Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

maduin posted:

I'm genuinely curious, but is there a reason to use Waze now that Google Maps has integrated quite a few of their features?

They integrated some but I still feel that waze has more accurate or up to date accident reporting, speed trap, and traffic. Basically the social stuff is still better on waze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Waze has Arnold Schwarzenegger voice prompts.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe this was already answered but does Apple Music allow you to save songs for offline listening? I only pay $5/month for Spotify and if I can't even listen to music on an airplane, it may not be worth it to me to pay $5 extra EVEN WITH the ability to listen to Taylor Swift on Apple Music.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yup, there'll be offline listening.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hughlander posted:

Anyone know why some days Waze has a really low volume? I use it on my 6+ all the time and yesterday I just couldn't hear it in the car over the fans of the AC. I checked phone volume was at max and Waze sounds were on with biggest speaker symbol.
Might depend on how it's outputting sound...iOS has like 2-3 different volume levels. There's ringer volume, music/app volume, and I think another for Siri and/or another specific uses (which can be annoying to change the volume of).

Playing with it for a sec now it looks like Waze uses the app volume, while the volume slider in Waze itself (under its settings) is like a gain slider within/limited by the app volume. Sounds like you should've been fine since phone volume was maxed (hitting the rocket while Waze is open changes the app volume), unless maybe you're using Bluetooth and it didn't go through the usual channel you were expecting?

Was Waze open or just in the background? Kinda wondering if it might be using the ringer volume in the latter case for its notifications.

Minidust posted:

Waze has Arnold Schwarzenegger voice prompts.
And Vlade Divac!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

"Hazard ahead, get down!" is the best common prompt. I'm never getting rid of the Arnold voice pack.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there any iOS video editing app that lets me pull files from OneDrive, Dropbox etc or are they all locked into using videos on the camera roll?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why is Dark Sky not alerting me to rain? Do I need background refresh on?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why is Dark Sky not alerting me to rain? Do I need background refresh on?

How else would it know you've changed locations?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

decypher posted:

How else would it know you've changed locations?

Well even with refresh turned off, location services was still lit up 24/7.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I bet this question gets asked a lot, but what is the best way to download or play a direct MP3 link? The kind that you'd "right click/save file as" on a desktop? Specifically the trouble I'm having is that I'm trying to play 2 hour long MP3 files of radio shows, and streaming them through a browser sucks, you can't scrub through the playback, and they tend to crap out after a few minutes anyway. I thought if I installed the google drive app it would give me "save to google drive" options or something, but I can't figure out how to do this, I've tried in both safari and chrome.

There must be someway to download things to local storage or at least cloud storage for more reliable playback, right?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

super fart shooter posted:

I bet this question gets asked a lot, but what is the best way to download or play a direct MP3 link? The kind that you'd "right click/save file as" on a desktop? Specifically the trouble I'm having is that I'm trying to play 2 hour long MP3 files of radio shows, and streaming them through a browser sucks, you can't scrub through the playback, and they tend to crap out after a few minutes anyway. I thought if I installed the google drive app it would give me "save to google drive" options or something, but I can't figure out how to do this, I've tried in both safari and chrome.

There must be someway to download things to local storage or at least cloud storage for more reliable playback, right?

Yeah, there are a couple of ways to do this with Goodreader, then save it to a synced google drive folder if you want for some reason.

The one off the top of my head is to use the Goodreader browser and there's a save this file to... button. And a context menu as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think Workflow has a file Downloader but I'm not sure what it then does with the files.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Been trying chrome Remote Desktop on my iPad Air and it seems to get really hot pretty fast, are there any better free apps on the market? I just want to use it to cast spells and use skills in Everquest to get my skills up so it doesn't have to be amazing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WetSpink posted:

Been trying chrome Remote Desktop on my iPad Air and it seems to get really hot pretty fast, are there any better free apps on the market? I just want to use it to cast spells and use skills in Everquest to get my skills up so it doesn't have to be amazing.

:stare:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

WetSpink posted:

Teamviewer

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

Yeah, there are a couple of ways to do this with Goodreader, then save it to a synced google drive folder if you want for some reason.

