Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

drat Bananas posted:

I felt bad for the gullible guy until he said he had a degree in Marketing. Maybe I don't know what actually goes into obtaining that kind of degree, but if anyone should see though that bullshit shouldn't it be you???

('you' reddit poster, not 'you' goon I am quoting)

His wife was making all the money while he stayed at home with the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if this SEO poo poo was a way to feed his self-worth while he deluded himself into thinking he could double the family income.

Speaking from experience, mopping floors while your wife is out earning paychecks can do a number on your self esteem. And now he has no floors to mop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Kareem posted:

The idea is for the 529 plan to cover 2 years, we pay out-of-pocket for 1 year, and they take loans/save up for the last year with a goal of them graduating with no more than 20k in student loan debt.

And after they graduate I use all the money I'm saving to buy a horse.
That sounds like a bad plan vs just making them work for 15hr a week... Hey but at least it isn't $80-250k in undergrad debt!

drat Bananas posted:

I felt bad for the gullible guy until he said he had a degree in Marketing. Maybe I don't know what actually goes into obtaining that kind of degree, but if anyone should see though that bullshit shouldn't it be you???

You can't fight dumb. I think he should have seen through the bullshit too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

That sounds like a bad plan vs just making them work for 15hr a week... Hey but at least it isn't $80-250k in undergrad debt!

A kid could save every penny they make for 3 summers and spend it all on books and fees for one year. I paid for my own education, but it took me 7 years to do it and my GPA still haunts me to this day.

They'll have jobs and they'll save something for education - even if it's only spending money. But gently caress all thinking they can even make a dent in their education working at Subway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

If you really think working 15 hours a week at a low-end job can pay for an undergraduate education even at a public university, you are stuck in the 1970s. College costs are out control.

15 hours a week at $9/hr = $135/wk. Even if you did that every week all year that's $7000. That's not even one semester of tuition, fees, books, room/board, food, etc.

Not saying they shouldn't have part-time jobs for a little extra cash but it hardly puts a dent in the overall cost.

I worked 15-20hrs/wk (~$9/hr) while in school, full-time in the summers ~($15/hr), parents helped out, and still graduated with about 22k in student loans at a well-respected public university.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Cross post from another thread

it's a good read would recommend

No doubt he learned from the experience and is now going to fix his life. Let's see...

quote:

I really need to come through. Giving some thought into applying for a business loan and opening like a laser wash or a food trailer/van/truck?
:suicide:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
edit: read wrong, and I didn't even have a solid point. Ignore me.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 29, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

drat Bananas posted:

As someone with a liberal arts degree working in marketing for the past 10 years-- you may (or may not) be surprised at the number of marketing students or young professionals even from good universities that have no loving clue how marketing works. I see it when they get confused when random friends of theirs act irrationally and it's like "dude, you know that advertisements LIKE THE ONES YOU MAKE are designed to emotionally manipulate people into a specific behavior, right? RIGHT?" The next-level entertainment is when they're super susceptible to those advertisements and buy into everything genuinely, even when it's clearly some multi-national corporation just trying to pull at their heartstrings. 'GUYS, THE COKE HAS MY NAME ON IT WHOOOOOOOOOO! #HASHTAG'

People dumb, man. Can't teach smart or savvy.

Edit: God, the USC grad with a giant media company internship that worked for me for about 6 months. During the huge GroupOn rush:
We should use **whatever Amazon local deals was at the time.**
Okay, how should we use it?
I don't know... sell stuff on it?
Yes, it is a platform for selling items. We aren't a local vendor. We sell items internationally through a set of distributors. And the draw of that site is discounting, sampling. How do we discount product without hurting our price point and upsetting our distributors? And what are the demographics of that service's audience? Do you think our super niche products for 16-25 yo males are right for that audience?
...we should sell items on it! It's very popular.
Okay, get back to me with a plan on how we can sell items on it addressing the points I brought up.
(Never hear another word about it again)

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 29, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Kareem posted:

A kid could save every penny they make for 3 summers and spend it all on books and fees for one year. I paid for my own education, but it took me 7 years to do it and my GPA still haunts me to this day.

They'll have jobs and they'll save something for education - even if it's only spending money. But gently caress all thinking they can even make a dent in their education working at Subway.
I've never worked minimum wage, so maybe my thinking is skewed. Decent internships will pay low to high teens per hour, and occur year round. I have multiple friends who have done this, recently. I have others who haven't worked a day, didn't have family support, and will graduate with 6 figures of debt.

Guinness posted:

If you really think working 15 hours a week at a low-end job can pay for an undergraduate education even at a public university, you are stuck in the 1970s. College costs are out control.

15 hours a week at $9/hr = $135/wk. Even if you did that every week all year that's $7000. That's not even one semester of tuition, fees, books, room/board, food, etc.

Not saying they shouldn't have part-time jobs for a little extra cash but it hardly puts a dent in the overall cost.

I worked 15-20hrs/wk (~$9/hr) while in school, full-time in the summers ~($15/hr), parents helped out, and still graduated with about 22k in student loans at a well-respected public university.
Im not saying a $9/hr job will pay for tuition in whole. Not at all. I just graduated from a state school a year ago at 28 and fully understand the costs related. I'm not stuck in 70s pricing.

KK said he will pay for 3yrs of tuition/room&board for his kids. I was saying (meaning to say, perhaps) if the kid works PT/FT summers, they could supplement KK's money every term and graduate debt free.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. There is no way I think a traditional aged student can fully pay for their tuition unless have a really good job, which is super rare.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Guinness posted:

If you really think working 15 hours a week at a low-end job can pay for an undergraduate education even at a public university, you are stuck in the 1970s. College costs are out control. [...] Not saying they shouldn't have part-time jobs for a little extra cash but it hardly puts a dent in the overall cost.

I managed to land a lucrative piecework-from-home data entry job during my college years that covered all my living costs when combined with some bursaries and scholarships and then a research assistantship - and I still sometimes wonder if it was bad with money. My friends and I graduated right in the thick of the recession, and while I'm a lot luckier than those who are still paying off massive student loans, it took me about three years post-graduation before I could catch up in terms of earnings with the friends who had spent those extracurricular hours in industry-specific internships or volunteer gigs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

I've never worked minimum wage, so maybe my thinking is skewed. Decent internships will pay low to high teens per hour, and occur year round. I have multiple friends who have done this, recently. I have others who haven't worked a day, didn't have family support, and will graduate with 6 figures of debt.
Im not saying a $9/hr job will pay for tuition in whole. Not at all. I just graduated from a state school a year ago at 28 and fully understand the costs related. I'm not stuck in 70s pricing.

I get what you're saying. Ideally a student will contribute meaningfully towards their education. While I would never want my kids to do what I did, I'll also require my children to have a financial stake in their higher learning.

But realistically it's like when your kid wants to buy mom a ring for Mother's Day and gives you three dollars in coins. Your kid paying towards their education is more symbolic than anything.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Kareem posted:

I get what you're saying. Ideally a student will contribute meaningfully towards their education. While I would never want my kids to do what I did, I'll also require my children to have a financial stake in their higher learning.

But realistically it's like when your kid wants to buy mom a ring for Mother's Day and gives you three dollars in coins. Your kid paying towards their education is more symbolic than anything.
If you feel this way, maybe you should do parent plus loans - or pay cash for the last year.

I don't see a reason to *not* work PT, and especially FT summer work. I agree internships in field are worth a ton, but good internships are paid.

You seem to be thinking plenty about it *and* saving for your kids, so I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you guys.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

SiGmA_X posted:

I don't see a reason to *not* work PT, and especially FT summer work. I agree internships in field are worth a ton, but good internships are paid.

only in a small number of fields. engineering and finance you can expect paid internships but in most sciences and almost all lib arts you get nothing or only a token payment

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What exactly was the reddit guy that put his wife and kid on the streets doing? I mean, was it MLM scam bullshit or a legit business that he was just bad at?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

The Mandingo posted:

What exactly was the reddit guy that put his wife and kid on the streets doing? I mean, was it MLM scam bullshit or a legit business that he was just bad at?

Probably a bunch of this bullshit: https://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-special-offers/

In fact I'd be willing to bet it was mostly stuff off that exact forum.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Mandingo posted:

I think it was the sort of "business" that makes/steals crappy articles and posts them on a blog with a bunch of adverts. Not nearly as profitable as the business of taking money from idiots in exchange for worthless advice, apparently.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's weird to think about your studies in a vacuum - you don't think there would be some opportunities to do schoolwork, study, look for internships, etc that you missed out on by working part time instead? There's always opportunity cost to spending 15+ hours/week doing something.

