Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Holy poo poo Nonplayer 2 came out last week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

hadji murad posted:

Holy poo poo Nonplayer 2 came out last week!

And now we get to wait 4 years for the next issue.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

And now we get to wait 4 years for the next issue.

I bought it but haven't read it yet. I hope to read all 6 in one shot someday.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Moore took his drat time getting to it, but the issue of Crossed +100 that came out today is really creepy.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Edit: nm

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

hadji murad posted:

I bought it but haven't read it yet. I hope to read all 6 in one shot someday.

Cool deathbed wish, bro.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I don't think I can keep up with Nameless if it continues to amp up the horror at the current rate.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy fucken poo poo Southern Bastards is amazing. Coach Boss is such a bastard.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wanderer posted:

Moore took his drat time getting to it, but the issue of Crossed +100 that came out today is really creepy.

Yeah, it was eerie how the guy was already so inhuman that it had practically no effect other than the rash and all bastards just ignored him as he kept up his daily routine while the carnage goes on around him.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy fucken poo poo Southern Bastards is amazing. Coach Boss is such a bastard.

And right after the arc that aimed to humanize him.
Such a great, great book, even if Latour is not bringing his A-game every page.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I finished the first two volumes of Sex Criminals. Come for the sexy times and goofy concept, stay for the relationship drama and psycho analysis. Would recommend, thought I'm not sure how much longer i'm gonna stay with it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I finished the first two volumes of Sex Criminals. Come for the sexy times and goofy concept, stay for the relationship drama and psycho analysis. Would recommend, thought I'm not sure how much longer i'm gonna stay with it.

Until it's done because it is a great book.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Until it's done because it is a great book.

Yup. I'm so excited for the next issue. I mean volume one was pretty great and all but volume two is just something else completely. It's wonderful! Also, "poo poo on a dick!" Is now my exclamation of choice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah, Archie vs Predator got insanely creepy.

And it's got nothing to do with the Predator decapitating everyone. :v:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Having just realized Rasputin #6 comes out this week, I would like to advise the thread to read Rasputin because it's fuckin' rad. Great art and an interesting story. I have the single issues already but I'm probably picking up the trade, too, for easier rereading. Seriously, though, the art is stunning. A lot of scenes driven almost entirely by visuals as opposed to words that manage to get across exactly what's happening in a really haunting + beautiful way.

Back issues are up on Comixology and the trade comes out on Wednesday as well. I advise everyone to give it a chance if you haven't yet.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 22, 2015

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Empty Zone #1 had some incredible art. Recommend it for anyone who liked Neuromancer, or cyberpunk like it.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

My local comic book shop dude told me that Low is 'criminally under-read', and that's a shame, because it is loving awesome.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I read the first few issues of Low but then missed some and haven't caught up. It reminded me a lot of 1930s Golden Age sci-fi.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I read the first few issues of Low but then missed some and haven't caught up. It reminded me a lot of 1930s Golden Age sci-fi.

Pretty much, mixed in with a Game-of-Thrones-esque penchant for having terrible poo poo constantly happen to whoever you are currently rooting for.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stangers In Paradise is on sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Strangers-in-Paradise-Sale/page/7184?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Does anyone not like this series? I should just spend $87 sight unseen, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Stangers In Paradise is on sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Strangers-in-Paradise-Sale/page/7184?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Does anyone not like this series? I should just spend $87 sight unseen, right?

Uh, maybe spend the 20 bucks for the first 3-4 trades first. Or even the couple for the first, but be aware it starts as way more comedic than the book becomes. The first mini is all "grrrls vs rear end in a top hat dudes" with exaggerated comic violence interludes and sight gags, whereas the later volumes get into organised crime and the sex trade and ninjas like it's loving Daredevil.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Can anyone tell me anything about Riot Gear by Triumphant? I got ahold of the first issue and it seems rather cool, but i wanna know if it'll be worth it to grab the rest of them or if I should just save my money.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Stjepan Sejic is off of the world's unluckiest comic, Rat Queens.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/exclusive-witchblade-to-end-in-october-sejics-now-top-cow-exclusive

quote:

Stjepan Sejic has confirmed via a post on the CBR Community that with the news of his exclusive deal with Top Cow, he is no longer the artist of "Rat Queens," published by fellow Image Comics imprint Shadowline.
"Truth is, this was a bad year for me health-wise," Sejic wrote. "As you will soon see in my letter of apology for lateness in "IXth Generation" #4... I ignored my thyroid condition until it threw my liver out of whack and I spent the last two months in perpetual nausea. I believe 'Rat Queens' fans deserve better than a delay after delay on such a wonderful book so I offered to step down. Luckily, I am to be replaced by a wonderfully skilled artist."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 28, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Being the artist for Rat Queens must be like being the drummer in Spinal Tap. I'm glad they already have an artist though, since I assume they sorta had some advance notice on this.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Gaz-L posted:

Uh, maybe spend the 20 bucks for the first 3-4 trades first. Or even the couple for the first, but be aware it starts as way more comedic than the book becomes. The first mini is all "grrrls vs rear end in a top hat dudes" with exaggerated comic violence interludes and sight gags, whereas the later volumes get into organised crime and the sex trade and ninjas like it's loving Daredevil.

I can't tell if that's better or worse because way back when I read the first couple trades (like a decade ago at least) I thought it was "ok, maybe pretty good" but not remotely compelling enough to keep going, plus I had heard that it slowly went downhill.

