Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

MinibarMatchman posted:

It's not bad and foregoes the awful art style of shadow dragon and its steamshovel-faced Marth

Err, both the DS games look like refried rear end with that godawful pre-rendered appearance.

New Mystery of the Emblem is liked for other reasons, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3
Is the engine better then the last one they ploped on the 3ds years ago?
Also is the game better?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Space Crimes with Anime Sherlock Holmes sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz-QuKnQv4w

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

CoolCat posted:

Have Ninty ever commented on why they don't support 60fps on some archive releases? It's odd.

On Wii, PAL territories got 50HZ VC games no matter what, even if it meant taking an imported game and slowing it down for no loving reason,

On Wii U, they generally give us 60HZ/US versions unless the 50HZ version has multi-language support, in which case they give us the 50HZ version.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

even if it meant taking an imported game and slowing it down for no loving reason

Wasn't it only a couple of Sega games that did this (Pulseman and maybe Monster Land IV)? Stuff like Mario RPG and Bokutte Upa were full speed I thought.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Probably, I don't remember anymore and I wouldn't dirty my system with Mario RPG.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Quest For Glory II posted:

That isn't an issue as of last year:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/07/18/sherlock-holmes-and-the-vanishing-copyright

Also I seriously doubt you'll have to worry about Anime Sherlock even remotely calling back to his old stories. I mean Watson is a little girl now. For all we know he solves crimes in outer space.

The launch trailer explicitly uses old Holmes story names to refer to various game scenes. That said I do hope this isn't a problem. I don't want to team up with famous detective Sharlock Homes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I do want to see the kind of pun name the Capcom US team can come up with though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Probably, I don't remember anymore and I wouldn't dirty my system with Mario RPG.

I'm sorry, what? You'd better not be talking about Super Mario RPG, or else we are going to have to have Words.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I can totally dig not really caring for Supper Mario RPG, frankly all the original characters except for Booster are lame, and the game seemed intent on jam pacing itself with original characters instead of the mushroom kingdom residents.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

greatn posted:

I can totally dig not really caring for Supper Mario RPG, frankly all the original characters except for Booster are lame, and the game seemed intent on jam pacing itself with original characters instead of the mushroom kingdom residents.

So this is what a delusional statement looks like. I feel sorry for you.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I'm sorry, what? You'd better not be talking about Super Mario RPG, or else we are going to have to have Words.

It's bad

greatn posted:

Also it's incredibly unbelievably ugly that I can't even stand looking at it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There somehow exists a large amount of people in real life who think Geno is the coolest. Literally a child's Mary Sue character he imagined for his toy come to life.

Also the minigames in it are poorly designed.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 30, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

greatn posted:

There somehow exists a large amount of people in real life who think Geno is the coolest. Literally a child's Mary Sue character he imagined for his toy come to life.

:geno: The path is grey.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I remember when Geno was wanted for Smash a ton louder than K Rool or Ridley combined.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

greatn posted:

mushroom residents like who???? every mario rpg game has filled up the cast with new poo poo though, how could you fill up a game with just koopas and poo poo

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You look at the main cast of Mario Paper, they're mostly traditional Mario creatures, just with names and personalities and the new ones at least look like Mario characters.

The Superstar Saga games are a little different but involve going to distant lands.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I loved Mario RPG as a kid but it hasn't aged well at all.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I didn't play Super Mario RPG as a kid and then played it around 2008 and thought it aged fine

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just played through it a year or so ago, it definitely aged fine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

All the Mario RPGs are at least pretty good, even like Partners in Time, what's wrong with you idiots

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Every Mario RPG is the best/worst Mario RPG.

Now real talk it's good.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

actually partners in time is extremely bad

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Have you played PiT recently? I have and it's baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

Have you played PiT recently? I have and it's baaaaaaaaaaaad.

Yes I played it for the first time last year, it's perfectly alright

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You had no problems at all with the combat that devolved into "only use Mix Flowers as soon as you get them," map design that's exceedingly linear with little room to explore, writing that exceedingly takes the piss out of Luigi (moreso than usual), plot pacing that is just all over the place and doesn't really feel coherent and the final boss gauntlet where each foe has way too much HP?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

None of those things stood out to me, so no, not really. I meant it wasn't very memorable, but I enjoyed playing it. The Shroobs are awesome.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

ChaosArgate posted:

You had no problems at all with the combat that devolved into "only use Mix Flowers as soon as you get them," map design that's exceedingly linear with little room to explore, writing that exceedingly takes the piss out of Luigi (moreso than usual), plot pacing that is just all over the place and doesn't really feel coherent and the final boss gauntlet where each foe has way too much HP?

Why is making fun of Luigi bad?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Won't someone think of Luigi?

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Kaubocks posted:

I didn't play Super Mario RPG as a kid and then played it around 2008 and thought it aged fine

I feel like a lot of older turn based RPGs aged well because no one's really improved on the formula. The only notable game that's really tried to change things up without totally overhauling the system is Bravely Default.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They were approaching Meg on family guy levels, overdoing it a bit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Not a Twat posted:

Why is making fun of Luigi bad?

What I mean is, the game goes right past mocking Luigi to outright slandering him and makes him seem like he's just around to be the butt of 99% of the jokes the game wants to make. M&L mocks Luigi regularly, but he does at least get moments where he shines. PiT doesn't give him any.

Edit:

greatn posted:

They were approaching Meg on family guy levels, overdoing it a bit.

This, basically.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The plot pacing in my Super Mario RPG just really turned me off it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I like Super Mario RPG a lot. It's charming as heck and Bowser can join your party, and get a weapon where he just throws Mario at enemies. There are evil power rangers and Mario is a silent protagonist who communicates exclusively in elaborate charades skits.

Yeah, to a certain extent it feels like they just bolted some Mario characters into some other JRPG. The bits of Mario-ness that are actually in there, however, positively shine. Floating item blocks in the environment, Jumping as a powerful physical attack, Bowser being a secret softie, these are things that are really well represented.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
if you dont like super mario rpg you're retarded

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Ruddha posted:

While I wouldn't use the term "retarded", I do agree with this statement. I'm just stunned that you guys don't like this game.
It has good music, a decent story, interesting characters, SECRETS, an awesome battle system (with interesting gimmicks at certain boss battles!), fun mini-games (which are optional, after the first time), excellent landscapes (don't tell me the factory ruins didn't totally set the mood), and easter eggs!

What the hell else did you want from the game? A blowjob?!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Yeah pretty much that! I mean, you don't have to like the game; that's fine, but don't call it a bad game. :colbert:

Plus it was my first RPG. I will defend that game to my death.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

MinibarMatchman posted:

mushroom residents like who???? every mario rpg game has filled up the cast with new poo poo though, how could you fill up a game with just koopas and poo poo

They did pretty much exactly this with Sticker Star and it's one of many, many reasons why that game is garbage

Also,

Ruddha posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Next week's JP Wii U VC releases: DK Jungle Climber (DS), Demon's Blazeon/Demon's Crest (SFC), Lode Runner (FC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Miiverse is a getting a large update this summer (probably in August).

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/special/redesign_announcement