Back of the envelope math:
The option here is a 15 hour/week part time job paying 10/hour. Assuming 39 weeks of the school year for four years, $10/hour, you're looking at $23,400. (Obviously lots of assumptions are encoded here and we can talk about them if you think they matter.) For me it's not hard to imagine 15 hours/week being leveraged into getting more/better job offers that could easily make one more than that over the next few years after graduating. Guaranteed? Nope. Field dependent? Of course. Regardless, "there's no reason not to work part time in school" is untrue.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
It probably greatly depends on field/school/area. I guess I over generalized, but it holds true for liberal arts (videography, journalism, politics, etc), finance, and tech. You don't have to flip burgers for a PT job. I did entry level financial analytics and bookkeeping, a few friends did programming, another worked at a finance firm (she's pre law, but found something really fun and applicable to do), another worked at political campaigns. There are lots of beneficial activities that pay money for students to do, and it's not like a full load of school means the student is entirely busy, at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Sure - research or a job in your field is quite different from a random part-time job, which is the typical advice I hear, sorry if I assumed there. A job that you can leverage as experience once you begin a full-time search is valuable, no question, as long as you don't compromise your studies for it.

It's not that you are entirely busy and every hour working is an hour you're falling behind, it's just that there's opportunity cost either way. Some of those hours would have, in retrospect, been better used working on assignment X or applying to internship Y or even just meeting Cool Person Z who hooks you up with a job later. It's definitely not something I'd tell every student to do unconditionally, even if it is in your field, it's something to consider and weigh the pros and cons of appropriately.

I'm talking about during the year of course - summer FT stuff seems like a no-brainer.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

His wife was making all the money while he stayed at home with the kids. I wouldn't be surprised if this SEO poo poo was a way to feed his self-worth while he deluded himself into thinking he could double the family income.

Speaking from experience, mopping floors while your wife is out earning paychecks can do a number on your self esteem. And now he has no floors to mop.

He was staying at home with the kids so he wouldn't have to pay child support to his first wife and kid (ending up at age 24 on your second wife with a child support obligation is BWM to begin with).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powerlurker posted:

He was staying at home with the kids so he wouldn't have to pay child support to his first wife and kid (ending up at age 24 on your second wife with a child support obligation is BWM to begin with).

Most jurisdictions have a concept of imputed income such that if voluntarily un/underemployed the spouse can still be evaluated -- for purposes of support payments -- to have the income that they could earn if they didn't choose to be unemployed. Not talking to a family lawyer may be BWM for his first wife.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Powerlurker posted:

No kidding. What a loving scumbag. Does his current wife not understand that this is reflective of his quality of person and not just "haha gently caress that other woman?" Yeah, lady, he'll gently caress over your kid too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Seems like a conclusion they could come to together either way. If they can't afford a sitter, then someone has to stay home, if she has higher earning potential than he does after child support, it might have been their best option for their family if not ethically. I doubt they're sacrificing potential income out of spite.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 30, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
One of his followup comments was about how he really needs to pull through with his "next business." I can forgive him for falling for one scam, sure, but to keep falling for the exact same scams on the exact same scam forum is absolutely ridiculous, especially when he's not pulling down any money himself. He's a manchild who sees his wife's 55k/year and thinks it's a bottomless well because it's a lot when compared to his allowance ten years ago as a teenager.

Having two children and owing child support that you don't pay to one at 24 is bad with life. Hopefully his current wife wises up and leaves him; he'd never pay child support for two children but $0 from child support beats $-20k from manchild support.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Desuwa posted:

One of his followup comments was about how he really needs to pull through with his "next business." I can forgive him for falling for one scam, sure, but to keep falling for the exact same scams on the exact same scam forum is absolutely ridiculous, especially when he's not pulling down any money himself. He's a manchild who sees his wife's 55k/year and thinks it's a bottomless well because it's a lot when compared to his allowance ten years ago as a teenager.

Having two children and owing child support that you don't pay to one at 24 is bad with life. Hopefully his current wife wises up and leaves him; he'd never pay child support for two children but $0 from child support beats $-20k from manchild support.

So he's a parasitic husband. The first wife he left with a kid and no support and he's gone and bankrupted the second wife and child. And he's still in his 20's! Imagine all the ladies/kids he's going to gently caress over before he's done.

