Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Shadoer posted:

Yeah I do. You're point against it is that you don't share those view and you just happen to have the view that any criticism of gaming journalism and attempts to reform it as well as all the other parts of gamergate are meaningless, hollow excercises which are wastes of time.

So because it's a waste of time, you want to argue and post repeatedly about how it's a waste of time.

This is reasonably accurate. I'm not sure why you're saying it though. The way that it's inaccurate is that I'm also a 'critic' of gaming journalism.

quote:

So you didn't go through 200+ posts (which at least means you aren't that sad of a human being), you just want to be a dick. As said before I'm sure the conversation will get back to that topic and I can argue it all out again.

No, i just have a memory. You haven't explained how gaming journalism can be reformed. To prove me wrong, simply link to the post where you did.

quote:

Or if you took the point for what it was instead of wanting to have a discussion of the civil rights movement.

I don't want to have a discussion about the civil rights movement. You can drop it any time, since it's not really going to be very productive, given that you don't actually know that much about it.

quote:

Really? Cause I seem to remember an organization called the "Black Panthers" was around. Not to mention the "Nation of Islam" and their role in assassinating Malcomn X.

What does this have to do with your phraseology of 'resorting' to violence? This may be a language problem: by 'resorting' to violence, you're making it seem as though the Black Panthers began violence, instead of responding to violence. The Black Panthers were founded to police black neighborhoods and monitor police for police brutality. They also set up social programs in their neighborhoods. The violence was already there.

Do you think that the Stonewall Riots were gay people 'resorting' to violence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NutritiousSnack posted:

Comic Book Code killed the industry and doomed it to irrelevance and nothing but kid's cape books until the 80s, and quite frankly even now. The big two are nothing but IP farms and the least profitable arm the superhero phenomena.

Ironically I'd probably say that the CCA actually did more good to the comic industry than harm.

Comics before then were considered terrible pulp trash and with good reason. Sensationalist stories, cheap, easy targets. The reason why stuff like the EC comics are remembered so fondly is partly because of nostalgia, partly novelty, because they're mostly terrible in actual content.

Creative mediums, somewhat counter intuitively, actually flourish when somewhat restricted. Most of the best art and best social commentary have come out from such systems.

The CCA actually forced creators to be more creative with their medium because the people who pushed for the CCA were largely unsubtle people who didn't understand things like context or puns or other subversive elements that an actually good creator could easily push past.

It's hard to be counter-culture when there's no clearly defined culture to run counter to. Otherwise you're just a mad man slinging poo poo.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

INH5 posted:

Their subreddit had a very popular celebration thread when gay marriage was legalized. I don't really see what more evidence you need. GG participants tend to be young and live in urban areas, and that demographic is pretty left wing compared to the average American.

They are actually libertarian leaning, which is a centre-right/right wing ideology in American politics. When they say leftists with libertarian leanings, they mean that they support things like gay marriage, ending the war on drugs, and reducing military spending (which are libertarian views that just so happen to be leftist as well).

In general, 'fiscal conservative' ideology is antithetical to the left movement. Paying less tax, leads to a smaller government with fewer social safety nets, employment reform leads to labour exploitation, and cutting regulation because correctly labelling your food and ensuring that you aren't doing long term environmental damage is getting in the way of 'your freedom' (to make a quick buck).

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Obdicut posted:

This is reasonably accurate. I'm not sure why you're saying it though. The way that it's inaccurate is that I'm also a 'critic' of gaming journalism.

I was pointing out the irony that someone who keeps talking about how much people shouldn't care about it, keeps posting here.

Like why do you care?

Obdicut posted:

No, i just have a memory. You haven't explained how gaming journalism can be reformed. To prove me wrong, simply link to the post where you did.

I'm really not searching through 200+ posts. As said before, I'm sure the discussion will get back there. And if you have read every post in this thread, I'm sorry, you have way too much time on your hands. Like seriously, I'm one of the people who has posted the most in the thread and I even haven't read it all, that's why I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that somewhere you also posted your argument about why game journalism has been reformed and I'm not a dickish enough to ask or expect you to search through the thread to find and link it.

Obdicut posted:

I don't want to have a discussion about the civil rights movement. You can drop it any time, since it's not really going to be very productive, given that you don't actually know that much about it.

No I know about it, at best I can say we have different interpretations. But sure, let's drop it.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
God drat it. If hellthread is here, then I have nowhere to talk about video games without getting probated. God speed to the hellthread crew. I hope you guys can seem normal enough to exist in this forum without getting banned.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ghost Head posted:

God drat it. If hellthread is here, then I have nowhere to talk about video games without getting probated. God speed to the hellthread crew. I hope you guys can seem normal enough to exist in this forum without getting banned.

The chat part of hellthread has moved to plat crew: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658249. This thread is for the gamergate pedants to bang their heads against the pedants of D&D.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Shadoer posted:

I was pointing out the irony that someone who keeps talking about how much people shouldn't care about it, keeps posting here.

Like why do you care?

