Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
head58
Apr 1, 2013

Oath Complete!

My entry for June, and for that super sweet Hordes 10th Anniversary box, all hail stabbington first of his name!

I'm looking forward to painting stuff up for the rest of the season. I needed some motivational peer pressure to get me off my duff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

:krakken: Oath Complete! :krakken:

Here we go! This thing was aweomse to paint and kind of a gigantic pain too!

I mad e the water using Porcelanicron, a clay that... I believe is called Cold Clay in english? It's like plastiline that hardens and shrinks after three days after it contacts air.

Details!

I was a bit of a loss about what to do with the large circles on the model's back when I remembered that some animals use fake eyes to freak others out, so I went for THAT.

And, sadly, there is no posing challenge this year ( so far) but I still went ahead and took this:

Cheers!

OH! krush! I got my brushes! Can't wait to try 'em out! :D

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Don't know if I'll finish my oath on time, but I did get some Spring Cleaning done.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

This was all cool and I like it. Post more.

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
OATH COMPLETE!
Claiming I rolled a six! as this is a relic objective marker and June technical challenge because there is evil water in the pool of evil from which the evil hand is rising holding an evil book. Evil.

The book comes off of the hand so it can be taken as the relic, for those of you familiar with the WH40K relic mission.

Lord Thrust fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 30, 2015

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Edit: Also these are Hordes/Warmachine Models!

Water Effects Jurnul!

Its the stuff right around the base by the snow, I tried to make it look like it was melting.

Speed Painting:

Spring Cleaning:

Pash fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 30, 2015

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

OATH COMPLETE!

Went for the vacationing theme. This orc has a lot of Reality Bubbles to visit and he needs to be good and drunk to get through it.

The chariot part came out really well (the blue is not as bright as it is in the photos) but the mice looked bad, as always, and I experimented with blue wash on the orc, which was just too dark. On the bright side, I figured out my wood scheme after two years, and the leather on the bags doesn't look half bad either.

Germ
May 7, 2013

OATH COMPLETE!

The June technical challenge is the pools of brackish water accumulating in the decaying ruins. Not where I'd want to vacation, but then again I'm not a mutated swamp gatorman. Or am I?

I've got such a thing for modular terrain, it's a little bit embarrassing at times. The system consists of an area terrain base, some columns, and some scatter terrain (the two other small pieces of scatter terrain I oathed are those bits of rubble poking up from the larger pool). Got a bit overzealous in filling the pools - next time, I wont add so much.

The columns can be slotted into the square recesses.

You can also add some of the fallen columns and other scatter to provide more cover and rough ground.

If it gets in the way when you're trying to move troops on, you can remove part of it, and replace the columns with the flat inserts.

Or remove it all to flatten it out.

And here are the Warp Spiders, the start of my Void Dragon Corsairs Eldar army:

EDIT: Here's what the area base looked like before it was filled. Those pools could just as easily be left unfilled, or partially filled.

Germ fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 30, 2015

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:OATH COMPLETE! 5 Arcane tempest gun mages from Privateer press:siren:

No challenge completed again.

Black_Nexus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 30, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Germ posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

The June technical challenge is the pools of brackish water accumulating in the decaying ruins. Not where I'd want to vacation, but then again I'm not a mutated swamp gatorman. Or am I?

I've got such a thing for modular terrain, it's a little bit embarrassing at times. The system consists of an area terrain base, some columns, and some scatter terrain (the two other small pieces of scatter terrain I oathed are those bits of rubble poking up from the larger pool). Got a bit overzealous in filling the pools - next time, I wont add so much.

The columns can be slotted into the square recesses.

You can also add some of the fallen columns and other scatter to provide more cover and rough ground.

If it gets in the way when you're trying to move troops on, you can remove part of it, and replace the columns with the flat inserts.

Or remove it all to flatten it out.

And here are the Warp Spiders, the start of my Void Dragon Corsairs Eldar army:

EDIT: Here's what the area base looked like before it was filled. Those pools could just as easily be left unfilled, or partially filled.

God drat. I guess I'll set aside some bucks for the next kickstarter, if you're still into the production thing.

Germ
May 7, 2013

drgnvale posted:

God drat. I guess I'll set aside some bucks for the next kickstarter, if you're still into the production thing.

10-4, good buddy! Though it'll be a while. I want to develop the idea further. I'm playing with different styles of columns to change the look, and other pieces in the same theme.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
:sun: Oath complete! :sun:

I'm claiming Box Art for the Psyker and Sister of Battle

I got a bit carried away and forgot what the actual theme for journal was, but everyone's ready for a day at the beach! The orc has dressed up in its nicest summer dress with pink flowers and the goblin has some sick waves painted on his shield. The dark elf has managed to find the one beach where it apparently isn't nice and sandy. Dark elves hate fun.