I will add that I've read the first 20 or so issues of Rachel Rising and consider that to be really mediocre. Just incredible amounts of dawdling both in pacing and what the characters are actually doing - the only reason the main characters aren't all dead/removed seems to be that the villains go into a figurative locked closet for hours/days at a time just to let everyone else do anything. I realize a lot of media does this but it's so much more obvious and poorly written.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine Sejic's deal has something to do with how well Sunstone's sold. Didn't it set some record for Top Cow?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Speaking of Top Cow, I guess they're ending the Witchblade/Darkness universe this year.

Kind of a mercy kill at this point, I suppose. I feel like it fell apart after Artifacts.

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine Sejic's deal has something to do with how well Sunstone's sold. Didn't it set some record for Top Cow?

Bleeding Cool is saying that it's the most-ordered comic in the history of Top Cow's catalog, which surprises me.

It's not quite my thing, but you can see a lot of pages from it on Sejic's Deviantart and he's surprisingly good at comedy.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
He's always talking up how well pre-orders have done on Sunstone, which is great, but Death Vigil has consistently been in the tank. Frustrating because I was super excited and happy with his work on Rat Queens and to have that traded off for a few more months of Witchblade and IXth Generation just doesn't seem worth it but business is business I suppose.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wanderer posted:

Speaking of Top Cow, I guess they're ending the Witchblade/Darkness universe this year.

Though, understanding from the above link, his webcomic-turned-ongoing gets Witchblade stuff shoved in out of the deal.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
What's the deal with Marian Churchland's and Brandon Graham's upcoming projects Arclight and Island? Are they starting this week/this month?

It's rare that I buy singles but I am ravenous for both of these and don't want to miss them.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Question: Does anyone know what the deal is with Elfquest? I've seen it at the library for years and all I know is it's been around forever and has elves in it.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Question: Does anyone know what the deal is with Elfquest? I've seen it at the library for years and all I know is it's been around forever and has elves in it.

It is very 70s. But basically there are two main groups of elves. One group has pyschic connection to wolves and ride them. The other live in the desert and have darker skin. Humans hate the elves for no real reason. A lot of it focuses on the true love between main wolf rider elf guy and main desert elf lady. They have some magic love at first sight destiny thing. They have adventures that are full of 70s fantasy tropes. It was one of the few american comics that was aimed at girls when it started so it is super popular, but might not hit well with modern readers. It's kinda over the top and like I said very 70s. Most of the people I know who really love it also super love shojo manga. Basically, if you threw in zombies I would assume it was written by Tina of Bob's Burger.

The art is lovely though and it's kinda fun is a light hearted but dated way. Edit: The art is lovely in the original black and white story.

KellHound fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 29, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

What's the deal with Marian Churchland's and Brandon Graham's upcoming projects Arclight and Island? Are they starting this week/this month?

It's rare that I buy singles but I am ravenous for both of these and don't want to miss them.

Arclight starts this week and everybody has been raving about it. Island starts on the 15th and looks glorious and is oversized.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

KellHound posted:

It is very 70s. But basically there are two main groups of elves. One group has pyschic connection to wolves and ride them. The other live in the desert and have darker skin. Humans hate the elves for no real reason. A lot of it focuses on the true love between main wolf rider elf guy and main desert elf lady. They have some magic love at first sight destiny thing. They have adventures that are full of 70s fantasy tropes. It was one of the few american comics that was aimed at girls when it started so it is super popular, but might not hit well with modern readers. It's kinda over the top and like I said very 70s. Most of the people I know who really love it also super love shojo manga. Basically, if you threw in zombies I would assume it was written by Tina of Bob's Burger.

The art is lovely though and it's kinda fun is a light hearted but dated way. Edit: The art is lovely in the original black and white story.

That really only describes the first arc of the series. After that, the love story is still a prevalent theme, but the series starts getting darker as they dive deeper into the themes of hatred, war, death, and acceptance. The elves start exploring the world at large, trying to find a safer place for themselves when they realize humans are becoming more numerous. It doesn't go as expected, they start learning their understanding of the world is small. They find humans aren't all terrible and elves aren't all good, and their own grasp of their history is lacking.

As for the human hatred of elves, they hate elves because they are different. Why is that not a good reason? Humans find reasons to hate other humans for a difference in skin color. I can easily imagine humans hating elves for looking so different.

Anyhow, you can read most of the series here: http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/digitalEQ.html

.Z. fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 29, 2015

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Waterhaul posted:

Arclight starts this week and everybody has been raving about it. Island starts on the 15th and looks glorious and is oversized.

Thank you for this! Now I know when to look out for them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For those of you who missed out on one or both of them, Michel Fiffe's Copra Round One and Round Two TPBs are finally back in stock at Bergen Street Press:

http://bergenstreetcomicspress.bigcartel.com/products

I just ordered Round Two, after searching fruitlessly online for months. Round One was really solid, especially if you're an old-school Suicide Squad fan, or you like classic Kirby and Ditko comics but wish they were a lot more violent.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I was lucky to be able to find Round 2 at my LCBS. Copra really is just Fiffe's fanfiction of 80's Suicide Squad, Dr. Strange, and the Punisher but I mean that as the highest compliment.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just finished reading the first Lazarus HC, and while I liked it, it comes off like a sci-fi/post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones, although I suppose "competing groups vying for control" isn't exactly the most original setup in the world. But having a pair of blonde incest twins in each is just a weird thing to throw in there. That being said, I still enjoyed it and I like the art a lot, but one minor question was why Forever (Vol. 2 minor spoilers) let the guy run off with the bomb-making chemicals without doing a thing to stop or track him. Wasn't she on the rooftop of the shed that was being stolen from?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
The Spire by Si Spurrier and Jeff Stokely is really good and I recommend picking up the first issue today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

...sci-fi/post-apocalyptic Game of Thrones...
...a pair of blonde incest twins...

Seems totally expected to me.