Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dolash posted:

That's pretty much in line with what Obama's done so far. His opinion on Ukraine would also be useful to help situate his foreign policy stance, but since Obama's pretty much doing the bare minimum at the moment I suppose at worst Sanders would roll back the sanctions and stop providing what little aid is being offered, I suppose that might signal to Putin that it's safe to just annex Eastern Ukraine the way he did Crimea but basically pretty in line with Obama's current policies. He might also change policies concerning Yemen or the drone program and while those are important issues in their own right they're somewhat smaller parts of the overall "reduced/non-intervention" stance.

So if Sanders could be seen as a continuation of Obama's foreign policy or further disengagement, while Hillary's continuing/expanding, how much space is there between her and the Republicans on foreign policy? If it's Bush or some other host body for the Neocon policy shop, they could ride the desire for action on ISIS all the way to full military re-engagement with large deployments of ground troops in the Middle East (in Iraq, sure, but maybe even in Syria), but is there space for Hillary to campaign on more involvement and action on these crises without getting pulled into another quagmire?

The Iran deal merits attention as well. I guess that depends on whether a deal can be worked out in time before Barack's term is up, but so far what's Hillary's stance been on it? Is she really part of the "throw it out, double the sanctions" camp?

I think she's part of the "no deal is better than a bad deal" camp. The actual one, not the one where you say that and then try and drive through a deal just to say you accomplished something in foreign policy in 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Dolash posted:

That's pretty much in line with what Obama's done so far. His opinion on Ukraine would also be useful to help situate his foreign policy stance, but since Obama's pretty much doing the bare minimum at the moment I suppose at worst Sanders would roll back the sanctions and stop providing what little aid is being offered, I suppose that might signal to Putin that it's safe to just annex Eastern Ukraine the way he did Crimea but basically pretty in line with Obama's current policies. He might also change policies concerning Yemen or the drone program and while those are important issues in their own right they're somewhat smaller parts of the overall "reduced/non-intervention" stance.

My overall impression is that Clinton is more hawkish and interventionist than Obama, and that Sanders is significantly less so when it comes to starting new fights. In terms of handling ongoing situations, though, I think he'd be likely to cautiously step things down over time rather than rush to disengage.

We're talking specifically in terms of military intervention/engagement here, though. I don't think Sanders is isolationist, just that he would lean more heavily on diplomacy and negotiation and set a higher bar for the use of military force - especially unilateral force, which I see as a key distinction.

e: I agree that it would be interesting to hear Sanders' thoughts on the Ukraine situation. I don't know if he's addressed it publicly or not. If anyone finds something, I'd love a link.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 29, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Question: Is NBC scheduled to broadcast any Republican Primary or straight any of the general election debates?

Just wondering because surely Trump is gonna have a pouty feud with them after being booted.

Out of the nine debates the RNC have already sanctioned, CNBC has one in October and NBC/Telemundo is doing one in February.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Rick Perry explains Texas like you're five.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvyoFSFB94s

I don't know what's happening in this election, but I don't want it to stop.

Texas is just never going to forgive us for stealing SEMATECH's headquarters, are they?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Pohl posted:

How many people have to point out how disingenuous you are before you start to even loving think about the idea?
Add me to the list I guess, I'm tired of your stupid analysis.

No. Either you shut up, or defend her foreign policy. She was Secretary of State. She wrote a whole book about it, and how unapologetic she was about her record. That reversal of her view on Iraq in no way reflects or ideology or her voting record. There is absolutely nothing but her word to verify her claim.

I get that Hillary supporters are genuinely interested in blindly defending any and all of her policies without any serious consideration. The political base she's trying to build is just a mash of feel good bullshit and a set contradicting ideas: pseudo populism social liberalism, a very conservative foreign policy, and a pro-Wall Street economic policies. Things will fall apart because of it, and you're going to get everything you deserve.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Job Truniht posted:

No. Either you shut up, or defend her foreign policy. She was Secretary of State. She wrote a whole book about it, and how unapologetic she was about her record. That reversal of her view on Iraq in no way reflects or ideology or her voting record. There is absolutely nothing but her word to verify her claim.