I'm not saying that people shouldn't care about games journalism, I'm saying they should recognize it is unreformable because of the constraints of the market. I think, really, most people do realize this and rely on word of mouth rather than reviews.

quote:

I'm really not searching through 200+ posts. As said before, I'm sure the discussion will get back there. And if you have read every post in this thread, I'm sorry, you have way too much time on your hands. Like seriously, I'm one of the people who has posted the most in the thread and I even haven't read it all, that's why I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that somewhere you also posted your argument about why game journalism has been reformed and I'm not a dickish enough to ask or expect you to search through the thread to find and link it.

Again, you haven't actually laid this out. The discussion is back there right now: Go ahead and re-state what you think can be done to fix games journalism. Given that this is, apparently, the point of GG to you, why wouldn't you want to do this? Isn't this the whole point of the conversation to you?

Shadoer posted:

No I know about it, at best I can say we have different interpretations. But sure, let's drop it.

It may be partially just that you're terrible at posting and tend to state stuff in hyperbole and false dichotomies, maybe you really do have a good grasp on it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Can we have a moratorium on "Why do you care? I don't care! Caring is for losers!" type stuff?

If you're taking the time out to post about something on an internet forum chances are good you care at least an iota. I can think of nothing worse than a rhetorical hipster.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Obdicut posted:

Okay. What percentage of gamers is that?

Study commissioned by Twitch shows gamers are actually more social than the average person. Twitch has a vested interest in getting an accurate picture of gamer behavior in order to capitalize on it to sell more eyeballs to their advertisers.

http://blog.twitch.tv/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/TheNewFaceofGamers.pdf

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Obdicut posted:

Do you mean ethnic culture, or what would really be called a 'subculture'? If the latter, probably people who are both deaf and blind, but that's just a guess.
Both I guess. It's a really naive question. Though I was more interested in larger, more coherent and spatially clustered groups.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Let us English posted:

Study commissioned by Twitch shows gamers are actually more social than the average person. Twitch has a vested interest in getting an accurate picture of gamer behavior in order to capitalize on it to sell more eyeballs to their advertisers.

That definition of 'gamer' includes people who play "Candy Crush" on their phone on the way to work, though.

Those aren't the same people who are attending that conference, nor I think what anyone means when they talk about 'gamer culture'.

Cingulate posted:

Both I guess. It's a really naive question. Though I was more interested in larger, more coherent and spatially clustered groups.

Then it just depends on how you operationalize racism. If you define it as actually loving over people of other races, places that have the fewest minority members around tend to be the least racist. If you define it as hosed-up beliefs about other races, those places are v. racist.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Let us English posted:

Do they have a vested interest in presenting the data accurately? Do they have a vested interest in presenting themselves in a certain way? Do they have a vested interest in not overtly insulting their target audience?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cingulate posted:

Do they have a vested interest in presenting the data accurately? Do they have a vested interest in presenting themselves in a certain way? Do they have a vested interest in not overtly insulting their target audience?

Does Twitch stream Candy Crush?

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Candy%20Crush%20Saga

No.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ddraig posted:

Creative mediums, somewhat counter intuitively, actually flourish when somewhat restricted.
Do you specifically mean, legally or violently restricted?

And is there anything you could back this up with?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
... do you think there is a market opportunity here?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Let us English posted:

Okay I actually decided to look at this. Obdicut highlighted that it matters how one operationalizes "gamer". Let's consider how they operationalize "being social".

quote:

Gamers lead more social lives than non-gamers. Gamers are more likely than non-gamers to be living with other people. This includes their families, roommates or friends, or significant others. In contrast, non-gamers are more likely to be living alone (16% vs. 10%). Their sociability also applies to other forms of media: Gamers are less likely than non-gamers to watch TV alone (23% vs. 40%) and less likely to prefer to watch this way (21% vs. 36%). Furthermore, they’re far more likely to say that they watch video on TV, PCs, or mobile devices when at a friend’s (42% vs. 15%).
Gamers are more likely to live with their parents.

quote:

They’re closer to their families. Gamers are more likely to say that they have a good relationship with their parents (79% vs. 63%). Similarly, strong majorities agree that spending time with their families (82% vs. 68%) and parents (67% vs. 44%) are top priorities.
Gamers are more likely to live with their parents.

quote:

They’re more socially conscious. A majority of gamers agree that “having a positive impact on society is important to me”—a full
21 percentage points higher than non-gamers. Gamers are more likely to prioritize socially conscious business practices. A greater share of them agree that it’s important that the companies they buy products from support social causes (58% vs. 36%) and that companies treat their customers fairly (82% vs. 72%). Furthermore, they’re more likely to feel better about companies that have ethical business practices (78% vs. 65%) and would rather buy from those “that [have] nothing to hide” (81% vs. 66%).
Gamers prefer to be told they're doing a good thing when they're buying stuff.

quote:

The majority of gamers (63%) play for less than 10 hours a week, with the most popular option among respondents being “3 to 5 hours a week” (24%).
Gamers don't really play games a lot.

