Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Too late, now you'll trap them in and it'll just smell like rotting squirrels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Adiabatic posted:

I keep waiting for my roommate (who is reading this thread right now) to pop the question.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it any less gay. No way. Count me out, my love.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I can't believe you paid real money to MAKE ME THE HAPPIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MrsAdiabatic posted:

Just because it's legal doesn't make it any less gay. No way. Count me out, my love.

hahahahaha. Amazing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got a screen for the drain:

Cleaned out the drill press:

Tried plugging this sucker in, and sparks flew:

This may be the cause of the issue:

Much better (and now grounded...):

Put some bolts on this guy too:

Shop drill press!

Meanwhile, the Missus has been working on finishing the cabinets:

and Badger has been inspecting my work on the french drain:

I dare say I'll call it good. I'm in need of some sort of grating for the traffic portion, but Lowes didn't have anything. I'll return to it when it settles a bit.

Adiabatic posted:

Finish the dumb Comanche heater core why haven't I finished this it will literally take an hour
Finish the dumb garage cabinets why haven't I finished this
Build a drain for the garage entry pad
Finish my chain link fence project behind the garage
Get the front and back yard looking respectable
Rearrange/clean up the garage
Get the BMW idling
Get the BMW's exhaust welded
Get the BMW's interior manageable
Get the BMW out of my life for good
Work on the wood tools and get them operational
-----Drill Press
-----Table Saw
-----Joiner
-----Radial Arm Saw
-----Band Saw
Do something about that nasty rear end shed Leaving it
Fix the megafucked gate to the backyard
Dig, prep, and hire concrete layers for a driveway from the gate to the garage

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What kind of BMW do you have?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wrar posted:

What kind of BMW do you have?

A crappy convertible that I want to buy, but he wants too much.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

To be fair, asking anything for it is too much.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I once drew dicks in the dust buildup on the BMW. Then everyone else at the party did too. Someone buy his dickcar.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

iForge posted:

I once drew dicks in the dust buildup on the BMW. Then everyone else at the party did too. Someone buy his dickcar.

Is the dickcar still sitting in the yard? To be fair it doesn't look too terrible for a dickcar.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yep. It needs a new interior, new top, new shocks, and I need to figure out why it won't idle. My buddy and I went halfsies on it while he was putting a K20 into a CRX (he still isn't done with that) and he got bored / got married / is having a kid.

We bought it with a broken timing belt and junked valves/cams/cam bearings. Put a rebuilt head on it and got it to idle on 4 cylinders, but when we discovered and fixed the giant air leak on cylinder 6 due to a double gasket on cylinder 5's intake runner, it stopped idling. It could be timing (we rushed that part) or it could be a fuckup with the vacuum system going to the FPR or something equally retarded. We bought it with the head off, so who knows. I have literally put 0 hours into diagnosing the issue so far.

I'm buying him out for $400, not because I'll make any money on it, in fact I'll probably lose money out my rear end fixing it up. I'm just stubborn and I don't like quitting on a project. It's not even sunk cost fallacy, it just taunts me whenever I look at it and I must fix it.

Paint's good, though.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pics of the BMW from way back in the thread:

Also lol @ cabinet chat:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Marry him, if you have to.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

awww yay my poop wagon made the bmw picture collage cut

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
E30s are trash and should be crushed.

But seriously check for vacuum leaks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also, if anyone was curious about that rally car build, here's the link:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t206079-fervor-rallysport-97-obs-rally-car.html

Not sure why, but the pictures aren't coming up for me. Might be the work laptop, might be I need to register. Let me know if they load for you.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Pictures load fine. Its u, ur the one with the bad internet

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How much did you spend on gravel? I've been looking at bulk prices lately, and it's surprisingly cheap per ton.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Probably way more than I should have. $7/cu ft.

Edit: At 1.13 tons per cubic yard, that's $167.25/ton.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 29, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Woof. 'Round these parts, you can get it for something like $14/ton + $40 delivery.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah, I'll definitely go bulk when I do the driveway. I just vastly underestimated how many bags of gravel I'd be needing for the trench.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
It's shocking how little a bag of river rock (pea gravel) goes. Hell, I just helped dump and grade my in laws driveway, it took 4 truck loads, and it still could use another truckload.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Cement, concrete, stone, sand, gravel, firewood, etc are all things that are staggeringly expensive in homeowner quantities.

I can get a cord of firewood for $180, or I can buy a bundle of like six pieces for $11. Sand and gravel are like 20-50 bucks a ton at the gravel pit but it's like 3-4 dollars for a 60lb bag at home depot.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It's shocking how little a bag of river rock (pea gravel) goes. Hell, I just helped dump and grade my in laws driveway, it took 4 truck loads, and it still could use another truckload.

My old house - the driveway needed some new gravel. Driver basically was able to lay it out in two passes rolling along. Hardly had to do any shoveling. Sometimes, it's worth it to pay the extra.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Also, if anyone was curious about that rally car build, here's the link:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t206079-fervor-rallysport-97-obs-rally-car.html

Not sure why, but the pictures aren't coming up for me. Might be the work laptop, might be I need to register. Let me know if they load for you.

everything about this thread is perfect, right down to the Founders' Breakfast Stout.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

everything about this thread is perfect, right down to the Founders' Breakfast Stout.

:3:

I'm pretty sure I wasn't the one in the introduction story who asked him if he was cold, but I was THERE, MAN.

Also I think that's the Sno*Drift we started the tradition of "jousting", by having the small dudes (Jake being one of them) ride on the backs of the larger dudes (me), and having the jockeys beat the poo poo out of eachother until one fell off. The "horses" also started beating the poo poo out of eachother after a few rounds. Basically just an excuse to be gay and beat the poo poo out of eachother.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

Cement, concrete, stone, sand, gravel, firewood, etc are all things that are staggeringly expensive in homeowner quantities.

