Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Taear posted:

A good side effect of the way music has fragmented is that even I've heard of the big hot groups because EVERYONE has and they're megastars.
There's no vaguely famous ones that all young people have heard of and nobody over 30 has any longer.

Actually there are loads, you just haven't heard of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah, I hadn't heard of Imagine Dragons until someone linked me to a YouTube video with over 100 million views. I didn't start watching it before asking which Twilight movie they'd had a song in.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
Music is good in 2015

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
There's some really good new poo poo coming out and I enjoy keeping abreast of things while also having a massive backlog of old folk and punk bands to discover.

I mean I remember the day Frightened Rabbit finally clicked for me, it was glorious, even better than when Joy Division did.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

tdrules posted:

Music is good in 2015

This, but ironically.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

This has just been retweeted onto my timeline

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

:suicide:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
well, the first time I said: they weren't really expecting to win it and were expecting a Labour government

it looks like it's true the second time too

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe he's a liar who'd say anything while fully intending to get elected, just throwing that out there

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To be fair, he didn't say that he wouldn't cancel transport projects, only that labour/snp coalition would do it as well.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Pretty awkward, though.

Page 11, Conservative manifesto.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The only parts of a manifesto to survive an election day are the awful bits, it's not that hard to figure out.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

big scary monsters posted:

Yes I have

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TinTower posted:

Pretty awkward, though.

Page 11, Conservative manifesto.

Is this their first manifesto pledge to be broken? Nearly two months is pretty good!!

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

Taear posted:

Yes I have

This is a great argument I can't wait to see how this pans out

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
/spins a turntable anticlockwise under a full moon at midnight, casts Summon Bozza

So South West Trains offer season tickets. If you lose your ticket you're entitled to one (1) replacement per 12 month period. I can sort of see why because they're just dumb pieces of paper so theoretically you could sell your annual season tickets (face value: £4,000 from where I live) on the black market and then ask for a refund.

They're also trialling electronic ticketing, Oyster style. TfL offer unlimited replacements of season-ticket Oyster cards because they can cancel the missing card remotely. They charge you a small fee but there's no limits to the number of times you can get a replacement. I've heard that SWT are going to keep their one-replacement-only policy even when they switch to electronic tickets. Presumably this is because they're greedy bastards and like the idea of pocketing some extra cash from their customers.

I know this isn't really Network Rail's business but I wondered if you'd heard anything on the grapevine about whether that's true or not?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The train station nearest my place, and the one at work both don't have barriers. I spend like £1,500 a year on season tickets and, given that i never need put it through a barrier and the guards never take it out of the little plastic wallet i'm honestly wondering why i don't start printing my own on glossy card.
They only need to stand up to a cursory glance every couple of days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oberleutnant posted:

Is this their first manifesto pledge to be broken? Nearly two months is pretty good!!

Pretty sure they broke one within 24 hours, though I can't remember which one now.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

Pretty sure they broke one within 24 hours, though I can't remember which one now.

Deeper cuts in welfare than the 12 billion announced iirc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

They're also trialling electronic ticketing, Oyster style. TfL offer unlimited replacements of season-ticket Oyster cards because they can cancel the missing card remotely. They charge you a small fee but there's no limits to the number of times you can get a replacement. I've heard that SWT are going to keep their one-replacement-only policy even when they switch to electronic tickets. Presumably this is because they're greedy bastards and like the idea of pocketing some extra cash from their customers.
It seems strange that they don't do more through phone apps, Google Tap/Apple Pay style. Most smartphones now have the required hardware.

Moxm
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Don't leftists and environmentalists get more backlash from the anti-terror poo poo than neo-nazis and religious extremists?

(Don't forget that after the murder of Stephen Lawrence the Met spent more time spying on his family and anti-racist groups than on racists.)

I would have to say yes, given the fact that the training area I visited was mostly kitted out for animal rights and anti-capitalist protests.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Well, if you accept that generally leftists are interested in punching up, whereas right wing groups usually want to punch down, who do you think the filth are going to consider more of a threat?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It seems strange that they don't do more through phone apps, Google Tap/Apple Pay style. Most smartphones now have the required hardware.

:eng101: all ticket barriers and validators are required to be dually compatible with the ITSO NFC smartcard standard and EMV contactless. Travel smartcards are also required to be mutually compatible with each other. It's basically organisational inertia that they don't do it.

The idea of being able to load both a PTE smartcard and/or single-journey tickets into Apple Wallet is pretty awesome, although I doubt they'll make any progress by 2020; West Yorkshire still don't have pay-as-you-go smartcard functionality. :(

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

they have introduced an oyster styled system in bristol where you can load a certain amount of single tickets/ weekly/monthly passes onto a card or a smartphone app which you can then use on the buses

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fracking denied in Little Plumpton, BBC takes to the streets to attempt to prove the decision is undemocratic, interspersed with interviews with industry experts looking like kicked puppies wondering why this happened and exclaiming how terrible it is that progress was denied.

Just... ugh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Also, strictly speaking, the Tories are still about one-and-a-half out of three on that promise: there will still be new trains anyway as the Pacers need to be off the network by 2019, and the Northern Hub is still ongoing, albeit in a reduced scale that entails postponing electrification east of Stalybridge. The electrification pledge is clearly broken, though.

Interestingly, the Northern and TPE invitation to tender, issued in February, instructs potential franchisees to assume that electrification doesn't happen during the franchise, so the way out was clearly there.

