Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pierogi posted:

Commando is a movie about two estranged lovers, Bennet and Matrix. Matrix left Bennet for a woman and the latter never understood why. Bennet grew angry over the years, sent goons after Matrix to convert him back to the gay life. Matrix entertained the idea, he even penetrated one black rear end in a top hat but these were all short flings. His repressed feelings exploded during the final confrontation. The saxophone solo underlined steam room sex scene is the last time Matrix tangles with Bennet, brings him to explosive orgasm but at the end he finally decides to go back to the hetero lifestyle, with a new ladyfriend. As he says to the uniformed daddy in the last scene when asked if he'll ever go back "No chance".

The best is how the first exchange he has with another man in the movie is when he suddenly comes up behind that colonel and sticks his huge knife to his back and the colonel says "Silent and smooth, just like always."

Also "Why don't they just call him Girl George." Arnold knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That eyebrow raise on the "you". :swoon:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Could someone explain the misspelling of "Genesis" for me, as it's stopping me from go watch the movie? I'm sure there's an explanation; it could be an abbrevation or a title for something, but it's bugging me to no end, and it actively prevents me from seeing the film as I'm a pedantic jerk.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

THE BAR posted:

Could someone explain the misspelling of "Genesis" for me, as it's stopping me from go watch the movie? I'm sure there's an explanation; it could be an abbrevation or a title for something, but it's bugging me to no end, and it actively prevents me from seeing the film as I'm a pedantic jerk.
"sys" as in computer speak for "system"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

THE BAR posted:

It's a blending of Genesis and System. And yeah, it looks super dumb.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Aaaah... And.. They went with that for the subtitle? With no explanation? That's not catchy at all, what were they thinking?!

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Is it too expensive to run movie plots and titles by focus groups or can any half baked idea get a $200M budget with the right stars attached?

I am a big Terminator fan and Genisys as a word made no sense. Knowing the intention of it I am nerd raging about it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

THE BAR posted:

That's not catchy at all, what were they thinking?!

-cocaine noises-

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
It's only in America, though. In every other country it's Terminator: Megadryve.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Aaaah... And.. They went with that for the subtitle? With no explanation? That's not catchy at all, what were they thinking?!

They already had a subtitle with "Rise of blah" and the last one was called "Salvation". And since Matrix 2 took "Reloaded", they really didn't have anywhere else to go. Some days I think I might like the title for how try-hard it is, because lol get it the fifth movie of the franchise is the genesis of the franchise because time travel, also systems because machines.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's only in America, though. In every other country it's Terminator: Megadryve.
:golfclap: I laughed.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

:haw:

That's it, show's over, folks.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

THE BAR posted:

Yep! Well other than the play on words it's Skynet! Not exactly a big spoiler there of course.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

:laugh: That'd actually kinda work too :ssh:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

After the ad that ran in front of Jurassic World at my theater, I think I have seen literally every setpiece and plot point this movie has to offer via preview, including the ones not in the longer commercial. I guess the marketing guys have learned nothing from JJ Abrams.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

THE BAR posted:

Easier to trademark.

That and it's an in movie company / product if I'm not mistaken

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Can't wait for Terminator-CD and Terminator 32X in 2017 and 2018.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can I share just about the grooviest song ever?

Arnold related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJdMjRHRLfg

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Immortan posted:

With all the negative reviews coming out, Skydance Productions CEO David Ellison & Dana Goldberg "insist" that James Cameron Wasn’t Paid A Cent To Endorse ‘Terminator Genisys’. :laffo:

I don't think he was paid, I think he did it as a favour for Arnie!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Sleeveless posted:

-cocaine noises-

I think these times are over and the movie industry really suffers from it as a result.

So how bad is it exactly?

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I don't think you have to be paid up front to tell people to be interested the movie franchise you're about to own again

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gonz posted:

Can't wait for Terminator-CD and Terminator 32X in 2017 and 2018.

i get the joke but

Terminator 32-X sounds like an actual Terminator model and/or movie title

they should do that

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Police Automaton posted:

So how bad is it exactly?

