Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

guppy posted:

It is possible you don't know what that is, are you non-American? It's a pretty normal thing. Weddings here usually have a wedding rehearsal, and then you throw a small dinner. It's not, like, for dinner-having practice.

I'm Canadian. I took it to mean a wedding rehearsal where they even rehearse the cake cutting part 'just to make sure' they cut it right on the day of. If its a cake to thank the people for attending a wedding rehearsal that makes more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

plasmoduck posted:

That looks fantastic. What's the cheese?

Chunks of feta.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Pork loin marinated in soy and shaoxing; pan-fried leek and king oyster mushroom; braised shallot and shiitake; pickled shimeji; puffed pearl barley; szechuan pepper, garlic and chive finished sauce (made from the braising liquid.)
A bit of love to the umami flavour, and to the wonderful allium and mushroom.
(And a dram of Glenfarclas 15 to accompany.)

mich posted:

A friend and I made a cake for a rehearsal dinner. It is vanilla yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

That's absolutely beautiful. Are you making the cake for the married couple-to-be?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I'm Canadian. I took it to mean a wedding rehearsal where they even rehearse the cake cutting part 'just to make sure' they cut it right on the day of. If its a cake to thank the people for attending a wedding rehearsal that makes more sense.
:psyduck:

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Skirt steak with balsamic, rosemary, and black pepper, grilled peppers and onions, and asparagus.

I forgot how much I missed having a grill.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

To be entirely fair, the American wedding-industrial complex is absolutely insane enough that this sounds plausible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

charliebravo77 posted:

Skirt steak with balsamic, rosemary, and black pepper, grilled peppers and onions, and asparagus.

I forgot how much I missed having a grill.

hoo-yeah!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

guppy posted:

This is beautiful, are you a professional?

Olpainless posted:

That's absolutely beautiful. Are you making the cake for the married couple-to-be?

Thanks! Nah, not a pro, just like to bake. And no, the groom's mother commissioned us to do the rehearsal dinner cake. We did make a wedding cake for a friend last month.

Today we put together this for a weekly Sunday Supper I host with friends!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sweet Custom Van posted:

To be entirely fair, the American wedding-industrial complex is absolutely insane enough that this sounds plausible.

It is insane, but on the other hand half my family is Australian, the other half is Canadian, and at every single wedding I've ever been to in both countries for family and friends there's been a rehearsal dinner so I don't think this concept is in any way unique to America (for at least the last fifteen years or so)...

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mich posted:

Thanks! Nah, not a pro, just like to bake. And no, the groom's mother commissioned us to do the rehearsal dinner cake. We did make a wedding cake for a friend last month.

Lovely and amazing.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

mich posted:

Absolutely love it.

Smoked Mackerel, Beetroot Olive and Blood Orange Salad, Pickled Golden Beetroot, Horseradish Creme Fraiche.

Burger

Grilled Meat Pizza. It's not circular because it's rustic.

Pork and Roast Garlic meatballs, Cherry Tomato sauce.

Potato Salad, Borage and Chervil flowers.

Purple & Green Cauliflower Cheese with Rigatoni.

Salad of Compressed Watermelon, English Cucumber, French Radish, Thai Dressing.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I did something NOT on the grill!!!!

BURRITO NIGHTTTTT (SON)

I think my lens has a smudge on it

delicious chicken thighs simmered in salsa and shredded, great fistfuls of cilantro mixed in

todo en su lugar

The final product

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Yummy,

yummy,

yummy

I got*

love in my tummy

and I feel like

a-lovin' you.

*wish I had

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

I got some activa in the mail so I butchered a chicken and bonded the breast meat with some speck to make a sort of roulade.
I also roasted the skin into crackling, and frenched the drumsticks. Served it in mushroom broth concentrate with chanterelles.
Immersion circulated carrots and roast baby squashes, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That looks wonderful.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Did a batch of wings. Sous vide for 2 hours first at 170°F and then into 400°F oil. A quick toss in Frank's to finish.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That seems like a bit more trouble than Frank's hot wings are worth.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Charles Bukowski posted:

You sound like maybe you don't really like wings.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
:master:

What's wrong with throwin' em in a pan bro? Tastes good to me.

Just trying to get some miles out of your fancy french water bath machine? That I can understand.

I did some cooking last night that I'm pretty proud of, they turned out great!