I can get a cord of firewood for $180, or I can buy a bundle of like six pieces for $11. Sand and gravel are like 20-50 bucks a ton at the gravel pit but it's like 3-4 dollars for a 60lb bag at home depot.

Done by tons down there? Weird. We do it all by the yard. And its roughly $20 a yard for A gravel (just went through 6 yards, need 2 more). Black earth is like $22 a yard. Fairly cheap. And I got a zero-cost delivery because I'm literally 3 minutes from the pit :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I might be brainfarting on it. It has been a long time since I even priced stuff out, since my landscaping isn't happening for a long rear end time and I don't go through concrete fast enough to buy it in bulk because it turns into a solid block from humidity.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

I might be brainfarting on it. It has been a long time since I even priced stuff out, since my landscaping isn't happening for a long rear end time and I don't go through concrete fast enough to buy it in bulk because it turns into a solid block from humidity.

Fair enough. Had to build the wife some raised garden beds, as well as put a gravel pad down for a new storage shed, so went through a ton. Need another 2-3 yards for that and to raise the area around the house up.
I hate home ownership hahah.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Over here, most places will do you a large bulk bag for a given aggregate. Usually something like 850kg. Compared to buying the little 25kg sacks, even a retail-biased place like Wickes will be about 30% cheaper that way. Still a lot less to have it loose by the ton, but I haven't done that for ages, and a lot of places prefer not to tit about with small loads. Of course, the cheapest option is to go collect yourself if you're able to.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I crossed two off the list, so homeowners will understand that it only makes sense to add two more:

Adiabatic posted:

Finish the dumb Comanche heater core why haven't I finished this it will literally take an hour
Get the BMW idling
-----Drill Press
-----Table Saw
-----Joiner
-----Radial Arm Saw
-----Band Saw
Engine-From-Hell Coffee Table
SV-650 front tube seals/brakes/tire

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just get a GSX-R front end for the SV. It really makes the bike better.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I would, but I love the mono-headlamp and I already have the tube seals.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I had a gixxer swapped sv650 that kept the SV mono-headlamp. It was done by the previous owner tho. If you already have the fork seals then oh well. However keep your eyes out for a junk gixxer front end. Really transforms the bike. Would also recommend an LSL triple clamp for the gixxer forks so you can still use a handlebar.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Get the BMW idling
-----Drill Press
-----Table Saw
-----Joiner
-----Radial Arm Saw
-----Band Saw
Fix the grill
Fix the overheating problem with the Comanche

Pretty sure this one's only because I don't have that electric fan in. The only time it overheats is when I've just been on the highway for more than 20 minutes and I'm now going slow. I figure the heat soak, the lower RPM of the mechanical fan, and the lack of the electrical one is the perfect storm here.

Because it was wired to the hood toggle switch. They megafucked the connection so I'm gonna have to rebuild it once I find where the presumably butchered wiring harness take-off is located.

trem
Sep 17, 2009
More Magic is the answer

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

trem posted:

More Magic is the answer

Oh lord now I need to make a "Magic / More Magic" switch.

My truck is overheating, so the answer is obviously to work on the wood tools more. Let's get this pile of garbage started:

Not even gonna try to turn it on with this mess coming out of the motor:

Craftsman, when they didn't suck:

This is just after I wired the new power cord onto the motor, and just before I realized there was a switch on the frame:

Used the section of old wire that wasn't as busted as MrsAdiabatic's sister:

"Vintage":

None of the terminals were labeled:

Yaay time to bust out the multimeter.

...Except resistance testing all the terminals gave infinite resistance.

New switch time:

"Bench testing":

Wired and ready for the switch:

Still got that old and busted look. It's like a resto-mod, right?:

First startup, complete with lovely house music and Badger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRZsLm37YM8

Next up, this pile gets wired in properly:

Adiabatic posted:

Get the BMW idling
-----Drill Press
-----Table Saw
-----Joiner
-----Radial Arm Saw
-----Band Saw
Fix the grill
Fix the overheating problem with the Comanche

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The issue with putting it back in as it was stock is you swapped to an open cooling system IIRC. The RENIX efan uses a thermal switch screwed into the driver side rad tank to turn the fan on. The open cooling system radiator has no hole for that sensor...

I will have to think about this a bit.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's still closed system. I'm gonna test the control sensor for the fan for sure, but it's much easier that it's stock.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

oh! Well yeah then slap it in, find what the chucklefuck PO heehawed in the harness, and plug it back in like you planned I guess. I keep confusing your truck and iForge's, due to them (and mine) being clones of each other with a variety of different mods done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Took the air box out and found these suspicious wires:

Whyyyyyyyyy...

Fixed:

Alright, so the Comanche fan is a pretty simple circuit.

It has a relay for the A/C (who cares at this point) and a separate relay for the high temp switch on the radiator. The high temp switch is simple enough... it bridges the power and ground wires running to it when the thermocouple senses temperatures over 218°F.

The connection from the harness to the temperature controller is also in the picture above. If we just trick it by jumpering the connection:

The relay will get the signal saying "oh poo poo this fucker's hot" and should turn the fan on.

If the fan turns on, the relay is good. If it doesn't, either the fan or the relay are bad, and I'll probe the fan power (the wires I just fixed) to determine whether the relay is giving power to the fan or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ShSJZGOhwk

Fan's good(ish), relay's good. Temp switch might be hosed, and I'm assuming it is since the redneck PO's wired the fan straight to the battery like imbeciles. I'll drive it around, and if I never hear that obnoxious noise in the video, I'll know which part is poo poo. Further testing can be done by resistance testing the other side of that jumpered connection while the temp gauge is on.

Bonus Badger pic for sticking with me this long: