Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Stare-Out posted:

I've mentioned it before, but yeah, a "skip this post" or "jump to next post" thing would be very handy for long posts.

How would you access the function? Post options are always in the Three Dots menu at the bottom of posts.

Maybe a long press on the post itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I suggested two-finger scrolling for by-post, in the past.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or a double tap anywhere on the post would be pretty easy as a user.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think too easy to do by accident though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well, currently tapping a user's avatar and name bring up the same menu so maybe tapping their avatar could do it?

E: Actually no, not everyone has an avatar and you can't tell how long a post is right away.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does the avatar have to do with scrolling?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

There's so many things to iron out that it seems like a really silly feature to give time to.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lots of avatars and smilies have swapped places for some reason in the app. :grin: displays as the ": D" smilie for me, and :D shows up as Black Baby Goku's avatar.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Dave posted:

There's so many things to iron out that it seems like a really silly feature to give time to.

Yeah

Please fix the bugs that make posting images and using the formatting menu impossible if you're quoting a post.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The Dave posted:

that does it, I was going to be nice and stick to galtse but now you're getting brazil.txt and you have nobody to blame but yourself

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Soricidus posted:

that does it, I was going to be nice and stick to galtse but now you're getting brazil.txt and you have nobody to blame but yourself

But what does professor snape think of bitcoin

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I gotta learn Swift, I feel like a savage in here.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

my app isn't working

nothing loads when i try and refresh my bookmarks, and whenever i leave the app and try to open it again i have to log back in

okay it's doing it again. basically, sometimes when i'm browsing i'll get an "error, not logged in" and then things will stop loading. if i exit the app i'll need to log back in, but once i log in i'll just get loading errors and will need to log back in again if i exit the app.

it has fixed itself randomly and then gotten bad again at least twice

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I gotta learn Swift, I feel like a savage in here.

For that reason only?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

For that reason only?

It's reason enough. I never really got good at Obj-C anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whenever I try to post in my own thread in PHIZ the app instantly hard crashes when I get to the post preview window.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
image uploading has been broken for me for a while now, is if just me?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bowmore posted:

image uploading has been broken for me for a while now, is if just me?

Nope, me too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Bum the Sad posted:

Odd request. What about search within a page? Like regular old Ctrl-F style?

I think it's been requested before actually, so not that odd. It's a good idea, and would be easy enough to implement.

SKY COQ posted:

You've got the edit menu still being broken after uploading an image, right?

Sure do.

Akuma posted:

On an iPhone 5C, the vast majority of the time when I try to refresh anything - bookmarks, a thread - it never completes. It spins and spins forever. Occasionally it'll eventually throw a generic error about not being able to complete it. I have to force close the app to get it to work. This happens across wifi and 3G/4G networks, it's definitely not a connection speed issue.

What gives? I feel like it's been doing this for a long time now but definitely never used to. It makes using the app really frustrating because I never know if it's just being slow or is never going to finish refreshing. Come to think of it it also happens when posting, too - sometimes it won't pull a quote unless I cancel and try again, and sometimes it'll never finish posting.

Anybody else experience this? :(

This one I'm not sure about, though I understand the frustration. Next time it's happening, could you try jumping into Safari to see if you get the same issues accessing the Forums?

In Training posted:

Lots of avatars and smilies have swapped places for some reason in the app. :grin: displays as the ": D" smilie for me, and :D shows up as Black Baby Goku's avatar.

That's super weird, but I don't know what to do about it? All those images go through the system-provided web view and cache. The only ones we treat specially are your avatar atop the Settings screen and the smilies in the keyboard, but we don't try to do anything clever in posts themselves. Maybe the cache got weird? Try a log out and log back in?

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Yeah

Please fix the bugs that make posting images and using the formatting menu impossible if you're quoting a post.

That's the plan!

