Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Always a second class citizen :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Updatin too. This owns

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

we'll get Android M circa 2017 at this rate

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe someone should tell them that 5.1.1 is latest

Does it event specify 5.1.1 in the update page? It was just 5.1 on my N7.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
It's just 5.1

We'll get the other .1 in August 2019

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Apparently the Turbo 5.1 update allows you to unlock the bootloader in dev options lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not too terribly concerned about the additional .1 since a lot of those enhancements were related to kernel on the Nexus devices. There weren't any user facing enhancements with it.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

Apparently the Turbo 5.1 update allows you to unlock the bootloader in dev options lol

That doesn't unlock the bootloader.

It needs to be checked before being able to run the fastboot oem unlock command. I imagine on a device like the Turbo, the bootloader is still quite locked.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

It's here!

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Thinking about returning from iOS to Android. Nexus 6 looks the business and I love AOSP. Anything else I should be strongly considering? TouchWiz is no. Also I'm in Australia so a few options probably aren't readily available.

How does it compare in general to the second gen Moto X?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you're good with/prefer that size of phone, then no not really.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Gigantophone is probably not my preference but I can live with it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What performance problems have you encountered?
It seems to have bad RAM management or it could just be bloated Samsung software. (Or possibly software that hasn't been properly optimized for a 64-bit chip yet.) It lags randomly and apps reload a lot when multitasking. I found some apps not even updating in the background like they should. It's a powerful phone with 3GB of RAM so it could very well be fixed with a software update in the future.

My wife seems to be pretty happy with hers but after The Nexus Experience™, I couldn't deal with it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Gigantophone is probably not my preference but I can live with it.

If you are even slightly on the fence, I caution you.

I love the Nexus experience too, but drat if the N6 wasn't like carrying around a cookie sheet. It just got old and I sold it off. Back to the Note 4, which is big as well, but easier to deal with because it's narrower in width. Measurements be damned, the N6 is just too wide...and comically wide with a case on (you will want a slim case...or griptape :getin:).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Using this just makes me even more irrationally angry at my Nexus 9. Even with 5.1.1 which resolve most of the glaring problems, it's still a DOG compared to this.

Can't even blame it on the resolution either since the turbo is just as high.

Here's hoping for a Snapdragon based Nexus tablet this year.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

hotsauce posted:

If you are even slightly on the fence, I caution you.

I love the Nexus experience too, but drat if the N6 wasn't like carrying around a cookie sheet. It just got old and I sold it off. Back to the Note 4, which is big as well, but easier to deal with because it's narrower in width. Measurements be damned, the N6 is just too wide...and comically wide with a case on (you will want a slim case...or griptape :getin:).

You ain't kidding man. I just picked one up and it's a monster. I like it for now, but I'm worried once I add a case it'll be crazy.

E: How is the Naked Tough Case for the N6?

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 30, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

bull3964 posted:

Last I heard rumors say no new Nexus tablet this year.
Which really loving sucks as the last good Nexus tablet was the 2013 N7 and thats getting OOOLLLLDDDD.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ilkhan posted:

Which really loving sucks as the last good Nexus tablet was the 2013 N7 and thats getting OOOLLLLDDDD.

I really hope that's not the case after such a wet fart of the Nexus 9.

Sigh, just give me a Nexus 7 with a 1440 screen, snapdragon 808, and 3gb of RAM and I'll be happy as a pig in poo poo.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

To be fair, the Droid Turbo isn't advertised as waterproof, just water resistant. Submersion is not recommended under any circumstance.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

What icon packs do you guys use?

I'm trying Elun and Zolo, but neither is perfect.

Elun makes unrecognized apps tiny as gently caress and Zolo barely has any apps.

Any suggestions?
If anyone knows a round icon pack that fills the circle with stock icon instead of making it tiny, that would be cool

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Honestly, if they never made another tablet, I don't think I would even care. I think any direction Android had towards being a tablet-capable platform in Honeycomb/ICS was wiped out in Jellybean and Kit Kat, and is effectively dead on Lollipop.

I mean, I bought an Asus Transformer with Windows 8.1, and I think it works better as a tablet than my Nexus 7 ever did.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Inacio posted:

What icon packs do you guys use?

I'm trying Elun and Zolo, but neither is perfect.

Elun makes unrecognized apps tiny as gently caress and Zolo barely has any apps.

Any suggestions?
If anyone knows a round icon pack that fills the circle with stock icon instead of making it tiny, that would be cool

I'm using a pack called "Stock UI"

Looks p rad

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Using this just makes me even more irrationally angry at my Nexus 9. Even with 5.1.1 which resolve most of the glaring problems, it's still a DOG compared to this.