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 30, 2015

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Who cares.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Veritek83 posted:

Did a batch of wings. Sous vide for 2 hours first at 170°F and then into 400°F oil. A quick toss in Frank's to finish.

how long did the jizz take?

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Veritek83 posted:

Was the skin nice and crispy and the fat rendered out?

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
I'm not even going to bother quoting, the last two pages of everything are amazing. Also, without calling out names, those of you in said last two pages who did hamburgers...off to the Burg thread for you, they are all amazing looking.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
No dinner post, not a lunch post, but it's food, and I cooked it!

There's a nameless "hot pepper" plant in my garden, that produces
big peppers that are incredibly inconsistent on the scoville scale,

so I figured I'd use 4 of them and mix them up with some
spanish red peppers (the smaller ones) to make some sambal.

It's the first sambal I've ever made, so I pretty much used everything
I like in a good sambal and went from there:

chopped up a couple of red onions in a small food processor-thingy,
and baked it in some olive oil,
then I chopped the peppers, some garlic and a bit of fresh ginger,
and added it to the onions.
Cooked it down with brown sugar and lime juice,
added some shrimp paste and ketjap (sweet indonesian soy sauce)
to get a better taste,
and in the end it was just a matter of adding the right amount of lime
juice and ketjap to get a really nice sambal.

At first it tastes like a sweet ayvar, and then the pepper kicks in and lingers,
I like it.

I'll probably never be able to replicate it, but it was a nice project anyway.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 30, 2015

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
how much better do chicken wings that take over two hours to prepare taste compared to chicken wings that take like 20 minutes

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

VelociBacon posted:

:911:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

how much better do chicken wings that take over two hours to prepare taste compared to chicken wings that take like 20 minutes

Sous vide = 3 minutes of work to vacuum seal and plunk into water bath, 1 hour 57 minutes of doing nothing.

God forbid somebody spend an extra three minutes to try to make something in any way better than the lowest common denominator.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rj54x posted:

Sous vide = 3 minutes of work to vacuum seal and plunk into water bath, 1 hour 57 minutes of doing nothing.

God forbid somebody spend an extra three minutes to try to make something in any way better than the lowest common denominator.

so i am guessing that they arent that much better then since instead of answering the question you stamped your foot like a literal child

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Fetus Tree posted:

so i am guessing that they arent that much better then since instead of answering the question you stamped your foot like a literal child

Nah, never had them so I can't say. I just think you're an insufferable twat who gets mad in the cooking thread because people are cooking things.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

rj54x posted:

Nah, never had them so I can't say. I just think you're an insufferable twat who gets mad in the cooking thread because people are cooking things.

you're literally the only one thats mad here lol

you might wanna peep my like 5-6 posts ITT because none of them sound mad :)

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Veritek83 posted:

did you for real eat your sous vide wings with shelf-stable ranch? lol

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

looks like hidden valley original. the good stuff.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

would've been nice if he'd frenched them for presentation

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Hell Yeah posted:

looks like hidden valley original. the good stuff.

cna you... sous vied ranch? :2bong:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
ok all kidding aside, im not mad but, it just seems weird to cook and prepare something for over two hours and then dunk it in squeeze bottle ranch and $3 hot sauce

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The sous vide thing is strange and alien to me altogether, but I'd assume it's more about texture than the flavors which seem to be classic ranch and franks.

E: I prefer bleu cheese

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
i bet the ranch made a fart noise when it came out of the bottle

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

im full of poo poo posted:

i bet the ranch made a fart noise when it came out of the bottle

depends on the bottle type

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Good point, in this case I'm the rear end in a top hat.

That said, I think the idea is that the sous vide process helps render the fat from the wing, which in turn means that you can get crispy skin faster when frying. Which in turn means you don't have to fry as long, so the meat is less overcooked by the time the skin is crispy. So, you get both crispier skin and juicier meat. Kind've the same idea that Alton Brown espouses in his chicken wing recipe, which involves steaming to render the fat first (though that method is tinfoil hat levels of crazy and makes the sous vide method look infinitely more sane in comparison).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i think most of us understand the concept behind sous vide chicken wings it's just kind of humorous that he worked 2 hrs preparing them and then served them with squeezy bottle ranch.
*squeezes almost empty bottle of hidden valley original on wagyu beef made with gold flakes pfft fffft ft ft ft*

• Locked thread