I get that Hillary supporters are genuinely interested in blindly defending any and all of her policies without any serious consideration. The political base she's trying to build is just a mash of feel good bullshit and a set contradicting ideas: pseudo populism social liberalism, a very conservative foreign policy, and a pro-Wall Street economic policies. Things will fall apart because of it, and you're going to get everything you deserve.

I'm not a Hillary supporter I'm just tired of you making GBS threads up the thread. We get it, you feel strongly about your opinion. I appreciate that.
Your opinion doesn't have to dominate the thread, however.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I may have missed this earlier but Jindal apparently said this to Chuck Todd on Sunday:

quote:

If I were afraid of polls, we wouldn't have privatized our charity hospital system, we wouldn't cut our state budget 26%, wouldn't have cut over 30,000 state government bureaucrats, wouldn't have done statewide school choice.

Those are things he's proud of'; things the GOP wants to do on a national scale. What kind of christian salivates over turning a charity hospital into a for profit entity?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Supraluminal posted:

My overall impression is that Clinton is more hawkish and interventionist than Obama, and that Sanders is significantly less so when it comes to starting new fights. In terms of handling ongoing situations, though, I think he'd be likely to cautiously step things down over time rather than rush to disengage.

We're talking specifically in terms of military intervention/engagement here, though. I don't think Sanders is isolationist, just that he would lean more heavily on diplomacy and negotiation and set a higher bar for the use of military force - especially unilateral force, which I see as a key distinction.

e: I agree that it would be interesting to hear Sanders' thoughts on the Ukraine situation. I don't know if he's addressed it publicly or not. If anyone finds something, I'd love a link.

I think the only place he could really step down militarily at the moment compared to Obama is easing off of ISIS and providing aid to Iraq. Starting new fights is a bit of an intangible outside of the situations that are already ongoing, beyond that you're probably right that if something unexpected happened people's gut instinct is Sanders is the least likely to get militarily involved.

I'm curious if Hillary being more hawkish and interventionist will be as big of an impediment as it was in 2008, which was basically the peak of Iraq war fatigue as everyone came around to how stupid that invasion in particular was. The last eight years have seen a lot of situations reach the boiling point and there's at least some appetite for more proactive steps to fight groups like ISIS (something they've deliberately cultivated in hopes of a rash overreaction, true) or help Ukraine. I wonder if it's possible to thread the needle where Hillary can actually run on being more engaged than Obama while still differentiating herself from the Republican approach of massive invasions. I guess we might have to wait and see if someone really will broach foreign policy in the primary to see if attitudes have changed.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

radical meme posted:

I may have missed this earlier but Jindal apparently said this to Chuck Todd on Sunday:

Those are things he's proud of'; things the GOP wants to do on a national scale. What kind of christian salivates over turning a charity hospital into a for profit entity?

Those are all horrible things. I will say, most charity hospitals already earn millions in profits and function just like private hospitals so at least he helped to make them honest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pohl posted:

Those are all horrible things. I will say, most charity hospitals already earn millions in profits and function just like private hospitals so at least he helped to make them honest.
What do they do with those profits though? I mean they could plow that money into capital improvements, hiring a new penis doctor, starting a fund to cover cancer treatments for the indigent.

I think maybe if we had two separate primary threads it might be better. You could have one where people scream about :shillary: and another for the yucks that are coming from the GOP clown car. (More of a clown rig at this point)

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Pohl posted:

I'm not a Hillary supporter I'm just tired of you making GBS threads up the thread. We get it, you feel strongly about your opinion. I appreciate that.
Your opinion doesn't have to dominate the thread, however.

Alright, I'll stop

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 29, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Nessus posted:

What do they do with those profits though? I mean they could plow that money into capital improvements, hiring a new penis doctor, starting a fund to cover cancer treatments for the indigent.