The crazy part, to me, is he loved all the income his wife was making, presumably in a corporate environment where she got up everyday, put on a pantsuit, and did the whole cog in a machine thing. But for him? Nah, he'll do scams on the internet because he's his own boss.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Quite a bad bad with money.

http://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3bla4g/shellshocked_by_sudden_10000_bill/

quote:

Long story short, I just got a mailing from the state Medicaid program indicating I owe $10,000 for the years my husband was in a nursing home on Medicaid. They're just catching up with their cases. This is in addition to old medical bills of his and recent bills of my own. I am totally shell-shocked. This will take every extra cent I have and not leave anything to pay the other debts. Plus, I am in my early 60s and have no retirement savings. I work full time and realize I will be working full time for the rest of my life, but it won't be enough. This evening I've been looking at job listings, but it's very hard to find part time jobs that coordinate with full time hours, and my age is against me. Feeling desperate - can anyone offer any helpful suggestions? I do have family, but nobody has any money, we're all just getting by.
Not even sure why I'm asking, except that my mind is reeling right now.

Early 60's is a bad time to still be paying off debts.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Today, my sewage drain clogged up. My wife noticed when she went into the garage this morning and smelled the poo poo backed up into the slop sink. I was already at work and she had to leave, so it baked in 90 degree heat all day. It was a real stinky mess.

My dad was a plumber, so I own a small hand-crank snake and know how to use it. Rolled up my sleeves and got to it.

After about 45 minutes of getting the snake as far as it would go and pulling out some heinous stuff, it still wasn't unclogged. I admitted defeat.

The plumber ended up going on the roof with his heavy-duty snake. Out $225, and I still got poo poo all over myself trying to be frugal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think it was the sort of "business" that makes/steals crappy articles and posts them on a blog with a bunch of adverts. Not nearly as profitable as the business of taking money from idiots in exchange for worthless advice, apparently.

Yeah, there's a whole slew of these "make thousands a month from home while doing NO WORK YOURSELF!" and they're usually one of two things:

1) Buy/write/steal blog posts/Youtube videos about some topic. They'll always market it by saying something like,
"If you choose a topic you love, you'll always be able to make great content and it won't feel like working!" and stuff the drat thing full of ads.

Or 2) Sell a bunch of cheap Chinese crap on eBay/Amazon and have them drop-shipped through Alibaba/DealExtreme.

The end result is both will likely fail because there are a LOT of people out there doing this crap, and trying to make yourself stand out is very hard. So you either say,
"Welp, guess it's not that easy, lesson learned" or you're like this idiot and decide all you need to do is spend $5000 on an SEO course (and however much more it is to register and run Google Analytics, Coremetrics, etc... accounts) so that your lovely blog will get some hits, and THEN you'll make money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Inverse Icarus posted:

Today, my sewage drain clogged up. My wife noticed when she went into the garage this morning and smelled the poo poo backed up into the slop sink. I was already at work and she had to leave, so it baked in 90 degree heat all day. It was a real stinky mess.

My dad was a plumber, so I own a small hand-crank snake and know how to use it. Rolled up my sleeves and got to it.

After about 45 minutes of getting the snake as far as it would go and pulling out some heinous stuff, it still wasn't unclogged. I admitted defeat.

The plumber ended up going on the roof with his heavy-duty snake. Out $225, and I still got poo poo all over myself trying to be frugal.

This is the opposite of BWM. BWM would have been just calling the plumber right off the bat when you (potentially) have the knowledge/equipment to fix it yourself.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Most jurisdictions have a concept of imputed income such that if voluntarily un/underemployed the spouse can still be evaluated -- for purposes of support payments -- to have the income that they could earn if they didn't choose to be unemployed. Not talking to a family lawyer may be BWM for his first wife.

My suspicion is that he had his first kid at a point where he didn't have much of a baseline income so his initial child support payments were probably fairly low.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, there's a whole slew of these "make thousands a month from home while doing NO WORK YOURSELF!" and they're usually one of two things:

1) Buy/write/steal blog posts/Youtube videos about some topic. They'll always market it by saying something like,
"If you choose a topic you love, you'll always be able to make great content and it won't feel like working!" and stuff the drat thing full of ads.

Or 2) Sell a bunch of cheap Chinese crap on eBay/Amazon and have them drop-shipped through Alibaba/DealExtreme.

The end result is both will likely fail because there are a LOT of people out there doing this crap, and trying to make yourself stand out is very hard. So you either say,
"Welp, guess it's not that easy, lesson learned" or you're like this idiot and decide all you need to do is spend $5000 on an SEO course (and however much more it is to register and run Google Analytics, Coremetrics, etc... accounts) so that your lovely blog will get some hits, and THEN you'll make money.