The one off the top of my head is to use the Goodreader browser and there's a save this file to... button. And a context menu as well.
Otherwise if it's already playing in the browser (i.e. the URL is the direct link to the file) I think you can add "g" to the front (ghttp://) it opens up to download in GR. If you don't have it and would like a free option, assuming Readdle Documents is still around it has a similar functionality, where you use "r" instead. It also has a browser that can do the download thing in app too.

And then there's media player apps that can probably do it but I don't know what's free and good.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Heads up! Like Plex but don’t want to pay for PlexPass just to download media to your device? Air Video HD is free right now, and lets you do just that! It won’t replace Plex for me because I use Plex for photo and music storage as well, but I will definitely use Air Video for a simple one-click transcode option for the occasional long plane flight.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

japtor posted:

Otherwise if it's already playing in the browser (i.e. the URL is the direct link to the file) I think you can add "g" to the front (ghttp://) it opens up to download in GR. If you don't have it and would like a free option, assuming Readdle Documents is still around it has a similar functionality, where you use "r" instead. It also has a browser that can do the download thing in app too.

And then there's media player apps that can probably do it but I don't know what's free and good.

I just installed Readdle Documents and it works great. Thanks a lot!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Are there any translation apps out there for iPad that will handle offline translation to and from Japanese? I've just wasted far too much time looking for one and I'm starting to think offline translation just isn't possible on iOS. (The main recommendation out there seems to be Jibbigo/Lonely Planet, which has been discontinued as far as I can tell. Google Translate only does offline translation on Android because gently caress you.)

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
So who's going to try Apple Music tomorrow? I hope it's good enough to get me to unsubscribe from Spotify.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Beats, so I kinda have to, apparently. (I would, anyway.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

queertea posted:

So who's going to try Apple Music tomorrow? I hope it's good enough to get me to unsubscribe from Spotify.

It's free for three months, so I assume everyone? I'm really looking forward to it, personally, and hope the servers don't crash all day long so I can actually try it out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tomorrow is going to be a clusterfuck but I hope the revamped music app fixes my album list which 8.X managed to gently caress up after working fine for many many years.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

queertea posted:

I don't really stream music because bandwidth is expensive and storage is cheap, so I couldn't care less personally.

I might use it someday if it has good curated playlists, but Songza is free and good so I'm not really likely to switch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

queertea posted:

I'm gonna dick around with it but since they ain't gonna support SonoS, then I'm sticking with Deezer.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Feenix posted:

I'm gonna dick around with it but since they ain't gonna support SonoS, then I'm sticking with Deezer.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/28/apple-music-sonos-support/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Then I may switch by end of year. Depends on library. :)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'll definitely give it a whirl. Between the streaming, Match features, and the revamped radio stations with unlimited skips, $15 a month for myself and the mrs is a pretty good deal.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
uBlock dev has been working on an ad blocker using the new Safari content block thing in iOS 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJfyB6LrJs

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

japtor posted:

uBlock dev has been working on an ad blocker using the new Safari content block thing in iOS 9:

This brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

japtor posted:

Biggest shots fired at Google I have ever seen :cool: hell yeah

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'm planning to try out apple music tomorrow. Probably cancel my Spotify because three months of free streaming so why not.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

japtor posted:

Possibly the best iOS upgrade ever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
drat son!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

You guys know about Weblock, right? It basically gives you ad blocking in iSafari in iOS 8.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

You guys know about Weblock, right? It basically gives you ad blocking in iSafari in iOS 8.
Yeah I've been using it for a while, the issue with it vs a real ad blocker is that it can only block by URL rules. It does work for a lot of stuff, but there's also a shitload of stuff that'd either be a pain to set up rules for or needs more granular control like blocking in page elements to work at all.

...and there's the caveat that it only works on wifi cause you need that auto proxy field in settings to work, so even if Weblock might be great at home it's useless when you're on a cellular connection.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I'm looking for an app that will assist me in making word association charts. There are several word association games, but I'm looking for something I can use while writing to draw comparisons and organize my thoughts. Is there anything like this available, possibly even as a web app? Ideally it would offer suggestions, and I could have multiple word bubbles at a time.

E: Something similar to http://www.humanbraincloud.com/#view I suppose.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

japtor posted:

note: this is by the dev who took over ublock and instantly added a donation button and removed features, spurring the original dev to come back and fork off ublock origin to keep it how it was and just do bug fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I'll definitely try Apple Music, but I use the Spotify integration on PS4 so much that it'll be hard to switch permanently.