They overpay the executives, deny service to anything really costly, and then expand. They buy out every single independent doctor in their market, and when they've done that, they look at outside counties or states. If they need to, they build expansive hospitals in low density communities. It is all a loving tax dodge. They aren't helping the poor, because they have an extensive screening process that determines if you can pay. If they say you can pay (you almost always can), they come after you hard. If you can't, the government pays for it. Then they still come after you. They aren't charity at loving all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

Show where it was.

It's great and all that you keep putting words into my mouth, but the US has been doing routine surveillance flights of the region, training Libyan forces and doing advising for the Libyan government, providing equipment, running secret prisons (which Patreaus was blamed for), and running air strikes. That counts as military presence, and the Libyan government that we installed would crumble without it.

And no, that's not true, nor is that consistent with your previous statement that the Europeans "acted on their own" and "started it first".

It was proven, sorry.

Where are the current Libyan secret prisons run by the US military? Last I checked they got evacuated post Benghazi.

The Europeans did act on their own and did start first.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He made quite a bit of noise about getting into the race last year, I wanna saw well before Bernie had made any real moves at all, and certainly prior to the universe deciding it needed to gutpunch Biden at least one more time.

Yeah but other polls have dropped him already. It just seems like at this point if a candidate hasn't at least done some real campaigning or actually (un)officially announced then he should not appear in this kind of poll.

Nessus posted:

The last time I worked at a "non-profit" hospital, internal communicationd unironically referred to patients as "units of revenue." It was the kind of thing that made clear why all the decisions about "capital improvements" and exhorbitant executives' salaries were made the way they were.

Feather fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 29, 2015

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

radical meme posted:

Government jobs aren't real jobs.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

New campaign logo for Carson:

That'd be kind of cool if the font stayed the same in transition rather than awkwardly change.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EasyEW posted:

Out of the nine debates the RNC have already sanctioned, CNBC has one in October and NBC/Telemundo is doing one in February.

Well, sounds like we'll have some extra Trump drama come October I hope!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Someone used Photoshops ruler and made sure the letters lined up this time. I'm very proud of them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

What world do you live in that foreign policy is ever done by any nation out of altruism?

"Eh, may as well" low-cost interventions to make oneself look good or prevent regions from collapsing into much more expensive hellholes may as well be altruism. (The pragmatism comes in which pending hellscapes get ignored.)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

The Europeans did act on their own and did start first.

You must have a gift for twisting words for that to be true.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Those wacky rapists are at it again!

http://www.wbez.org/news/culture/local-brewery-turns-tap-trump-112272

quote:

Local brewery turns off the tap for Trump
June 29, 2015
By: Monica Eng

Local microbrewery 5 Rabbit Cerveceria is cutting ties with Chicago's Trump Tower lounge in ongoing fallout over Donald Trump's recent comments about Mexican immigrants.

The Latin American-born owners of the Bedford Park brewery had been making a house beer for Trump Tower´s Rebar for the past few months. It was a joint effort with the restaurant’s bar manager, and the relationship had been going well according to 5 Rabbit founder and co-owner Andres Araya.

But after the presidential hopeful characterized Mexican immigrants largely as criminals and “rapists” in a speech earlier this month, Araya and his partners decided to end the relationship.

“We would be doing an injustice to the community we serve (and live in) by engaging in business with someone who does not accept our role in society and expresses a rhetoric of hate and ignorance towards us,” Araya wrote in a statement to WBEZ Monday.

“On a personal level, if I did, one of the things that scares me the most is sending the wrong message to my daughters. We are active members of this immigrant community and we need to stand up for ourselves, and more importantly, for those who do not have the voice or means to do so. The very foundation of the United States of America was built on acceptance and inclusion. That is what drew us here, and that´s what why we feel so strongly about this.”

“As a company, an integral part of our vision reads that we are ‘not only based in, but also look to promote a strong and positive image of Latin America, its heritage and people.’

It would be hypocritical of us to sustain the relationship.”

Araya says that the 50 remaining kegs of the summer golden ale will be sold to bars around town under the name “(Expletive) Tu Pelo."

