Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

They have an additional digital one mate, generally shows instead of the Odo.

At the time this happened (1999) that was how it worked for UK police - they had a calibrated speedo driven off the wheels, which measured average speed point-to-point, and that was the speed they had to charge you with (they selected a point and pressed a button as you passed it, then as they passed it, then did the same as you and they passed a second point, so it got rid of the "I had to do x to catch up" problem although obviously it was still fairly inaccurate).

However the speedo was supposed to be calibrated at the beginning of every shift and they *never* did it, so it was trivial to get off, which is what happened for me. The other way was that if two officers agreed on what speed you were doing that, legally, was the same as a properly calibrated speed reading. Yeah.Now they let just one copper estimate the speed and although you're allowed to challenge that estimated speed they will royally gently caress you if you challenge and they win.

Also speed cameras operated by local authorities rather than plod not only ignore ACPO guidelines (10% + 7mph), but also the MOT guidelines for speedo accuracy (5%) but even the allowed margin of error of the speed cameras. If they clock you at 30.1 mph they'll try and prosecute, and even though it's trivial to get it thrown out it's a loving pain in the arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here they have a xkm/h tolerance which is induced to become lower for holiday seasons, where cops with speed guns/in roving squad cars will ticket you for exceeding the limit by more than 4km/h, no exceptions. They also have other times that are emphasized as zero tolerance for any infraction. Usually extra cop cars are deployed on weekends with historically high road tolls and they all drive around watching everyone like hawks for the slightest infraction, dealing out a tremendous amount of tickets, none of which has any effect on road deaths (surprise!) whatsoever.

Stationary cameras are just assumed to be reasonably accurate but their ability to successfully capture a speeding car is still hit-miss for the majority of them and the penalties are less (no instant license loss, no demerit points accrued). Plus they can't give you tickets for other stuff like out of date tax etc.

When I read what I've just written it feels vaguely orwellian somehow.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Vaguely? This and your other posts make your land sound like a nanny state nightmare.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the price we pay for not shooting black people on sight I guess. Cops gotta have something to do.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I drive about 300 miles a week on average and I see ONE cop a week. We apparently have 3k officers in this city, but drat you never ever see them out. I saw a state trooper pull someone yesterday. First time I've seen a state trooper in probably six months.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

A 1:85 scale Tesla Model S?

Well it does involve a hand built 4HP samarium cobalt brushless motor ;)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Answer: McVeigh, Berkowitz, Bundy, Ramirez (almost) and a really long list of similar psychopaths.

Question: Name a criminal brought down by cops of average intelligence through routine traffic stops and tickets.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

OTOH, gently caress the police.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well riding through a notorious motorcycle road (Deckers near Pine in CO) has made me feel really depressed about my skills. I thought I was riding decently fast but I was passed like 20 times in an hour. Granted, I'm on a very slow cruiser-like bike, but I could feel the skill differential too.

I want the skill to drag knee on a mountain road, but I don't actually want to do it as I don't want to outride my sight lines or ability. Is starting at the basics at the track the only way to really get this poo poo down? Does every squid do this, or do they just have bigger balls than I do?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Track day. Don't try to learn how to drag a knee in the mountains/canyons by yourself (if you're draggin knee in public you're riding way too fast anyway). You need people with actual knowledge making sure you're not forming bad habits, giving you tailored advice, etc.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Marv Hushman posted:

Answer: McVeigh, Berkowitz, Bundy, Ramirez (almost) and a really long list of similar psychopaths.

Question: Name a criminal brought down by cops of average intelligence through routine traffic stops and tickets.

Counter: the dummies that let Dahmer go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Radbot posted:

Well riding through a notorious motorcycle road (Deckers near Pine in CO) has made me feel really depressed about my skills. I thought I was riding decently fast but I was passed like 20 times in an hour. Granted, I'm on a very slow cruiser-like bike, but I could feel the skill differential too.

I want the skill to drag knee on a mountain road, but I don't actually want to do it as I don't want to outride my sight lines or ability. Is starting at the basics at the track the only way to really get this poo poo down? Does every squid do this, or do they just have bigger balls than I do?