Okay, with this, I'm not trying to say gamers are sociopaths. I'm saying, based on this pdf, there is almost nothing we can say about gamers, especially nothing interesting.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have been following hellthread daily for the last better part of the year of the only life I'll ever have, so let me explain some things about the phenomenon of Gamergaters (and the guys who don't call themselves "Gamergaters" but are nonetheless sympathetic to them and indistinguishable in politics, goals and opinions, and will be simply referred to by the same term.)

1. Gamergaters are motivated by resentment towards "SJWs," which they state repeatedly, centrally and explicitly in their arguments. The "Quinnspiracy Theory" youtube for example, which largely kicked off the whole thing, makes the central argument within the first minute: this scandal of an obscure indie game developer cheating on her boyfriend with even more obscure games journalists matters because pompous SJWs in the games media have been keeping the nerd man down, and this shows that they are hypocrites who deserve to be destroyed. (More on that in a second.) Any other argument they make as to their motivations either grows from this resentment or is self-delusion.

2. Gamergaters are reactionary, by dictionary definition. Some of them (the fascists, neo-reactionaries, conservatives, MRAs, PUAs, racists, etc) are overt about this, whereas others sincerely do not realize it. Nevertheless, they all loathe "SJWs," a word synonymous in meaning and use as the word "liberal" by meatspace Republicans. SJWs, by the way, are not just the enemy of gamers; they are everywhere and have their sinister fingers in everything.

3. Some Gaters do not realize that they are reactionary because they believe that "anti-Gamergate" people are social conservatives and the Gamergate people are defending social liberalism. This is a bizarre concept to wrap ones' head around for the average "anti-Gamergate" person, but you can see it in the Gamergaters' regular use of terminology like "neo-puritan," "authoritarian," etc, or their arguments that people who dislike the sexualization of imaginary women in videogames are motivated by prudishness or a hatred of womens' bodies. You can also see it in their mockery of the arguments of people they dislike, regularly imagining them as Helen Lovejoy scolds screaming "think of the children" when of course no criticism of Gamergate or the representation of marginalized groups in videogames is largely (or at all) based on "think of the children."

4. The characteristics of social conservatives in popular imagining are that they are repressed liars and hypocrites, and so too must be the people the Gamergaters dislike. Everyone they dislike is a cynical liar. Not that they are delusional, wrong, or just lying to themselves, but that they are all actively and knowingly lying and dissembling to the credulous dupes for personal gain. You can see it regularly in their claims that Anita Sarkeesian is a scammer, that Zoe Quinn is lying about being harassed, that websites criticizing Gamergate are "profit driven" and "clickbait," that the fact that games media and media in general dislikes people they regard as belligerent shitheads is a deliberate conspiracy instead of sincere opinion. This extends just beyond the "leaders" of "anti-Gamergate." An extremely common cliche they claim is that men who profess to be feminists, or who profess to dislike Gaters, are actually just pretending in a cynical (and usually doomed) ploy to get laid.

5. Accusations of hypocrisy are the bread and butter of Gaters, and their favorite tactic, as to the lazy thinker these immediately and totally discredit everything about the accused. These accusations also fit easily into their narrative of opposing social conservatives, who are all hypocrites and all you need to do is find the evidence to prove it.

6. It is impossible to overstate the tortured logic and meager and incoherent standard of evidence Gaters use to confirm these theories:

Salon.com ran an opinion piece that said "rioting in Baltimore is a legitimate political tactic" and months later another piece by a different author that said "it's wrong to threaten women in the videogame industry." Without even getting into the validity of either of those two opinions, it is an incredible stretch to claim it is hypocrisy for a news site to publish both of these editorials, yet Gaters love taking screenshots of titles like this together and howling "HAHAHAHAHA" like an overcaffeinated prisoner forced to watch the Joker's standup routine.

Gawker says they're for feminism and against dorklet assholes, but did you know they posted a censored clip from Hulk Hogan's sex tape? How dare they look down on us?

Anita Sarkeesian said many, many times that she plays videogames, but in one video she said that at some point in the past that she wasn't "a fan of videogames," so all those other statements are lies from a scammer. She also can't name any videogames, which makes her a fraud. My 80 year old grandmother can name videogames, but somehow this first world twentysomething whose job is talking about videogames can't name any videogames. They sincerely believe this.

This is because Jonathan McIntosh writes everything Anita Sarkeesian says, which makes her the brainless puppet of a man who she is probably loving, and there is nothing misogynist about this claim, made by the way with no evidence.

Some person who is a "SJW" and whose name I don't even remember because they are totally irrelevant non-entity even by the standards of the internet called someone a tranny in a chatroom in 2009, thus invalidating modern feminism.

Zoe Quinn is dating the son of an Israeli arms dealer, which invalidates her and makes her statements hypocritical, and the totality of the evidence we have that this is the case is because her boyfriend and the Israeli both have the surname "Lifschitz."

A self-described "Gamergate lawyer" claimed that Zoe Quinn committed perjury when she claimed in front of Congress that he hired a private investigator to stalk her. He did, by his own admission, but only, he says, because he feared for his life because she posted in Helldump.