I don't know if I would call Genisys bad. It has its moments.

A situation with my friends caused me to see it twice. I didn't care for it the first time. Having already been disappointed by the movie once, I liked the parts it got right much more on the second viewing. I'm uncomfortable calling it the third best Terminator movie, because it relies heavily on your nostalgia. I find it to be a more enjoyable experience than 3 and 4 though. Take from that what you will.

The title is worse once you know how it's used in universe. It isn't just a dumb genesis pun, but it's that too though 'cause there sure is a lot of rebirth happening. Anyway, Genisys is a life improvement app that everyone wants because it's all encompassing and so powerful and helpful that it's pretty much magic and it'll help us do everything ever and nothing could possibly go wrong. Like a genie in a bottle! Genie. Genie system. Genisys. Get it? Get it!?

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 30, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The local mom&pop theater is showing the movie tonight at 7:30, and I can see it for $6.50. Works for me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

The title is worse once you know how it's used in universe. ... Like a genie in a bottle! Genie. Genie system. Genisys. Get it? Get it!?

No way. Does someone in the movie actually explain it like this, because it sounds hilarious. I wanna see someone say that with a straight face.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'm afraid they never say that part, but they loving should have.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 30, 2015

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I love that the entire time I've been following this, people have been ragging on Jai Courtney as generic. All this time, I've thought "hey, he wasn't so bad in the most recent Apes movie" - turns out, he's so generic, I've been mistaking him for the OTHER guy in this movie.

Carry on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A Good Day to Die Hard should have been a career-killer for Jai Courtney, I don't understand how he got another job like this in a huge franchise. I guess he's the go-to guy when half the budget is going to Bruce/Arnold and you need a younger leading man to handle some of the action scenes but don't have enough money left to hire someone with an actual screen presence.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Courtney is just another square jawed nobody that Hollywood is trying to push as an action guy. No big deal. There's been a ton of flash in the pan guys in that role that don't get any work anymore. Wait a couple of years and he'll do a drama or something and it'll be good (a little bit despite him, but he'll get praise).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah but it's just a missed opportunity. If we're going to get some mediocre actor I would prefer Scott Adkins. At least he has the action chops for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah but it's just a missed opportunity. If we're going to get some mediocre actor I would prefer Scott Adkins. At least he has the action chops for it.

Has Aaron Taylor-Johnson been doing anything since Godzilla? He's almost as bland as Jai Courtney but at least he's got a little bit of something that could be called a personality.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Either way, I think it's safe to say Jai has spent any good will that Spartacus gave him.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The triumvirate of bland white guys that Hollywood is trying to push as action stars is Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, and Sam Worthington. Of those three, Kinnaman is probably the best and Courtney is the worst.

None of them are really any good though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Has Aaron Taylor-Johnson been doing anything since Godzilla? He's almost as bland as Jai Courtney but at least he's got a little bit of something that could be called a personality.

Yeah he was Quicksilver in Age of Ultron a couple months ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldSenileGuy posted:

The triumvirate of bland white guys that Hollywood is trying to push as action stars is Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, and Sam Worthington. Of those three, Kinnaman is probably the best and Courtney is the worst.

Yea Kinnaman basically carried the first two seasons of The Killing so he's got more cred in my eyes than the other two.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has Sam Worthington's star not fallen yet? I feel like I've not seen him in anything for ages.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

magimix posted:

Has Sam Worthington's star not fallen yet? I feel like I've not seen him in anything for ages.

He's busy working in James Cameron's slave labor camps Avatar sound stages from now until the end of time.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Kinnaman is a legit good actor

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

OldSenileGuy posted:

This reaction fascinates me, because it seems to be based entirely on their hairstyles.

Since videogame designers give their protagonists buzz-cuts in order to simplify animation, people with that haircut in real life are now 'generic'.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I actually really like Jason Clarke :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

blackguy32 posted:

I actually really like Jason Clarke :(

He was excellent in Brotherhood. Lots of lesser known actors did maybe the best work of their careers in that show. Annabeth Gish for instance.

• Locked thread