Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

InShaneee posted:

I could still see that as a threat. I imagine, ideally, Amazon would love it if they could dismantle Comixology and get people buying comics straight from the Amazon store.

I guess that's vaguely plausible but Amazon's website is incredibly poorly laid out to sell something with a release schedule like comics and I'd imagine overall sales would sharply decrease if Comixology went away. If anything I'd think they'd try to infect Comixology with more cross-media purchasing options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zachack posted:

I guess that's vaguely plausible but Amazon's website is incredibly poorly laid out to sell something with a release schedule like comics and I'd imagine overall sales would sharply decrease if Comixology went away. If anything I'd think they'd try to infect Comixology with more cross-media purchasing options.

"Want this in print? Follow this link to our Amazon page!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Comixology app is loving awful.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

The new Comixology app is loving awful.

What's wrong with it? Seems an improvement on my iPad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The most useful list, unread, is on the bottom and there are no new download/unread markers on the series list.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
The middle two rows seem pointless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa. Comixology to offer subscription service.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Haven't Marvel seen a solid conversion rate from Unlimited subscribers to individual sales?

And I'm not sure publishers are going to be the ones that might have a problem with it. It's likely to be creators, much like the Taylor Swift thing. Publishers, assuming the books in the library have already broken even/made a profit, probably don't care, because they're getting paid either way. Creator royalties, though, are possibly going to be a sticking point.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Imagine if that got bundled in with Prime.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

zoux posted:

I only have two reservations, the first being "readers [...] then have unlimited access to select comic books". What do they mean by "select"? The second is the price point. Marvel's :10bux: price is perfect. I don't know if I'd be willing to pay more than that. Other than that, though, :vince:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Haven't Marvel seen a solid conversion rate from Unlimited subscribers to individual sales?

And I'm not sure publishers are going to be the ones that might have a problem with it. It's likely to be creators, much like the Taylor Swift thing. Publishers, assuming the books in the library have already broken even/made a profit, probably don't care, because they're getting paid either way. Creator royalties, though, are possibly going to be a sticking point.

I dunno about Marvel saying anything, but I read a blog post that speculated that Marvel sees a benefit from Unlimited. In my case it certainly was a gateway to buying comics as they are issued new, something I never would've done had I not developed an affinity for characters and creative teams from reading like, a billion comics on MU.

Phylodox posted:

I only have two reservations, the first being "readers [...] then have unlimited access to select comic books". What do they mean by "select"? The second is the price point. Marvel's :10bux: price is perfect. I don't know if I'd be willing to pay more than that. Other than that, though, :vince:

Could be that select just means "not new" comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Much like how Prime or Kindle Unlimited don't offer every single show/movie/book they have, you'd get a curated selection of big hits, fun curios and Sturgeon's Law bullshit.

Edit: If any publisher's likely to be iffy about it, it's DC, considering they've had every opportunity to do something like this before, and resolutely haven't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel is likely out, too, since they have their own service.

Everything else is going to depend on individual creators.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Much like how Prime or Kindle Unlimited don't offer every single show/movie/book they have, you'd get a curated selection of big hits, fun curios and Sturgeon's Law bullshit.

Edit: If any publisher's likely to be iffy about it, it's DC, considering they've had every opportunity to do something like this before, and resolutely haven't.

If they were smart they'd take the opportunity to get the benefits of Marvel Unlimited without having to do any of the work.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amazon is going to have serious leverage as the primary distributor of digital comics. They can be like, if you want to sell any digital comics through Amazon/Comixology you have to participate.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Amazon is going to have serious leverage as the primary distributor of digital comics. They can be like, if you want to sell any digital comics through Amazon/Comixology you have to participate.

They could run into serious issues with the DOJ if they start doing that.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Anything good from the Uncanny Avengers sale?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taerkar posted:

Anything good from the Uncanny Avengers sale?

I liked it, especially the first arc...but I also like Axis...so yeah ymmv. I do think the first arc is genuinely really good in the pay off with the NY street freak out.

The rest is kind of confusing if you've never read that much X Men....or any Age of Apocalypse stuff.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

I thought DC can't really do a service like that due to how they structured contracts. The Marvel contract stuff that let them screw Kirby is the same thing that lets them have an Unlimited service because the creators basically get no (or minimal) say over what's done with the books. I don't know how something like Image would work since it's massively creator-owned - if, say, Fraction said no then that's that for his comics.

I would hope a sort of rights collector would appear, though, as a money-making venture by scooping up old rights to various long out of print stuff for cheap and getting a good rate out of Amazon for the whole thing. A lot of euro comics, Heavy Metal, comic strips, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

I thought DC can't really do a service like that due to how they structured contracts. The Marvel contract stuff that let them screw Kirby is the same thing that lets them have an Unlimited service because the creators basically get no (or minimal) say over what's done with the books. I don't know how something like Image would work since it's massively creator-owned - if, say, Fraction said no then that's that for his comics.

I would hope a sort of rights collector would appear, though, as a money-making venture by scooping up old rights to various long out of print stuff for cheap and getting a good rate out of Amazon for the whole thing. A lot of euro comics, Heavy Metal, comic strips, etc.
DC's "problematic" (read: favorable to creators) contracts only applied to a pretty specific time period before collections were really a thing. Even still, the issue is generally that DC wouldn't make enough money to make reprints of those comics worth the cost of printing, especially since a lot of them would have to be recolored, or at least re-separated for modern printing. Simply doling out cost-free digital editions *shouldn't* be a problem. There's a little up-front on converting to Comixology's guided view, but I bet a lot of those comics are already on there.

As for Image, yeah, it's almost certainly going to come down to individual creators. Image owns NOTHING they publish, and I doubt they structured their contracts to specifically allow for all-you-can-eat style distribution. They'd probably have to add new terms to the contracts before anything can be added.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

DC's "problematic" (read: favorable to creators) contracts only applied to a pretty specific time period before collections were really a thing. Even still, the issue is generally that DC wouldn't make enough money to make reprints of those comics worth the cost of printing, especially since a lot of them would have to be recolored, or at least re-separated for modern printing. Simply doling out cost-free digital editions *shouldn't* be a problem. There's a little up-front on converting to Comixology's guided view, but I bet a lot of those comics are already on there.

As for Image, yeah, it's almost certainly going to come down to individual creators. Image owns NOTHING they publish, and I doubt they structured their contracts to specifically allow for all-you-can-eat style distribution. They'd probably have to add new terms to the contracts before anything can be added.

Then why hasn't DC ever offered a catalog service or whatever the proper term is for a thing like MU?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Then why hasn't DC ever offered a catalog service or whatever the proper term is for a thing like MU?

:10bux:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I can see where they're coming from. For someone like me who has a few Marvel titles I try to keep up with, Unlimited is a great savings. I'm spending much less per month, they're getting less per month.

On the other hand, there are no DC titles I keep up with month to month, so if I wanted to sign up for a subscription service of theirs they'd be getting more (than no) money from me.

I guess it's about balancing the loss from regular readers versus the gain from casual or non-readers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

It still costs a lot to get that up and running. MU is still not great and it's been around awhile. Offloading that cost to Comixology avoids all of that.

I should note I'm speculating, but it's definitely the older contracts that are the issue, not the more modern ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
DC didn't go in on that Scribd deal either though, and that's also offloading the hard part onto someone else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the point I'm thinking in my head and haven't actually stated is that if they choose not to be part of this, it's not the contracts holding them back, it's probably just a corporate decision.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Gaz-L posted:

DC didn't go in on that Scribd deal either though, and that's also offloading the hard part onto someone else.

Is it possible that they knew this Comixology unlimited was coming and have signed an exclusivity agreement?

I'm not getting my hopes up, but to have a unlimited service using Comixology technology that includes DC and Marvel would be a dream come true.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If your library has Hoopla Comics service, be on the lookout for DC adding 200 books throughout the summer. 18 titles so far, some New 52, lots of popular Batman trades, first volumes Sandman, Fables, Preacher for now.... could get really good!

Oh, and this Image sale? Wytches, Descender, Bitch Planet, Kaptara, and The Fade Out have all been good to me. I'm going in on the first trade of ODY-C for $5, call out any of your favorites and tempt me into succumbing!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm going to nab Nameless (can't go wrong with Morrison and Burnham) and Southern Cross (Cloonan!) based on the creators alone.

The DC Eisner winners sale is pretty rad, too.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It's too many good comics.

How good is Ex Machina? Any other must buys?

Already completed Sandman, this could get pricey.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

From the DC comics sale, I like the majority of that. Of the lesser known things:
AmVamp is fun if you're into horror stories set in the past.
Daytripper is amazing.
I only read the first 12 issues or so of Ex Machina, which I felt was fine, but didn't feel like it was going anywhere new after that (I hear people were mad over the ending).
Don't really know anything about The Wake.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Fish posted:

If your library has Hoopla Comics service, be on the lookout for DC adding 200 books throughout the summer. 18 titles so far, some New 52, lots of popular Batman trades, first volumes Sandman, Fables, Preacher for now.... could get really good!

Oh, and this Image sale? Wytches, Descender, Bitch Planet, Kaptara, and The Fade Out have all been good to me. I'm going in on the first trade of ODY-C for $5, call out any of your favorites and tempt me into succumbing!
I've only read the stuff you've mentioned, so I can't really add anything. Spread was interesting, but didn't grab me. Might read better in chunks. I got on ODY-C when it started and it seems like something that DEFINITELY reads better in trades, so I'm holding off until it's further along. Gorgeous art, but reading the Odyssey in monthly chunks is not ideal.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get 100% of that DC/Vert sale.

e: The Ex Machina collections which aren't on sale aren't much more expensive than the singles, which are, so you don't gotta rush on that one.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 30, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Harbinger sale. Buy them all. Best valiant series, in my opinion. Or just get Imperium, but really all Harbinger is extremely good.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

Don't really know anything about The Wake.

It's not good. I'm OK with Murphy art but it can be divisive, and the story is a total mess culminating in a giant unearned last issue info dump. The first half was a good horror story but the back half... eesh. It comes across like a rpg source book meant to promote fan fiction.

Not to big on Nameless so far, either. It mostly comes across as empty, although I haven't read the latest issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Zachack posted:

Not to big on Nameless so far, either. It mostly comes across as empty, although I haven't read the latest issue.

Shame, 'cause I just bought it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

To counter Nameless is Morisson and Burnham doing existential Lovecraftian style horror and has been pretty good so far.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I've only read the stuff you've mentioned, so I can't really add anything. Spread was interesting, but didn't grab me. Might read better in chunks. I got on ODY-C when it started and it seems like something that DEFINITELY reads better in trades, so I'm holding off until it's further along. Gorgeous art, but reading the Odyssey in monthly chunks is not ideal.

Check out No Mercy (Alex de Campi writing, Carla Speed McNeil on art) for a seriously under-the-radar non-superhero, non-supernatural comic that's doing some cool stuff and has super high potential. Maybe one for people who dig Ms. Marvel, but have no real need to stay all-ages or superhero or mainstream. (It has some of the same attention to "how teens are with technology," but is getting Lord-of-the-Flies dark quick.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alex-de-campi-shows-no-mercy-to-teenagers-in-latest-series
https://www.comixology.com/No-Mercy-1/digital-comic/211084

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Oh, sweet. Jenn Manley Lee on colors, too. Will definitely need to check this out.

(and also need to read the second Finder omnibus that I borrowed from a friend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

onefish posted:

Check out No Mercy (Alex de Campi writing, Carla Speed McNeil on art) for a seriously under-the-radar non-superhero, non-supernatural comic that's doing some cool stuff and has super high potential. Maybe one for people who dig Ms. Marvel, but have no real need to stay all-ages or superhero or mainstream. (It has some of the same attention to "how teens are with technology," but is getting Lord-of-the-Flies dark quick.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alex-de-campi-shows-no-mercy-to-teenagers-in-latest-series
https://www.comixology.com/No-Mercy-1/digital-comic/211084

What if I don't think Archie vs. Predator (also by de Campi) is that good except for the spectacle?