Go to the track. They probably ride poo poo lines that promote lean angle and then reach for the touchdown. Dragging knee all over the place doesn't mean you're going quickly.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Washington state patrol trumps up traffic violations and opposes lane splitting legislation because it requires educating drivers.

It's stupid. Last ticket I got was for "70+". The judge and I agreed that I could not have been going a range of speeds.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marv Hushman posted:

Answer: We have no idea
Question: How many serial killers have slipped past cops of average intelligence who stopped them for a routine traffic stop.

That one cuts both ways old bean.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marv Hushman posted:

And Jim Fixx died of a heart attack while jogging. What does any of that have to do with the price of a prostitute at the temple of Hathor in Memphis, Egypt, 388 BCE? :confused:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Hey man it's all connected man.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Radbot posted:

Yeah you can learn to do it on the street but the track is the safer, faster, easier option. More expensive though.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
gently caress-ups in the process of loving up who need to be locked the gently caress up tend to overlook little details like tail lights and proper docs. I cited a few of the bigger fish that have been landed to counter earlier suggestions that this is done by GED holders purely for amusement and revenue generation, and provides no other benefit to society.

Also LOL at the notion that aggressive/speeding assholes on two wheels or four pose no danger to the general public. If it was flagrant enough to warrant a ticket, you more than likely had it coming (myself included). Those whinging over technicalities and taking time off work to play Dershowitz for a Day generally can't pay the fine or are habitual offenders facing bus time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So did my day of test rides, quick capsule reviews:

GSX-S1000: "Hmm, bit dull really, nice and smooth though, let's just crack the thrHOLY loving poo poo". That happened to me half a dozen times, and I finally understand the appeal of big inline 4s - totally docile and controllable but just waiting to throw the horizon at you as soon as you ask. Handling was really sweet and neutral too, and it just felt completely weightless at low speeds. If i go Japanese this will definitely be the bike for me because I can't see any situation I'm ever likely to be in that it couldn't handle with absolute aplomb - but it can also put a poo poo-eating grin on my face with just a fraction of a second of full throttle. The only thing that really put me off was the width of the tank, but that feels like something I could get used to.

MT-09:Meh, this is much more like what I was expecting a Japanese 4 to be like (yes I know it's a triple, shut up). The best that can be said is that opening the throttle makes the bike go faster, but a Striple manages to feel much faster despite giving up 200ccs and a dozen or so horses. Also the worst throttle response I've experienced on a twenty-first century bike, like first-gen EFI bad in one mode and badly-jetted carbs bad in the other. "Well you can fix that" said the dealer "but it does invalidate the warranty". Also are all Yamaha dealers pricks or am I just having really bad luck? I had to ring round 5 dealers to even get a test ride and the one I eventually got it off insisted on taking a thousand pound deposit and even then only let me have half an hour, on a used bike (with only 800 miles on the clock, possibly someone who realised just how loving bad the bike was after not being able to test ride one). It cornered okay, I suppose, but that loving horrible throttle response made smooth exits an impossibility.

Also nobody gets to make the "It's built down to a price" excuse for any bike that costs £7.5k OTR.

Z800: Come on guys I know you're called Kawasaki Heavy Industries but that's no excuse for making a midrange motorbike so heavy that there was a scooter orbiting it when I parked up. Seriously, it weighs 20 kilos more, dry, than the GSX-S, and seems to carry all of that weight somehow at a spot six inches above the top yoke. On the go it was actually a lot of fun (although that might have just been relief at no long being on the loving Yamaha), but that heaviness, and a tank and peg combination that made me feel like I was trying to give birth to a cow, just sucked all the fun out of it.

So I've given the Japanese their day in court (also test-rode a CBF1000 a few months ago - copy and paste the GSX-S review only considerably less so), and... probably going to stick with the Shiver for now. I *might* try and swing a test-ride on a Brutale and a Monster for completeness, but I can't see either of them offering enough more than the shiver to justify the step-up in price. Also if I buy a new Shiver (and the new one does look pretty loving sexy) that will involve going into a room that may contain a Tuono and terrible things are likely to happen then.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You should test ride a Tuono, a S1000R, and a SuperDuke.

Just do it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

You should test ride a Tuono, a S1000R, and a SuperDuke.