That said, the Ordsall Chord should be beneficial for capacity in the interim, especially with crossing services being rerouted via Victoria. One of the major problems with Piccadilly at the moment is that Manchester Airport services to Yorkshire and the North East have to cross the throat then reverse back out, which is a major signalling headache. Once Ordsall is complete, they can go through 13–16, then through Victoria and from there onwards.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm well loving happy my homeland is not going to be fracked. And that the council had a spine.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I liked the quote from some energy dickhead "It's time for the Government to step in".
:qq: :qq:

Greenest Government ever! Now fracking for more fossil fuels!

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
So this happened today, just round the corner from where I work:

Two suspicious packages found in Exeter 'made safe' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-33308628

BBC News posted:

Bomb disposal experts have dealt with two suspicious packages in Exeter which prompted the evacuation of a school, homes and businesses.

Both devices were non-explosive, said Devon and Cornwall Police.

A suitcase with protruding wires was found attached to St Sidwell's school railings at about 07:00 BST and another was found in a city centre car park.

Both devices were "made safe" by bomb disposal experts with a controlled explosion used on one package.

Police said they were not treating it as a terrorist incident.

The first suitcase was found by St Sidwell's School caretaker, Brent Hibbs. A breakfast club was evacuated and the remainder of the 200 pupils and 42 nursery children arriving at the school were moved to safety.

Head teacher Kathryn Rowden said: "Our staff did an excellent job in evacuating the children quickly and efficiently. I cannot comment on the motive for this.
"But I would point out that St Sidwell's is a Church of England school and we have children of all faiths, and some with no faith, who learn together and play together very harmoniously."

Armed police, fire crews and sniffer dogs were called in and everyone within 100m of the packages was evacuated from the area.

A large section of the city centre was cordoned off and there has been significant disruption to public transport.

A second suspect suitcase was found at the King William Street Car Park at about 09:15 BST.

That led to further road closures in the area and the evacuation of homes in and around the city centre.

Exeter, Mid and East Devon Commander Superintendent Keith Perkin said: "Today's events have caused considerable impact to residents and business across the city.

"We don't underestimate how difficult road closures and evacuations can be for local people, but safety of all our communities remains paramount."

There's something off about the whole thing. This morning, the rumours flying around were that a suspect package had been found at a mosque. The Express and Echo confirmed this, while stating that the school caretaker found it by railings - railings on one side of the school border a mosque, so the implication was that it was the mosque that was being targeted. The beeb made no mention of the mosque, and later in the day the Express and Echo dropped all reference to it.

'Police aren't treating this as an act of terrorism'? If two bomb threats, targeting civilians in a city centre isn't terrorism, then what is? Was it not terrorism when the IRA planted fake devices? Note that this was long before they declared the devices 'non explosive' and before the controlled explosion.

Then there's the complete lack of media attention. I realise they turned out to be false, but for most of the day nobody knew this. It's not like the media to wait and see whether something's real

Maybe I'm missing something here.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 29, 2015

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I saw an article on fb earlier about a suspicious package removed by the police up in Peterhead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilGenius posted:

Two suspicious packages found in Exeter 'made safe' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-33308628

There's something off about the whole thing. This morning, the rumours flying around were that a suspect package had been found at a mosque. The Express and Echo confirmed this, while stating that the school caretaker found it by railings - railings on one side of the school border a mosque, so the implication was that it was the mosque that was being targeted. The beeb made no mention of the mosque, and later in the day the Express and Echo dropped all reference to it.

'Police aren't treating this as an act of terrorism'? If two bomb threats, targeting civilians in a city centre isn't terrorism, then what is? Was it not terrorism when the IRA planted fake devices?

Then there's the complete lack of media attention. I realise they turned out to be false, but for most of the day nobody knew this. It's not like the media to wait and see whether or not something's real

Arguably if people are planting fake devices, simply not telling people about it denies them the effect?

I mean, it's hardly a failure of the police or security services that they can't stop people leaving backpacks around the place.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

OwlFancier posted:

Arguably if people are planting fake devices, simply not telling people about it denies them the effect?

I mean, it's hardly a failure of the police or security services that they can't stop people leaving backpacks around the place.

There was enough info out there to have made a big thing about it, and it did appear on national news. Just not to the sensational degree that I was expecting.

Perhaps this is confirmation bias on my part - the only bomb scares I hear about are the ones I hear about.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone requested it not be reported on, no need to start a panic and as mentioned, it denies the people their goal if it was a planned thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

EvilGenius posted:

There was enough info out there to have made a big thing about it, and it did appear on national news. Just not to the sensational degree that I was expecting.

Perhaps this is confirmation bias on my part - the only bomb scares I hear about are the ones I hear about.

Many bomb scares don't get reported widely - I think there was a bomb scare near where I lived a year or two back, which required them closing the entire street, investigating some guys home (probably home chemist). Didn't hear anything about it except a single article in the local paper.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Be more concerned if they start getting reported on constantly to drum up support for antiterrorism legislation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

'Police aren't treating this as an act of terrorism'? If two bomb threats, targeting civilians in a city centre isn't terrorism, then what is? Was it not terrorism when the IRA planted fake devices? Note that this was long before they declared the devices 'non explosive' and before the controlled explosion.

Then there's the complete lack of media attention. I realise they turned out to be false, but for most of the day nobody knew this. It's not like the media to wait and see whether something's real

Look it was near a mosque so it can't be muslims so it's not terrorism

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Dabir posted:

Look it was near a mosque so it can't be muslims so it's not terrorism
Maybe they were trying to radicalise the moderates.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they were trying to radicalise the moderates.

Radicalise the middle class.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

BBC posted:

Exeter

BBC posted:

Devon and Cornwall police

There's your answer; didn't happen in London/SE, didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

You know the easiest way to avoid all the terrible train stuff is to just use a car. :smug:

• Locked thread