Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nosre posted:

Saw this this morning; I'd never heard of this particularly awful part of our prison-industrial complex, but apparently there was another good result in Johnson v. United States: http://www.occupydemocrats.com/supreme-court-strikes-down-key-portions-of-federal-3-strikes-sentencing-laws/

I'd have to look into this more but I think that this article suffers from a basic problem: the ACCA is a federal law and people sentenced under it would go to federal prison, not state prison. The for-profit prisons with minimums are state prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Franco Potente posted:

They have 24 seats to defend, but most of them are pretty easily defensible. There are some weak spots (PA, OH, WI, IL, and, I would argue, NH), but outside of those and a couple other possible places (NC and FL), the seats belong to states no longer friendly to the Democrats. Short of another major Democratic wave, I imagine their net gain is anywhere between 3-5. Fortunately for the Ds, the only weak seats they need to defend are CO and NV, and those are looking much better than they were a few months ago.

The Democrats recruited a good candidate in MO (the current Secretary of State), so I'd rate that higher than NC at the moment where they have nobody and their biggest prospects have declined. They're trying to pull Heath Schuler out of retirement. Both states are long shots.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

As a practical matter, all the Democrats need to do is get to 50 (assuming a Clinton win) because the only thing that will really matter is the ability to get nominees confirmed. The more the better, obviously, but they badly need to be able to avoid a nomination blockade.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I would probably comb my hair back. Why? Because this thing is too hard to comb. I wouldn't have time, because if I were in the White House, I'd be working my rear end off." ~ Donald Trump.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

So, the next time the pendulum swings back to Conservatives having lovely victories, I know what I'll be chugging for solace.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I would probably comb my hair back. Why? Because this thing is too hard to comb. I wouldn't have time, because if I were in the White House, I'd be working my rear end off." ~ Donald Trump.

If he worked his rear end off, what would be left of him?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AsInHowe posted:

If he worked his rear end off, what would be left of him?

His mouth and his hairpiece.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
SCOTUS has agreed to again hear that bullshit Texas affirmative action case. Kagan has recused herself

Reminder that Fisher was a really lovely student who honestly wouldn't have made the cut at most public universities

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

5-4 the drug can still be used in death penalty. Ginsberg and Breyer would reconsider constitutionality of death penalty

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Holy poo poo this death penalty opinion is ridiculous. Not on the decision rendered, but Scalia's ranting. Since this isn't being "drawn and quartered" then it's clearly ok. What the hell? And then angry antonin starts declaring Breyer is rejecting the Enlightenment because Breyer was willing to consider whether it was cruel and unusual rather than letting democracy decide.

What the hell?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scalia is just a bad person it's seems to really be that simple. Like if he hadn't gone into law he'd be the guy at the end of the street with the overgrown yard that everyone knows is torturing animals in his basement.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

It might be worth voting for Trump just to see this.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

Holy poo poo this death penalty opinion is ridiculous. Not on the decision rendered, but Scalia's ranting. Since this isn't being "drawn and quartered" then it's clearly ok. What the hell? And then angry antonin starts declaring Breyer is rejecting the Enlightenment because Breyer was willing to consider whether it was cruel and unusual rather than letting democracy decide.

What the hell?

It's not just that: as the SCOTUS thread notes, it basically legalizes the death penalty for another generation because a method of punishment can only be "cruel and unusual" relative to other death penalty punishments. Since they didn't show any other less cruel way to be killed they just have to suck it up and be killed painfully I guess!

Also for all you game/software devs out there: Wine is now officially illegal in the U.S. since SCOTUS refused to take Oracle v. Google

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Sotomayor compared lethal injection to being burned alive in hers, and now Scalia is reading a concurrence to rebut Breyer's reading of his (Breyer's) dissent

Seems like emotions got real hot in this one

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
But it sounds like Arizona comes out of today as a surprise win: RBG writing a 5-4.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS, with whom JUSTICE SCALIA,
JUSTICE THOMAS, and JUSTICE ALITO join, dissenting.

Just over a century ago, Arizona became the second
State in the Union to ratify the Seventeenth Amendment.
That Amendment transferred power to choose United
States Senators from “the Legislature” of each State,
Art. I, §3, to “the people thereof.” The Amendment resulted
from an arduous, decades-long campaign in which
reformers across the country worked hard to garner approval
from Congress and three-quarters of the States.
What chumps! Didn’t they realize that all they had to
do was interpret the constitutional term “the Legislature”
to mean “the people”? The Court today performs just such
a magic trick with the Elections Clause. Art. I, §4. That
Clause vests congressional redistricting authority in “the
Legislature” of each State. An Arizona ballot initiative
transferred that authority from “the Legislature” to an
“Independent Redistricting Commission.” The majority
approves this deliberate constitutional evasion by doing
what the proponents of the Seventeenth Amendment
dared not: revising “the Legislature” to mean “the people.”