Just do it.

SuperDuke just doesn't appeal, the last few years models really have been pretty spectacularly ugly, and not in the interesting way the old ones were. I think you'll find the S1000 is a BMW and there's breath left in my body so that's out. Fortunately the Tuono doesn't come in black this year (or even red/black) so I'm probably immune to its charms.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

MT-09: ... Also the worst throttle response I've experienced on a twenty-first century bike, like first-gen EFI bad in one mode and badly-jetted carbs bad in the other. "Well you can fix that" said the dealer "but it does invalidate the warranty"...

Isn't that the same as a FZ-09? Yamaha has a dealer-installed ECM flash for the awful throttle response on the FZ-09. It's supposed to be a lot better; they are putting the updated ECM software on all the new ones and the FJ-09. I call bullshit that it voids the warranty.

The craptacular snatchy throttle was a major complaint I had about my Vstar 1300, too. Trying to maintain a steady throttle through a turn, just undulations in the road would effect it so much that it went from a little power to full on engine brake and back completely unpredicably. I had to feather the clutch all the way through 2nd gear in the city before I put on a O2 sensor resistor that did something to make it less bad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

SuperDuke just doesn't appeal, the last few years models really have been pretty spectacularly ugly, and not in the interesting way the old ones were. I think you'll find the S1000 is a BMW and there's breath left in my body so that's out. Fortunately the Tuono doesn't come in black this year (or even red/black) so I'm probably immune to its charms.

I mean, you should just go ride them because they're experiences you, as a motorcyclist, should have. The SD is a very unique bike all around, the S1000R is basically electrowizardry taken to the next level, and the Tuono sounds monster and is a beast as well. Yes, the SD isn't my favorite bike to look at but it's more than made up for by how it rides.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't see much of the bike from the saddle.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

The classic "when the lights are off, everyone looks the same" from a Buell owner.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You see even less of a Ducati 748 from the saddle. In fact you don't even see the bike, it's like you're floating over the road. But I must be making excuses for its ugly too eh

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

The classic "when the lights are off, everyone looks the same" from a Buell owner.

But they don't feel the same. :btroll:

edit:

clutchpuck posted:

You see even less of a Ducati 748 from the saddle. In fact you don't even see the bike, it's like you're floating over the road. But I must be making excuses for its ugly too eh

No, your schtick is being a Buell fan, come hell or high water. Please revise accordingly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

Yeah but a big part of bikedom, for me, is when you park up and look back at it and go "That's a nice looking bike right there". It's why I got so hung up on stuff like the indicators and swingarm on the GSR750, which realistically make absolutely no difference to how the bike rides but absolutely ruined it for me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

builds character posted:

No, your schtick is being a Buell fan, come hell or high water. Please revise accordingly.

I'll be the first to tell you my Uly is a fuggo uggo.

Anyhow, I'm a fun motorcycle fan. Ain't my fault the Uly is the most fun, ever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah but a big part of bikedom, for me, is when you park up and look back at it and go "That's a nice looking bike right there". It's why I got so hung up on stuff like the indicators and swingarm on the GSR750, which realistically make absolutely no difference to how the bike rides but absolutely ruined it for me.

Poser :v:

Nah, I get that. That's why the CBX customizations.

But you should still ride them, just so you can see what the dark side is like.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am finally moving away from buying used bikes and I am going to purchase a new bike. My old bikes have done me well but I'm planning on picking up a cheap bike for around 5-6k.

I want to finance it, not because I can't afford it outright but because I want to continue to build my credit. I live in California and it seems like all the financing options are such poo poo. First off its on average about 6% APR for motorcycle financing which is crazy. And secondly I've heard that I would need to get full coverage. I am terribly idiotic when it comes to these things and my google fu is failing me. When I go to get a quote from geico I can select comprehensive coverage with different levels of deductibles but would I also need collision and uninsured PD in addition to comprehensive?

It just seems like a terrible idea to finance a bike, is this true?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What sort of new bike are you planning on picking up for 5-6k and why?

If you want to build credit you're going to want a larger loan.

You will also need to get full coverage (collision, comprehensive, UIM, etc) because the financier expects to get something back if the bike is stolen/damaged.

