas chamber".

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

The Warszawa posted:

So good.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

So am I right in thinking the execution decision is pretty much squarely on the lawyers pushing the case not actually caring about the case in question (regarding the specific drugs and their cruelty) and just using it as an excuse to try and ban executions completely?

It sounds like they could have easily gotten the drug ruled unconstitutional by actually arguing in favour of one of the other more humane methods of execution, but they explicitly avoided doing so and stuck to methods that weren't available?

It probably wouldn't have made a difference. The fact that they lawyers didn't present an alternative method of execution was sufficient to rule midazolam okay, but it wasn't the only reason. They also took a look at the district court's ruling that midazolam was effective and determined that it was not a clear error, which was also sufficient by itself to rule midazolam okay.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard

Northjayhawk posted:

The problem is that the prisons do not have the discretion to choose whatever method they think is the best. The method of execution is written into the law, and it is more difficult for a state legislature to come together, debate, vote on, and change the law than it is to try to defend it in court. (The other side knows this too, which is why they work so hard to get whatever happens to be on the books declared illegal) For no real logical reason, the people feel better about injections that put you to sleep than something that could be creepily described as a "gas chamber".

Depends on the state. Utah was tired of trying to get the stuff for lethal injection, so the legislature got together and brought back the firing squad. After reading about the process, that if you're going to be a fan of the death penalty, it is probably a little more humane than the lethal injections. The Legislature's reasoning was that Lethal Injection will be the primary method, but they want a backup in the event they can't get the meds. Utah also used to give the death row inmates their choice of execution, not that it makes it any better. If there was one thing DnD ever caused me to rethink an issue, it is the Death Penalty.

http://time.com/3742818/utah-firing-squad-execution-lethal-injection/ posted:

There have been at least two firing squad executions that could be considered botched. One occurred in 1879, when Wallace Wilkerson moved just enough for the executioners to miss his heart. Another came in 1951 when gunmen misfired and hit inmate Eliseo Mares in the stomach and hip. But firing squads appear to have a much better track record than lethal injection. Last year, three lethal injection executions were considered botched.

“The death probably happens within seconds,” says Dr. Jonathan Groner, a pediatric surgeon at The Ohio State University who studies executions. “There is no way to measure the pain, but there’s anecdotal evidence that it’s less painful.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/24/why-utahs-gruesome-firing-squads-might-not-be-such-a-bad-alternative/ posted:

“Lethal injection, which has the veneer of medical acceptability, has far greater risks of cruelty to a condemned person,” Fordham University Law School professor Deborah Denno told the Associated Press in 2010. She called the firing squad a “dignified execution.”

Denno should know. She spent years studying varying execution methods, trying to determine which one is the best. While that’s difficult to answer, it’s more apparent which ones are the worst. Electrocution is a gruesome way to go. So are stoning and hanging, which she says “risked being too long and cruel. Same goes for beheading. Worst is gassing.

“In 1992, for example, Donald Harding’s eleven-minute execution and suffocating pain were so disturbing for witnesses that one reporter cried continuously, two other reporters ‘were rendered walking vegetables for days,’ the attorney general ended up vomiting, and the prison warden claimed he would resign if forced to conduct another lethal gas execution,” she wrote in 2007 in the Fordham Law Review. “While the firing squad has not been systematically evaluated, and may even be the most humane of all methods, it has always carried with it the baggage of its brutal image and roots.”

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ZenVulgarity posted:

This line of reasoning makes sense from a business perspective (which is why I'm surprised Roberts isn't writing the opinion) as some industries could simply go under with excessive regulations

Would someone please think of the asbestos industry?

The federal government does not exist to subsidize failed businesses. The public costs of coal based power plants are arguably much higher than the profits you can derive from them. Yeah, it's a big industry but you don't shouldn't get to just externalize the burdensome costs like cancer.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

teejayh posted:

Depends on the state. Utah was tired of trying to get the stuff for lethal injection, so the legislature got together and brought back the firing squad. After reading about the process, that if you're going to be a fan of the death penalty, it is probably a little more humane than the lethal injections. The Legislature's reasoning was that Lethal Injection will be the primary method, but they want a backup in the event they can't get the meds. Utah also used to give the death row inmates their choice of execution, not that it makes it any better. If there was one thing DnD ever caused me to rethink an issue, it is the Death Penalty.

Is there seriously a brutal image of the firing squad here, especially compared to injection screw-ups lately? Americans loving love guns. I loving love me some guns. If I had to choose how to be executed, it'd be a carbon monoxide/nitrogen chamber followed by the honorable Samuel Colt. Keep that electricity and needle poo poo far away from me.