None of these are exaggerated in any way.

7. "SJWs" and people opposed to Gamergate could in fact be considered socially conservative in comparison to the bizarre and unworkable definition of free speech Gaters profess (but do not believe in.) Under this conception, not only is it breaching free speech for the government to ban speech, not only is it also an abrogation of free speech for a private organization or entity to ban some type of speech on its premises or platform, it's also a violation of free speech to criticize other people's speech if that criticism leads to consequences for the criticized party. Powercrazy, one of the original and most proclivic hellthread posters, posted in apparent sincerity that to protect free speech we must ban public criticism by law.

And that generously assumes that they even understand any distinction, which is not universal by any means. They often depict people who criticize games as jackbooted thugs trying to pass bans. Whether or not this is a sincere fear or just cynical whining is largely a function of how delirious the advocate is.

8. Despite their accusations, the greatest and most unequivocal hypocrisy in all of Gamergate is on the side of Gaters: guys who piously profess that it's wrong and cruel to make people suffer negative consequences for their opinions, while at the same time gleefully engaging in, supporting and defending every legal attempt to shut down websites they don't like and get games reviewers they dislike fired. A good runner up is that this movement that claims to be about "ethics in journalism" has wholeheartedly embraced Breitbart, an organization best known for the time they deliberately published false and slanderous information that led to the shutdown of a political action group that enfranchised urban minorities.

9. The article in question never said "gamers are dead." It said "gamers are over," an important distinction because the claim was never that "gamers" don't exist anymore, the claim was that "gamer culture" is full of belligerent consumerist halfwits, and the market for games is so large now that developers don't need to bow down to the edicts of these swine anymore, thus the quote: "'Gamers' don't have to be your audience anymore. 'Gamers' are over." Personally I think this is wishful thinking and I don't feel that this claim is factually accurate; the kind of laughable product-sponge loser who is so excited to have the opportunity to pay money for your product that he writes at length about how he was crying in joy over the Shenmue kickstarter is the kind of market that most industries could only dream of and it would be irrational for developers to not cater to them.

10. je suis gay

Tezzor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 30, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cingulate posted:

Do you specifically mean, legally or violently restricted?

And is there anything you could back this up with?

Well the thing about culture is that it's notoriously hard to define, but there have been many examples of art, literary and musical movements that have sprung up as a way to comment or subvert the perceived restrictions placed on the medium.

The Crucible was a very, very thinly veiled attack on McCarthyism under the pretense of a historical story, There was an entire underground scene in the comic book world that ran contrary to the CCA values of the time (the disparity between the the stuff that came before it in the form of EC comics and those True Crime Stories or whatever as opposed to people like Robert Crumb is very striking)

Even fairly modern mediums have done this to a huge extent. Cigarette advertising used to be a man smoking a cigarette and "This is a cigarette", when the actual act of smoking was banned you saw a huge increase in the amount of creativity involved with adverts.

Compare, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0yADZZ7jvY

to virtually any modern cigarette ad.

Even actual TV shows display this. Compare Seinfeld to Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfeld had very, very deliberate restrictions placed on what they could and couldn't talk about, so they had to come up with creative euphemisms to bypass the letter of the law because that's all that they cared about.

So you'd get concepts like "Master of your domain" etc and other funny, creative means of referring to the elephant in the room, whereas with Curb it's pretty much explicit and boring.

Boundaries can be a very good thing for the creative medium, as virtually any creative person will tell you. Exploring a concept within rigidly defined bounds is one of the classic exercises of creative writing etc.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I will break this up into several posts for ease of readability, quoting each previous section to link them together.

In the 1950s and 60s, movie theaters were everywhere. Drive-ins, one-screens, three-screens, showing not just new releases but old ones, back in the days when you needed a projector and cans of film to show movies in the home.

Inevitably, the art films produced in postwar Europe began to filter across the Atlantic. They found their way to these small cinemas as people put up salacious or interesting or simply time-filling features. This in turn inspired New Hollywood, the first generation of filmmakers who learned it formally through film schools. They went on to produce some of the greatest pieces of American cinema with the things they learned from the arthouse films.

In the 2010s, arty video games began to gain attention. While they had been around since the late 1980s, some of them becoming fairly popular or influential, most of them languished in obscurity. And the response, from the “mainstream” gamer and developer, was not the indifference or confusion or appreciation Old Hollywood had for the New Wave. It was bilious hatred and contempt. It was a plot to annihilate video games. They were being made by Jews, psychobitches, trannies. Eventually, this boiled over into a movement of annihilation among so-called “gamers” that identified its enemy, a tiny minority that was aiming to control all of reality, which could be identified by a physical stereotype, which was alternatively powerful and weak. The “SJW” was the cause of the evils of art video games.

That is, this present idiocy is a fascist movement, one which has gone beyond any kind of concrete entity to hate but an ephemeral one. Thinking the wrong things is what defines the conspiracy. No-one is safe. And because it aims square at liberalism, the current order has the potential to see them as better, safer, cooptable.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Effectronica posted:

In the 1950s and 60s, movie theaters were everywhere. Drive-ins, one-screens, three-screens, showing not just new releases but old ones, back in the days when you needed a projector and cans of film to show movies in the home.