The whole subculture of "internet marketers" out there who write spammy blogs stuffed with affiliate links is hilarious. They get extremely butthurt when Google catches on and updates their algorithm to get their crappy affiliate blog to disappear and they seem to truly believe in their heart of hearts that they are actually creating "high quality" content. It gets even better when you see some of these people's blogs and most of them are just selling training and advice for how to succeed in online marketing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inverse Icarus posted:

Anytime you call a professional and only spend what was essentially the service call fee, you're in high cotton.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powerlurker posted:

My suspicion is that he had his first kid at a point where he didn't have much of a baseline income so his initial child support payments were probably fairly low.

That affects spousal support, but child support can shift with (real or imputed) income by either parent. It's still his kid, he didn't divorce him/her.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Devian666 posted:

Quite a bad bad with money.

http://np.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3bla4g/shellshocked_by_sudden_10000_bill/

Early 60's is a bad time to still be paying off debts.

I dunno, it depends on her living situation and medical situation building up to this, the '00s were loving brutal if you slipped through the cracks

I mean I won't call her wise with money but some people just get hosed by the system, and you can't lay all of it down on them

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm amazed this guy was stupid enough to keep falling for these online courses and never quite realizing that he could just as easily make this poo poo up and market it to other idiots.

Also, despite having two kids they went and bought a new car last year on a one-income household right after his wife gets a nice job making 55k.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

BraveUlysses posted:

Also, despite having two kids they went and bought a new car last year on a one-income household right after his wife gets a nice job making 55k.

I found it crazy that he figured his family was set for life once his wife landed a job making 55k. I mean it's nice to make 55k but that's not a huge amount for a family

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I found it crazy that he figured his family was set for life once his wife landed a job making 55k. I mean it's nice to make 55k but that's not a huge amount for a family

Jfc, my household income is well north of that and I still couldn't imagine raising kids on it. Maybe 1, but a couple? I dunno.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone catch the story over the weekend about Greeks sinking their money into used luxury cars?

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/world/greeks-crisis/greeces-car-dealers-prosper-amid-widespread-hardship

The markets and banks are so bad that putting your money into a depreciating asset is the only way to keep it safe. It seems like withdrawing everything and burying it in an urn would be smarter though. If it's not in a bank then Greece can't convert your Euros to whatever-is-considered-money-next-week. And while your urn could get stolen, so can your used BMW.

triplexpac posted:

That's more-or-less the median family income for the United States. So bravo, terrible-father-search-engine-optimizing-dude - your family was literally in the middle.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

That's more-or-less the median family income for the United States. So bravo, terrible-father-search-engine-optimizing-dude - your family was literally in the middle.

Yeah, but when all your experience with working somehow involves you giving other people money, I bet any kind of regular salary seems really impressive.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Did anyone catch the story over the weekend about Greeks sinking their money into used luxury cars?

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/world/greeks-crisis/greeces-car-dealers-prosper-amid-widespread-hardship

The markets and banks are so bad that putting your money into a depreciating asset is the only way to keep it safe. It seems like withdrawing everything and burying it in an urn would be smarter though. If it's not in a bank then Greece can't convert your Euros to whatever-is-considered-money-next-week. And while your urn could get stolen, so can your used BMW.

expensive cars that can be readily driven across the border and sold may be the best legal hedge against your euros being instantly poofed into unstable monopoly money at the moment. Greeks can't take more than like 200 euro out of the bank per day right now.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I'm still stuck on the SEO guy that ruined his family. I mean... what the gently caress did he spend all his money on?

What are these "coaches" and "training programs" telling him to do? What good/service was he trying to sell?

I know people that do SEO stuff, and while it seemed like spammy junk to me, my understanding of it was they'll tell some dentist or doctor's office - "hey want me to get you to the front page of google for 'dentist in north Texas'? Ok that'll be $500/month" and they make spammy junk blogs that push up someone's website to the front page. Is there more to it than this? I'm concerned for my dumb SEO friends now :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The Mandingo posted:

I'm still stuck on the SEO guy that ruined his family. I mean... what the gently caress did he spend all his money on?

What are these "coaches" and "training programs" telling him to do? What good/service was he trying to sell?

I know people that do SEO stuff, and while it seemed like spammy junk to me, my understanding of it was they'll tell some dentist or doctor's office - "hey want me to get you to the front page of google for 'dentist in north Texas'? Ok that'll be $500/month" and they make spammy junk blogs that push up someone's website to the front page. Is there more to it than this? I'm concerned for my dumb SEO friends now :ohdear:

You get a kit and training to make a website to resell products nobody would particularly want at 30% above retail. When you don't have any customers it's your fault for not being a good enough salesman, so you should attend another training seminar.

• Locked thread