Trump, who is vying for the Republican presidential nomination, was in town on Monday to give a speech to the City Club of Chicago. Asked if he had any regrets over the comments on Mexico, Trump stood firm. He said that every time he talks about Mexico he’s “accused of being a racist.” Then he cited a figure from the Huffington Post saying that 80 percent of girls smuggled from Central America are raped.

Across the street from the City Club speech, Mexican Americans staged an anti-Trump protest calling him a racist and urging NBC to cut ties with the reality TV star.

NBC said Monday that it is ending its business relationship with mogul and GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump because of comments he made about immigrants during the announcement of his campaign.

NBC said it would no longer air the annual "Miss USA" and "Miss Universe" pageants, which had been a joint venture between the company and Trump. Trump has said he is no longer appearing in the television show "The Apprentice." NBC said "Celebrity Apprentice" will continue to go on without him.

"At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values. Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump," NBC said in the statement.

Last week Spanish language network Univision called Trump’s comments “insulting” and announced it will not air the Miss USA pageant next month. Trump is part owner of the pageant and said Monday he still doesn’t know what will happen with that deal.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

I can't tell if this response is weird in a good way from an advertising perspective or what, but it's weird.
-cars on america?
-Oh, Ben Carson.
-Wait what was with Carson America?

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Does this hurt the valuation on his brand name?

Are there any Trump Products marketed in Spanish?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Were gonna need a bigger thread :stare:

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

bpower posted:

Were gonna need a bigger thread :stare:

80% of the posts in this thread are about how unstable Lybia and Syria are.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

:catstare:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Like, did he make eye contact with the black families in the audience while he said that?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gee.

Thanks.

Nobody had ever noticed that until you pointed it out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Feather posted:

I think we're only about 5 posts from Team Bernie agreeing that Hillary is "the lamb without blemish" while Team Hillary accepts that Bernie is "the way the truth and light". I mean, it's not like we're going to argue for pages and pages and months on end in a futile attempt to get other people to agree that the elephant in the room is in fact huge, not jumbo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is he crowdsourcing a platform?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Feather posted:

Libyas, labias and LGBTs, oh my.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

It's pretty bold to go an event called the Aspen Ideas Festival and say "Welp, I got nothing, any of you have any ideas?"

sexy fucking muskrat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 30, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Zelder posted:

Like, did he make eye contact with the black families in the audience while he said that?

I don't know if you have noticed but slavery is pretty bad. Maybe if we worked together we could find some ideas to make things better.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The best part of Trump getting kicked off his own reality TV shows is that his schedule has just opened up to double-down on his campaign. Before we were just looking forward to counting how many debates he would be able to ruin with his presence, but now we can also run a tally on how many business partnerships he scuttles before he finally calls it quits.

Or maybe Fox News / the RNC will follow suit and disavow him for is failure to dogwhistle flagrant violation of fundamental American values.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Voyager I posted:

The best part of Trump getting kicked off his own reality TV shows is that his schedule has just opened up to double-down on his campaign. Before we were just looking forward to counting how many debates he would be able to ruin with his presence, but now we can also run a tally on how many business partnerships he scuttles before he finally calls it quits.

Trump has always had a firm expiration date, when he has to file a formal financial disclosure and not that B.S. he published already, he won't do it. That only goes into one, maybe two debates.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
WOW wrong thread sorry

Chafey fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 30, 2015

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Gyges posted:

I think we're only about 5 posts from Team Bernie agreeing that Hillary is "the lamb without blemish" while Team Hillary accepts that Bernie is "the way the truth and light". I mean, it's not like we're going to argue for pages and pages and months on end in a futile attempt to get other people to agree that the elephant in the room is in fact huge, not jumbo.

The elephant is yooge.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Is this real life?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Please let him be Joe the Plumber 2016... Please let him be Joe the Plumber 2016... Please let him be Joe the Plumber 2016...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Bel Shazar posted:

Please let him be Joe the Plumber 2016... Please let him be Joe the Plumber 2016... Please let him be Joe the Plumber 2016...

Only if he promises to wear that hat at all public appearances.

• Locked thread