Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Prism posted:

Also the translation is much better.

The translation is great and could carry the argument by itself. GBA Gilgamesh is so good. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

If you really want to play a game where the one good spot is the translators deciding "Cara" should talk with nothing but an emoticon for no reason then that's your prerogative but you're only hurting yourself.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Don't forget the Quicksave glitch enabling easy access to Walse's Elven Mantle, easy Stingray/Mover access, etc.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

"You think I sat around seven centuries munching on pizza?"
"Ha ha ha... Perhaps you should have taken the chance... You shall find no such tasty diversions in the afterlife!"

FFV's translation team knew exactly what it was doing. :allears:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wish I had a screenshot of Exdeath saying "I have disguised myself as a splinter, waiting for just this moment". That's probably my favourite line from any Final Fantasy.

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, this is definitely an easy triple crown. Bit of RNG in trying to get the Dark Spark to stick, but between Golem and Mighty Guard I could not lose unless I ran out of Elixirs and Ethers somehow. Which since only 2 people were using them was hella unlikely.

Nice job. Between Shinryu's high level and Dark Sparks abysmal hit rate, that must have taken a lot of patience.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't forget the Quicksave glitch enabling easy access to Walse's Elven Mantle, easy Stingray/Mover access, etc.

And infinite money.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dragonatrix posted:

If you really want to play a game where the one good spot is the translators deciding "Cara" should talk with nothing but an emoticon for no reason then that's your prerogative but you're only hurting yourself.

I do like Cara as a name better, though. Am I the hipster?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Prism posted:

I do like Cara as a name better, though. Am I the hipster?

well yeah, it's definitively better. Krile sounds like something you catch by drinking standing water.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Had a busy week, and that Byblos grind had me like

But once that was out of the way, the rest was basically just an exercise in brutality.

Can't wait to get Thief/Earthx3 next run to round it off.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Poque posted:

well yeah, it's definitively better. Krile sounds like something you catch by drinking standing water.

It's pronounced Kuh-REEEE -lay and you have to roll the R and exclaim it as if there was an exclamation point at the end, or am I just pronouncing it wrong?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
You guys are forgetting the most important piece of dialogue.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

emulator designed by malcolm, age 7

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Seal Guardians: Surprisingly easy with the right tools.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Wait...wait. Krile only talks in emoticons on GBA? But that's ridiculous.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dishwasher posted:

No

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Ramos posted:

Reflect rings can be the absolute worst. My guys went from level 26 to 32 just grinding for drops in the tower. On the other hand, Atomos was a total chump when I got to him.
Level 29, 35 War Hammers. Onwards!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm guessing the joke is that somewhere in the SNES translation, there's a point where Krile/Cara has a line consisting solely of an emoticon or something. And that seeing that would be the only reason to take that translation over the GBA one, which is otherwise vastly superior.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Prism posted:

You can dash with B without a thief. (If you have a thief it goes even faster.)

The first time I played the game was with a VERY bad fan translation, different from the one that's commonly used now. Every character swore up a loving storm.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lurdiak posted:

The first time I played the game was with a VERY bad fan translation, different from the one that's commonly used now. Every character swore up a loving storm.

Ah, I see that you found FF5's version of every Square RPG's requisite "it's edgy so it's 'accurate'" fan translation.

We were all loving weebs in the mid 90s. All of us, every last one.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^ God, that was always the "best" part.

"This line could either be 'drat, I lost'...Or it could just be generic 'Angry phrase.' Better go with "Godfuckingmothershit I loving cocklost". Yeah. Yeah now Butts is the coolest."

Dishwasher posted:

Maybe he meant SNES/PSX? Because the GBA version she actually speaks normally.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Reminds me of that one Tales of Phantasia translation back in the day.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Vil posted:

Reminds me of that one Tales of Phantasia translation back in the day.

"I bet Arche fucks like a tiger". Honestly, that was rather charming mostly because they didn't over do it.

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
http://fourjobfiesta.com/players.php?player=Herux3020

blue/time/???/???

I think for a first run I am doing good yes? I haven't played in ages so bought the android version just to participate in the fiesta!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Everyone smiles when Lenna poisons herself.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Right, late to the party but Mega64's thread convinced me to pick this game up for the first time in a decade and give it a go. Thief to start, so already looking interesting. What's the suggested format for running if my old GBA is dead?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Maleketh posted:

The translation is great and could carry the argument by itself. GBA Gilgamesh is so good. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really wish FF4 Advance wasn't mechanically broken (and buggy), because it's also a really good translation and I really like the extra features they added.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Didn't they fix most of the bugs in the European version?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
idk nothing in the gba version seems to interfere with my ability to complete the game, mechanically or otherwise, and i don't think i'm using the EU rom

e: oh, ff4. please ignore me.

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 29, 2015

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

CapitalistPig posted:

It's pronounced Kuh-REEEE -lay and you have to roll the R and exclaim it as if there was an exclamation point at the end, or am I just pronouncing it wrong?

As of FFXIV, it's CRY-el.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxF9WTewew&t=9360s

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrosiris posted:

Also if you have a Berserker/Ranger, the Neo Exdeath fight is a bit easier as the GBA version doesn't have any dummy targets for them to hit.

Lurdiak posted:

I really wish FF4 Advance wasn't mechanically broken (and buggy), because it's also a really good translation and I really like the extra features they added.

From what I've seen from the Legends of Localization dude, FF4 Advance's translation is actually not great, it's mostly a copy/paste of the PS1's translation with a few lines changed here and there. Apparently FF4 DS is actually the most accurate translation of the game.

The J2E fan translation of FF4 seems pretty awful, but it seems like that's common in fan translations.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

:thejoke:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Hey, don't sass. Not my fault so many folks intentionally disregard XI and XIV, despite their being awesome.

XI was, after all, the first game to explain why the hell Blue Mages are Blue.

(XI's Gilgamesh was a total poser, though. Good thing XIV fixed that. Enkidu, on the other hand...)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't the PSP version have everything the Advance version does?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Woo, run 2 complete.

NED was a bit of a slog. I should have put scan on my blue mage so I could see how far along each piece was and I should have given my berserkers running shoes rather than the protect rings since it felt like they never got a turn. The rest was just throwing aeroagas at him until he died, with the occasional white wind and/or elixir and reapplying of mighty guard.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Prism posted:

You can dash with B without a thief. (If you have a thief it goes even faster.)

SNES doesn't have horrible portrait art though, I actually had to use a replacement patch that puts even dumber art in place this year.

Edit: I can't believe people complain about how Krile and say 'Cara' sounds so much more natural to them in the presence of words like Galuf, Quelb, Xezat, Mua, etc. The point is for Krile to sound alien to you.

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 29, 2015

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Genocyber posted:

Doesn't the PSP version have everything the Advance version does?

yes and you get the added benefit of not having to play the godawful DS version! 4c may still pronounce it SEH-sill though :barf:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I punched the Fire Crystal down and only afterwards remembered I had a guy with Comet. At least !Gaia was occasionally doing some decent damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
Just got my earth job. Final team is Monk, Berserker, Beastmaster, and then... Berserker. :suicide:

When this runs is done I'm going to have to do a normal run to get an actually fun combo.

• Locked thread