Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
How can someone be considered pro-Iraq war when they have later admitted to being wrong about that decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A trumped up beauty pageant whose primary ratings competitor is a half-season replacement medieval musical called Gallivant is the number one news in Presidential primaries right now. Thank you, Donald Trump, for adding the seasoning to this election season.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Trump tries so hard to sound like Genghis Khan. "Weak, foolish NBC!"

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

I am running for President to Make our Country Great Again

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Sorus posted:

How can someone be considered pro-Iraq war when they have later admitted to being wrong about that decision?

By being dishonest?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Job Truniht posted:

By being dishonest?

you know nobody likes the Iraq war or thinks it was a good idea anymore right

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Job Truniht posted:

By being dishonest?

Their mouths say no, but their hearts say yes!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

Double post for double the Trump.

When Trump is president I hope he continues using weird third person but really not in all his press releases.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Maybe now NBC can use that freed up timeslot and money to bring Hannibal back, a show better than any other on television right now.

At least, until the first Republican debates.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Venom Snake posted:

She holds a bunch of unpopular views. Just read that whole list. I guarantee you that a full blown Syrian intervention would happen within her first term, no matter how bad of a loving idea that is. I'll :toxx: if it means I'm not loving around with this claim.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SedanChair posted:

Trump tries so hard to sound like Genghis Khan. "Weak, foolish NBC!"

Somebody call Ruben Bolling, because an actual Saturday Morning Cartoon villain is about to kick everyone off his golf course. Mr. Trump wants to make our country great again, and that's why I will crush the puny skulls of the weaklings!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a shameful boehner posted:

Maybe now NBC can use that freed up timeslot and money to bring Hannibal back, a show better than any other on television right now.

At least, until the first Republican debates.

Somebody needs to watch The Americans. (Please do I don't want it cancelled either)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

There really isn't any doubt that Hillary will lead an expansion of Syria intervention in her first term. Her only public beef with Obama since resigning as SoS has been to say he's too weak on Syria. She hasn't learned anything from Iraq or Libya.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Phosphene posted:

Uh. Also remember when Trump posted that letter from Jorge Ramos? The one with his personal number on it?
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/615328534215696385

@realDonaldTrump: .@jorgeramosnews Please send me your new number, your old one’s not working. Sincerely, Donald J. Trump

Not sure if this was posted. LOL

Holy poo poo, thats basically "haha, get doxxed bitch.". I cant believe this is happening, Im so happy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

There really isn't any doubt that Hillary will lead an expansion of Syria intervention in her first term. Her only public beef with Obama since resigning as SoS has been to say he's too weak on Syria. She hasn't learned anything from Iraq or Libya.

Libya was a success.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

bpower posted:

Holy poo poo, thats basically "haha, get doxxed bitch.". I cant believe this is happening, Im so happy.

That's the saddest doxx I've ever seen.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

We've come full circle. I've made my case before. If that doesn't convince you, if you guys are really that eager to support military adventurism and Cold War styled imperialism, so be it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It's easy for her to say now. Once she gets into office, the unpopularity of boots on the ground won't be any different than it is now.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Libya was a success.

yeah a resounding success, we managed to transform a nation in a two way civil war into a nation in a four way civil war, and hand ISIS and al qaeda territory in northern Africa to boot

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

SedanChair posted:

It's easy for her to say now. Once she gets into office, the unpopularity of boots on the ground won't be any different than it is now.

That would be the best outcome.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i mean yeah, we got someone to stick a knife up that mad dog qaddafis butthole, which is i guess a success if the world is a 1980s action movie

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I'm not sure that a regime that was using AA guns against protesters was one that was long for this world in any case.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

if the world is a 1980s action movie

Well, we do have a bumbling villain calling his opponents "weak" and "foolish,' so...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

An important claim went unchallenged here, which is that supporting Israel and doing something more effective (or at least more visible) about ISIS, Syria, Iraq and Ukraine are unpopular. I'd say the current state of affairs and Obama's foreign policy are somewhat unpopular because the Republicans have had an effective angle to hammer Obama on, since the situations in all of these affected countries have basically been getting worse and the options to do something about them besides watch them burn down have also worsened.

Maybe you don't like the possibility that Hillary will be more aggressive in some ways in her foreign policy. Asserting that it would be unpopular, however, or that candidates will be running toward less intervention or involvement than Obama's had, though, seems a tall order. You didn't like the Libya intervention? It was basically as light as an intervention can get aside from Syria, unless you also want to come out against the Coalition airstrikes that helped save Kobane - which is actually a good example, because the U.S. wasn't even going to intervene to save Kobane until public pressure forced their hand, a clear case where a lack of action was unpopular.

Why don't we discuss how the current appetite in the U.S. appears to be toward more action, and then discuss who we might prefer in charge of that effort between Clinton and Bush - or rather, any human alive on earth today and another Bush. If Bernie wants to try and campaign on continuing or scaling back Obama's level of foreign involvement he's welcome to, but I don't see much evidence of that making headlines yet.

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'm not sure that a regime that was using AA guns against protesters was one that was long for this world in any case.

Counterpoint: Assad's still here, years later, because not even gas attacks could rouse the world enough to intervene.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Dolash posted:

An important claim went unchallenged here, which is that supporting Israel and doing something more effective (or at least more visible) about ISIS, Syria, Iraq and Ukraine are unpopular. I'd say the current state of affairs and Obama's foreign policy are somewhat unpopular because the Republicans have had an effective angle to hammer Obama on, since the situations in all of these affected countries have basically been getting worse and the options to do something about them besides watch them burn down have also worsened.