Ninjaedit: Oh poo poo, the theme was traveling and not beaches. Uhh, the goblin is traveling on a giant spider?

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
My oath is technically done but I'm afraid to pull off the ring around the water effect tomorrow as I poured a little deep and not positive it's fully cured.

Would it count complete to take the picture with the ring on the 30th then a followup with that removed on July 1st as I'd be more confident of everything being set by then?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Just edited into my oath completed post that the stuff I did this month (some of it) was for Hordes/warmachine.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Hmm last day eh?

I WhiteOutMouse Oath one chaos space marine biker (on horse) GW mini, 28mm. Chaos knight and chaos spacemarine bits.

Also, 24hour challenge since there is less than 24hours left. Might as well.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Been having some trouble getting my new camera to work well, so the focus on these is kinda wonky.

Privateer Press model, was really a pleasure to paint.

Carnevale Doctor. For the Challenge I tried to make him look like he was in the summer rain, using darker desaturated colors and rain splashes in the water on the base. Since so much of it relies on clear or reflective sections, it's hard to get a photograph to show it off properly. I enjoy the effect though, and will probably try and do the rest of my starter in this manner.

For my KR Multicase, I decided to go for the Box Art Challenge, and duplicate the art on the cover of the rulebook. It was really labor intensive, but I'm glad to have done it.

Signal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 1, 2015

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Uh. Holy poo poo.

Have you worked with freehand airbrush before for this kind of thing? that's really well done.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

This was actually my first time! It was an odd mix between "a lot of fun," and "super-stressful."

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

There's water effects in the filthy bog my champions are fighting over.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath complete!

I'm looking forwards to getting these guys into battle and stomping the big gun into position!

I was going to try and put some water on the bases of these guys but ended up deciding against it. Still I've tried using some greenstuff to sculpt a more interesting landscape and to differentiate the squads a bit.

And the spring cleaning:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Oath Completed!

Krushgroove, I am unsure if you ever accepted my oath for this month, could you please double check?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hmm last day eh?

I WhiteOutMouse Oath one chaos space marine biker (on horse) GW mini, 28mm. Chaos knight and chaos spacemarine bits.

Also, 24hour challenge since there is less than 24hours left. Might as well.

Oath Complete!

Challenge/Theme: Water and summer!
I did snow (water) but since I wanted to mix it up a touch I decided to go with a more slushy version of my snow, to represent the summer heat!
Technically it was just adding more gloss varnish to my WLS snow flock but it was the best I could do with the short time I gave myself.

Compare to my normal snow style. Left is more fluffy and less slushy than the right.
Again, the left model was not in this oath, it was from last year.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Another month of actually finished painted models.

I was going to take a month to paint up a fantasy warband, but that isn't going to be happening now.

The Plaguebearers will go on my Wordbearers pile, and my mechanicus is now at 600 points painted.

Next month more mechanicus to take me to 1000 points so I can get some fully painted games in.

No challenge this month.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

Also claiming jurnal! Sadly, there is no real ocean in Malifaux for folks to travel to and kick back (at least, that anyone's found), so these Gremlins have taken a sight-seeing trip from the Bayou to the city of Malifaux, where they've found an active drain to relax next to. They've also brought along a copious quantity of that other summer liquid, alcohol, in the form of a massive (to a Gremlin) Whiskey Golem. Why haul your booze when it can haul itself?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Oath complete

8 Dwarves

already on round bases in readiness for Age of Sigmar. Just kidding, they are for Saga

1 beach diorama

“Red Legs” Asad knew that the Rosy Maiden was doomed the moment the Undead's vessel hove into view. As any wise first mate would he ran for the Captain's bunk; not to rouse him, but to rob him. Snatching the small chest from below the Captain's bed, he dove off the deck the cries of his former ship mates in his ears as the monstrous crew of the cursed ship tore them apart. The oak and iron chest nearly dragged him down to his death, but with sheer determination he swam to shore with his treasure and his life intact. Having escaped the unholy demons of the death ship he now needed to plan his return to port to buy his own ship and raise a crew. Captain Red Legs, he liked the ring of that...

Claiming jurnal and Backstory

1 KR Multicase

Claiming special KR contest Can anyone identify the markings without Google's help?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Holy poo poo, that looks perfect! (Took me two guesses though. :( )

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Under 15 posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Loving the gently caress shield ;)

Great work as always, seeing your bright orcs is one of my favourite parts of the Oaths thread.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete

No challenge or name for points or anything, we're just doing this.

Dagon fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 1, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE!

No special themes or anything this month.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

Jurnal
Water effects used on both bases! for the incubus, the water flowing within the veins of the machine he is landing on. For the Harbinger, however, the water turned out disastrous and after trying to salvage it I ended up with lava, which probably doesn't count but the incubus' base makes up for that.