Inevitably, the art films produced in postwar Europe began to filter across the Atlantic. They found their way to these small cinemas as people put up salacious or interesting or simply time-filling features. This in turn inspired New Hollywood, the first generation of filmmakers who learned it formally through film schools. They went on to produce some of the greatest pieces of American cinema with the things they learned from the arthouse films.

In the 2010s, arty video games began to gain attention. While they had been around since the late 1980s, some of them becoming fairly popular or influential, most of them languished in obscurity. And the response, from the “mainstream” gamer and developer, was not the indifference or confusion or appreciation Old Hollywood had for the New Wave. It was bilious hatred and contempt. It was a plot to annihilate video games. They were being made by Jews, psychobitches, trannies. Eventually, this boiled over into a movement of annihilation among so-called “gamers” that identified its enemy, a tiny minority that was aiming to control all of reality, which could be identified by a physical stereotype, which was alternatively powerful and weak. The “SJW” was the cause of the evils of art video games.

That is, this present idiocy is a fascist movement, one which has gone beyond any kind of concrete entity to hate but an ephemeral one. Thinking the wrong things is what defines the conspiracy. No-one is safe. And because it aims square at liberalism, the current order has the potential to see them as better, safer, cooptable.

Thinking this is a coincidence, a strident insane bitch lying in naked self-interest? Think again. You can see people whining about “identity politics”, that is the very existence of diverse groups within society. An essentially fascist notion, wherein all of the society must be crushed and squeezed into a unity based around state power. In conventional fascism, there has been at least one enemy to be singled out within the society solely for existing, which was historically Jews, Roma, Jehovah’s Witnesses, etc. Here, the enemy is women, who can be identified by their dyed hair. Fascism considered itself a radical centrism, a synthesis of capitalism, communism, and aristocratism. We can see the self-professed leftists here who argue for the supremacy of the capitalist corporation, aristocracy being dead altogether. We can see the people who argue that both sides must be as bad as one another. (Also, note that fascism initially drew heavily on dissatisfied nationalist leftists disgusted with the initially internationalist tone of the Bolsheviks and disillusioned leftists who felt the failure of proletarian internationalism to end WW1 deeply. The parallels to the flagellant/repentant LF posters are blatant.)

Fascism is obsessed with the control of art, with the destruction of art that fails to fit its narrow-minded preconceptions, with a hatred of that which seeks to be avant-garde. See the burning of modernist painters in 1942 by the Nazis, justified by the obvious insanity necessary to paint Impressionist or Pointillist or Cubist or Surrealist or Expressionist paintings. See the insistence that certain games are not games, their makers not developers, all those who enjoy them mentally ill or deficient.

Fascism is obsessed with the idea of life as an eternal struggle, and behold! We find people treated as completely rational who argue all white women to the left of center are attempting genocide. We find the common belief that the “SJW” is trying to destroy video games and gamers. We find the commonplace assumption that sexuality is war, and all male actions are tactical ones to be able to gently caress.

Fascism was a movement of shopkeepers, the prosperous middle class, and so we see the argument that their enemies, the devils with the pink hair, are the upper middle class, the social rank they, unlike the actual upper class, may despise, but which is obviously more powerful. We see these bourgeois norms in the way that bribery is of less importance than the mere image of sexual impropriety.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

At this stage I think GamerGate is just a self perpetuating cult of people that have made it their identity. They'll be arguing about who said what for the next 50 years oblivious to the fact that in the real world GamerGate image became pure poo poo months ago.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Effectronica posted:

Thinking this is a coincidence, a strident insane bitch lying in naked self-interest? Think again. You can see people whining about “identity politics”, that is the very existence of diverse groups within society. An essentially fascist notion, wherein all of the society must be crushed and squeezed into a unity based around state power. In conventional fascism, there has been at least one enemy to be singled out within the society solely for existing, which was historically Jews, Roma, Jehovah’s Witnesses, etc. Here, the enemy is women, who can be identified by their dyed hair. Fascism considered itself a radical centrism, a synthesis of capitalism, communism, and aristocratism. We can see the self-professed leftists here who argue for the supremacy of the capitalist corporation, aristocracy being dead altogether. We can see the people who argue that both sides must be as bad as one another. (Also, note that fascism initially drew heavily on dissatisfied nationalist leftists disgusted with the initially internationalist tone of the Bolsheviks and disillusioned leftists who felt the failure of proletarian internationalism to end WW1 deeply. The parallels to the flagellant/repentant LF posters are blatant.)

Fascism is obsessed with the control of art, with the destruction of art that fails to fit its narrow-minded preconceptions, with a hatred of that which seeks to be avant-garde. See the burning of modernist painters in 1942 by the Nazis, justified by the obvious insanity necessary to paint Impressionist or Pointillist or Cubist or Surrealist or Expressionist paintings. See the insistence that certain games are not games, their makers not developers, all those who enjoy them mentally ill or deficient.