Maybe you don't like the possibility that Hillary will be more aggressive in some ways in her foreign policy. Asserting that it would be unpopular, however, or that candidates will be running toward less intervention or involvement than Obama's had, though, seems a tall order. You didn't like the Libya intervention? It was basically as light as an intervention can get aside from Syria, unless you also want to come out against the Coalition airstrikes that helped save Kobane - which is actually a good example, because the U.S. wasn't even going to intervene to save Kobane until public pressure forced their hand, a clear case where a lack of action was unpopular.

Why don't we discuss how the current appetite in the U.S. appears to be toward more action, and then discuss who we might prefer in charge of that effort between Clinton and Bush - or rather, any human alive on earth today and another Bush. If Bernie wants to try and campaign on continuing or scaling back Obama's level of foreign involvement he's welcome to, but I don't see much evidence of that making headlines yet.

Counterpoint: Assad's still here, years later, because not even gas attacks could rouse the world enough to intervene.

I can't wait for President Clinton to come in and start a few more wars in the Middle East! :iamafag:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dolash posted:

Might need to rethink your position if the shining example for non-intervention in the Middle East is Syria.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Job Truniht posted:

We've come full circle. I've made my case before. If that doesn't convince you, if you guys are really that eager to support military adventurism and Cold War styled imperialism, so be it.

And the GOP is somehow less kill horny?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gravel Gravy posted:

Might need to rethink your position if the shining example for non-intervention in the Middle East is Syria.

Maybe I misinterpreted, but if your point previously was intervening in Libya wasn't necessary to bring down Qaddafi because his tactics were brutal so he'd be overthrown, well, Syria is the example of why that doesn't have to be the case.

Anyway, being completely anti-intervention still means saying it would've been better for ISIS to overrun Kobane, if Libya's too tricky a needle to thread, and it's still an example that for Presidential politics reasons it might be hard to run without offering some kind of action on these wars instead of more wait-and-see.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 29, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Feather posted:

"Red vs. Blue" is a childishly simplistic lens through which to view this complicated system of government we have.

Considering how often posters in this forum (correctly) accuse the GOP of acting like spoiled schoolyard brats, this shouldn't come as any surprise.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Trump is making this election much more entertaining. I hope he lasts for a while in the Republican Primary.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Job Truniht posted:

She holds a bunch of unpopular views. Just read that whole list. I guarantee you that a full blown Syrian intervention would happen within her first term, no matter how bad of a loving idea that is. I'll :toxx: if it means I'm not loving around with this claim.

As if you weren't getting banned before January 2021.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Dolash posted:

Maybe I misinterpreted, but if your point previously was intervening in Libya wasn't necessary to bring down Qaddafi because his tactics were brutal so he'd be overthrown, well, Syria is the example of why that doesn't have to be the case.

Nah, my point was in response to:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah a resounding success, we managed to transform a nation in a two way civil war into a nation in a four way civil war, and hand ISIS and al qaeda territory in northern Africa to boot

Would Gadaffi still be in power if nobody intervened? Not sure, though any Western democracy would be hard pressed not to take the opportunity to recognize the NTC and afterwards not providing some support without seeming impotent.

The idea though that Libya would be better off had Gadaffi burned 75% of the country is debatable.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Dolash posted:

Anyway, being completely anti-intervention still means saying it would've been better for ISIS to overrun Kobane, if Libya's too tricky a needle to thread, and it's still an example that for Presidential politics reasons it might be hard to run without offering some kind of action on these wars instead of more wait-and-see.

What American military intervention in the Middle East has been, in the long term, a success. Only one I can think of is the Barbary Wars, and even then we had to fight two of em.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would Gadaffi still be in power if nobody intervened? Not sure, though any Western democracy would be hard pressed not to take the opportunity to recognize the NTC and afterwards not providing some support without seeming impotent.

The idea though that Libya would be better off had Gadaffi burned 75% of the country is debatable.

Gaddafi was a terrible rear end in a top hat tyrant but him retaking power was probably preferable to ISIS and Al Qaeda controlling large swaths of the country and the rest divided between anarchic militias fighting a seemingly endless civil war.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

What American military intervention in the Middle East has been, in the long term, a success. Only one I can think of is the Barbary Wars, and even then we had to fight two of em.

Not sure if you'd rank it the same since we didn't send actual troops in, but the US telling Britain, France, and Israel to knock it the gently caress off during the Suez Crisis wasn't the worst thing we've ever done.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Gaddafi was a terrible rear end in a top hat tyrant but him retaking power was probably preferable to ISIS and Al Qaeda controlling large swaths of the country and the rest divided between anarchic militias fighting a seemingly endless civil war.

Assuming he'd be able to retake power in the first place. Don't suppose there is any precedent for ISIS/al-Qaeda using a civil-war to further there own faction in other states is there?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Every and no action anywhere is a success or failure depending on your definition of "longterm".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Venom Snake posted:

Ask Jeb. And then ask him again four days later.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Mister Macys posted:

Considering how often posters in this forum (correctly) accuse the GOP of acting like spoiled schoolyard brats, this shouldn't come as any surprise.

That is a really fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I think we should just let California burn. Every year there's a new forest fire and no effort really seems to have any long term effect.

• Locked thread