Wow the conservatives are pissy this term.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

But it sounds like Arizona comes out of today as a surprise win: RBG writing a 5-4.

:stare: I would have put money in that not only going against re districting commissions, but almost unanimous against it. It seems like a slam dunk

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Fried Chicken posted:

Sotomayor compared lethal injection to being burned alive in hers, and now Scalia is reading a concurrence to rebut Breyer's reading of his (Breyer's) dissent

Seems like emotions got real hot in this one

The conservatives on the bench are ultra pissy this term

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Fried Chicken posted:

What the hell?
Is Scalia saying the standard for whether a punishment is "cruel and unusual" is only whether or not a democratic society would allow it to occur? What's the point of having it in the Constitution if "democracy" takes care of the issue on its own?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Scalia is just a bad person it's seems to really be that simple. Like if he hadn't gone into law he'd be the guy at the end of the street with the overgrown yard that everyone knows is torturing animals in his basement.

Scalia prefers to execute criminals by flaying.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

ZenVulgarity posted:

The conservatives on the bench are ultra pissy this term

I think because a lot of what they have been trying to accomplish by the judicial system for the past 20 years keeps not going their way and if that's the case suddenly the only option to get their policy enacted is the legislature. That is not according to plan.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And in a 5-4 decision I hope you like drinking Mercury. And the warming of the planet because it's pretty clear the CO2 restrictions will be next under this

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

And in a 5-4 decision I hope you like drinking Mercury. And the warming of the planet because it's pretty clear the CO2 restrictions will be next under this

It gave the agency the ablity to determine how to take costs into account, if I'm reading the live blog correctly.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

T

Inglonias posted:

It gave the agency the ablity to determine how to take costs into account, if I'm reading the live blog correctly.

This is what I'm reading from the opinion as well

Really this is a balance of business ownership and environmental impact that has been debated back and forth forever now, it just seems to be an overly cautious approach that you can't doom businesses via regulation without determining the costs

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Inglonias posted:

To me that just screams "regulatory capture". It's hard to fake studies of "oh no this is perfectly safe", it is real easy to say "this would inconvenience our business model"

But I'm in a state with infamously poor water quality that helped lead the charge on this case so...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Inglonias posted:

It's something that probably should be done anyway and something that won't be done if a Republican is in charge.

So it's about the most tame thing you could expect out of a Scalia opinion.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Fried Chicken posted:

To me that just screams "regulatory capture". It's hard to fake studies of "oh no this is perfectly safe", it is real easy to say "this would inconvenience our business model"

But I'm in a state with infamously poor water quality that helped lead the charge on this case so...

Do you live in that state where all those mutant frogs were originally found?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Was the arguments for giving the epa teeth anything other than repeating Tetraethyl lead for the entire time?

Actually I wonder if Scalia can be defeated by making him breath in the fumes from burning that poo poo...

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

ComradeCosmobot posted:

poo poo, that's a big loving win.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The EPA ruling is unfortunate, but it isn't super outlandish from a legal perspective. Its just going to be an even more expensive and slow endeavor to reduce pollutant emissions, which need to be quickly brought under control once it is understood how detrimental they can be.

The death penalty ruling is pretty awful. I'd take a guillotine over those drugs if I was to be executed.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So what's the tally of black churches burned at this point?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Also for all you game/software devs out there: Wine is now officially illegal in the U.S. since SCOTUS refused to take Oracle v. Google

No, it isn't. That's not what Oracle v. Google held, and Wine isn't illegal or even in any real danger of being held to violate copyright.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SquadronROE posted:

Five by man, two by God.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

mdemone posted:

Five by man, two by God.

Wow, 5 is quite a few.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kalman posted:

No, it isn't. That's not what Oracle v. Google held, and Wine isn't illegal or even in any real danger of being held to violate copyright.

This thread thought that Steam was outlawed last time the Oracle v. Google decision came in, so you can't really take anything they say as being of value. :v:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

SquadronROE posted:

Wow, 5 is quite a few.

Edit forgot what thread I was in

All churches matter though tbh. Clearly attacks on Christianity

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kalman posted:

The ABI part, no. But compiling against Wine instead of against Windows would be much shakier.

EDIT: The structure, sequence and organization of an API is copyrightable. This means you have to rule on fair use and that's an expensive proposition for open source projects, so if nothing else it's going to have a chilling effect on these sorts of projects.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 29, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Do you live in that state where all those mutant frogs were originally found?

I live in a state ranked #4 for worst industrial air pollution and #5 for worst mercury pollution

Guess that's why Citizens Energy is hiking rates by 25%! To cover the costs of adding delicious nutritious quicksilver to our diets

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

7, one of which looks to be electrical but that is awaiting further investigation and is still being counted as possible arson last I looked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Honestly surprised the Arizona case went the way it did, that could've been bad.

• Locked thread