Cake Attack posted:

okay it's doing it again. basically, sometimes when i'm browsing i'll get an "error, not logged in" and then things will stop loading. if i exit the app i'll need to log back in, but once i log in i'll just get loading errors and will need to log back in again if i exit the app.

it has fixed itself randomly and then gotten bad again at least twice

That sucks! The constantly-being-logged-out thing is curious. I wonder if there's something hijacking the first request and wiping out the Forums's cookies or something, and then Awful sees that and assumes your session has been invalidated. (That's what happens when you e.g. change your password: all your other sessions become invalid, so it made sense in Awful to just kick you out.)

In Training posted:

Whenever I try to post in my own thread in PHIZ the app instantly hard crashes when I get to the post preview window.

Ouch. I'll keep an eye out for any crash reports that match that description, then I'll take a look.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh i should have updated: I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it works fine now. thanks though

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

oh i should have updated: I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it works fine now. thanks though

wait lol this is the iphone app thread, i have the android app

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

wait lol this is the iphone app thread, i have the android app

qfb

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Reading is fundamental. :eng101:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My image problem was likely a cache thing because I cleared it and logged back in and have had no problems. I still get that crash when trying to post in my own threads, but it seems to only happen on the first page

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The past few weeks, whenever I've gone to the local Bojangles near work, I've noticed I couldn't access any posts (would get the message about needing archives) or update the unread count. As soon as I'd leave there, everything would start working again. After I realized things only stopped working when I was on their wi-fi network, I tried opening the forums through Safari, and got a message saying access to violent category pages was not allowed.

So I guess they added some firewall rules to their network access recently, since I used to be able to browse fine from there. But my question is, in events like this where the problem is most likely a firewall restriction, is there any way to give more accurate feedback to the user? Doesn't have to be very specific, I just don't like getting feedback (in this case, the archives message) which misleads me as to the nature of the issue.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
has replaced the old thread icon for in D&D, LAN, and Goon Meets.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

has replaced the old thread icon for in D&D, LAN, and Goon Meets.

that's great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I recently noticed that pressing the : key on the little macro bar does not cancel the auto "uppercase the first letter of a new sentence" thing, but if I enter a : from the normal keyboard, it does.

Is that something that can be fixed? Because emoticons are case sensitive.

:colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn't find a way to control that, when I looked. That doesn't mean there isn't one though.

(wtf are smilies case-sensitive?)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because when you decide that regular expressions can solve a problem you're having, you go from having one problem to having two problems.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If they're already using regexes then it's a simple flag. If they're not then it's strtolower before looking up the smilies. Would that I could pull request...

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Please make this work like our good lord timb intended.

Watch “Here” by Alessia Cara on @AppleMusic.
https://itun.es/us/au6H7

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't find a way to control that, when I looked. That doesn't mean there isn't one though.

(wtf are smilies case-sensitive?)

RADIUMMMMMMM :argh:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Will there be an Imp Zone stylesheet?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Feature request: maybe a toggle in options to swap between 'lepers colony' and a new 'my posts' page in the sidebar tools - I can't imagine that many folks want to look at who's been an idiot in the LC, but a page with all my post history so I can catch up with threads or see 'where did I post that again?' would be useful.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Feature request: maybe a toggle in options to swap between 'lepers colony' and a new 'my posts' page in the sidebar tools - I can't imagine that many folks want to look at who's been an idiot in the LC, but a page with all my post history so I can catch up with threads or see 'where did I post that again?' would be useful.

mm it's a good idea but I'm not sure a button that displayed your posting history would make it through app review

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Soricidus posted:

mm it's a good idea but I'm not sure a button that displayed your posting history would make it through app review

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Maybe if the app reviewer commits suicide, the review process fails open and auto-approves?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Got a new phone and the awful app won't login. Also getting ssl errors in chrome. Could these impact the apps ability to login? Have never had an issue before, so it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's most likely because SA's SSL certificate has expired and the 'Tax hasn't bothered to renew it.

• Locked thread