Fascism is obsessed with the idea of life as an eternal struggle, and behold! We find people treated as completely rational who argue all white women to the left of center are attempting genocide. We find the common belief that the “SJW” is trying to destroy video games and gamers. We find the commonplace assumption that sexuality is war, and all male actions are tactical ones to be able to gently caress.

Fascism was a movement of shopkeepers, the prosperous middle class, and so we see the argument that their enemies, the devils with the pink hair, are the upper middle class, the social rank they, unlike the actual upper class, may despise, but which is obviously more powerful. We see these bourgeois norms in the way that bribery is of less importance than the mere image of sexual impropriety.

Everywhere we find the signs of fascism. We even see Miguel de Unamunos and Martin Heideggers (admittedly, nowhere near as intelligent as those men), people who engage in a lengthy semiphilosophical approach to conclude that while the fascists are bad, something needs to be done about the accursed SJW, no matter if they use that term explicitly or not. We see the many hangers-on who approve of some aspect of the movement without considering the big picture. Can the militias, the Black Shirts, be so improbable?

What, then, are the goals of this movement? According to the fascists themselves, the goal is to silence the SJW, and keep them from ruining video games, and purify the ones that are still left, and ensure that all games are made to be as fun as possible, and nobody be allowed to view games as art and yet simultaneously they must acknowledge they are art, and nobody be allowed to dye their hair on the pain of ostracism, and nobody is allowed to make them feel ashamed of their actions, and everyone must acknowledge the importance of naked tits to feminism.

A psychotic jumble, but with some disturbing trends. The little ones- the desire to ensure that all games are bland, the eternally adolescent sexuality- are ones that are somewhat worrying, but too pathetic to really consider important. The desire for control, though, control of who gets to talk about video games, what you may think of video games, how you dress, what you can say to them- that is frightening. Because eventually they will come to understand the means necessary to ensure permanent silence, and permanent freedom from critical attention, and permanent freedom from feeling ashamed, and permanent freedom from hair dye, in the same way that all systems of hatred must operate when control is impossible. Or they gain control, or the means of it, and that too would be a nightmare.

A similar approach to politics defines ISIL, with its obsession with the notion of a police state based on rooting out heresy. But ISIL is less pure, still hating concrete Jews, Christians, Shi’i and Sufis, and Kurds. Religious and ethnic tensions. So simply arming “SJWs” and having them defend themselves against the gators, the lizards, whatever- not possible, because the “SJW” does not exist except as an ironic reclamation from the neofascists. Thus, a different approach to direct action against them is necessary. To put it simply, anarchist tactics are the only ones likely to bear fruit. Occupy Wall Street is generally understood as a failure, because most people fail to understand that its goal, from the very beginning, was to expand the psychic space people are allowed to think in by creating a new order ad-hoc. Similarly, action against this nascent fascism must revolve around making them irrelevant in the psychic space, providing an alternative to their dreary visions.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I'm a hellthreader who missed the previous 70 pages. can someone give me a summary so that I can jump in on one side or another? thanks

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Obdicut posted:

Then it just depends on how you operationalize racism. If you define it as actually loving over people of other races, places that have the fewest minority members around tend to be the least racist. If you define it as hosed-up beliefs about other races, those places are v. racist.
Okay, and controlling for these? Is there any culture that's especially protective of racism? Is there one that facilitates racism?

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Ghost Head posted:

I'm a hellthreader who missed the previous 70 pages. can someone give me a summary so that I can jump in on one side or another? thanks

One of the guys getting really mad about Gamergate and writing dozens of posts about it and how they're evil right-wing reactionaries and he stands for social justice and all that is good turned out to be an actual pedophile who supports the abuse of real life children and this wasn't a surprising development at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Ghost Head posted:

Read the tezzor thing a few posts up and then never click on this thread again.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
holy loving poo poo. look at that gigantic tezzor post. Do D&D posters have to read poo poo like that? god drat. I'm sorry hell thread got moved here.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ghost Head posted:

Imagine hellthread but instead of one tezzor, half of the posters are tezzor.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Broniki posted:

One of the guys getting really mad about Gamergate and writing dozens of posts about it and how they're evil right-wing reactionaries and he stands for social justice and all that is good turned out to be an actual pedophile who supports the abuse of real life children and this wasn't a surprising development at all.

ok this poo poo is crazier than the GBS thread. I don't know where I am or what is happening

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ddraig posted:

Well the thing about culture is that it's notoriously hard to define, but there have been many examples of art, literary and musical movements that have sprung up as a way to comment or subvert the perceived restrictions placed on the medium.

The Crucible was a very, very thinly veiled attack on McCarthyism under the pretense of a historical story, There was an entire underground scene in the comic book world that ran contrary to the CCA values of the time (the disparity between the the stuff that came before it in the form of EC comics and those True Crime Stories or whatever as opposed to people like Robert Crumb is very striking)

Even fairly modern mediums have done this to a huge extent. Cigarette advertising used to be a man smoking a cigarette and "This is a cigarette", when the actual act of smoking was banned you saw a huge increase in the amount of creativity involved with adverts.