Look for promotional financing, and see about getting a credit union to do your financing. I think I have 4% on the SD through a local credit union.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If you can afford it outright but still want to finance it for whatever reason, that might be a good case for a secured loan. If it's not a good deal less than 6% tell them to gently caress off with that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Z3n posted:

What sort of new bike are you planning on picking up for 5-6k and why?

If you want to build credit you're going to want a larger loan.

You will also need to get full coverage (collision, comprehensive, UIM, etc) because the financier expects to get something back if the bike is stolen/damaged.

Look for promotional financing, and see about getting a credit union to do your financing. I think I have 4% on the SD through a local credit union.

SR400 because I am a big dumb idiot, and nothing can change my mind.

Ugh it just seems like I should buy it outright. I am beefing my credit a number of ways, I already have really really good credit but I want better credit darnit! I have an auto loan for more right now as well. But I figured if I was going to get a bike might as well get good credit too, but it just seems like the hidden cost in the insurance requirements make it a bad bad idea.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

SR400 because I am a big dumb idiot, and nothing can change my mind.

Ugh it just seems like I should buy it outright. I am beefing my credit a number of ways, I already have really really good credit but I want better credit darnit! I have an auto loan for more right now as well. But I figured if I was going to get a bike might as well get good credit too, but it just seems like the hidden cost in the insurance requirements make it a bad bad idea.

If you're already beefing your credit in other ways, just buy it outright.

You should have full coverage on it though, regardless - it should be pretty cheap. Shop around.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You probably want comp, collision, and UIM PD anyway even if you don't have it financed. Those aren't really hidden costs as much as you'd be an idiot not to have them costs.

Building your credit requires passage of time as much time as it does actually using your credit, account age is a not-insignificant factor. Young credit accounts tend to actually hurt it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Again, I am a big dumb idiot. I assumed comp was kind of worthless. Where I keep my bike I am just about completely unworried of theft, and outside of that I don't see the point of comp. UIM PD, I suppose makes sense and obviously I do want collision.

I would probably get a relatively low-level bodily injury, property, and medical expesnes, but get a somewhat beefy UIM policy in case some idiot hits me.

I'm a big dumb idiot about insurance, but does that sound good?

If you are saying I should just get full coverage anyway then a loan is again starting to sound a bit more reasonable. I know about young credit accounts, but I already have an account with the place I will likely get a loan from. I just cannot find cheaper than 5.88% anywhere. If anyone knows some good credit unions or financing options I'd love to hear it because its hard to find cheap (wells fargo wanted 9%)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The hell, who did I piss off now?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Knifegrab posted:

Again, I am a big dumb idiot. I assumed comp was kind of worthless. Where I keep my bike I am just about completely unworried of theft, and outside of that I don't see the point of comp. UIM PD, I suppose makes sense and obviously I do want collision.

I would probably get a relatively low-level bodily injury, property, and medical expesnes, but get a somewhat beefy UIM policy in case some idiot hits me.

I'm a big dumb idiot about insurance, but does that sound good?

If you are saying I should just get full coverage anyway then a loan is again starting to sound a bit more reasonable. I know about young credit accounts, but I already have an account with the place I will likely get a loan from. I just cannot find cheaper than 5.88% anywhere. If anyone knows some good credit unions or financing options I'd love to hear it because its hard to find cheap (wells fargo wanted 9%)

My approach is:

- UIM PD - enough to buy the bike
- UIM BI - enough to cover my McBummercare out of pocket/deductible
- BI - ditto
- Comp - what if a tree falls on it or somebody backs over it in a parking lot? It's usually really cheap coverage
- Collision - no brainer - enough to buy the bike

I'd also like to know where to get cheap motorcycle financing. I have superb credit (2 mortgages will help that) but best I've been able to find was like 8%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
6% is pretty decent on a note that small. The banks are less inclined to do all that paperwork and assume risk for something they don't stand to make much profit on. Bikes depreciate rapidly and are otherwise hard to recover and resell if you default. So typically you'll get less impressive rates.

edit: The difference between 6% and 4% is about $160 over 3 years on a 5k note

kuffs fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 29, 2015