Also, Harbinger is a Privateer Press Warmachine model, so I think it counts for that draw.

I didn't have enough time to enter the KR Multicase contest unfortunately. Next time! If there is one, anyway.

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oath Complete!

One Otherworld Dark Priest!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Oath-postin' time...my favorite time of the month. :allears:

Anyhoo, :siren: OATH COMPLETE! :siren:

This month's oath contained a lot of sculpting, scratchbuilding, and some resin casting, at none of which am I any good. But here you go.

Orks on da Beach!!! :frogsiren:

Pictured: Klork Grizwaaagh, enjoying one of the local cocktails; unidentified grot companion, attempting to get rid of tan lines despite interference from Grizwaaagh's shadow. Both are pretty well soused on many bottles of Pilzna Orkell.

Apologies for the camera angle on this.

For this month's challenge, I admit to getting all excited about a vacation-themed piece, and by the time I plotted it out and started converting, I realized I'd forgotten to include a vehicle. Thus, I switched courses and went with the technical challenge, water effects.

The cooler full of ice water and beer is a solid piece of clear resin, dolled up with some colored glazes (and extra plastic on the sides to hide the many, many casting imperfections). The empties on the base were also resin casts, painted up with ink wash and Future. Less successfully, I played around with the lighting a bit, in the form of angled shadows from a lower light source (hence the grot angrily telling the ork to move, dammit).

Oh, and also Steampunk Battlepope High Exemplar Kreoss from Privateer Press! I went for a colder grey-white look to his robes, offset by warmer colors on the trim (which included Red Gold and White Gold from Vallejo's Liquid Metal line of alcohol-based paints).

Fuller gallery is here.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
What happens if I can't complete my oath on time :(?

Do I...do I become a bad person :ohdear:?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

papasyhotcakes posted:

What happens if I can't complete my oath on time :(?

Do I...do I become a bad person :ohdear:?

You and me both, kiddo. We're going to... save da whales!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
In days gone by, painters who failed their oaths would get stuck with receive a special "Oath Breaker" avatar, usually a custom pic drawn by a fellow goon. So breaking one's oath was almost its own reward for some posters. Nowadays they don't automatically do that anymore...although it's still possible to get an avatar if you ask nicely. (Did we cover this in this year's OP, or am I thinking of last year?)

And yes, you get a chance to Save the Whales! by finishing the oath late... see the OP for details!

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

jodai posted:

You and me both, kiddo. We're going to... save da whales!

SAVE DA WHALES! (just checked the OP, thanks!)

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Between the floods and work, I'm going to have to Save the Whales as well :ohdear:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Complete!

Shorts Marine; Hannah, Freikorps Archivist; Seishin; Drowned

My camera decided to go all glowy for some reason, and I can't figure out how to fix it, sorry.

These continue my Malifaux Kirai crew black-white-red theme from a couple of years ago. The Drowned is covered in water effects, and the red dot on her finger is a very large ring - she got drowned by her fiancés family I think :ohdear:

Shorts Marine is my Technical Jurnal for his water effect waves.

He's got his fishing rod, board shorts, and a tinnie a can of beer

And a lovely Hawaiian pattern of ferns and frangipanis on his shoulderpads.

I carved out the sides of her book (and my thumb), as the original render was far more detailed than the final plastics and I wanted to recreate the look by adding the hollows and page textures.

Her tome has arcane script, which my bf has decided is Malifaux machine code.

She's also got water effects in her base, and I've carved the main Malifaux faction symbols (Crows, Rams, Masks, Tomes; the same ones used on the cards) into the rock around the rose, which I also sculpted from greenstuff.

Finally, my KR Multicase!

I used heavy gloss gel (aka my water effect goop) mixed with light brown acrylic paint to create a textured, wood-grain-like surface. This was washed with a darker, more reddish brown acrylic paint, and then the boards were lined in black. I made the nails from greenstuff lumps and painted them with Boltgun Metal as there weren't too many of them. The back and sides of the case have been painted with plain black acrylic paint.

Here's the case In Battle at the weekly Malifaux night! I'll take photos of my actual minis when I play a game too, don't worry

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete! :henget:

A mix of Mantic, Stonehaven and Hasslefree figures, taken with terrible, terrible lighting.

I added some metal shield decals from Mantic, so I can use my Khador Warmachine as a proxy for a greater golem in Kings of War.

I'm claiming I Rolled a 6! for the 'Mithril Throne'

Also Spring Cleaning! A purse of gold to the man who identifies the film in pic two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Bad cell phone photo, but I moved a week ago and I'm exhausted, oath complete:

No journal, unfortunately, ran out of time.

• Locked thread