Compare, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0yADZZ7jvY

to virtually any modern cigarette ad.

Even actual TV shows display this. Compare Seinfeld to Curb Your Enthusiasm. Seinfeld had very, very deliberate restrictions placed on what they could and couldn't talk about, so they had to come up with creative euphemisms to bypass the letter of the law because that's all that they cared about.

So you'd get concepts like "Master of your domain" etc and other funny, creative means of referring to the elephant in the room, whereas with Curb it's pretty much explicit and boring.

Boundaries can be a very good thing for the creative medium, as virtually any creative person will tell you. Exploring a concept within rigidly defined bounds is one of the classic exercises of creative writing etc.
I can easily think of a lot of examples where a true work of are (not just ... advertising for cigarettes?) seemingly prospered in spite of, or possibly even because of, art. However, I can also think of examples for art prospering much, much brighter than anything you just came up with in the absence of any censorship. Bach, Rothko, Wallace.
And your claim wasn't "sometimes, censorship inspires art". It was: across the board, some degree of oppression is better than none.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Imagine hellthread but instead of one tezzor, half of the posters are tezzor.

i loving refuse to accept this reality

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cingulate posted:

Okay, and controlling for these? Is there any culture that's especially protective of racism? Is there one that facilitates racism?

Yes, lots. Why are we talking about this here? If you're interested in the subject, look on google scholar.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cingulate posted:

I can easily think of a lot of examples where a true work of are (not just ... advertising for cigarettes?) seemingly prospered in spite of, or possibly even because of, art. However, I can also think of examples for art prospering much, much brighter than anything you just came up with in the absence of any censorship. Bach, Rothko, Wallace.
And your claim wasn't "sometimes, censorship inspires art". It was: across the board, some degree of oppression is better than none.

Well if we're doing this i've heard people equate critical analysis to censorship. For what it's worth i don't think the Code was a good thing but I also don't think it killed comic books.

I don't think internet slapfights and clickbait articles are going to lead to censorship in any actual way.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Ghost Head posted:

holy loving poo poo. look at that gigantic tezzor post. Do D&D posters have to read poo poo like that? god drat. I'm sorry hell thread got moved here.

i've been probated for a week and charging up the spirit bomb

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
One of the things I like about Final Fantasy 15 is the return to minutiae. Locations are full of tiny details that make each location feel well-developed and personal and interesting. We haven't seen that since the PS1 days. Recent FF games have ignored this in favour of gaudy, ridiculous architecture. I feel that this is a gamergate issue because GG supporters don't like subtle details and just want to see tits and asses.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Since we seem to be getting into big post territory, I'll just quote David Auerbach's latest entry following E3, which aligns pretty well with what I think:

quote:

"It's like if all the movie reviews in the local newspaper were written by film studies professors who only like Atom Egoyan and stuff like that but were paid to pretend to be excited for the new Transformers movie." --TheHuss

The "indie" press (for lack of a better term: Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, and a slew of lesser outfits) have been unhappy with the E3. Gamergate hasn't been quite the focus, but it's been an undercurrent. Christian Nutt's focus on Gamergate in the E3 coverage (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/246125/The_ESA_clarifies_its_antiharassment_stance_future_of_E3.php) may seem perplexing. Why badger the ESA head now, ten months after Gamergate began, about why the ESA won't speak about GG? Especially when he clearly is Not Going to Say Anything?

There has been an undercurrent of rage from the non-mainstream gaming press toward the AAAs and the AAA press over the AAA refusal to rail against Gamergate and demonize its members. The adoption of ethics policies by IGN also smacked of appeasement to them. Over the months of coverage, there's been repeated sniping from all the journalists and many indie devs that the AAAs are just standing back and letting Gamergate happen, they're enabling the harassment, etc. (I'll just use "journos" to refer to that particular unhappy segment of the "indie" gaming press so I can stop typing "indie" in quotes.")

This rage is mostly impotent frustration. The journos wanted to use Gamergate as a lever for greater influence over the AAAs and to be included at the table for industry discussions. And given that the journos and their allies were increasingly out of sync with the majority of gamers, AAA support was their best bet for pushing their vision of what gaming should be, and, more baldly, for gaining influence. So if the AAAs were to say, "Gamergate is terrible, what can we do?", the journos could pipe up and say, "Glad you asked! Listen to us! Change your games like we say! Become art!" But the AAAs never asked. Despite the attempts of the journos to spin every AAA mention of harassment as a specific condemnation of Gamergate, the journos have continued to complain that the AAAs don't care about Gamergate.