Can't even blame it on the resolution either since the turbo is just as high.

I like this Lollipop build quite a bit, it seems pretty quick and responsive. Also, my phone finally works with my car stereo, reading me texts and alerts. Awesome.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kensei posted:

I like this Lollipop build quite a bit, it seems pretty quick and responsive. Also, my phone finally works with my car stereo, reading me texts and alerts. Awesome.

Oh, great! I'm looking forward to the Moto Assist app talking over bluetooth.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Digital Jesus posted:

You ain't kidding man. I just picked one up and it's a monster. I like it for now, but I'm worried once I add a case it'll be crazy.

E: How is the Naked Tough Case for the N6?

I ended up with a DBRAND skin and a glass screen protecter after having a case for a couple months and it's much nicer.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

hooah posted:

Oh, great! I'm looking forward to the Moto Assist app talking over bluetooth.

I'll try that later today, and see if I ask my phone something if it will pop over the stereo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Merv Burger posted:

Honestly, if they never made another tablet, I don't think I would even care. I think any direction Android had towards being a tablet-capable platform in Honeycomb/ICS was wiped out in Jellybean and Kit Kat, and is effectively dead on Lollipop.

I mean, I bought an Asus Transformer with Windows 8.1, and I think it works better as a tablet than my Nexus 7 ever did.
I'm looking at a surface pro but its the wrong size and shape to function well as a replacement reader/toilet-web-enabler to replace an N7.

Still need a 7-8 inch tablet to do that.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ilkhan posted:

I'm looking at a surface pro but its the wrong size and shape to function well as a replacement reader/toilet-web-enabler to replace an N7.

Still need a 7-8 inch tablet to do that.

Have you seen the Surface 3 (non-Pro)? 10.8" screen size, so it's larger than your 7-8", but it might be worth considering.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kensei posted:

I'll try that later today, and see if I ask my phone something if it will pop over the stereo.

I thought that's what you meant?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm not a phone person but my Turbo feels a lot snappier with Lollipop.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

alg posted:

I'm not a phone person but my Turbo feels a lot snappier with Lollipop.

Mine too.

Quick question: why doesn't Gmail show one of the new Heads Up style notification?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

hooah posted:

I thought that's what you meant?

I didn't start it, the text came in and my phone connected to my stereo and offered to read it to me. I didn't initiate a verbal command for Ok Google Now, that's what I will test.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Any word on when the Droid Maxx will get 5.1?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok. My beef is that the thing doesn't play the assist audio over BT. I don't use the voice actions enough for that to matter to me, but that would be good to know at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a surface pro 3 and as much as I like it, it's not a good replacement for a single handed tablet for casual browsing like a good 7" tablet is.

I'm REALLY annoyed that Samsung and others seem to be jumping on the terrible 4:3 bandwagon as I probably would have just bought a newer Tab S this year to replace the Nexus 9 otherwise.

Sigh, maybe I should just go to a phablet with my next phone and forgo having an android tablet altogether.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I hate to say it, but I vastly prefer an ipad to android tablets. My experience with my Tab Pro from last year is lukewarm at best.

What's in the pipeline that might be worth waiting on? My ATT S4 is working ok, but contract up and I'm bored with it. Generally sick of Samsung, and the nexus 6 is too big if my work 6+ is any indication. That basically leaves the 2014 x, or the sony z series - both of which aren't quite as easy to get my hands on. I don't feel like there's much worth waiting on, especially if the 810 isn't really looking that promising - and the overall trend of larger phones is a lukewarm proposition at best for me.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
So I'm looking to pick up a new phone, preferably an Android one. My old phone, which I've used for like the last 4 years, was this iPhone 4S.

What's the current best in line Android phones in terms of battery life? I'm generally looking for something with battery life longer than the iPhone when used like a spare internet browser.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

scaterry posted:

So I'm looking to pick up a new phone, preferably an Android one. My old phone, which I've used for like the last 4 years, was this iPhone 4S.

What's the current best in line Android phones in terms of battery life? I'm generally looking for something with battery life longer than the iPhone when used like a spare internet browser.

Droid Turbo if you want a flagship

I'm not entirely certain but if you're looking for budget phones the Moto G/E have really good battery life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I picked up a Nexus 6 with my Fi invite. So far, for the most part, I like the phone but one of my biggest complaints is that the stock keyboard seems to lag when I've been texting a lot. I've googled around I can't seen to find anything recent about this with the N6. Has anyone else experienced it? It was worse using Hangouts than Messenger, but it still happens. Using the stock keyboard.