Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Goblin Screwball is even better

Goblin Screwdriver sounds like a neat artifact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A Goblin Screwdriver is 1 part vodka, 1 part thallid bitters and orange juice.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Serperoth posted:

Goblin Screwdriver sounds like a neat artifact.

Creature, same as piledriver but pro-white instead.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Goblin Screwdriver will finally reveal what a rigger is and what a contraption is

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Yawgmoth posted:

Is there a goon magic irc channel that I missed?

#mtgoon on synirc

there, now YOU guys deal with him

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Goblin Screwdriver sounds like something that explodes upon use. Just as intended, of course.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Nastier Nate posted:

In Origins, red cards are Zendikar, Regatha, Theors and Kaladesh, and this guy is definitely not from Zendikar. Dominiara is represented on black or white cards.

It's not a clear cut thing:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
The new mulligan rule is interesting, I can see a lot more mulls to 6 on suboptimal hands, rather than just keeping the majority of hands with the correct land/spell ratio. Too bad it isn't in effect everywhere, I think all sanctioned events should use the same basic rules. Plus, I'm sure Pro Tour decks will be built with the new rule in mind, so it may not be a good idea to just copy a list for competitive play.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I rank sliders higher up on my cool pitches totem pole cuz they're faster.

Your scale sucks because the knuckleball is the slowest but also coolest pitch :c00lbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

#mtgoon on synirc

there, now YOU guys deal with him

He can be the bassist in Zoness and the McMagics

E: or the therapist in the Shadowy IRC Cabal

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 29, 2015

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Can someone clarify the new mull rule?

If I mull to 6, can I scry 1 and then decide to keep? Or do you have to decide to keep and you scry on turn 0?

I am all for this, and I'd take it a step further that you could scry 2 if you go to 4 cards or less.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
^^^ Mull to whatever, decide to keep, then scry 1.

Konstantin posted:

The new mulligan rule is interesting, I can see a lot more mulls to 6 on suboptimal hands, rather than just keeping the majority of hands with the correct land/spell ratio. Too bad it isn't in effect everywhere, I think all sanctioned events should use the same basic rules. Plus, I'm sure Pro Tour decks will be built with the new rule in mind, so it may not be a good idea to just copy a list for competitive play.
Theoretically, if the rule pans out to make for better games it'll become The Rule for all mulligans.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Scry for the difference in starting hand size between the two players.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dragon enthusiast posted:

Scry for the difference in starting hand size between the two players.

"I'll keep."

"I'm going to mull to zero."

"But you have 7 cards right now?"

"Yes, exactly."

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

bhsman posted:

"I'll keep."

"I'm going to mull to zero."

"But you have 7 cards right now?"

"Yes, exactly."

A soon to be classic Goblin charbelcher play

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Konstantin posted:

When I cube we use this rule, but slightly more generous:

First mull is six plus scry
Second mull is just six
Third mull is five plus scry
Fourth mull is just five
etc

Probably you wouldn't want to do that for constructed, or wherever combo is viable, but it truly makes for better limited.

vvv deck thickening purposes :v:

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 29, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I mulligan for deck thinning purposes

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

black potus posted:

i know when i think of a cool game i want magic to be more like, my mind immediately goes to hearthstone

this but unironically

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

:radcat:: "I want to start the game hell bent and scry 7"

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

rabidsquid posted:

deck thickening

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

HMS Boromir posted:

deck thickening

I am not going to lose to decking

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm going to skip my first 53 draw steps and scry 60.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Procrastinator posted:

this but unironically

What does hearthstone do that would actually improve Magic the Gathering?

Like, I've played them both, and the things hearthstone does well are either a fundamentally different game than Magic, or meta-structure like how you can queue for matches / their a-sync drafts, etc.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sigma-X posted:

Like, I've played them both, and the things hearthstone does well are either a fundamentally different game than Magic, or meta-structure like how you can queue for matches / their a-sync drafts, etc.

The mulligan procedure, which is what were talking about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

black potus posted:

i know when i think of a cool game i want magic to be more like, my mind immediately goes to hearthstone

You know who else likes hearthstone? Jared Boettcher apparently. Don't be like Jared Boettcher.

Props to him for not changing his twitter profile pic

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sigma-X posted:

Play force of will because it improves on the game even more. The only thing hearth stone does that improved the core rule set for card games is allow for partial mulligans. They use the same "mana guaranteed" system a lot of others use. FOW is literally a smoother, more consistent legacy/vintage magic game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chill la Chill posted:

Play force of will because it improves on the game even more. The only thing hearth stone does that improved the core rule set for card games is allow for partial mulligans. They use the same "mana guaranteed" system a lot of others use. FOW is literally a smoother, more consistent legacy/vintage magic game.

I've been looking into Force of Will, specifically because there's a deck called "Cthulhu Combo".

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Sickening posted:

You know who else likes hearthstone? Jared Boettcher apparently. Don't be like Jared Boettcher.

i don't like hearthstone

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Entropic posted:

I'd like that rule.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Chill la Chill posted:

Conversely, if you're looking for legacy/vintage with more coin flips, look up the Pokemon TCG.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

The things people mention are the hand size differential (in HS you mulligan with one card fewer if you're on the play, but you don't skip your draw step) and the partial paris in HS compared to the paris mulligan in MtG.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Procrastinator posted:

Conversely, if you're looking for legacy/vintage with more coin flips, look up the Pokemon TCG.

Whatever man Yugioh is clearly where it's at for card games that end super fast w/ very linear decks.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
guaranteed mana is my least favorite part of HS

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

Also Reynad as well.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

The mulligan procedure, which is what were talking about.

I'm familiar with the mulligans but it seems a lot worse for Magic than it would for that game because it allows way more flexibility over sculpting your opening hand, making aggressive combos much more reliable.

Like, playing Omnitell / ANT/ whatever I'd love to partial paris all day into perfect hands instead of having to jam 10-12 cantrips into the deck to make sure I hit the right mixtures.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sigma-X posted:

I'm familiar with the mulligans but it seems a lot worse for Magic than it would for that game because it allows way more flexibility over sculpting your opening hand, making aggressive combos much more reliable.

Like, playing Omnitell / ANT/ whatever I'd love to partial paris all day into perfect hands instead of having to jam 10-12 cantrips into the deck to make sure I hit the right mixtures.

That's fine. I can also get my 4 force of wills and countertop pieces in hand too.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I feel like the literal hearthstone system would be pretty awful for mtg because lands are actually in your hand instead of automatic mana. Lots of times you could keep two lands and two good spells, draw 3 more lands and lose the game etc.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

rabidsquid posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=48920

Entropic posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=49769

Wezlar posted:

I feel like the literal hearthstone system would be pretty awful for mtg because lands are actually in your hand instead of automatic mana. Lots of times you could keep two lands and two good spells, draw 3 more lands and lose the game etc.

For the sake of discussion, would Magic benefit from, say, reducing the maximum decksize to ~40 and allowing players to put whatever basic lands they'd like into play from outside the game, but if you play a nonbasic land from your hand you cannot play a basic land and vice versa? I know there are alternative playstyles that involve such a setup.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I feel like mana flood/screw is also part of the risk/reward calculus certain players take into account when deciding what deck they want to play. Some players build decks that are very consistent mana-wise because they like playing that way, while other players accept that their deck has a higher chance of mana flood/screw, but accept that risk because when their deck his the sweet spot of lands and spells, the power level is so much higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Goblin Curveball would be a cool name for a card

• Locked thread