The thing is, the journos are pretty much right. The AAAs are supporting Gamergate, at least tacitly. They don't want the journos to gain any more influence (or to stop losing influence), and they loathe this pseudo-academic "critique" stuff just as much as your average gamer. The thought of having to kiss the rear end of some PhD in order to gain an Indie or Social Justice imprimatur is insulting to them. They've got money to make. So by remaining silent on Gamergate and having IGN do the pageantry of adopting an ethics policy (no skin off their nose), the AAAs signalled that they were not in alignment with the journos. And they aren't. They are happy to see Gamergate take these people on--and that enrages the journos all the more. This wasn't a planned strategy on behalf of the AAAs, but it was an easy call to make once Gamergate was in play.

It's also important to understand the difference between amateur and professional corruption. If you talk to service workers at restaurants, they'll generally tell you that the worst treatment usually comes from small independent restaurants. Corporate chains and franchises tend to establish standards in order to ameliorate the possibility of lawsuits and to keep the corporate name's reputation intact. While treatment may not be great, there's an HR department ready to crack down if any one person gets out of hand. In a small restaurant, however, some crazy chef can be as much of a jerk as he wants, and no one can stop him as long as the place is successful. I can tell you horror stories. Capitalism is venal and heartless but it does tend to exert a smoothing effect with scale; excesses both positive and negative get ironed out and professionalized in the pursuit of making money efficiently. Albert O. Hirschman's The Passions and the Interests: Political Arguments for Capitalism Before Its Triumph is a fantastic little book about the early theorizing of capitalism and how its proponents argued that financial interest was a much more predictable and much less harmful motive than most other motives that people ever acted on. Hirschman was pretty left and very smart: http://www.waggish.org/2005/albert-o-hirschman-the-passions-and-the-interests/

And it is fortunate for men to be in a situation in which, though their passions may prompt them to be wicked, they have nevertheless an interest in not being so.
--Montesquieu

Which is to say, corporate corruption is professional. The journos and their favored devs made such easy targets for Gamergate because their corruption was absurdly inept. The AAAs and mouthpieces like IGN and GameInformer and PCGamer run a professional outfit: sure, it's all a big PR con job, but they aren't going to have journalists reviewing games by people they're publicly friends with (or if called out on it, they'll apologize, add disclosures, blah blah), and they eventually realize to cut out the Doritos nonsense, even if a bit too late. Moreover, they aren't going to be dumb enough to run a bunch of articles on the death of gamers. (That would be the "passions" trumping the "interests.") As far as incompetent corruption goes, the journos were the low-hanging fruit. Investigation into AAA corruption would take boots on the ground that Gamergate doesn't have. The journos made it easy. Indie scenes have always celebrated themselves, but they usually don't make themselves targets to quite this extent.

So Gamergate has been pretty convenient for the AAAs. Gamergate is doing the dirty work of distracting, annoying, and quieting a chronic irritation for the AAAs, and the AAAs just have to sit back and keep quiet. This drives the journos crazy, but there's not much they can do about it, short of politely griping in articles like Nutt's (or impolitely griping on Twitter). Meanwhile, the AAAs are cutting off Kotaku and Polygon even as gamers stop paying attention to them. The journos' strategy has backfired. There must have been some collective delusion that they thought their influence could actually pull some weight with the AAAs, even with Gamergate as a potential lever. As I've said before, I don't know what they were thinking. They ragequit their audience.

"We really did wind up on an elitist 'strategy' for whatever strategy existed, which was none. What makes it elitist? Well, we never actually bothered to try and convince the gaming public along the way. The end result was this split we can now see: Most gamers hated all this poo poo."
--LoadingReadyRun poster

TL;DR: indie devs and their journalist buddies are like the restaurants in Hells Kitchen that never learn from their mistakes and blame their audience when they fail. They were low hanging fruit.

Tezzor posted:

i've been probated for a week and charging up the spirit bomb

I unironically missed you.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Ghost Head posted:

One of the things I like about Final Fantasy 15 is the return to minutiae. Locations are full of tiny details that make each location feel well-developed and personal and interesting. We haven't seen that since the PS1 days. Recent FF games have ignored this in favour of gaudy, ridiculous architecture. I feel that this is a gamergate issue because GG supporters don't like subtle details and just want to see tits and asses.

the new girl cid has visible tanlines around her short shorts which is an incredible technological development, but she also has no rear end because the Japanese don't know how to model buttcheeks, this leaves me very conflicted on the game

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Head posted:

GG supporters don't like subtle details and just want to see tits and asses.
I think GGers rarely consciously identify with this position. They probably actually care much more about the same nerdery you seemingly care about. They just really hate having their niche infringed upon, especially by she-devils.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
David Auerbach is great and pretty much everything he's written about GG is required reading. I especially like his "How to End Gamergate" article that ran last October:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/10/how_to_end_gamergate_a_divide_and_conquer_plan.html

Although I think that a lot of the moderates in GG have left since he wrote this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Broniki posted:

the new girl cid has visible tanlines around her short shorts which is an incredible technological development, but she also has no rear end because the Japanese don't know how to model buttcheeks, this leaves me very conflicted on the game
Didn't know what a Cid was so I googled it.

This is poo poo. Defending one's right to see this is dumb. If you don't feel insulted by somebody trying to sell you this, you're ... much too nice.

• Locked thread